‹‹ Back to the General metal forum Pages: 1 [2]
Users visited: 215  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Ziom on 05.04.2013 at 17:42
Lacuna Coil inspired me to start this topic. The band drew my attention some time ago with - surprise - the looks of their frontwoman, Christina Scabbia. The album was Comalies. However, I simply couldn't dig it, because the whole experience was ruined by one man - Andrea Ferro. A combination of bad English, pronaunciation, accent and simply put - weak voice threw me off, even though the album had its moments (catchy riffs etc.).

A couple of years later, I decided to check out their latest album. Time passes, people improve... but not this guy.

This album has it all: catchy riffs, catchy melodies, groove, a sexy female singer with a decent voice (although nothing operatic)... and this guy. I was like "WTF", why is he still in the band? Are they insane, or what? Oh wait... turns out he's the founding member, besides the bassist. DAMN. DAMN.

-----

Come to think of it, I remembered more examples of worthy efforts ruined by one guy, who for some reason is there. Who for some odd reason was allowed to be there.

- System of a Down and that squeaky guy on Hypnotize/Mesmerize
- Lars Urlich, the lazy drummer of Metallica, who only discovered pedals on their worst album

Do you know more examples? Where one man/woman can ruin everything?

Page 2 of 2

BoxCar Willy
John Doe

08.04.2013 at 19:44
Agree with the comment about Dave. Most of them are awful.
----
Pop punk crusader
Unhealer
Eclectisist

10.04.2013 at 01:43
Written by Ziom on 08.04.2013 at 14:08

Iced Earth's early albums are worth mentioning too, because of vocals.

Regarding Lacuna Coil: I wonder if they were under label's pressure, because Andrea just sticks out so much. It's beyond "taste". It's about lack of improvement visually, linguistically and vocally. Why is he still there is beyond me. Maybe he's a crucial composer? Does he play any instruments? What does he do beyond singing?

Since there are people that do like him, it's not beyond taste. I think he improved a lot as I said earlier, this can be verified if you see old videos of him singing off key frequently and pityful attempts of harshening, and nowadays he has a lot more control on his voice. If he hasn't improved enough for you or you don't like his voice at all, that's where taste comes in.
Not a native speaker so I shouldn't opine on the linguistic, you could be right in that point. And not sure how can he improve visually, do you want him to get hotter?

BTW, he is a main composer. He founded the band and used to play bass I think.
Ziom

16.04.2013 at 11:34
He could shave his moustache
AdamosMakis

20.04.2013 at 15:59
Written by Unhealer on 10.04.2013 at 01:43

Written by Ziom on 08.04.2013 at 14:08

Iced Earth's early albums are worth mentioning too, because of vocals.

Regarding Lacuna Coil: I wonder if they were under label's pressure, because Andrea just sticks out so much. It's beyond "taste". It's about lack of improvement visually, linguistically and vocally. Why is he still there is beyond me. Maybe he's a crucial composer? Does he play any instruments? What does he do beyond singing?

Since there are people that do like him, it's not beyond taste. I think he improved a lot as I said earlier, this can be verified if you see old videos of him singing off key frequently and pityful attempts of harshening, and nowadays he has a lot more control on his voice. If he hasn't improved enough for you or you don't like his voice at all, that's where taste comes in.
Not a native speaker so I shouldn't opine on the linguistic, you could be right in that point. And not sure how can he improve visually, do you want him to get hotter?

BTW, he is a main composer. He founded the band and used to play bass I think.

What you mean iced earths's first albums ? I guess you mean their first album Night of the Stormrider where Gene Adams was the singer ? because afterwards it was Matt Barlow?
If thats the album you mean i somewhat agree with the exception of 1-2 songs ( mainly iced earth ) the rest songs vocally arent that great
Unhealer
Eclectisist

20.04.2013 at 18:53
Written by AdamosMakis on 20.04.2013 at 15:59

What you mean iced earths's first albums ? I guess you mean their first album Night of the Stormrider where Gene Adams was the singer ? because afterwards it was Matt Barlow?
If thats the album you mean i somewhat agree with the exception of 1-2 songs ( mainly iced earth ) the rest songs vocally arent that great

My reply was for Lacuna Coil!
Ziom

26.04.2013 at 14:29
I meant the first album, I generally like everything with Barlow. I prefer his style that became solid and coherent on the Dark Saga if I remember correctly. Burnt offerings was much heavier and a bit different.

Now, I found a Lacuna Coil killer: Amaranthe, there's a review on the front page. Three vocalists, all good.
feather_light

29.04.2013 at 01:34
You did good, Amaranthe are a good find and I really dig it when they sing in unison.

One guy that always seems to bring whatever album he's in a little bit down is Rick Altzi. I don't think the man's bad, but he mostly sounds like a bored and aging hard-rock vocalist or something. He's the singer of the newer At Vance albums, and I can't really say they compare with AV's early amazing records (though to be fair, it isn't just Rick here that sounds bored). He was also in Thunderstone's 'Dirt Metal', which left me divided between not liking it and finding it ok.

I know he has replaced Jorn Lande for the new Masterplan album and that put me off a little. He sure isn't in the same league as Lande or Hartmann!
----
Ziom

13.06.2013 at 16:37
Found another one.

Nile's vocalist on newer albums. DAMN

I hate when growlers forget death metal isn't theatre.
BloodTears
Stella Artois

23.06.2013 at 20:33
A lot of people have probably said Labrie in Dream Theater no? He seems to have a lot of haters.

Actually I don't remember feeling like that about one of my particular favourite bands or otherwise. I can't remember one musician that really annoys me to the point of ruining it all for me except for that Disturbed's vocalist. I find his voice very annoying.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.
psykometal
Staffpool

24.06.2013 at 04:06
Written by BloodTears on 23.06.2013 at 20:33

except for that Disturbed's vocalist. I find his voice very annoying.

I love him in Disturbed, but Device is just horrible.
----
~Zep~

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 [2]

Login or register to post here.