Metal Storm logo
Enslaved - Sheffield, England, 19th March 2013

Event: Enslaved: Spring Rite European Tour 2013
Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 21.03.2013

Galleries:

Enslaved - Sheffield, England, 19th March 2013 by Baz Anderson (27)

Ten minutes before the doors open, and you wouldn't have been able to tell there was a show planned for the evening. The queue outside Sheffield's Corporation was nonexistent, but thankfully a slow influx did start before the proceedings got under way. Not the start you'd have expected for one of Norway's finest exports.

UK death metal act Ancient Ascendant had the unfortunate spot of opening the show to a handful of people, but ploughed on with their set regardless. Clearly a talented band, vocalist with some good lungs too, but their half hour set turned out to be a bit of a slow-burner. Fortunately with songs like "Under Ancient Stone", the band closed their set on a good note and to a few more people than saw them start.

Ancient Ascendant

Winterfylleth have been around for a few years now, with three albums to their name. Unfortunately the epic black metallers were also given just half an hour to show off their magic, and it flew by. Just a few songs filled the set, but they were well worth watching. As the room steadily filled, the band took us on a journey of epic proportions with their huge songs. They haven't had one defining breakthrough moment just yet, but over these few years Winterfylleth have just got better and better.

Winterfylleth

It wasn't long before Enslaved found themselves looking out to the half-filled venue, which probably contributed towards the slight lack of intensity and spark you would have otherwise expected. The audience were quiet and the band seemed lost on stage in between songs trying to interact with the motionless audience. That being said, the band did receive a big roar after each glorious song in approval.

In a scene where these days a good metal show is judged by the band by the amount of "action" or how loud an audience is, it was refreshing to be able to just stand and absorb the wonderful music this band have created. The slightly more mature audience present may have seemed a little disinterested judging by noise levels, but with songs like "Ethica Odini" and "Roots Of The Mountain" back to back there can't have been anything but pure awe and appreciation for the band.

Enslaved

It would have been nice to have been able to visit any of the pre-millennium albums, but the band insisted on sticking to the newer material with only the obscure "Convoys To Nothingness" from the Monumension album thrown in to get a few heads scratching. The warped and slightly strange Led Zeppelin cover could have made way for something else also, as "Isa" left the audience wanting more, wishing they weren't going to close it there.

Enslaved are an amazing band, but tonight just felt rather odd. Judging by the turnout tonight, the Norwegians may be the most criminally underrated band to visit the Corporation in a long time. Their set lacked conviction and dipped slightly for the last few songs. Still, let's just remind ourselves of the feeling standing in awe to the other-worldly "Ethica Odini" in particular and know that we got a glimpse of their true genius tonight.

Enslaved

Setlist: RIITIIR / Ruun / The Watcher / Thoughts Like Hammers / Ethica Odini / Roots Of The Mountain / Materal / Convoys To Nothingness / Allfaðr Oðinn / Immigrant Song / Isa

Thanks to Mark and www.corporation.org.uk

Written on 21.03.2013 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 149 users
21.03.2013 - 08:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
It seems incredible to me that a band that is so incredibly and freakishly talented and have released so much good stuff seemed to have a pretty small crowd. I hope they tour Australia soon - would love to see them live.

Addendum: just read that they are touring down under in June - you beauty!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
21.03.2013 - 12:31
Feng

I was incredibly surprised by the low turnout, while I did find it very nice to be able to have some personal space and enjoy and focus upon the music without being squashed, it just seemed so strange that such a legendary band would have such a small crowd...
21.03.2013 - 21:02
Kingface

Written by Feng on 21.03.2013 at 12:31

I was incredibly surprised by the low turnout, while I did find it very nice to be able to have some personal space and enjoy and focus upon the music without being squashed, it just seemed so strange that such a legendary band would have such a small crowd...

Yeah I felt similarly, but good to see the people who were there give them the reception they deserved and it was a brilliant show.

Highlight for me was my two favourite Enslaved songs 'Thoughts Like Hammers' and 'Ethica Odini' being played back to back!
24.03.2013 - 00:56
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Obviously I don't know what the capacity of the Corporation is, but the Underworld in London was packed for this show on Thursday. 'Ethica Odini' was indeed epic! Also, Ancient Ascendant and Winterfylleth were excellent advertisements for UK metal. Quality.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742

Hits total: 4946 | This month: 8