Metal Storm logo
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 #3 - Awesome New Demos & EPs

Written by: Susan, Nefarious, X-Ray Rod, D.T. Metal, BloodTears, Boxcar Willy
Published: 01.04.2013

Clandestine Cuts Volume 3, Issue #3
The Metal Storm Demo/EP Spotlight

Brand New Independent Metal Lives Here.
Welcome to the Clandestine Cuts!

Is independent, unsigned, and underground metal what you seek? Weary traveler of the metal world, rest a while here. Clandestine Cuts are the best demos and EPs from these bands, the heart and soul of metal music. These musicians are slaves to their passions, and their blood keeps the metal machine alive and turning. Support them with a simple listen, and discover the future.

Metal Storm users: you can vote in the poll below to chose your favorite demo/EP of the issue. The winners each year are nominated in our annual Metal Storm Awards so exercise your rights: this is the one category chosen completely by YOU the readers. Make sure your favorite independent metal is recognized each year!

Clandestine Cuts News!

Black Oak Decline, dirty sludge band from Vol. 2 #5 is in the studio recording the follow up to their incredible self-titled debut EP. Also, that debut is being released on 12" vinyl via Analog Kitchun Records.

Swedish groove metallers Deathember from Vol. 2 #1 will release their debut album Going Postal on April 5th! If you live in Stockholm, go to their CD release show and report back to us about how awesome it was.

(Think your band has what it takes to be featured in the Cuts? Contact Susan or email Susan @ MetalStorm . net to submit your music.)

In case you're new at this, go back and enjoy our last few issues:

Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #6
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #7
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 2 #8
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 #1
Clandestine Cuts Vol. 3 #2

And now to the new music...

Witch Ripper - Witch Ripper EP
Listen at Bandcamp

Imagine Mastodon's Crack The Skye combined with Baroness' Blue record. In theory that sounds great, doesn't it? Well, the reality is better than anything you could think up. Witch Ripper is the new solo project of Curt Parker, the ex-bassist of now defunct Iron Thrones, and what he has managed to achieve here is truly remarkable. This is brutal, intense, thick, heavy and melodic sludge/stoner metal that is captivating from start to finish. Clocking in at just under 20 minutes, this EP contains 4 tracks full to the brim with great harmonies, epic riffs and soaring guitar solos all wrapped up in a thick sludgy atmosphere. I challenge you to listen to this EP without spending the entire time physically nodding your head along in appreciation of what you are hearing. Go on, just try.

by Nefarious

Euclidean - Euclidean EP
Listen at Bandcamp

After listening to Euclidean for quite a while I wasn't sure how to describe it, dear readers. Now I feel the term "atmospheric post-black" serves its purpose well enough for the kind of black metal these guys are presenting us. This demo (hard to believe, considering the great production) is mostly mid-tempo but it keeps a constant progression in sounds and intensity throughout both tracks. Just like a nice meal, the first track displays a more direct sound so it can quickly grab your attention and set the right mood for the longer main course which achieves a hypnotic feeling thanks to the riffs, leads, and drums along with all the subtle melodies and dissonances hidden around.

by Mr. Doctor

Second Grave - Second Grave EP
Listen at Bandcamp

Here is some dark, sinister, melodic, doom metal. Seductive female vocals are matched by the compelling power of the guitar, which is supported by a thick, thick rhythm section. If you like doom metal a la Witch Mountain, don't miss Second Grave; the vocals are a bit different but the mesmerizing quality is highly comparable. This long, satisfying EP could be a short album but either way, it was a perfect introduction to an up-and-coming band from whom I can promise we'll be hearing more. Second Grave is already in the studio recording more velvety doomy goodness for your aural pleasure, and booking shows and festivals. No wonder: check out what other bands these talented players have founded and/or played with and it'll all make so much sense.

by Susan

Devil's Rage - Rise Of Insanity
Listen at YouTube

I didn't know what to expect since the "melodic death metal" moniker has been somewhat overused in recent years. But to my surprise, those dudes out of Switzerland got it right and delivered a flawless EP on their first attempt at stardom. The two guitarists do an excellent job in balancing the clean as well as down-tuned stringing, while the drumming, thankfully not your faster-is-better style, adds the volume to this release. The songs are melodic and very catchy. While I do hear some Amon Amarth influence I believe Devil's Rage put their own style on the tunes and I can't wait to see how far the band will go. Definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of the genre.

by D. T. Metal

Siren's Dawn - Halfway
Listen at their Website

While some people accuse metalcore of being repetitive and predictable, Siren's Dawn is anything but that. In fact, their debut EP Halfway is very vibrant in its guitar chops and the Polish combo seems to have their Gothenburg tricks down using it fittingly and abundantly. With catchy hooks and breaks, this EP shows a mature sound which can only come from a talented band that embraces what they are and does it well without compromise; Halfway is explosive and intense.

by BloodTears

Olde Growth - Owl
Listen at Bandcamp

There's doom... There's Stoner... There's Stoner Doom... But there really isn't anything like Olde Growth. The pleasant mix of sludge, traditional doom, and hardcore punk grabs a hold of you. You're trapped, trapped within the stoner grooves, the punk d-beat drumming and the doom vocals; you're trapped as if 15 years of moss has grown over your sleeping body. This two piece means business. Containing only a drummer and a bassist/vocalist, they powerpack the skill of a 5 piece band into their humble duo. Imagine a more punk and upbeat Om, or even perhaps a more traditional Black Tusk. Listen, and learn. For maybe some of their skill and talent will wear off on your poor, worthless soul.

by BoxCar Willy

Poll

Best new music of the issue:

Login or register to vote. Results are hidden

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 118 users
01.04.2013 - 11:59
togo95

This is the best issue in a long time, enjoying all of them
01.04.2013 - 15:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Jag ska röste för Susans band , tror jag(I will vote for Susans band)
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.04.2013 - 20:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I'll give love to TEH BASS... Really enjoyed Olde Growth the first time I heard it back when we were fixing this issue. The songs "Tears Of Blood" is just so catchy and with a fantastic groove.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.04.2013 - 22:59
Abattoir

Very good issue. Second Grave and Ole Growth (some crazy intense bass sound indeed) would be my favourite two performers, also Euclidean has got some good vibe going on.
02.04.2013 - 19:26
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Great stuffs to be check it out.

but, from the next time someone should give a push to Thrash Metal bands. There are ample of Thrash Metal bands that cuts-in here and impress new fans on this platform.
02.04.2013 - 19:40
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.04.2013 at 19:26

Great stuffs to be check it out.

but, from the next time someone should give a push to Thrash Metal bands. There are ample of Thrash Metal bands that cuts-in here and impress new fans on this platform.

Hmmm, so he wants more thrash? Duly noted! We'll be on the lookout
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
02.04.2013 - 20:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
And Siren's Dawn is winning, what a surprise! It is a strong issue, definitely.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.04.2013 - 21:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Thanks Susan.
03.04.2013 - 17:27
Druss

Has to be Euclidean for me, really intense stuff. Like Mr. Doctor says, incredible production for an EP, would love to hear an album's length of material from those guys. Rest of the edition was very strong, one of the best CCuts in a while, for me.
03.04.2013 - 18:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Druss on 03.04.2013 at 17:27

Has to be Euclidean for me, really intense stuff. Like Mr. Doctor says, incredible production for an EP, would love to hear an album's length of material from those guys. Rest of the edition was very strong, one of the best CCuts in a while, for me.

It's actually a demo... Which makes the production more impressive. I agree with you, definitely one of our best issues.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.04.2013 - 20:58
Susan
Smeghead
Small world/awesome coincidence: Second Grave and Olde Growth are playing a show together next week!!! Damn, anyone in the Rhode Island area going to hit it up? So jealous
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
07.04.2013 - 20:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Susan on 06.04.2013 at 20:58

Small world/awesome coincidence: Second Grave and Olde Growth are playing a show together next week!!! Damn, anyone in the Rhode Island area going to hit it up? So jealous

Ahah how cool is that?
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.04.2013 - 21:00
Susan
Smeghead
RIIIGHT?!! BoxCar Willy and I did NOT plan this!! Insane coincidence... \m/
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
07.04.2013 - 22:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Amusing coincidence indeed... They were also my two favorites.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.04.2013 - 04:39
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I've had a chance to see Second Grave twice this year, and absolutely awesome sound & performance live! I've been enjoying the disc for a few months now!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
22.04.2013 - 13:27
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Shame to see Euclidean with only 2 votes. I enjoyed that release immensely & it was my second favorite from the whole list after Witch Ripper. This was a really strong issue overall too
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid

Hits total: 6783 | This month: 32