Metal Storm logo
Tribute to Metalstorm

04.03.2013 - 03:33
theFIST
Thread for posting any material that might be used on the planned compilation/collaboration album made by various metal storm users

EDIT 1:
bandcamp page http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com/
EDIT 2:
cover artwork competition http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=44897
EDIT 3:
due to there having been no cover artwork submissions i deleted that thread, painted a suggestion and posted it in this thread
EDIT 4:
poll for the release date of the second compilation http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=49711
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
04.03.2013 - 04:33
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I doubt we can actually get to something with this, but well... this month I'm buying recording-related hardware to set up a mini-studio home (for my main band) and I'll write and record a song for this.
04.03.2013 - 10:48
ANGEL REAPER
Hey i wanna in...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.03.2013 - 11:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What is the background of this idea? and what is the idea itself?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.03.2013 - 13:39
theFIST
Written by Ellrohir on 04.03.2013 at 11:17

What is the background of this idea? and what is the idea itself?

a conversation in the shoutbox involving Draven Edge, Guib, Unhealer and myself
the ideas were to either have a track to which everyone adds something that fits to it or to have everyone submit a track and make a compilation
it seems like the compilation idea succeeded
----
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
04.03.2013 - 13:43
theFIST
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 04.03.2013 at 10:48

Hey i wanna in...

you can by recording a song for it and posting it here (or whereever it will be posted finally)
----
04.03.2013 - 14:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I should think about this...how it should be themed?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.03.2013 - 15:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
We could agree on a genre and make an album based on that one, but we would be ages deciding that and there are surely people who doesn't like/want to write a song of that genre and things like that. So if this actually becomes a thing, it will be a very random compilation... could be fun
04.03.2013 - 15:18
ANGEL REAPER
If its a compilation than i may have some track to add...
btw does the thematically,the track have to be about Metal Storm or what?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.03.2013 - 18:14
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 04.03.2013 at 15:18

btw does the thematically,the track have to be about Metal Storm or what?

Up to you as well, but that could be hilarious I would be expecting someone to dedicate a doom metal tune to the mourning of Troy not being here anymore. The thread title can be a little misleading though, nobody said anything about a tribute or that is FOR metalstorm, it actually would be FROM metalstorm.
04.03.2013 - 19:22
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Please, chosen genre shouldn't be "Progressive Metal".

It should be either Thrash Metal or..........Doom?!
04.03.2013 - 20:45
theFIST
Written by Draven Edge on 04.03.2013 at 19:39

track length for each submission

i"ll probably stay somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes, but any lenght that works for the song should be ok

if we designate a certain genre, it will create limitations, so any Metal related genre will do

that"s extremely broad, but interesting, might give much variation

I think all tracks should be made "for this" project, not just a bunch of old tracks submitted.

completely agreed

All tracks should be okayed by a staff member

why that?
why not take all tracks submitted by the users that put effort into recording a song for this?

It would be cool to have it themed, "Storms" would be cool, and also a pretty versatile topic. That also helps people like myself, I do mostly instrumental work, so storm sound effects could be utilized. (I use effects a lot in my work)

good theme, agreed

Most importantly though is I believe we should create a good time frame, say 3 months. That should give those interested time to create something really cool.

agreed
so, submission on 04.06.2013?
----
04.03.2013 - 20:51
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Let the staff get involved only if any of them want to, it's not like this will be the official MS album or anything like that, I don't think the outcome will have the quality to withstand that... responsibility if you put it that way. Agree the ideal thing would be that the songs are new, not a long-forgotten composition written in guitar pro from 2009
3 months is not enough, I think we can take the whole year or most of it to do this, at least not set any due date and finish this when we have enough material.
04.03.2013 - 22:06
ANGEL REAPER
Well i can make something as a sketch at least for 3 months time...or even to finish it in that time ,but i agree that this project can last for even a year.... maybe working version can be made for 3 months?...you know like demo or something so that we could see how will it look like in the future?
----
04.03.2013 - 23:44
?apleee
Mouthcrab
I'd be fine if you guys wanted to use anything from my album.

http://soulintruders.bandcamp.com/
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
05.03.2013 - 00:37
InnerSelf
proofread free
I'm in too was about to suggest something similar to this tbh, the MA's have some sort of songwriting competition in the forums and I've been following them and they're quite fun ... but this is a cool idea too.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.03.2013 - 00:42
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I'm not really interested in this, as I have otehr things I'd rather be spending time on (Mainly RH) but I could do a little ambient track if need be.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.03.2013 - 03:06
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Draven Edge on 05.03.2013 at 02:07

Makin musics fun......let's do it...

I just think you are taking it waaaaay too seriously. And I don't want to send tracks and write about storms and such; I'll just be writting a song, recording it and contributing it just for fun. If you guys agree with the staff or whathever to make an "official" effort out of this then let it be, but I don't want to be involved in that part, I'll just contribute the song.
If I were part of the staff I probably wouldn't like that idea too much to be honest, though.

Written by InnerSelf on 05.03.2013 at 00:37

the MA's have some sort of songwriting competition in the forums

This kind of thing sounds fun as well!
05.03.2013 - 16:21
theFIST
Written by Draven Edge on 05.03.2013 at 09:52

Not too seriously, just trying to organize it well. So here goes
Format: Wav or Mp3
The only thing I ask is that you fade into and out of the song. "No dead ends"
Submit track to:TBA (I'll make a specific e-mail address for the project tomorrow and post it here)

extremely seriously organized for that purpose....
in case it"ll get uploaded to bandcamp (which would probably be a good idea) .wav would work better
what if jumping right into it full force is what a song needs? there are many that would lose much of their power if they were faded in
same for the end, some songs work better with a powerful sudden end, others with fading out
requesting fade in and fade out requires quite some songwriting restrictions, even when i keep them i wouldn"t force them on everyone participating
i"d prefer a submission open for everyone participating to see, something like posting a mediafire link in this thread

anyways, agreed to the time frame, at least for me that"s certainly enough
----
05.03.2013 - 19:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Writing process : initiated.
I like the concept a lot, Storms are really inspiring.

Written by Unhealer on 05.03.2013 at 03:06

This kind of thing sounds fun as well!

Will think about this in the near future hopefully
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
06.03.2013 - 00:36
ANGEL REAPER
I like the e-mail's name
----
07.03.2013 - 22:18
theFIST
Did a first demo guitar recording today, generally happy with it, but will have to remove, maybe rearrange a few parts before getting something that can be used in the final product
----
08.03.2013 - 02:09
?apleee
Mouthcrab
Written by Draven Edge on 05.03.2013 at 09:52

9/11

This is with the Western dating system (September 11th,) right?
----
"Without judgement, perception would increase a million times."~Chuck Schuldiner

Less coherent than Anal Cunt.

Eric Brecht once liked my Facebook comment. Therefore, by the translative property, Chuck Schuldiner like my comment.
08.03.2013 - 04:47
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Bandcamp, nobody uses Myspace anymore.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.03.2013 - 11:27
ANGEL REAPER
I have made a concept ...and did some experimenting with it.... i generally like it ,just need to find better recording gear and to write good lyrics .expect one old school black metal track from me...
----
13.04.2013 - 00:51
ANGEL REAPER
The thread may died out but i'm still working on my own material...so far i have written 5 songs (4+ instrumental-around 25 minutes worth) and i'm working on lyrics for them ...i think i will finish some material this spring (i still need to write and make drums,rehearse it,and tweak my voice ...)
----
13.04.2013 - 01:23
ANGEL REAPER
So to everyone who are interested on what I am doing here is one sample (its a minute long rehearsal with guitars,drums and vocals on crappy equipment so dont have high hopes )
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hd4q8jcyqwch8d9

so what do you think guys?
----
14.04.2013 - 18:08
Vombatus
Potorro
I think it sounds nice AR, the vocals add quite an old-school feeling... what drum programme did you use ?

btw, I might contribute with something, writting more metal-ish stuff for my project (i.e more prominent guitars...) but we'll see.
14.04.2013 - 20:16
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Vombatus on 14.04.2013 at 18:08

I think it sounds nice AR, the vocals add quite an old-school feeling... what drum programme did you use ?

btw, I might contribute with something, writting more metal-ish stuff for my project (i.e more prominent guitars...) but we'll see.

thanks man ,i'm always glad to hear opinions about my work...vocals were inspired both with Celtic Frost and newer Darkthrone so i probably ended up with quite old school combo there
I was using Acoustica Beatcraft for drums (its good for making drum parts but it is a pain in the ass for combining the parts into one layer )
----
18.04.2013 - 06:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.04.2013 at 01:23

so what do you think guys?

Hey, it sounds good! I'd advise you to change the hi-hat (or whathever that was) sound for the sections like the one at 0:14, it's terrible.

BTW, I still plan on doing this just for the experience I'll get doing it, since with my new band we aren't that far from attempting to record our first EP ourselves...