Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica

Original post

Posted by SteTech, 19.05.2006 - 18:33
I couldn't help noticed there wasn't a thread for Sonata yet. They're one of my favourite bands, and I just got their new live DVD today. Watched it, and loved it! I have all the albums as well, with my fave's being Ecliptica and Reckoning Night. Winterheart's Guild is good, but for me, Silence just lacks the magic of the other albums. I know a lot of Sonata fans will argue that Silence is their best and all that shit, but I fail to see what you lot see in it. I'm not saying it's bad, just not their best
10.02.2011 - 22:28
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Written by Guest on 10.02.2011 at 18:23

Written by AtLossForWords on 09.02.2011 at 23:28

Honestly I've kind of lost interest in this band after Unia. I still some stuff off Winterheart's Guild and Reckoning Night, but I don't like Ecliptica as much as a used to, and the same goes for Silence. I'm really beginning to appreciate the earlier stuff from Stratovarius more, not to mention Blind Guardian and Wuthering Heights.

Sonata just needs to do something different with the drums. When I listen to them, I feel like I hear the same beat for almost four straight albums.

Going through that currently myself. I don't remember the last time I fully listened to Ecliptica or Silence from start to finish...listen to the odd track on Winterheart's Guild and Reckoning Night, but have nearly lost all interest in them and they used to be my favourite Power band. As for appreciating early Stratovarius...well, I'll get there

Hey I'm more than happy to admit it, but honestly Dreamspace, Fourth Dimension, and Visions are some pretty good power metal albums. I can't say I like them as much as Blind Guardian, but its still quality stuff.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
12.02.2011 - 14:55
RavenKing

Sonata just needs to do something different with the drums. When I listen to them, I feel like I hear the same beat for almost four straight albums.

I know where you're coming from. Drums are probably the most glaring flaw in Powermetal. There's such a lack of variety and drums are too loud compared to guitars that it becomes tedious at some point. If you listen too much to Powermetal, you end up having the feeling you hear only drums and the same fucking drums over and over. Problem is the loudness combined to the fact most Powermetal drummers only alternate bass drums right-left-right-left without any pattern or variety while not doing much with their hands.
When I started getting tired of Powermetal and loosing interest in the genre, it started like that. By having the feeling I was listening to the same boring drumbeat all the time. After a while, drums became an annoyance and I hated them more and more. Now, I think drums are simply tedious in Powermetal. Drums are so much better in Thrash, Death or Black Metal. When it comes to drums, Powermetal can't be compared to those genres. It doesn't touch their heel in terms of variety, speed and technicality.

Anyway, Powermetal can be good for a time but you eventually get over it and have to find something else. It becomes too generic, predictable and repetitive at some point and you get bored of it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.03.2011 - 01:08
moe5512

Written by RavenKing on 12.02.2011 at 14:55

I know where you're coming from. Drums are probably the most glaring flaw in Powermetal. There's such a lack of variety and drums are too loud compared to guitars that it becomes tedious at some point. If you listen too much to Powermetal, you end up having the feeling you hear only drums and the same fucking drums over and over. Problem is the loudness combined to the fact most Powermetal drummers only alternate bass drums right-left-right-left without any pattern or variety while not doing much with their hands.
When I started getting tired of Powermetal and loosing interest in the genre, it started like that. By having the feeling I was listening to the same boring drumbeat all the time. After a while, drums became an annoyance and I hated them more and more. Now, I think drums are simply tedious in Powermetal. Drums are so much better in Thrash, Death or Black Metal. When it comes to drums, Powermetal can't be compared to those genres. It doesn't touch their heel in terms of variety, speed and technicality.

Anyway, Powermetal can be good for a time but you eventually get over it and have to find something else. It becomes too generic, predictable and repetitive at some point and you get bored of it.

I don't think that you should compare drumming in different metal genres, rather on the drummer. I do think that sonata arctica has quite boring drums but they do fit in the music.
29.03.2011 - 23:41
Xtopher

And also you shouldnt generalize. i agree to some extent on power metal drums being monotone and uninspired, but you shouldnt put all power metal drummers in a bag like that. Symphony X´s Jason Rullo is one fine example of everything but boring. (though i dont know if you consider SX as power metal, but this site does so...)
----
31.03.2011 - 20:04
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Xtopher on 29.03.2011 at 23:41

And also you shouldnt generalize. i agree to some extent on power metal drums being monotone and uninspired, but you shouldnt put all power metal drummers in a bag like that. Symphony X´s Jason Rullo is one fine example of everything but boring. (though i dont know if you consider SX as power metal, but this site does so...)

Prog bands can't survive on the monotone drums of Power Metal. Can you imagine listening to the same rhythm for 10mins+ a song for instance
31.03.2011 - 22:17
Yasmine

Written by RavenKing on 12.02.2011 at 14:55

I'd say that's DM for me, only so much CHUG CHUGY CHUG CHUG you can do before it's stale as dried cow crap.

Anyway Stratovarius > SA.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
02.04.2011 - 19:47
Coté

Written by joaquin on 02.10.2010 at 03:29

Hey i have just a few things to say of Sonata arctica i have every album and dvd from ecliptica till unia, i bought reckoning night but i didn't want to, coz i didn't really like it, i listen to it but they where just afew songs that i could like, but i just wanted to keep my colection, so i also bought unia and i could say it was like or it should be call like reckoning night pt. 2.... the same stuff just like 3 songs where ok for me and they where just ok nothing especial... so what i have to say that sonata arctica for me it use to be good till winterheart's guild then the others albums they are just an big epic fail for me.... once again thats what i think

I haven't listened to those cds. I'm sorry that it was a waste though.
I usually listen to a couple of songs if I'm going to buy a new cd. I don't just buy it to complete the collection sincethings like that can happen.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
05.04.2011 - 06:58
Xtopher

Angra also comes to mind.
----
01.08.2011 - 12:06
Milena
gloom cookie
Don't worry dudes, even Tommy Portimo is bored of his drumming, he always demands to play something different or slower when Tony gives him the song Anyway, the drums are very good on Unia, but so damn silent in the mix of TDoG. I hate that album's production.
----
7.0 means the album is good
20.08.2011 - 15:22
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I only heard Ecliptica which is a good album, but the vocalist is very annoying at times. The music is very poppy, I can't find the guitar riffs while the vocalist is singing., and the solos are weak, especially the cheesy keyboard solos. The lyrics though are a complete mess.
21.08.2011 - 16:32
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 20.08.2011 at 15:22

I only heard Ecliptica which is a good album, but the vocalist is very annoying at times. The music is very poppy, I can't find the guitar riffs while the vocalist is singing., and the solos are weak, especially the cheesy keyboard solos. The lyrics though are a complete mess.

You probably won't like the later albums because on the next three the music is very soft and melodic and on the latest two it's pretty different and chaotic. The lyrics on the following albums are perfection to me, but since you're a guy in puberty, you probably won't find their themes (issues, worries, stalkers and victims, life stories of screwup people etc) very interesting Also, from the third album onward Tony Kakko finds his 'natural' voice, as opposed to the first two where he was pretty much trying to sound like Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius. It's pretty melodic again, so, yeah, you might not like that either, just don't think that their whole career is uniform. Or that they're cheesy, since most power metal bands are way more cheesy than Sonata Arctica.
----
21.08.2011 - 18:04
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 21.08.2011 at 16:32

Written by Guest on 20.08.2011 at 15:22

You probably won't like the later albums because on the next three the music is very soft and melodic and on the latest two it's pretty different and chaotic. The lyrics on the following albums are perfection to me, but since you're a guy in puberty, you probably won't find their themes (issues, worries, stalkers and victims, life stories of screwup people etc) very interesting Also, from the third album onward Tony Kakko finds his 'natural' voice, as opposed to the first two where he was pretty much trying to sound like Timo Kotipelto from Stratovarius. It's pretty melodic again, so, yeah, you might not like that either, just don't think that their whole career is uniform. Or that they're cheesy, since most power metal bands are way more cheesy than Sonata Arctica.

Sonata Arctica=Cheese at its' highest.
I won't mind lyrics about dragons and magic and swordsmen. But these. Like the ones on "Destruction Preventer".... Heat in the centre, lol, what does that mean?!
21.08.2011 - 19:47
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 18:04

I won't mind lyrics about dragons and magic and swordsmen. But these. Like the ones on "Destruction Preventer".... Heat in the centre, lol, what does that mean?!

It's a song about a dude with the power over the little red button which unleashes nuclear missiles. Granted, not all their songs have very good lyrics, there is cheese here and there in the form of a wayward love ballad...but just for the record, most people think dragons&wizards etc = cheese. And not "White Pearl, Black Oceans", "The Vice", "Deathaura", "Gravenimage", to name a few.
----
21.08.2011 - 21:19
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 21.08.2011 at 19:47

Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 18:04

It's a song about a dude with the power over the little red button which unleashes nuclear missiles. Granted, not all their songs have very good lyrics, there is cheese here and there in the form of a wayward love ballad...but just for the record, most people think dragons&wizards etc = cheese. And not "White Pearl, Black Oceans", "The Vice", "Deathaura", "Gravenimage", to name a few.

Dragons & Wizards =/= Cheese
Sonata Arctica = Cheese
22.08.2011 - 01:08
Metal_4Ever

Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 21:19

Sonata Arctica = Cheese

What does cheesy mean IYO
22.08.2011 - 01:11
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Metal_4Ever on 22.08.2011 at 01:08

Written by Guest on 21.08.2011 at 21:19

Sonata Arctica = Cheese

What does cheesy mean IYO

Yeah, that's been bugging me too but, it's okay to listen to whatever you want, no one's gonna shun you for not listening to Sonata Arctica here
----
22.08.2011 - 01:17
Metal_4Ever

Written by Milena on 22.08.2011 at 01:11

Yeah, that's been bugging me too but, it's okay to listen to whatever you want, no one's gonna shun you for not listening to Sonata Arctica here

It's a great band as well .
23.08.2011 - 21:42
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 21.08.2011 at 19:47

"White Pearl, Black Oceans" might have the best lyrics of any metal song actually. A beautiful, very poetic parable about the importance of morality.
24.08.2011 - 00:29
Hellbrann

The lyrics of White Pearl, Black Oceans are simply amazing. My favourite SA song and probably one of the best power metal songs ever. I llike Sonata Arctica a lot, their music helped me through a few difficult times.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
19.11.2011 - 00:39
Oaken
Hipster
The worst metal band I've ever heard. Ecliptica is the best representation of a crappy metal album IMO.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
21.11.2011 - 02:26
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Oaken on 19.11.2011 at 00:39

The worst metal band I've ever heard. Ecliptica is the best representation of a crappy metal album IMO.

I remember some Beast once said "Good album, too cheesy for me though"

Then again, the Beast was the only one capable of contradicting himself five times a day.
21.11.2011 - 02:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Vombatus on 21.11.2011 at 02:26
Then again, the Beast was the only one capable of contradicting himself five times a day.

He changes his internet persona more than I change my underwear.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.11.2011 - 15:49
Oaken
Hipster

It seems I'm quite notorious in here. I wish I won't be deleting any more accounts....
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 02:30

He changes his internet persona more than I change my underwear.

There's something I do more. You know what? Downloading and deleting Altars Of Madness. I'll live with it someday.
----
21.11.2011 - 21:51
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Oaken on 21.11.2011 at 15:49

There's something I do more. You know what? Downloading and deleting Altars Of Madness. I'll live with it someday.

Pffft.

I'm a fucking torrent junkie, so don't sweat it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
21.11.2011 - 21:56
Oaken
Hipster
Written by vezzy on 21.11.2011 at 21:51

Written by Oaken on 21.11.2011 at 15:49

Pffft.

I'm a fucking torrent junkie, so don't sweat it.

Sorry, but that was not what I meant. I can't enjoy that album due to some fucking lyrics in the song "Chapel Of Ghouls" (I listened to the album, from start to finish, and I quite liked it, but the lyrics just fucking restrict me from full enjoyment of this classic). Pffft (2).
----
21.11.2011 - 21:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Oaken on 21.11.2011 at 21:56

Sorry, but that was not what I meant. I can't enjoy that album due to some fucking lyrics in the song "Chapel Of Ghouls" (I listened to the album, from start to finish, and I quite liked it, but the lyrics just fucking restrict me from full enjoyment of this classic). Pffft (2).

Hypothesis: You are a Jesusfag.

Conclusion: Yeah, probably.

Seriously, I mean...

wait, hold on just a second...

I recall a member quite like you who opened a topic about non-Satanic black metal... was that you?
----
21.11.2011 - 22:03
Oaken
Hipster
Written by vezzy on 21.11.2011 at 21:59

Written by Oaken on 21.11.2011 at 21:56

Hypothesis: You are a Jesusfag.

Conclusion: Yeah, probably.

Seriously, I mean...

wait, hold on just a second...

I recall a member quite like you who opened a topic about non-Satanic black metal... was that you?

Re-Hyposthesis: I'm not. I'm a muslim.

Counter-Conclusion: I know I'm a fag, but it just bugs me.

I opened a thread about non-satanic Death. The one who opened a topic about non-satanic black was Sulac. That one's a christian, but like me, he gets offended.
----
21.11.2011 - 22:19
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Oaken on 21.11.2011 at 22:03

ISLAM SUICIDE BOMBER AL-QAEDA TERRORIST!

Seriously though, to be offended like that ain't normal.
----
24.11.2011 - 16:27
Oaken
Hipster
Written by vezzy on 21.11.2011 at 22:19

Written by Oaken on 21.11.2011 at 22:03

ISLAM SUICIDE BOMBER AL-QAEDA TERRORIST!

That statement is the definition of open mindness...
Does being a muslim mean you're a terrorist? If yes, then being a metalhead means you're a satanist. Isn't that right?
----
24.11.2011 - 16:29
Oaken
Hipster

Yeah, I guess I'll be grabbing the MS award for "Self-Contradictory Statements". Sounds cheesy?
"Good album, too cheesy for me though" was a first-listen reaction. I was happy at the time I heard it. Just try listening to it when you're angry or in a bad mood. You'll feel like killing yourself.
----