Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica

19.05.2006 - 18:33
SteTech
I couldn't help noticed there wasn't a thread for Sonata yet. They're one of my favourite bands, and I just got their new live DVD today. Watched it, and loved it! I have all the albums as well, with my fave's being Ecliptica and Reckoning Night. Winterheart's Guild is good, but for me, Silence just lacks the magic of the other albums. I know a lot of Sonata fans will argue that Silence is their best and all that shit, but I fail to see what you lot see in it. I'm not saying it's bad, just not their best
19.05.2006 - 19:14
Daru Jericho
I' a big Sonata fan although my favourite is Silence followed by Eclipitica. My favourite Sonata songs are shared between the pair. Silence had good musical variation, which is what I thinks lacks from their other works. I love the ballads on Silence, (the hated) 'Last Drop Falls' and 'Tallulah'. The album overall connotes a pretty feel. Best way I could describe it really. As for the later albums....they're OK, but they're missing something.

Jani Liimatainen is an awesome guitarist, one of my favourites! I'd love to see Sonata live. So many other people have
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

19.05.2006 - 19:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I like them too, even though I don't listen to them regularly. Very uplifting, happy music, quite good.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.05.2006 - 20:30
Lost One
Account deleted
I hear that the DVD's quality is very bad, and that Tony acted like a monkey on stage just because he knew the DVD was being filmed. If it is any good, I may consider getting it, but I'm not very hopeful.

Anyway, I love the music as well, my favourite songs being Tallulah, Die With Your Boots On (yes, a cover) and My Selene. There's many more of course, but those are the main ones. I wanna see them live someday!
19.05.2006 - 22:28
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I just love Sonata Arctica´s music. They´re one of my biggest favourites. My Land is their best song, but all the rest come right after that. I´m gonna see them twice this summer, as I go to both Tuska and Ankkarock. Can´t wait to see their amazing show again. Actually I got stuck listening to "The Cage" time after time today. It´s just so brilliant song. Sonata Arctica has songs that fit in every mood. Depends on the mood, which songs I choose to listen to, but for example when I´m in love, I listen to Talullah and Shamadalie.

@ Lost One Tony always acts like a monkey. I don´t know if you meant that literally, but those little things he does with his hands for example when singing "My Land" are just part of the show.
----
You'll never walk alone.
19.05.2006 - 23:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
I like Sonata Arctica, you get happy when you listen to them and "Shy" is a very beautiful ballad. "False News Travels Fast" is without doubt their best song!
----
20.05.2006 - 01:48
Horlequism
Account deleted
Sonata Arctica are alright...I used to really like them...saw them once...beleive me though, live they are AWESOME!...damn, they can really put on one hell of a show!...if anyone has doubts about them at all, their live performance would make up for anything...they deliver a solid intro to their show and at the end they just go on and on and end making you worship them
20.05.2006 - 02:44
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Really good band, I like the music, the lyrics, the vocals... everything and I'm one of the persons who say that Silence isn't their best album, I think that Ecliptica is the best one. Their best song... really hard decision, I think that it's False news travel fast
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
20.05.2006 - 04:18
vallhalen
Account deleted
as many of you, i find Silence like their best album. the balance between the guitar solos and the keyboards is superb. plus the vocals of Tony Kakko, who does a great job, we get band that makes you love it since your first try to their songs. my favorite ones would be My land, Fullmoon and Wolf and raven
20.05.2006 - 05:13
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I saw them in concert a few months back. While I am not a fan of Power Metal, I have to say, they did a fine job on stage. I don't think I have laughed that much at a show since I saw 'Wierd Al' Yanovick when he was Touring With Scissors. But having 500 people dancing around singing 'Run Away, Run Away, Run Away!' is pretty dang funny.
----
(space for rent)
20.05.2006 - 05:37
Megadeth88
Sonata Arctica is a wonderful Power metal band in my opinion. All of their songs make me happy, and I like that. I think my favorite album by them is "Ecliptica." Mainly because of "My Land." I love the solo in that song. It always gets to me. But other than that Tony Kakko is a great vocalist, and Jani Liimatainen is a brilliant guitarist.
20.05.2006 - 20:18
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Great band. Uplifting and positive energy is what I experience when listening to them. Haven't got any albums...just a few downloads in quite bad quality. Any recomendations if planning to buy an album?
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
20.05.2006 - 20:58
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Great band! My friends call them "Stratu Jr" haha....
Nothing agains Stratovarius, but I think Sonata Arctica is way better!
----
20.05.2006 - 21:02
__Az__
Sonata Arctica are brilliant... I love 'Wildfire'... The talking section at the start is brilliant...
20.05.2006 - 22:11
Stigmatized
Great band, as Nervel said, it's very uplifting music. Not to mention they're all talented musicians and great at what they do.
21.05.2006 - 09:22
Laevos
Account deleted
In my opinion, Sonata Arctica is the best power metal band nowadays. All their songs are great, especially the ones from the album Ecliptica. All of 'em have 5 stars in my playlist. Amazing band!!
21.05.2006 - 11:50
Hyvaarin
They're one of my top 3 bands. I love pretty much everything they've done, they're the kind of band I'm (kinda lamely) attached to. 'Tallulah' rates up there as one of the best ballads I've heard, I think.

Supposedly in 'Fullmoon' on the DVD, with the line 'got to make the love complete', Tony does a little pelvic thrust. As much as I love the guy, that's pretty lame, and I imagine it'd kinda ruin the atmosphere of the song. Did anyone else notice this?
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
21.05.2006 - 13:21
belgianmetalman
Account deleted
Well, no actually, but I can agree on how much you love the guy
I think Sonata Arctica is a great band that is yet to become far more known and wanted by festivals. Their live performance (I saw them on Pestpop 2006) is awesome.

My favorite songs are Replica, Don't say a word and Broken of course
21.05.2006 - 17:15
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ GT I´d say it would be best to start with Sonata Arctica´s first album Ecliptica. There are all the best songs, like "My Land", "Letter to Dana" and "Replica". But Silence is a brilliant album too, so buy either of those and you won´t regret.
----
You'll never walk alone.
21.05.2006 - 17:19
Stigmatized
I would actually recommend Winterheart's Guild, my first Sonata Arctica album. Great songs and an overall "catchiness" to the album. You really could buy any of their albums and be happy.
21.05.2006 - 19:23
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Written by Stigmatized on 21.05.2006 at 17:19

I would actually recommend Winterheart's Guild, my first Sonata Arctica album. Great songs and an overall "catchiness" to the album. You really could buy any of their albums and be happy.

this is true every single album is different yet great but i do find the last two albums sort of different. Winterheart's Guild is in my opinion a more mature album than any other previous one and some songs are just great on the other side i wouldnt reccomend for a first listener Reckoning night because in my opinion its a weird album and the kind of album that grows on you after several listens sooo yeah anything but that one could be a fine choice if you ask me
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
29.05.2006 - 15:49
Alex
Account deleted
I'm a huge Sonata Arctica fan also! I remember when i first heard them i hated them and couldn't stand it! But now.. Well, i love it! :-)

I hope to see them out here in Australia sometime!
29.05.2006 - 23:58
Dam3k
I starting listening to Sonata Arctica last year, since that I got all the discography and I was the whole day listening just Sonata Arctica and Nightwish, but nowadays I'm more interested in progressive metal... hard rock... us metal... so I don't pay them so much attention atm, anyway, they are one of my favourites and I think I'll continue loving them
----

30.05.2006 - 02:09
Twisted Brother
Account deleted
I love their melodies ond the fast rhythm. Of course Tony´s voice is also great.

THey also convinced me with their live performence!!!!!

GREAT BAND!!!!!
30.05.2006 - 18:49
delusionist
Sonata seems to be my absolute favourite band at the moment.... I listen to them every day... I'll see them in tuska.... Third time.... I really miss the piano they used to use, the new albums are good, but not as good as silence....
30.05.2006 - 22:09
SirHooke
Written by Guest on 21.05.2006 at 13:21

Well, no actually, but I can agree on how much you love the guy
I think Sonata Arctica is a great band that is yet to become far more known and wanted by festivals. Their live performance (I saw them on Pestpop 2006) is awesome.

My favorite songs are Replica, Don't say a word and Broken of course

I saw them that day too, and, as said, they were really, really awesome. I now have a drumstick .
They are one of my favourite bands, they combine speed, melody and emotions very good.
31.05.2006 - 01:32
Daru Jericho
Written by 4look4rd on 20.05.2006 at 20:58

Great band! My friends call them "Stratu Jr" haha....
Nothing agains Stratovarius, but I think Sonata Arctica is way better!

Same here. Although if Stratvarius didn't exist it would be safe to say that Sonata either wouldn't exist or sound much much different to the Sonata we know and love today.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

31.05.2006 - 06:44
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
"Winterheart's Guild" is really the only disc I care for from Sonata. The production is (as someone else mentioned in the thread) and the songs just feel more "mature" at times. "The Cage" and "Gravenimage" are awesome euro-power metal, and while they are certainly on a lighter side of power, they feel heavier because of the stronger production. Their releases afterward are forgettable and just terrible... The DVD is the worst thing I've heard from them, which is unfortunate, because I was hoping to see what they sounded like live and am thoroughly disappointed. (They cancelled their show here in my state due to "vocalist sickness'... whatever!).

Their earlier releases are good stuff, but I just don't get into them as much because they lack the punch that "Winterheart's Guild" does due to its broader production... at least to these ears!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
31.05.2006 - 16:32
TheKreator
Account deleted
The band that got me into power metal was Sonata Arctica.A very good lineup...and yes, i will argue...i do consider Silence thier best album ; Reckoning Night is second to me...i sure do hope i'll be able to see them play in Romania..
01.06.2006 - 12:45
Coté
The band is so damn good, I love Last Dropp Falls, Full Moon, Black Sheep, Silver Tong and many more.
I just hope to save enough money to buy somes CD's and DVD's
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::