2 - The Lighthouse
    3 - The Argument II
    4 - The Parting
    5 - The Visitation
    6 - The Breakthrough
    7 - The Note
    8 - The Uncertainty Principle
    9 - Dark Energy
    10 - The Theory Of Everything (Part III)
    11 - The Blackboard (Reprise)

Disc III [Special Edition DVD]
01. The Making Of The Theory Of Everything
02. Full-length Interviews
03. Recording Session Time Lapse Footage

Line-up
Arjen Anthony Lucassen - all instruments, vocals

Session musicians
Ben Mathot - violin
Siddharta Barnhoorn - orchestrations
Ed Warby - drums
Maaike Peterse - cello

Guest musicians
Michael Mills - vocals, irish bouzouki
Janne "JB" Christoffersson - vocals
Marko Hietala - vocals
Tommy Karevik - vocals
Sara Squadrani - vocals
Mike Mills - vocals
Cristina Scabbia - vocals
John Wetton - vocals
Troy Donockley - uillean pipes, whistles
Jordan Rudess - keyboards
Rick Wakeman - keyboards
Keith Emerson - keyboards
Steve Hackett - guitars

Additional info
The Theory Of Everything is released in three differend formats:
- Limited Edition 2CD + 2CD + DVD Artbook
Artbook is LP-sized with a 48-page booklet
2+2 CDs (The actual album plus full instrumental versions)
DVD with 2 1/2 hours of behind-the scenes content, including a 47-minute "Making of" documentary, 90 minutes of in-depth interviews, and time lapse clips of the recording sessions.

- Special Edition 2CD + DVD Mediabook

- 2LP Vinyl Edition
2LP Gatefold vinyl (180g black) with 12-page booklet
2 CDs included (for listening convenience)

Found in 49 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 5

Comments: 134   Visited by: 1619 users
20.10.2013 - 04:26
Rating: 7
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

The story is okay. The album is good, don't get me wrong, I guess it's just a letdown after how amazing Arjen's last three releases have been (2 ayreon and his solo album).
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
20.10.2013 - 18:02
Rating: 9
Lethrokai

Written by DelightfulJim on 20.10.2013 at 01:57

What would your impression of the albums story be so far, guys? I listened to it twice so far, but some bits of the story kind of escaped me.

At first I also found the fact that almost none of the songs exceeded 4 mins a little jarring as well. I know you can just listen to them as if they were 4 tracks in total, but the way they were split up at first felt a little awkward at first listen. It really begins to fall into place afterwards though.

I think I also much prefer it to the previous album too. Sure it's not heavy or catchy, but it was pretty damn interesting with some awesome vocal performances (Dat Tommy Karevik <3).

For me, it's definitely up their with Arjen's best. When it comes down to vocals, drumwork and synthwork, this album is by far the best that Ayreon has produced. Especially vocals, I mean just listen to some of the performances on this album and you'll realise that absolutely no-one is letting down here. Mike Mills is the biggest and best hidden talent that Ayreon has uncovered, and Marco (who I previously didn't like vocally) pulled out a performance I didn't even think he could do.

As for story, I think it's also the best Ayreon has produced. For me, it was the easiest to follow (perhaps because I could more easily identify who was singing at any given time) while also being the best developed. For the first time, we're not given a completely linear story. Every character has their own tale to tell, and the relationships between characters is great to watch. (except for the one between the Rival and the Girl - that one was kinda stupid)

When I first heard the announcement for this album, I was expecting something at the level of 01011001. However this album has far surpassed it for me. It's up there with The Human Equation as my favourite Ayreon album right now. It takes a few listens to understand it fully, but the turnout is definitely worth it.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
20.10.2013 - 20:22
PocketMetal

I like it ... it's an enjoyable listen and it doesn't get irritating at all. I didn't like the previous one that much ... this one is better but not his best , the vocals are really good on this album and the music keeps up with them for the most part. it's like a retrospect rather than a new direction for Ayreon.
21.10.2013 - 18:56
Rating: 10
Hughes

Man tha last phase's story is just incredible, especially the haunting last words from the prodigy in the final part of the song makes u think.
24.10.2013 - 22:53
Nemo Atkins

Written by Lethrokai on 04.10.2013 at 16:50

Goddamnit, why does 2013 have to be such an amazing year for the prog metal scene?! (Not that I'm complaining or anything...) Ayreon, Leprous, Dream Theater, Haken, Fates Warning, Cynic, Fright Pig, Pain Of Salvation, and even the return of Queensryche... Way too many great albums to get; I can't afford all this stuff!

Bit late to say this, but, as a non prog metal fan...I agree with you. Power metal, thrash metal and heavy metal (my usual sorts of music) have mostly been made up of poor to decent releases this year (to me, at least), but the prog scene has done fantastically, to the extent I've actually started to give a listen to some of the stuff that I'd previously written off because I'd assumed "It's prog, so it's gonna be crap". Queensryche's return made me go "OK, this is good", Crimson Glory (who I checked out because I was bored and spotted they are one of the pillars of modern prog when I was looking up more info about Queensryche) proved to be a great listen and now I'm really starting to enjoy listening to Dream Theater's new album online (the band who put me off prog in the first place) and I even strongly considered picking it up on release day, along with the new Fates Warning (still considering at the minute, but leaning towards purchasing them if I get a chance on Saturday).

Sounds like I've got a lot to catch up on, if your list is only a few of the great prog releases of 2013...
25.10.2013 - 06:00
Steve Rowland

Just received my signed limited edition copy today.

Pure progressive magic.

Best album of the year for me. By far.
25.10.2013 - 22:37
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Just listened to it the first time. Great music and great guests. But the stories end wasn't really what I hoped it would be. A little dissapointed about the story, but the music itself is great!
28.10.2013 - 10:45
PocketMetal

Let the over-rating begin ...
28.10.2013 - 11:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by PocketMetal on 28.10.2013 at 10:45

Let the over-rating begin ...

And it has started already as this is currently at the Top of '13 and its no wonder as it is after all Ayreon.

But I personally look forward to how the bitching over vote abuse is gonna be in this thread.
28.10.2013 - 13:54
Lustful Maid

One of the bands on my list of "The Top 100 Overrated Bands of All Time".
28.10.2013 - 14:02
Rating: 8
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Lustful Maid on 28.10.2013 at 13:54

Pff, you gave 9 to the last Morbid Angel album
28.10.2013 - 14:50
Lethrokai

After seeing some of the things you've said on some other albums, I've gotten to the point where I just can't take anything you say seriously anymore.

I mean for god's sake, your average album rating is 6.1, (one sixth of your votes are a 3 - there are very few albums in existance that deserve that rating) and some of the albums which you've given your highest ratings to (that being a 9) are Queensryche's "Dedicated To Chaos" (average: 3.6), Morbid Angel's "Illud Divinum Insanus" (average: 4.6) and Perverse Recollections Of A Necromangler (average: 3.3).

On the other hand, I've seen you have a go at bands because you don't like their genre, have a go at albums while stating that you never liked the band's style to begin with and just plain-up shitting on a band because they're popular.

Please, just stop already.
----
28.10.2013 - 16:29
swatata

Best album for 2013 in my opinion.
29.10.2013 - 03:08
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Awesome album, one of Ayreon's best, a pure prog/opera rock album with an incredible storyline..
----
greets,
kual21
29.10.2013 - 10:23
Baz Anderson

Haven't quite connected with it just yet, but I'm hoping/half expecting it will come...
29.10.2013 - 11:01
BehzadSh

Written by Daniell on 17.10.2013 at 22:27

Run-of-the-mill Ayreon. Zillions of musical motives, nothing really sticks in memory. Spacy keyboards, theatrical vocals, some unbearable roleplaying, good drumming (as expected). If you heard Ayreon's last two, you heard this one too.

These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

agreed!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
29.10.2013 - 12:40
Lustful Maid

Written by Hex_Omega on 28.10.2013 at 14:02

Morbid Angel's latest album is out of the box, you definitely can't see it as you are inside the box.
29.10.2013 - 12:48
Lustful Maid

Written by Lethrokai on 28.10.2013 at 14:50

After seeing some of the things you've said on some other albums, I've gotten to the point where I just can't take anything you say seriously anymore.

I mean for god's sake, your average album rating is 6.1, (one sixth of your votes are a 3 - there are very few albums in existance that deserve that rating) and some of the albums which you've given your highest ratings to (that being a 9) are Queensryche's "Dedicated To Chaos" (average: 3.6), Morbid Angel's "Illud Divinum Insanus" (average: 4.6) and Perverse Recollections Of A Necromangler (average: 3.3).

On the other hand, I've seen you have a go at bands because you don't like their genre, have a go at albums while stating that you never liked the band's style to begin with and just plain-up shitting on a band because they're popular.

1) ...I mean for god's sake, your average album rating is 6.1 - This is the current facts, I can't change it, sorry.
2) ...and some of the albums which you've given your highest ratings to (that being a 9) are Queensryche's "Dedicated To Chaos" - Queensryche's "Dedicated To Chaos" and Perverse Recollections Of A Necromangler are "out of the box" where you're inside of it. I gave Persefone's a 9 too recently.
29.10.2013 - 13:28
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Lustful Maid on 29.10.2013 at 12:40

Written by Hex_Omega on 28.10.2013 at 14:02

Morbid Angel's latest album is out of the box, you definitely can't see it as you are inside the box.

So I'm inside the 'box'? Cool, everyday I learn something new about myself, thanks.
29.10.2013 - 15:19
Lethrokai

Written by Lustful Maid on 29.10.2013 at 12:48

1) ...I mean for god's sake, your average album rating is 6.1 - This is the current facts, I can't change it, sorry.
2) ...and some of the albums which you've given your highest ratings to (that being a 9) are Queensryche's "Dedicated To Chaos" - Queensryche's "Dedicated To Chaos" and Perverse Recollections Of A Necromangler are "out of the box" where you're inside of it. I gave Persefone's a 9 too recently.

Just because you have a different opinion from a majority, doesn't make you "out of the box", as you so kindly put it. Similarly, just because I'd give these albums a lower rating, doesn't make me "inside the box". It sounds to me like you're just making an attempt at divergence; seperating yourself from everyone else because it gives you a kind of merit. When I listen to albums, I tend to think as objectively as possible. Even though opinions are subjective in the end, I try to find as much objective basis for what I say so that at least I can be credible. Listening to those albums, I couldn't find much that was good; heck, I was even looking forward to Dedicated To Chaos, and thus I became one of the people who didn't enjoy them. Doesn't mean that I'm stuck inside "the box" (I believe "hivemind" was the word you were searching for.)

And yes, I'm aware that you gave some generally-considered-good albums a high rating. Doesn't mean I'm not going to find it odd when some of the lowest rated albums of all time get a 9 from your perspective, whereas you see some albums such as Fortress, Clockwork Angels and Time I as being lower than 5. Like I said before, it just seems like an attempt at divergence.
----
29.10.2013 - 15:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Probably Ayreon's best after "The Human Equation". This is really good. To me Ayreon has always been a great but often weird band. During the best moments, it's among the best of metal music overall. During the worst moments I'm almost embarrassed while listening to it. Kinda like my feelings for Queensrÿche.
I remember once when I still lived at home, I was listening to "Actual Fantasy", which is a horrible album with no good moments IMO and my little sister came in and said "what the hell is this shit you're listening to?". I actually excused myself.
What I wanna say is that this album is full of the great Ayreon moments.
----
29.10.2013 - 19:34
Groby94

Written by Lustful Maid on 29.10.2013 at 12:48

Written by Lethrokai on 28.10.2013 at 14:50

Being outside or inside the box has nothing to do with it. What I consider "outside the box" would be something fresh, weird (I think this is optional) and interesting at the same time, that it has something to offer. These are just plain bad albums, if you ask me, but that's just my opinion, I may be wrong. I feel like you are trying to be different by giving those ratings.
31.10.2013 - 14:23
Rating: 4
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Well, the album isn't impressive. I guess it won't last for too long as the best album for 2013.
31.10.2013 - 15:03
JohnDoe
Account deleted
9.1 | 97 votes

I can't believe it, I hardly have the patience to listen to this, but then again I need a special mood for this band.
31.10.2013 - 15:56
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 31.10.2013 at 15:03

9.1 | 97 votes

I can't believe it, I hardly have the patience to listen to this, but then again I need a special mood for this band.

It's usually the people that care who vote first. That's why ratings shortly after an album's release aren't really anything to go by. Wait a month or two and see.

EDIT: Feel free to give it a rating it deserves in your opinion. The lower it is, the more flak you will get from psycho fanboys
31.10.2013 - 16:53
Lethrokai

Written by Daniell on 31.10.2013 at 15:56

It's usually the people that care who vote first. That's why ratings shortly after an album's release aren't really anything to go by. Wait a month or two and see.

EDIT: Feel free to give it a rating it deserves in your opinion. The lower it is, the more flak you will get from psycho fanboys

Hey, we're not ALL that bad, are we?
----
31.10.2013 - 16:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 31.10.2013 at 15:56

9.1 | 97 votes

I will express opinion on the album once I listen to it properly; positive or negative, no doubt about it!
31.10.2013 - 18:46
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
101 votes, 53 of them 10's. Impressive.
31.10.2013 - 18:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat

9.1 | 97 votes

I can't believe it

Written by Azarath on 31.10.2013 at 18:46

101 votes, 53 of them 10's. Impressive.

What I can't believe is how people still find that hard to beleive. If you were pretty accustomed to this site, you know how this process works. Nothing surprising in it.
31.10.2013 - 19:21
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Lethrokai on 31.10.2013 at 16:53

Hey, we're not ALL that bad, are we?

No, not ALL . Only some!

Hits total: 54969 | This month: 49