Metal Storm logo
Storm - "Nordavind" Viking Folk Metal...

09.12.2006 - 00:16
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
I was looking for any informations about Storm and theirs album "Nordavind" on Metal Storm but I can't find any!
So I decided to started topic about this splendid project.

Storm was created by: Herr Nagell (a.k.a. Fenriz), (Drums, Vocals) and Sigurd Wongraven (a.k.a. Satyr), (Guitars, Bass, Synthesizer, Vocals).
Later joined to band Kari Rueslltten (vocals).
I am not going to write all history about theirs only one album "Nordavind". This is beautiful journey to Norwegian folklore and "traditional" culture made by two Black Metal misters (with little woman's help ). Traditional Norwegian folk songs were mixed wiith guitars.
Whole album is very melodic and full of viking passion and energy. Outstanding work!
If You like to share some of Yours opinions, thoughts, feelings about this masterpiece... write below!
09.12.2006 - 00:34
rebelos
Account deleted
it's probably the only folk thing i actually like!
and Fenzigs clean vocals are really great!
my personal favorite is "Melom Bakar" or sothing like that...
my norweish it's not so good
09.12.2006 - 01:06
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Storm are brilliant, a great little band, remind me of Otyg but (imo) better. As it was a one-off album, I can't rate them in my top 10 or anything, as Lumsk have released more albums and play the same style of folk metal.
09.12.2006 - 11:08
marilin
Account deleted
Very interesting project! My favourite is Langt Borti Lia- it is sa merry at the beginning and gets sad at the end... But Nagellsteb is a great song what me and my friends sing loudly and all together!
09.12.2006 - 19:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Here are MySpace pages
http://www.myspace.com/oppifjellet
http://www.metalfolk.net/index.php?section=2&band=29
Its all what I know I had listen band in myspace, but hope its wright band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.12.2006 - 23:50
Richard
Elite
I remember when Nordavind first came out, 1995 I think, I was expecting it to sound atmospheric and like a cross between Darkthrone and The 3rd and the Mortal because it had Fenriz and Kari Rueslattan in the band. So when I first heard it, of course it wasn't what I expected at all! Nowadays it's more common to have that kind of happy, bouncy folk Metal from Scandinavia, but at the time it seemed a bit too twee and hard to take seriously.. But it grew on me quickly, and in retrospect it was quite influential.

IIRC, Kari disassociated herself with the album afterwards because the nationalism of the project gave it a certain reputation, shall we say..

However, I disagree with Vidrageon in that I think Otyg is much better at that style, particularly the first Otyg album was excellent IMO.
----
12.12.2006 - 14:19
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
I think all traditional melodies taken from folklore are not only melodic but also contain something more. I am talking about theirs nostalgic moods mixed with beauty... and loveliness.
Folk songs usually are inspired by region (country) where somebody borns and grows up. This songs tells about this feelings, passions... and love to dear past. Also Nature has a big meaning and respect to Her too. But only people who understand this connections can create "deep" folk songs... like Herr Nagell, Sigurd Wongraven and Kari Rueslltten did on "Nordavind".
12.12.2006 - 17:16
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 11.12.2006 at 23:50

I remember when Nordavind first came out, 1995 I think, I was expecting it to sound atmospheric and like a cross between Darkthrone and The 3rd and the Mortal because it had Fenriz and Kari Rueslattan in the band. So when I first heard it, of course it wasn't what I expected at all! Nowadays it's more common to have that kind of happy, bouncy folk Metal from Scandinavia, but at the time it seemed a bit too twee and hard to take seriously.. But it grew on me quickly, and in retrospect it was quite influential.

IIRC, Kari disassociated herself with the album afterwards because the nationalism of the project gave it a certain reputation, shall we say..

However, I disagree with Vidrageon in that I think Otyg is much better at that style, particularly the first Otyg album was excellent IMO.

I prefer Otyg, but I consider Storm a better *band* per sé, it's hard to define...I think, as you pointed out, the influence of releasing such an album in 1995, especially during the music climate in Norway at the time, is admirable. I do this with a lot of music - I don't look at just what I prefer - but individual talent, time taken to make it, era it was made, etc, and from carefully weighing it, I think Storm comes out on top, but Otyg is not far behind.
15.02.2007 - 18:56
Kurzag
Account deleted
Most of the songs on the album is just old Norwegian folklore songs that are metallized. To be honest, I don´t see anything special in this band. Just a typical folk metal band. But thats just my opinion. Anyway, the female vocals by Kari Rueslåtten is pretty good
03.03.2007 - 17:00
Rimfrost
A little bit to racistic for me. But they are skillful musicans.
21.12.2007 - 16:05
Iceland_Norway
We could make an addiction to Videos List and Albums list??
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
19.01.2008 - 12:11
Surtur
Storm is a great band, Nordavind is one of the best norwegian folk discs that I ever heard...but sincerely I don't know why somebody can seem so surprised with this kind of music in that time, because Fenriz show us that mixture between folk and somekind of black metal before with his side-project Isengard when he released Vinterskugge on 1994...and some months before the release of Nordavind when with Isengard again he released Høstmorke and Satyr by his side gave us a great folk/ambiental with his project Wongraven...
----
" And every angel needs a tear to laugh "
21.11.2009 - 05:47
SatyriconChick
Amazing album Nordavind is, always loved it. Satyr is a freakin' genius.
21.11.2009 - 06:29
Dcera větru
Great album, amazimg songs Haavard Hedde and Langt Borti Lia my favorite songs
----
... I smell the steaming blood...on The way of hunting moon...
23.11.2009 - 00:23
Galar
Wicked Mung
Amazing album fenriz is the best
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK