Metal Storm logo
2013: From Bettery to Suckitory

Ranked from Best to Worst, to what Sucks...
Suggestions are welcomed!

Created by: Enissa | 25.03.2013

1. Amorphis - Circle
Melodic Progressive/Heavy Metal from Finland
2. Sirenia - Perils Of The Deep Blue
Symphonic/Gothic Metal from Norway
3. Dark Tranquillity - Construct
Gothenburg Metal from Sweden
4. Kalmah - Seventh Swamphony
Extreme Power/Melodic Death from Finland
5. Orphaned Land - All Is One
Oriental Progressive Rock/Metal from Israel
6. Omnium Gatherum - Beyond
Melodic/Electronic Death Metal from Finland
7. Shade Empire - Omega Arcane
Symphonic Industrial Black/Death Metal from Finland
8. Persefone - Spiritual Migration
Progressive/Melodic Death Metal from Andorra
9. Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Atmospheric Tolkkien-Folkish Black Metal from Austria
10. Leprous - Coal
Avantgarde/Progressive Metal from Norway
11. The Ocean - Pelagial
Sludge/Progressive Metal from Germany
12. In Vain - Ænigma
Progressive Death Metal from Norway
13. Soilwork - The Living Infinite
14. Erimha - Reign Through Immortality
Symphonic Black Metal from Canada
15. Children Of Bodom - Halo Of Blood
Melodic Death/Extreme Power Metal from Finland
16. Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods
Melodic Death Metal from Sweden
17. Månegarm - Legions Of The North
Viking Folk/Black Metal from Sweden
18. Amaranthe - The Nexus
Melodic Death/Power/Metalcore from Sweden/Denmark
19. Caladan Brood - Echoes Of Battle
Epic Black Metal with folkish influences from USA
20. Dreamtale - World Changed Forever
Power Metal from Finland
21. Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell
Power Metal from Germany
22. Powerwolf - Preachers Of The Night
Heavy/Power Metal from Romania/Germany
23. Enshine - Origin
Melodic Death/Doom Metal from Sweden/France
24. Gris - À L'Âme Enflammée, L'Äme Constellée...
Atmospheric Post-Black/Depressive Black Metal from France
25. Battle Beast - Battle Beast
Heavy Metal from Finland
26. James LaBrie - Impermanent Resonance
Progressive Metal from USA
27. Chthonic - Bú-Tik
Melodic Black Metal from Taiwan
28. Fractal Gates - Beyond The Self
Melodic Death/Progressive Metal from France
29. Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Saivon Lapsi
Melodic Death/Symphonic Metal from Finland
30. Wine From Tears - Glad To Be Dead
Melodic Doom Metal from Russia
31. Officium Triste - Mors Viri
Melodic Doom Metal from The Netherlands
32. Pensées Nocturnes - Nom D'une Pipe!
Neoclassical/Avantgarde Black Metal from France
33. Edenbridge - The Bonding
Symphonic/Progressive Metal from Austria
34. Dark Moor - Ars Musica
Symphonic Power Metal from Spain
35. Rotting Christ - Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy
Melodic Black Metal from Greece
36. Theoria - Mantra
Atmospheric Black Metal from Syria
37. Cult Of Luna - Vertikal
Atmospheric Sludge Metal from Sweden
38. October Falls - The Plague Of A Coming Age
Atmospheric Black/Doom Metal from Finland
39. Hypocrisy - End Of Disclosure
40. Thrawsunblat - Thrawsunblat II: Wanderer On The Continent Of Saplings
Folk Black Metal from Canada
41. Mechina - Empyrean
Symphonic Death Metal from USA
42. Avantasia - The Mystery Of Time
Symphonic Power Metal/Hard Rock from Germany
43. Serenity - War Of Ages
Symphonic Power Metal from Austria
44. Tarja - Colours In The Dark
Symphonic Metal from Finland
45. Noumena - Death Walks With Me
Atmospheric Melodic Death Metal from Finland
46. Timo Tolkki's Avalon - The Land Of New Hope
Symphonic Metal
47. Trail Of Tears - Oscillation
Gothic Metal from Norway
48. Stratovarius - Nemesis
Power Metal from Finland
49. Infinita Symphonia - Infinita Symphonia
Symphonic Metal from Italy
50. Amberian Dawn - Re-Evolution
Symphonic Metal from Finland
51. Tristania - Darkest White
Gothic Metal from Norway
52. Visions Of Atlantis - Ethera
Symphonic Metal from Austria

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Enissa ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 21   Visited by: 159 users
26.03.2013 - 15:38
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Agree with 'Beyond' and most of 'The Living Infinite', they were great. Amaranthe's album is so catchy and extremely fun, haven't stopped listening or singing to that one . Ethera was definitely one the worst I've heard this year so far, the vocals ruined most of it IMO.

Suggestions? I would recommened Mechina - Empyrean, a great Industrial/Death and symphonic band.
26.03.2013 - 18:19
Enissa

Written by CyberSymphony on 26.03.2013 at 15:38

Agree with 'Beyond' and most of 'The Living Infinite', they were great. Amaranthe's album is so catchy and extremely fun, haven't stopped listening or singing to that one . Ethera was definitely one the worst I've heard this year so far, the vocals ruined most of it IMO.

Suggestions? I would recommened Mechina - Empyrean, a great Industrial/Death and symphonic band.

Thanks for the rec and the stopping by thing...
28.03.2013 - 13:05
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Huge thumbs up just for Omnium and Soilwork They rock. I had no idea that Serenity, Visions and In Vain have new albums, so I need to check that ones
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
28.03.2013 - 23:31
Enissa

Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 28.03.2013 at 13:05

Huge thumbs up just for Omnium and Soilwork They rock. I had no idea that Serenity, Visions and In Vain have new albums, so I need to check that ones

Thanks dude, really awesome album by In Vain, you should check it out ASAP
25.05.2013 - 11:07
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
NIce to see Amorphis' Circle at #1! Love that album and band. Great list!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
05.07.2013 - 20:59
Enissa

Written by CobiWan1993 on 25.05.2013 at 11:07

NIce to see Amorphis' Circle at #1! Love that album and band. Great list!

Thanks
23.07.2013 - 10:47
Stunning Cactus

Not that I have listened to the last 5 albums on the list, but I would have went ahead and put Stratovarius's "Nemesis" at the bottom of the list. SUCH a disappointment.
23.07.2013 - 18:18
Enissa

Written by Stunning Cactus on 23.07.2013 at 10:47

Not that I have listened to the last 5 albums on the list, but I would have went ahead and put Stratovarius's "Nemesis" at the bottom of the list. SUCH a disappointment.

Yeah, you're right, massive disappointment, but still contains one or two enjoyable songs, when the ones after it don't have any song that actually I can bear listen to
25.07.2013 - 02:02
Stunning Cactus

Written by Enissa on 23.07.2013 at 18:18

Yeah, you're right, massive disappointment, but still contains one or two enjoyable songs, when the ones after it don't have any song that actually I can bear listen to

I can agree with you there. Unbreakable was actually really enjoyable, after that it was just a string of disappointment. I loved the way Castles in the Air started out...beautiful piano, Kotipelto with some smooth vocals. But then they shit all over it with a terrible chorus section and blah. I know they can do so much better...(Elysium).
25.07.2013 - 02:25
Enissa

Written by Stunning Cactus on 25.07.2013 at 02:02

I can agree with you there. Unbreakable was actually really enjoyable, after that it was just a string of disappointment. I loved the way Castles in the Air started out...beautiful piano, Kotipelto with some smooth vocals. But then they shit all over it with a terrible chorus section and blah. I know they can do so much better...(Elysium).

Actually, I didn't like Elysium either, but still much better than Nemesis, I just haven't been a fan of their shift of style since Polaris (though I liked Polaris a bit)... :\
29.07.2013 - 00:36
Stunning Cactus

Written by Enissa on 25.07.2013 at 02:25

Written by Stunning Cactus on 25.07.2013 at 02:02

Actually, I didn't like Elysium either, but still much better than Nemesis, I just haven't been a fan of their shift of style since Polaris (though I liked Polaris a bit)... :\

I simply meant they can do better with their current lineup than Nemesis. Polaris had some great songs on it! (Deep Unknown, Falling Star, Winter Skies) and Elysium I felt built onto Polaris, but that's just my opinion (Under Flaming Skies, Infernal Maze, The Game Never Ends). Hopefully any future albums will be more interesting. I wouldn't mind if they headed in a more progressive direction, sort of like Elements Pt. 1 but with their current style. What do you think?
29.07.2013 - 14:03
Enissa

Written by Stunning Cactus on 29.07.2013 at 00:36

I simply meant they can do better with their current lineup than Nemesis. Polaris had some great songs on it! (Deep Unknown, Falling Star, Winter Skies) and Elysium I felt built onto Polaris, but that's just my opinion (Under Flaming Skies, Infernal Maze, The Game Never Ends). Hopefully any future albums will be more interesting. I wouldn't mind if they headed in a more progressive direction, sort of like Elements Pt. 1 but with their current style. What do you think?

Yeah, sure. I'm not against their prog direction, its just "Nemesis" sounded in total chaos, while "Elysium" sounded dull and inspired to me... Actually, I Love Elements Pt. 1, such a great album and has good memories for me It'll be awesome if they got back to that sound, while Pt. 2 wasn't so great I must say, I'd say that was the downhill album for Strato
31.07.2013 - 07:06
Stunning Cactus

Written by Enissa on 29.07.2013 at 14:03

Written by Stunning Cactus on 29.07.2013 at 00:36

Yeah, sure. I'm not against their prog direction, its just "Nemesis" sounded in total chaos, while "Elysium" sounded dull and inspired to me... Actually, I Love Elements Pt. 1, such a great album and has good memories for me It'll be awesome if they got back to that sound, while Pt. 2 wasn't so great I must say, I'd say that was the downhill album for Strato

I can't argue with you there. I LOVE Elements!

Incidentally, could I ask you about your #1 pick? I want to know how it compares to Silent Waters. I haven't listened to Circle yet.
31.07.2013 - 12:46
Enissa

Written by Stunning Cactus on 31.07.2013 at 07:06

Incidentally, could I ask you about your #1 pick? I want to know how it compares to Silent Waters. I haven't listened to Circle yet.

Mmm...well, for me Silent Waters is one of Amorphis's best albums, its one of their most atmospheric/melodic albums.
Circle on the other hand, is more aggressive (Shades Of Grey, Enchanted By The Moon), more folk-oriented (Nightbird's Song, The Wanderer), all in all, its a mash up between the old and modern Amorphis, that's why its so special (at least to me!)
01.08.2013 - 05:38
Stunning Cactus

Written by Enissa on 31.07.2013 at 12:46

Written by Stunning Cactus on 31.07.2013 at 07:06

Mmm...well, for me Silent Waters is one of Amorphis's best albums, its one of their most atmospheric/melodic albums.
Circle on the other hand, is more aggressive (Shades Of Grey, Enchanted By The Moon), more folk-oriented (Nightbird's Song, The Wanderer), all in all, its a mash up between the old and modern Amorphis, that's why its so special (at least to me!)

Very awesome! I love all of that kind of stuff, so I will give it a thorough listen.
03.08.2013 - 01:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Ahum...

Officium Triste - Mors Viri
Melodic Doom Metal from Finland?

Since when are they from Finland? They've always been from the Netherlands, Rotterdam to be more precise, hence the slogan Rotterdoom, even though the keyboard player/ex-drummer now lives in Germany. I am meeting up with the vocalist tomorrow for a drink tomorrow and I am sure that will be in Rotterdam and not Finland
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2013 - 03:39
Enissa

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.08.2013 at 01:29

Ahum...

Officium Triste - Mors Viri
Melodic Doom Metal from Finland?

Since when are they from Finland? They've always been from the Netherlands, Rotterdam to be more precise, hence the slogan Rotterdoom, even though the keyboard player/ex-drummer now lives in Germany. I am meeting up with the vocalist tomorrow for a drink tomorrow and I am sure that will be in Rotterdam and not Finland

Sorry! Honest mistake!! I knew they were from the Netherlands, maybe got mixed up with other band when I added them!
03.08.2013 - 05:02
Ismarmlp

Darkest White (Tristania) is the worst of all...
04.08.2013 - 02:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Good work.
----
rekt
04.08.2013 - 13:03
Enissa

Written by Ismarmlp on 03.08.2013 at 05:02

Darkest White (Tristania) is the worst of all...

Mmm... well, Its either that or VoA's Ethera, but Ethera which made me wanna hang myself from the ceiling!
04.08.2013 - 13:04
Enissa

Written by tea[m]ster on 04.08.2013 at 02:45

Good work.

Thanks

Hits total: 3912 | This month: 3