04. Κατά Τον Δαίμονα Εαυτού
05. Cine Iubeşte Şi Lasă
06. Iwa Woodoo
07. Gilgame-
08. Русалка
09. Ahura Mazdā-Aŋra Mainiuu
10. Χξς'
11. Welcome To Hel [Vinyl & Digibox bonus]

It's not because he's a ginger that I don't like Dave Mustaine. At least, I don't think it is. Not per se. It's because of stuff like refusing to play on the same bill as a band called Rotting Christ that I think he's a bit of a fuck. It's one thing to do or not do something out of principle, that's respectable, it's another thing to be a bit of a puritanical fuck about it.

It's especially true now when the band called "Rotting Christ" plays as inoffensive sounding stuff as this. I know they had more of an edge back in the day, but they've been moving slowly but surely to this kind of non-black, hyper-melodic and slower sounding stuff for a while.

And that's not in any way a bad thing on its own for these guys; this doesn't suck and it isn't anodyne. This is addicting, catchy, fairly evil sounding, semi-drink-alongy, semi-sing-alongy stuff, some of which has been stuck in my head since I first put it on. Some of the more wah-ing riffs on this are groovy in the best kind of way, and the opening track has one of the best simple tunes I've heard in a while.

I'm guessing this disc will be really appealing to those who like a little foreign, oriental-esque passages in their metal (I'm thinking the crowd crossover I see between big folk/viking metal shows and Behemoth and Nile gigs, myself included in that). Their addition creates a layer of ominousness to the tunes here, but they're never really unnerving or foreboding. They sound cool in a non-punishing way. They're pretty sugary in the end, but this album still has enough power to it (some of the vocals, in particular, sound especially forceful).

Kata is for people who don't mind listening to a little more catchy, cleaned-up extreme(ish) metal. It gets too repetitive, yeah, but when it runs on all cylinders, it's epic as hell.

Highlights: "In Yumen - Xibalba" and "Ahura Mazda."

Written on 09.03.2013 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 477 users
09.03.2013 - 09:33
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Good review. Looking forward to listening it.
09.03.2013 - 11:29
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Rating is way too low for this album. This album is way above average and it deserves a lot more. It is also much better than Aealo and it stands on par with Theogonia. Pretty much every song is enjoyable and memorable, especially the first half. It deserves an 8+, without doubt.

Anyway, the review is good, but you pointed out and focused on the positive aspects of the band and you only mentioned the negative ones. This is why I consider this rating a bit unusual, as the tone of the review is very positive.
09.03.2013 - 12:29
wormdrink414

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 09.03.2013 at 11:29

Rating is way too low for this album. This album is way above average and it deserves a lot more. It is also much better than Aealo and it stands on par with Theogonia. Pretty much every song is enjoyable and memorable, especially the first half. It deserves an 8+, without doubt.

Anyway, the review is good, but you pointed out and focused on the positive aspects of the band and you only mentioned the negative ones. This is why I consider this rating a bit unusual, as the tone of the review is very positive.

Nah, 7.4 is only slightly below the middle mark between "good" and "very good" based on the rating system here. Thought it fit. I like the album, but I don't think it's great.
09.03.2013 - 14:24
Dorian Black

It is very repetitve, every song sounds the same. And I am really surprised no one is pointing this out
09.03.2013 - 14:46
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Dorian Black on 09.03.2013 at 14:24

It is very repetitve, every song sounds the same. And I am really surprised no one is pointing this out

Because it is not a surprise anymore, duh. Like over half of the albums released in this genre are repetitive. That does not mean that being repetitive means being average or mediocre. The fact is, this album is haunting, it is memorable. The first half especially remains deep encripted in your memory, and the second half does not do bad either. The album is well executed, it has its great moments, the cover songs are absolutely brilliant (pointing especially at "Cine Iubeste si Lasa", since I live in Romania after all) and it leaves a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction.
10.03.2013 - 11:23
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I have been listening to it lately and I'm still not convinced by this album. Sure, it's better than "Aealo" but that wasn't too difficult. I like some of the moods/vibes of the songs but it isn't consistent at some points.

So, your rating is probably about right.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
10.03.2013 - 12:06
Rating: 8
hoegaarden

Very good review, spot on IMO.
11.03.2013 - 06:36
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Honestly, i got into rotting christ by catching them as a supporting act but was impressed... but i didnt get anything until KTDE and I think it is much better than Theologia (being my 2nd record of theirs) especially that Cine Lubeste Si Lassa tune.
11.03.2013 - 06:42
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'd maybe go with 7.7 or .8 because of its surprising re-playability but ya I agree with your review as well.
----
Coldgrits
11.03.2013 - 19:11
evilexistence_

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 09.03.2013 at 14:46

Because it is not a surprise anymore, duh. Like over half of the albums released in this genre are repetitive. That does not mean that being repetitive means being average or mediocre. The fact is, this album is haunting, it is memorable. The first half especially remains deep encripted in your memory, and the second half does not do bad either. The album is well executed, it has its great moments, the cover songs are absolutely brilliant (pointing especially at "Cine Iubeste si Lasa", since I live in Romania after all) and it leaves a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction.

Man did you just hit the nail on the head ! totally agree.
11.03.2013 - 22:36
NikolaFranquelli
Account deleted
Although I do not agree with everything said in this review, Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy is a let down.
12.03.2013 - 01:55
Kinzoku

It's good but I still want another Sanctus Diavolos.
13.03.2013 - 17:58
Malignar

No where near as good as Theo or Sanctus Diavolos. Possibly better than the Aealo, but that's not saying much. Hopefully they will dump the direction they've been going for the last two albums and for a new one on the next release.
15.04.2013 - 01:31
mojo

I actually love this album, somehow I can't seem to get it off the stereo. You know what I mean, it just happens that way sometimes and it's a really personal thing.

Not as much folkyness as I'd like (Theogonia is a masterpiece of folk /metal crossover, IMO) but a bloody good black metal album, and beautifully produced. I know a lot of folks here don't like that but I confess, I do.

And the opener, I agree, is one of the main highlights. Absolutely epic.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
12.07.2013 - 09:47
tuerda

I agree with the notion that this album is sugar coated and inoffensive; sorta made of candy. There is very little serious substance to it. That being said, it is fabulous candy!
14.01.2015 - 20:20
Rating: 5
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp

Agreed. It's a step backwards from the already imperfect Aeolo.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.

Hits total: 10085 | This month: 25