N/A

9 users:
Band: Subterranean Masquerade
Album: Home
Style: Progressive metal, Psychedelic rock
Release date: January 2013

01. Home
02. Beyond The Pale [The Mission cover]

I'm not sure there is an entirely coherent and meaningful way to talk about something that is 2 songs and 12 minutes in length. Well, unless - maybe - it's something new from Subterranean Masquerade. In that case, the story is different. I presume you're asking why?

Well now. For me, the sound of Subterranean Masquerade occupied a kind of unique position at some point in time quite a long while ago. I believe Suspended Animation Dreams was one of the first albums that I loved through and through that didn't conform to the standard mixture of prog. It had that experimental vibe and adventurous avantgarde touch that I found so gripping. I loved that album. Note that I'm using the past tense here because for some reason, with time, it slowly fell into oblivion. Not because of the music. But primarily because the band itself kind of fell into oblivion.

For years I totally forgot what Subterranean Masquerade represented to me, until literally just about a week ago. This little EP here reminded me. It reminded me how utterly brilliant their last album was. And, let's just face it, if this EP is anything to go by, the new album, if and when it gets eventually released, will be nothing short of an extraordinary musical journey through the worlds of brilliant colours.

It's already got that magic quality that speaks to you on subconscious levels. While "Home" is an interesting composition, interestingly enough it's the other song that grips me more, "Beyond the Pale." And, weirdly enough, for a prog band the most prominent association that I get from that song is the quality essence of the sound Lake Of Tears had on Forever Autumn. The emotional harmonies that Subterranean Masquerade hits, are right on the spot.

I might throw a bunch of other reference comparisons around but it likely wouldn't do the band justice. Nor would it do justice to define it as a side-act of Novembers Doom singer Paul Kuhr. Subterranean Masquerade have statements of their own to make. And one hell of a brilliant album to live up to. Let's hope they don't disappoint.

Written on 09.03.2013 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 143 users
09.03.2013 - 19:00
Susan
Smeghead
Never heard them before. I'm definitely interested!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.03.2013 - 19:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Susan on 09.03.2013 at 19:00

Never heard them before.

What? You never heard them before? Suspended Animation Dreams is a masterpiece.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.03.2013 - 01:45
Dream Taster
The Enemy Within
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2013 at 19:08

Written by Susan on 09.03.2013 at 19:00

Never heard them before.

What? You never heard them before? Suspended Animation Dreams is a masterpiece.

I second that.
10.03.2013 - 10:44
Merchant of Doom

Yes, "Suspended Animation Dreams" is a great album... never got around to listen to "In Pastille Colors"... better? Worse?
10.03.2013 - 11:51
PocketMetal

Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.03.2013 at 10:44

Yes, "Suspended Animation Dreams" is a great album... never got around to listen to "In Pastille Colors"... better? Worse?

It's not out yet.
10.03.2013 - 11:55
Merchant of Doom

Ah... that's why! :) Sorry about that.
11.03.2013 - 01:56
Saiyanity

Never heard of these guys before, definitely interested though. Nice review.
11.03.2013 - 13:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'll be definitely checking out this EP if I can get my hands on it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.06.2013 - 12:40
In5anity

Just got the LP and what can I say. If that will be the quality of "in pastille colors" it's gonna be one hell of an album. Wonderful stuff.
07.09.2014 - 16:32
Sand

I did not notice until now how retarded letter M is in the logo, lol. By the way, there is a bonus track on this EP called "That night"
----
Non serviam

Hits total: 5866 | This month: 4