04. Dance Of Descent
05. Another Empty Haven
06. Strife For Definiton
07. Sleepwalk
08. E. Y. E.
09. Utopia Fragmented
10. 4 Minutes To Abandon
11. Provoke The Divine

When you listen to Wastefall or just talk about it to the few (unfortunately) metalheads who already know the band, there is always a name which comes in the conversation: Pain Of Salvation. A lot of people compare Wastefall to the already cult Prog combo and this is not so wrong, even if, in my opinion, the bands are a bit different. "Self Exile" is the third album of the combo and it's also the confirmation of their great musical abilities. If you like Progressive Metal, and don't know yet this album, listen to me and go to your Cd shop, we're just in front of one of the best progressive releases of the year 2006.

The music of Wastefall is a bit like a dark Heavy Progressive Metal. But even with its dark aspect, "Self Exile" doesn't lack of energy. "Willow Man" for example is a really powerful song with heavy riffs and of course this is not the only one of the album. On the other hand, some others songs are a bit more mellow and dramatic but it's not so bad really and always good to listen to them. Of course, Wastefall is a Progressive Metal band so you can expect complex and technical structures, outstanding soli, a lot of keyboards line and above all, really deep songs. For sure, this band is able to play good Prog and plus they have an amazing strong point, the singer, Domenik Papaemmanouil.

The production is clean but yes I cannot avoid the comparison between Domenik Papaemmanouil and Daniel Gildenlow (POS). These two guys have a really similar voice and Domeki doesn't suffer of the comparison with POS' singer. Like him, he is able to produce some really varied vocals, his voice is deep and extremely touching believe me or not but for me, we're in front of one of the best singer of the Metal scene. At the end, maybe that this album just lacks of a bit of inspiration on some song which, in comparison of some others, are a bit unequal. But well it's just hard to find some bad points on this release really?

Is it a confirmation? Yes without any doubt. Will Wastefall find the way to become a "must" in the progressive scene? Yes I think so too but of course when you see the quality of this release, we can expect that the band will be able to do something even better the next time. They can do it, "Self Exile" is the proof, so my Prog Metal friends, try to remember this name and try to listen to their whole discography, you'll have a good surprise. A must for the fans of classy Progressive Metal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 10.12.2006

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 56 users
10.12.2006 - 12:49
Rating: 8
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Tip top band and music
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
10.12.2006 - 13:54
Ivor
Staff
I started listening to this album after your comparison with Pain Of Salvation. I'm still in progress but so far so good. I feel like Wastefall is really good to listen, although it is very similar to PoS. Song structure, voice... almost everything reminds me of PoS in good sense. I have this "it's been done before by PoS" feeling. However, they are no direct rip-off. Which is only good. I think I'm getting interested to hear their previous albums.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
10.12.2006 - 14:40
Jeff
Freaky Admin
We agree Ivor, as you say, it's similar, but like you I don't have the feeling that it is a rip-off...

It's a good band no doubt
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
11.12.2006 - 09:51
Rating: 10
GODlike ?

Great musicians and they are only 19 to 23. I think we can except many good things in the future.
11.04.2007 - 16:23
Markku
Account deleted
I've heard only the song Muzzle Affection. It's all nice and techy but imo the talent in handling the instruments doesn't have a good output, thus it sounds a bit like musical wankery to me. Not fond of the male vocals too.
28.11.2010 - 20:49
prc

They reformed again after a 2 year absence. domenik and alex are both on board. let's see what we will hear from them
17.10.2013 - 15:53
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Why have I not heard of this before?! You made my day with this review
05.02.2014 - 06:22
Rating: 9
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
As a big fan of POS i must say the vocals are really similar yes amazing band very underrated
----
Stay Metal !!!

Hits total: 7325 | This month: 5