Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica

Original post

Posted by SteTech, 19.05.2006 - 18:33
I couldn't help noticed there wasn't a thread for Sonata yet. They're one of my favourite bands, and I just got their new live DVD today. Watched it, and loved it! I have all the albums as well, with my fave's being Ecliptica and Reckoning Night. Winterheart's Guild is good, but for me, Silence just lacks the magic of the other albums. I know a lot of Sonata fans will argue that Silence is their best and all that shit, but I fail to see what you lot see in it. I'm not saying it's bad, just not their best
15.05.2012 - 09:39
Stabby
Account deleted
That is the kind of meme I can giggle at. And then stop . This is serious business now...

The album has been leaked! And I downloaded it and listened to it. And I liked it. In parts. Many parts. This is a big step up from last album for me, and has some really good songwriting. Some good guitar playing, some funny parts, ace vocals for an OLD GUY. I'm sorry Tony, that was mean and wrong.

It isn't another Winterheart's Guild, that's for sure. There is a strong rock influence, entwined with metal...and some other genres sometimes. I'm a rock fan and especially when it's half rock, half metal, so this works. The album exceeds my expectations but isn't as good as their early music.

I expect some good memes after this one. Get the meme monkeys to their computers and give them extra bananas!
21.05.2012 - 11:27
Hellbrann

New album is mediocre. Some highlights (Cinderblox, Wildfire II and III and Alone In Heaven) but overall not very memorable. Especially the first half of the album is more hardrock than metal and I can't say I really like that development. I like that Sonata still contains the same elements I used to love, but the way it's put together really disappoints me. Worse than Unia? I don't know, Stones... is more coherent than Unia. But it takes more time to grow on me since Unia was more metal. Too bad, they were once my favorite band...
----
Druantia | Folk metal
14.06.2012 - 21:20
vgmaster9

I always found them pretty good. "Victoria's Secret" is quite a nice song.
19.06.2012 - 19:29
Milena
gloom cookie
My god, this is brilliant almost makes me like the song.
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.06.2012 - 17:12
Waniyetu

... I am new here, and this is, in fact, my first post. Sonata Arctica have been one of my favorite bands for a long time, since the early 2000s, and I really am fond of their development despite the aural distance they've create between their older and newer albums. Sonata Arctica is still undoubtedly Sonata Arctica (it's not like they've changed genres completely or anything) and, I think with the progression seen on their past three albums especially, they've really crafted their own unique and instantly recognizable sound, whether people love it or hate it. To any trained melodic metal ear their earlier albums possess an instantly recognizable sound too, however, you play them back-to-back with some Stratovarius to someone who isn't too familiar with the genre and, well, there isn't going to be too much to set the two apart; thankfully that's different now, and I admire and enjoy the band's progression immensely. Well, anyway, that's a couple of my cents in regards to Sonata Arctica.

Those pictures of Tony with the lyric excerpts are fantastic by the way, haha.
27.06.2012 - 17:57
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Waniyetu on 27.06.2012 at 17:12

To any trained melodic metal ear their earlier albums possess an instantly recognizable sound too, however, you play them back-to-back with some Stratovarius to someone who isn't too familiar with the genre and, well, there isn't going to be too much to set the two apart; thankfully that's different now, and I admire and enjoy the band's progression immensely.

That's one of the reasons why I prefer some newer albums to some older ones, although they're not exactly progressing nor evolving, in a straight line - they're more like jumping from one place to another. The latest album was a devolution but I can still enjoy it. As always, I'm curious to see what the next one will bring, since they can't seem to settle for one sound for very long - I wonder what will be their next style switch.
----
27.06.2012 - 18:12
Waniyetu

Written by Milena on 27.06.2012 at 17:57

Written by Waniyetu on 27.06.2012 at 17:12

To any trained melodic metal ear their earlier albums possess an instantly recognizable sound too, however, you play them back-to-back with some Stratovarius to someone who isn't too familiar with the genre and, well, there isn't going to be too much to set the two apart; thankfully that's different now, and I admire and enjoy the band's progression immensely.

That's one of the reasons why I prefer some newer albums to some older ones, although they're not exactly progressing nor evolving, in a straight line - they're more like jumping from one place to another. The latest album was a devolution but I can still enjoy it. As always, I'm curious to see what the next one will bring, since they can't seem to settle for one sound for very long - I wonder what will be their next style switch.

I agree completely. Sonata Arctica does not progress in a "vertical" way (as if they have a solid foundation that they build upon with each album, like a tower) - no, instead they uproot themselves periodically and venture to new territories with each album, bringing only traces of the past behind to the future. This unpredictability is one of my favorite things about the band, especially since they do still manage to maintain a strong sense of personality despite their erratic nature.

And, although off-topic, has anyone else noticed the wolf on the cover of The Days Of Grays (it's kind of an elusive image but it's definitely there)?
27.06.2012 - 20:31
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Waniyetu on 27.06.2012 at 18:12

I agree completely. Sonata Arctica does not progress in a "vertical" way (as if they have a solid foundation that they build upon with each album, like a tower) - no, instead they uproot themselves periodically and venture to new territories with each album, bringing only traces of the past behind to the future. This unpredictability is one of my favorite things about the band, especially since they do still manage to maintain a strong sense of personality despite their erratic nature.

And, although off-topic, has anyone else noticed the wolf on the cover of The Days Of Grays (it's kind of an elusive image but it's definitely there)?

Did you just get into my head to type that response?
Actually, there's two wolves - the whole thing is in the shape of a wolf's head, but there's a cliff to the left in the shape of a head of a howling wolf!
----
27.06.2012 - 21:46
Waniyetu

Written by Milena on 27.06.2012 at 20:31

Written by Waniyetu on 27.06.2012 at 18:12

Did you just get into my head to type that response?
Actually, there's two wolves - the whole thing is in the shape of a wolf's head, but there's a cliff to the left in the shape of a head of a howling wolf!

Yes, I love the "hidden" wolf image, it's a great idea and was pulled off exceptionally well; and, needless to say, yes, I did get into your head for that response, haha.
28.06.2012 - 00:15
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 19.06.2012 at 19:29

My god, this is brilliant almost makes me like the song.

If his metal career ever goes down in flames he can do that at children's birthday parties. I would hire him.
28.06.2012 - 00:19
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 28.06.2012 at 00:15

If his metal career ever goes down in flames he can do that at children's birthday parties. I would hire him.

Tony could pull off... well, just about anything?
----
29.06.2012 - 01:30
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 28.06.2012 at 00:19

Written by Guest on 28.06.2012 at 00:15

Tony could pull off... well, just about anything?

I suspect that he could sing this...

...in the silly fur hat, and I would still give it a 7/10 on Metalstorm.

/fanboy
29.06.2012 - 01:39
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 29.06.2012 at 01:30

/fanboy

Well there's stuff I wouldn't like to see him doing (probably, lol). But this type of wacky stuff? Yeah, I'd give it 8/10
----
29.06.2012 - 04:30
Stabby
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 29.06.2012 at 01:39

Written by Guest on 29.06.2012 at 01:30

/fanboy

Well there's stuff I wouldn't like to see him doing (probably, lol). But this type of wacky stuff? Yeah, I'd give it 8/10

After Cinderblox I think that he might actually be able to do anything. I hope he never tries metalcore, though. Although he has a pretty good scream. Or rapping. Although he's a good lyricist. He's one talented bastard, that's for sure.
17.10.2012 - 01:31
chronic-headache

To me, this band is THE definitive flower metal band...and I love them no less, ever since I first discovered them from The Cage. I have none of their albums, through I have heard stuff from all but Unia and Stones.
29.11.2012 - 22:49
R Lewis

I bought their last effort, Stones Grow Her Name and, despite enjoying some rare, cool, moments, I still think they're far from what they wanted to achieve with their sperimentation since Unia's release. What do you think the band will try now? In which direction will they choose to go?
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
14.06.2021 - 05:22
Rexorcist

Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.04.2012 at 06:32

I'm usually on top of memes but what the hell is with the dude in the stupid fur hat?

That was rude! This is MANLY hair!

In regards to the OP, I'm finishing Silence right now. Focusing on Finnish power metal, and so far, I feel thar even though Silence is built on the most typical power metal sound there is, the album constantly surprised me with a flawless epic tone, constant changes in delivery but complete consistency, and a keen sense of musicianship. I haven't heard Ecliptica yet, but I'm seriously considering giving Silence a 100/100.
29.07.2021 - 23:14
Iwan Ruby

I first listened to them on a compilation album "The Keepers Of Jericho", and it's been so long ago (now I feel old). "Don't Say a Word" is my favorite song, but for the album i can't move on from "Ecliptica", in that album everything really feels something new at thats time..
----
My Band COLDERRA
My Zine ORIDISTRO