03. Eminent Wrath
04. As Grace Descends
05. Sullen Days
06. Pinnacle Of Bedlam
07. My Demise
08. Inversion
09. Rapture Of Revocation
10. Beginning Of Sorrow

Suffocation; one of the names in death metal. So recognisable by their blastbeats alone, the band helped shape extreme metal we have today. A decade ago the band were reforming after their temporary split, and in 2006 reached their modern pinnacle with their fantastic self titled album. The lacklustre Blood Oath following up unfortunately fell far short of expectation, leaving an awkward four year gap between itself and our new Suffocation album Pinnacle Of Bedlam.

Suffocation have never been a band to churn out album after album at rapid pace, and Pinnacle Of Bedlam is a perfect example of the rewards taking time can harvest. That's right; the Suffocation we all know and love have made their glorious return with their trademark blastbeats and distinctive sound.

The band have clearly put some serious effort into this album; Pinnacle Of Bedlam is a much busier album than the last. There's always something going on, the songs have always got a direction - be it blast your head off, or show off their slightly more technical side. Suffocation are the masters of holding a perfectly equal balance of traditional death metal, more brutally-based death metal, and technical death metal - which makes them one of the most well-rounded and enjoyable death metal bands around today.

With no intro track the first song smacks you in the face from the first second, and Pinnacle Of Bedlam refuses to relent almost entirely until literally the final drum blasts in the last second of the album. Suffocation make their unrelenting force enjoyable to listen to from start to finish; the album could be considered somewhat diverse for death metal standards, while maintaining their signature style stamped over the whole thing.

The production is much lighter than the previous album though, which may be good news for your neighbours, but does pull the album's punch just a bit. You are otherwise hard pressed to find anything here to wipe the huge smile off your face; the opening four songs especially are true Suffocation gems and beyond redemption for that last album. Certainly on par with the excellence of the self-titled album, Pinnacle Of Bedlam is Suffocation back at their best and another glorious gift to the death metal world. Get your Frank Mullen arm ready!

-

Death metal
Nuclear Blast
U.S.A.
Length: 38:18

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written on 27.02.2013 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 380 users
27.02.2013 - 14:35
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I would put this album on the same if not a lower level than Blood Oath. Generic modern death metal with little variation in anything musically.
27.02.2013 - 14:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I thought it was absolute pants. Pinnacle Of Boring would have been a better name.
27.02.2013 - 15:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I know numbers aren't everything and stuff but I do wonder what's so original about this...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2013 - 16:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.02.2013 at 15:02

I know numbers aren't everything and stuff but I do wonder what's so original about this...

remember this is the reviewer that reckoned that Vallenfyre was highly original
But at least Suffocation plays the style of music they always played and were one of the early originators in
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2013 - 17:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2013 at 16:07
But at least Suffocation plays the style of music they always played and were one of the early originators in

Yeah I can see that... It's like Napalm Death, no one really blames them of their grindcore style nowdays because hey... They pretty much started it. XP
I wouldn't compare this to their old Suffocation though. Well, at least with the production.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2013 - 18:17
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.02.2013 at 17:28

Yeah I can see that... It's like Napalm Death, no one really blames them of their grindcore style nowdays because hey... They pretty much started it. XP
I wouldn't compare this to their old Suffocation though. Well, at least with the production.

Napalm Death's first two albums are vastly different than their recent material.
Suffocation used to have a generally distinct sound (I've never heard an album that really reminded me of Effigy Of The Forgotten), but now they've fallen into the abyss of generic shit
27.02.2013 - 18:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 27.02.2013 at 18:17
Napalm Death's first two albums are vastly different than their recent material.
Suffocation used to have a generally distinct sound (I've never heard an album that really reminded me of Effigy Of The Forgotten), but now they've fallen into the abyss of generic shit

What I meant is that... In a way, it's hard to call bands like Napalm Death or in this case Suffocation to be fully generic and unoriginal considering that the generic stuff going around wouldn't even exist because they are responsible for it. That's how I see it anyway, never called Napalm Death generic and probably never will. XP I still disagree with Marcel who said "at least Suffocation plays the style of music they always played" since it's still quite different.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2013 - 18:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.02.2013 at 18:22

That's how I see it anyway, never called Napalm Death generic and probably never will.

Napalm Death's pure death metal stuff is as generic as it comes
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2013 - 18:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2013 at 18:30

...and I won't call any of their latest 5 full lengths to be death metal. Their middle period is hella generic for death metal indeed.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.02.2013 - 18:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.02.2013 at 18:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2013 at 18:30

...and I won't call any of their latest 5 full lengths to be death metal. Their middle period is hella generic for death metal indeed.

I am talking about their middle period whent hey jumped on the death metal bandwagon. Although their latest 5 aren't generic they are boring as hell. Only albums which are must heras and haves are the first two they ecer released

As for Suffocation although this new one isn't like their older ones soundwise it is unmistakingly still clearly Suffocation
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.02.2013 - 20:48
youngwes16

This album is really good.
28.02.2013 - 01:25
I_Die_Often

I love the comment "Get your Frank Mullen arm ready!"
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
28.02.2013 - 20:14
Rating: 9
Misfit74

Great album. I think the production is excellent.
01.03.2013 - 00:41
TrollandDie

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.02.2013 at 18:42

Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.02.2013 at 18:36

I am talking about their middle period whent hey jumped on the death metal bandwagon. Although their latest 5 aren't generic they are boring as hell. Only albums which are must heras and haves are the first two they ecer released

As for Suffocation although this new one isn't like their older ones soundwise it is unmistakingly still clearly Suffocation

I honestly think that their 3rd release, Harmony Corruption, is a death metal masterpiece.

Anyways, Suffocation are about the performance for me at least, so they could keep pulling out NY-style death metal until the sun turns red. I'll still be content.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
03.03.2013 - 18:11
Neroese
Account deleted
Pineapple of Bedlan?
16.03.2013 - 02:56
Mattybu

Written by Misfit74 on 28.02.2013 at 20:14

I think the production is excellent.

same, there's actually some worthwhile melodies happening so I like the fact that they are audible. its definitely modern production, but there is nothing wrong with that
04.06.2014 - 06:46
Dr.Overkill26

Just gotta get paid then I can buy this album... Listened to it on spotify when it came out, didn't like it. but since then it's been growing on me.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie

Hits total: 9569 | This month: 16