Metal Storm logo
The sub-genre debate

Original post

Posted by skrog1, 10.03.2013 - 22:59
Ok, this topic may already exist and if it does... Too bad.

I'm a cranky old fart who doesn't give a damn about sub-genres. And I certainly don't have any patience for snobby elitists who get all "in-your-face" about what band belongs in what sub-genre.

Technical-death-grind-aggro-trance-metal-dustrial...... Silliness.

There's now two genre's of music I have. Shit I like, shit I don't like.

What say you?
15.03.2013 - 13:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 14.03.2013 at 22:17

And "white metal" (also called "unblack metal") is also not recognized as an actual subgenre and is only used by extremely ridiculous elitist black metal heads who believe black metal is an ideology and not just a form of music so they refuse to refer to bands like Antestor as black metal just because they have the same musical properties as satanic black metal bands.

Actually the term 'white metal' was already used way before the second wave of black metal and was and still is used to refer to ALL Christian metal bands. Stryper was already called white metal in the early Eighties.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2013 - 18:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2013 at 13:22

Actually the term 'white metal' was already used way before the second wave of black metal and was and still is used to refer to ALL Christian metal bands. Stryper was already called white metal in the early Eighties.

Oh really? I've only ever seen it used to refer to Christian black metal bands by extreme bm purists. Interesting, ya learn something new every day. Well that still remains an example of a ridiculous "subgenre" and I'll still choose to ignore it's existence until someone asks about it; same as here.

Lolz @ thought of using it to refer to ALL Christian bands. Antestor would be "white black metal", Stryper would be "white heavy metal", Living Sacrifice would be "white death metal", Believer would be "white thrash metal", As I Lay Dying would be "white metalcore" and Theocracy would be "white power metal". Makes them all look like NS bands, especially Theocracy!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

15.03.2013 - 18:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 15.03.2013 at 18:02

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2013 at 13:22

Oh really? I've only ever seen it used to refer to Christian black metal bands by extreme bm purists. Interesting, ya learn something new every day. Well that still remains an example of a ridiculous "subgenre" and I'll still choose to ignore it's existence until someone asks about it; same as here.

Lolz @ thought of using it to refer to ALL Christian bands. Antestor would be "white black metal", Stryper would be "white heavy metal", Living Sacrifice would be "white death metal", Believer would be "white thrash metal", As I Lay Dying would be "white metalcore" and Theocracy would be "white power metal". Makes them all look like NS bands, especially Theocracy!

yeah especially Theocracy

as for white black metal, shouldn't we actually call that grey metal?

reminds me... Black Death Metal could actually be called Plague Metal
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.03.2013 - 18:17
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2013 at 18:09

Holy shit yes. I'm calling it that from now on. I will start a revolution.
15.03.2013 - 19:09
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.03.2013 at 18:09

yeah especially Theocracy

as for white black metal, shouldn't we actually call that grey metal?

Bahahahaha! Tru dat...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

16.03.2013 - 07:59
helofloki

I am down with plague metal.
17.03.2015 - 23:39
ADIresiduos

I guess that a sub-genre name will give us a hint of what to expect from a certain band, but not until we actually listen to its music we will be able to define their sound and most importantly, like skrog1 said: it will be either shit we like or dislike.
19.03.2015 - 08:05
Deathmaster

Sub-genres are completely necessary. Does Death metal really sound Indistinguishable from Black metal and so forth? Furthermore as someone with aspergers it has always been a natural thing for me to categorize, this band is Technical Death metal, this band Doom/death, This band Brutal death etc. Piece of Cake.
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard
19.03.2015 - 12:22
raveneffect

Sub-genres are necessary. How else could you find other Post-Death Rock bands?
24.04.2015 - 00:59
Filthgrinder

I think they're necessary. I like being able to differentiate what kind of metal I listen to and/or what I want to get into. However, it's annoying when elitists get butthurt because they don't think a certain band belongs in a subgenre, and it's just as annoying when someone calls another person an elitist simply because they're able to differentiate different types of metal.
----
26.04.2015 - 04:55
GavinG

They are important, but genre snobs irritate me. I used to be one, but then I realized so much of what I listen to crosses between genres.
01.05.2015 - 16:17
WinterPariah

Eh, I am not a big fan of sub-genres but I do feel they serve a purpose nevertheless, at least to some degree. Power metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, progressive metal, folk metal, even melodic death metal ... I think all of these make sense. Now, when you start getting into "melodic death folk metal" or "symphonic power metal" I think it starts getting a bit silly but, then again, that's just me. If someone were interested only in power metal bands that utilized symphonic elements then I guess "symphonic power metal" would be the key term they'd be looking for so maybe I'm just wrong ... I don't know. Either way, I try not to get too over-the-top with it all.
----

... no need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray ...
06.05.2015 - 08:50
Ganondox

Subgenres are necessary simple because metal has grown so diverse. If it was necessarily to differentiate heavy metal from hard rock, than it's definitely necessarily to differentiate between power and death. Anyway, adding one adjective like "progressive" to say a thrash metal band is fine, but beyond that it just get's ridiculous.
16.05.2015 - 06:10
Sentinel65

I find that subgenres are needed, but I also enjoy the fact that we have them. Although I sometimes scoff at some over-categorizations, subgenres make it much easier to organize music. If I want to look more into black metal, as I am now, I can easily read the history of this subgenre and look up bands within the genre. Looking to subgenres also helps me cater to what my musical taste is at the time. Overall I would say that they are necessary and helpful.
05.09.2015 - 19:43
In Bone Factory

I think sub-genres are important. Different elements and styles have heavy influences on any genres and make them so different from each other.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
24.05.2016 - 18:08
Enteroctopus

Depends on the size of your collection and how you like to access it. For me there are four: Heavy, Thrash, Black and Death. My brain can figure it out from there.

Sub-genres are just nitpicky bullshit people can try and use to one-up someone in conversation with how "smart" they are. I hate people like that. It's just like know-it-all assholes you have to work with. You ask them to pass you the hammer and they're like, "Actually, that's a carpenter's pick (or whatever)!"

Well, congratu-fucking-lations for you!! It's a goddamn stick with a heavy thing on the end of it and I intend to smack something with it, so it's a fucking hammer. GIVE ME THE GOD DAMN THING!!!
07.07.2016 - 22:54
ADIresiduos

Written by WinterPariah on 01.05.2015 at 16:17

Eh, I am not a big fan of sub-genres but I do feel they serve a purpose nevertheless, at least to some degree. Power metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal, progressive metal, folk metal, even melodic death metal ... I think all of these make sense. Now, when you start getting into "melodic death folk metal" or "symphonic power metal" I think it starts getting a bit silly but, then again, that's just me. If someone were interested only in power metal bands that utilized symphonic elements then I guess "symphonic power metal" would be the key term they'd be looking for so maybe I'm just wrong ... I don't know. Either way, I try not to get too over-the-top with it all.

I hear you....... sub-genres are necessary but to a certain degree, otherwise they tend to tag them with ridiculous names. To me Anthrax plays thrash and Iron Maiden powermetal? NWOBHM? speed metal?..... who cares, they're an awesome band!
Elitists, enjoy the music, don't tag it.