03. Pour My Love
04. Power
05. Montreal
06. Invisible Ink
07. Lucky Man
08. The Sky Above The Rain

Disc II [deluxe edition bonus DVD]
+ Making Sounds

Sounds That Can't Be Made is a release from late 2012 from the British Marillion. Ever since Steve "h" Hogarth's entrance in the band, Marillion presented a very different personality compared to what they presented with former vocalist Fish. I read once in a magazine or on the Internet that if Coldplay had released an album like this, the album would have sold out all over the world. I agree with the sentence, Marillion are put aside when it comes to selling albums, but I also think it's their own fault. Their material is not commercial at all, mainly ever since Hogarth's entrance in the band. They are definitely more artistic, but the big problem is that all the songs have a very deep meaning and don't go straight to the point.

In this album, the British natives return with a typical Marillion album: very artistic, deep, meaningful, and very very lengthy. I like the band now but I enjoyed them much more in the Fish-era, they were much more progressive, direct and straightforward with their music than they are now. The album itself covers all type of favourite subjects for Marillion like war, love, reflection, thought, and life. Sounds That Can't Be Made starts with the very real and emotional "Gaza", the track is a 17-minute epic track with different tempos and different degrees of intensity. There are three different songs that are more than ten minutes in length: "Gaza", "Montreal", and "The Sky Above The Rain". The title track is one of my favourites, "Sound That Can't Be Made" is one of the shortest tracks on the album and one of the most difficult to interpret, it may have different meanings and several interpretations. It's very well produced, like all the albums of the group, the band always kept a great sense of regard in that field. The band's performance is perfect for this album, great voice by Steve "h" Hogarth, great guitar moments by Steve Rothery and great instrumental union of the bass, drums and keyboards.

Although I have a few critiques of the style of playing and composing of the band, I admire their talent. The band is one of the few that like to give the fans their money's worth and like to play what they want and not what is commercially accepted. They compose what they love and never sell out to some type of radio audience. "Gaza", "Sounds That Can't Be Made", "Power" and "Montreal" are my favourite tracks. It's a "must-listen" album for the fans and true admirers of the band. For those who don't like the band's persona, I wouldn't recommend the entire album but at least three or four tracks.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by AndMetalForAll | 02.03.2013

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 46 users
03.03.2013 - 14:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Interesting.

I'm yet to listen to this album properly. I did give it a few spins but didn't give it as much attention as I think it deserves. I hope I can do that soon.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.03.2013 - 02:01
Rating: 8
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Sounds That Can't Be Made Official Trailer

----
greets,
kual21
01.08.2015 - 04:56
Rating: 9
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Killer album. Complex enough to grow on the listener after repeated listens but full of gems.
06.08.2015 - 13:02
Daniell
_爱情_
I've been a fan of Marillion since 1986. I never got back into them after Fish left.

But it's not my point. My point is - why is this (admitteldy great) band even featured here???
23.06.2016 - 13:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Daniell on 06.08.2015 at 13:02

I've been a fan of Marillion since 1986. I never got back into them after Fish left.

But it's not my point. My point is - why is this (admitteldy great) band even featured here???

Are you still only enjoying the Fish era albums?
----

My Instagram
23.06.2016 - 13:49
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by BloodTears on 23.06.2016 at 13:24

I am, and it's not likely to change
And I still don't know why Marillion is featured on MS...
23.06.2016 - 15:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 23.06.2016 at 13:49

Same here, on all points. Although I can stomach Season's End.
Fish has so much more personality and emotion to his voice than whatever his name is, who is technically a better vocalist, tbh. Just listen to Clutching At Straws and then any album with the other guy. Nope, Marillion clearly died for me when Fish left.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.06.2016 - 20:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Daniell on 23.06.2016 at 13:49

But did you give the guy a chance? Even Marcel can stomach Season's End which is amazing by the way ahah Afraid of Sunlight is especially good too.

As for the band being on MS, probably due to someone reviewing it.
----

My Instagram
23.06.2016 - 22:06
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by BloodTears on 23.06.2016 at 20:29

But did you give the guy a chance? Even Marcel can stomach Season's End which is amazing by the way ahah Afraid of Sunlight is especially good too.

As for the band being on MS, probably due to someone reviewing it.

I listened to every single Marillion album, at least a few times each. Steve Hogarth is the most offputting vocalist I can think of. I can't help it.

Hits total: 4848 | This month: 11