04. לילה
05. Suspiria de Profundis
06. Through The Velvet Black
07. Rånda
08. When The Sky Is Black With Devils
09. Spell
10. Ultra Silvam
11. Apparitions

Anyone familiar with Tribulation's excellent The Horror record may as well delete their brain-cache as the new album is almost nothing like it. Whilst The Horror was a crusty, energy driven death metal number with a few black metal bells and whistles, The Formulas of Death has mutated into a highly dynamic and diverse mix of black and death metal that's quite progressive in nature, made even more eclectic by lengthy psychedelic soloing and clean passages and some surprising melodic harmonies. In fact the entire affair is so clever and intoxicating that the 75 minute duration will positively fly by and still leave you craving more. If you have any interest in black or death metal, or any kind of quality music, then you need this in your life as it's simply a brilliant piece of metal engineering. AOTY material.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 33 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 55   Visited by: 620 users
01.03.2013 - 01:17
Rating: 6
theFIST

Unusual song names for that band....
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
03.03.2013 - 04:12
Rating: 5
Rulatore

This album sucks, I wasn't expecting it after "The Horror"
05.03.2013 - 16:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Hmm, this sounds pretty damn good to me going by this track. Could be as good as The Horror. Love the clean, spacey soloing.

Second track...

Yep, this is gonna be a good album.
05.03.2013 - 17:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Checked it out earlier today and although different to their earlier work it is a damn fine album. Will be seeing them on March 22 together with Alchemyst, Ketzer and Venenum and will be sure to pick up a copy of the album then.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2013 - 17:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This is an incredible record. They really understand how to evolve a sound. I always found The Horror had a lot of black metal in, and on this I'd say it could even be more black metal oriented than it is death. Hugely dynamic, constantly shifting songwriting ranging from the crusty death metal of The Horror to some pretty avant-garde, or at least very non-standard, black metal riffing and lots of psychedelic clean passages and soloing. It pretty much has everything, on top of the overall great sound, guitar tone and production.
05.03.2013 - 19:15
Rating: 9
Paz

Terrific stuff! Quite long but not boring even for a second o.O
05.03.2013 - 21:45
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 05.03.2013 at 17:24

This is an incredible record. They really understand how to evolve a sound. I always found The Horror had a lot of black metal in, and on this I'd say it could even be more black metal oriented than it is death. Hugely dynamic, constantly shifting songwriting ranging from the crusty death metal of The Horror to some pretty avant-garde, or at least very non-standard, black metal riffing and lots of psychedelic clean passages and soloing. It pretty much has everything, on top of the overall great sound, guitar tone and production.

I listened to it late last night and wasn't impressed at all. I just re-listened to it today and found it significantly better, but nothing 9 worthy. Maybe it will keep getting better with every listen
07.03.2013 - 19:43
Nefarious
Doom Knight
I finally gave this a spin tonight & i must say i'm quite impressed. Looking forward to giving it a few more spins to fully digest what's on offer as there is a lot to take in.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
09.03.2013 - 21:32
Vombatus
Potorro
Has a Watain vibe, in a sort of DM way.... fantastic stuff.
09.03.2013 - 22:25
Rating: 10
scaesura

This.

This albums is amazing. I've been listening to it almost constantly. It's just great stuff, on every level. Songwriting, production, riff lexicon, etc.
09.03.2013 - 22:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by scaesura on 09.03.2013 at 22:25

This.

This albums is amazing. I've been listening to it almost constantly. It's just great stuff, on every level. Songwriting, production, riff lexicon, etc.

Glad people are listening to this. Could have gone mostly unknown.
12.03.2013 - 15:45
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Something about this album has me constantly coming back to it. It's nowhere near my favorite of the year (I'm keeping my rating at a 7.5 right now), but it's becoming my most re-played album.
21.03.2013 - 17:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Strange that this album has an average score of 7.9 whereas The Horror averages 8.6 when in fact this album is vastly superior.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2013 - 17:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.03.2013 at 17:37

Strange that this album has an average score of 7.9 whereas The Horror averages 8.6 when in fact this album is vastly superior.

And has wider appeal too I'd say. It's definitely a mystery.
21.03.2013 - 17:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 21.03.2013 at 17:39

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.03.2013 at 17:37

And has wider appeal too I'd say. It's definitely a mystery.

INdeed, it's not that The Horror is bad. Personally would rate it 7.5 whereas I would rate The Forumals Of Death an 8.5
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2013 - 17:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.03.2013 at 17:50

INdeed, it's not that The Horror is bad. Personally would rate it 7.5 whereas I would rate The Forumals Of Death an 8.5

That's how I'd rate them too. The former is solid and fun but this one is definitely more creative and enjoyable.
31.03.2013 - 18:13
Rating: 8
Diverge

Typical with most prog-death, most of the songs overstay their welcome and are comparably somewhat generic at points. Not that this is indicative of my own rating, but I think the 7.9 rating reflects the boredom of some listeners. It's so easy to see why the rating would be low when you look at the flavors of the week Metal Storm users enjoy.
06.04.2013 - 22:42
Rating: 8
Sunioj

At first I didn't like it too much because the interludes and abstract parts killed it for me (I have a low attention span), but after listening to is many times I enjoy it way more. Also, its just awesome to see musicians do what they want, make their sound stand out from all the other osdm revival bands and still kick ass.
15.09.2013 - 15:49
3rdWorld
China was a neat

Black metal? Clearly, more of a Thrash Death record with little prog tendencies. It might be having some dark passages that is reminiscent of black metal albeit with the absence of blastbeats or palm-muted riffing, sounds nothing like any BM band I've heard. The closest sounding band to this i can think of is Sylosis.
15.09.2013 - 16:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 15.09.2013 at 15:49

Black metal? Clearly, more of a Thrash Death record with little prog tendencies. It might be having some dark passages that is reminiscent of black metal albeit with the absence of blastbeats or palm-muted riffing, sounds nothing like any BM band I've heard. The closest sounding band to this i can think of is Sylosis.

Nah, I don't hear much, if any thrash in this. It's been scaled back a lot from what was in The Horror. Definitely a prog drenched black metal album to my ears. The melodies and progressions don't really lend themselves to thrash anymore, and the structure and pacing certainly doesn't.

If you want something more similar check out Rudra's last album. Quite similar, only minus the proggy, psychedelic elements. It borders on thrash but I would still not call it a thrash record either.
15.09.2013 - 16:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 15.09.2013 at 16:06

Nah, I don't hear much, if any thrash in this. It's been scaled back a lot from what was in The Horror. Definitely a prog drenched black metal album to my ears. The melodies and progressions don't really lend themselves to thrash anymore.

Maybe the black metal tendencies have crept in this record without their intention of its creators. I've checked MA,their official FB page and they have no label of black anywhere else. I will say it builds an Blackened sound to an extent, but only on an influence level and not enough to label them Black.
15.09.2013 - 16:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 15.09.2013 at 16:14

Maybe the black metal tendencies have crept in this record without their intention of its creators. I've checked MA,their official FB page and they have no label of black anywhere else. I will say it builds an Blackened sound to an extent, but only on an influence level and not enough to label them Black.

Well most places still cite them as a death metal band, and this is definitely not death metal Going through the reviews on Metal Archives the genre seems to be undecided by people.
15.09.2013 - 16:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 15.09.2013 at 16:18

Well most places still cite them as a death metal band, and this is definitely not death metal Going through the reviews on Metal Archives the genre seems to be undecided by people.

Btw who adds the genre tags to albums now? I remember it was Troy who took care of genres but last time he logged in was 393 days back.
15.09.2013 - 16:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 15.09.2013 at 16:22

Btw who adds the genre tags to albums now? I remember it was Troy who took care of genres but last time he logged in was 393 days back.

A variety of people. All staff, most elites and many normals have the ability to change the genres.
15.09.2013 - 16:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Oh my, yes it is based on the community points right! Seems i have to go through the Site's FAQ all over again.
27.11.2013 - 14:28
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog

I'd say it's thrashened black If this sounded like Sylosis I'd be all over this, but this sounds like Watain to me - at least after skimming through a couple of songs...
27.11.2013 - 15:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by LeKiwi on 27.11.2013 at 14:28
I'd say it's thrashened black

That seriously has to be one of the ugliest sounding non-words I've ever read in my life.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.11.2013 - 15:32
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.11.2013 at 15:27

I'd say it's thrashened black

That seriously has to be one of the ugliest sounding non-words I've ever read in my life.

No. It's kvlt.
27.11.2013 - 21:45
3rdWorld
China was a neat

I'd say it's thrashened black If this sounded like Sylosis I'd be all over this, but this sounds like Watain to me - at least after skimming through a couple of songs...

Ya something like that. Pretty unique black metal (From what Joe and Marcel have been preaching me on genre labeling, I might agree on some level cause I truly am very bad at labeling genres especially for something like this) if you ask me since everything except the riffs has vibes of other genres here.
27.11.2013 - 21:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It has elements of black, thrash, death and prog, so where this will end up in the awards is yet to be determined.

Hits total: 13915 | This month: 23