05. Aganippe
06. La Figure Dansante De L'incompréhension
07. A Mon Ombre
08. Au Fond D'un Verre De Poussière
09. Ixtab
10. La Ronde Des Muses Fânées
11. Various Shades Of Black

Additional info
Recorded and mixed in 2012 at Echoes Studio.
Mastered at Masterlab Studio.

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
Various Shades Of Black marks the second of the three-ring CD circus LADLO bounced my way.

Circus indeed.

The latest from French black metallers Way To End starts off innocuously enough with some smooth jazzy guitar before unleashing Cirque de Metal Noire on the listener. Black metal howls and screams coupled with guitar runs that sound inspired by the circus after No Fun Varg set fire to it.

Read more ››
published 28.04.2013 | Comments (3)

Yes, "French Black Metal" might as well become its own subgenre because, damn, it's usually that good, and this is no exception. Way To End's 50 Shades of... I mean Various Shades of Black is a complex and proggy album and one of an initially perplexing nature but it certainly yields great rewards for the persistent. To clarify, this isn't super-ultra-mega dissonant, rather it's the snaking and morphing progressive structures and avant-garde affectations that make this a bit of a challenge to start with. It's worth sticking with though as those trying moments frequently give way to a rich, mystical tapestry of sights and sounds, often melodic and atmospheric, always intriguing and surprising.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 10 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 184 users
02.04.2013 - 12:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quite a thoroughly enjoyable record if you ask me. A barrage of chaotic anti-riffs and counterpoints often giving away to some interesting bouts of melody and effects-laden harmonies. First few songs I thought the band were just spewing out random unrelated passages but after acclimating it became apparent how the album ebbed and flowed. Definitely worth more visits.

A shame that split with Blut aus Nord never materialised. Would have been interesting to see how that worked out.
04.04.2013 - 17:12
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Very similar to Pensées Nocturnes overall but I think I actually prefer these guys (or this album at least) over any of their efforts. Besides, vocals are WAY easier to digest
08.12.2013 - 23:46
mz

Sounds like sth I might like
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
04.01.2014 - 03:57
Fearmeister
Account deleted
This kinda reminds me of a better produced Peste Noire.
04.01.2014 - 04:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 04.01.2014 at 03:57
This kinda reminds me of a better produced Peste Noire.

Any particular album, or did you mean the 2013 self-titled release?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.01.2014 - 16:00
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.01.2014 at 04:17

Any particular album, or did you mean the 2013 self-titled release?

I would say its closest to the newest one. Idk why I keep thinking this but I feel like the riffs and note progressions (especially in the first song, L'apprenti) seem right at home with KPN. Just fuzz up the production and add an insane vocalist.

Its one of those albums that feels French which might be why I made the comparison.
09.02.2014 - 21:31
Rating: 8
koob

Just listened to this band for the first time, they're great I love the album !

Hits total: 5337 | This month: 8