Metal Storm logo
The Ultimate Symphonic Metal Albums

A collection of metal albums that heavily use the likes of classical instrumentation, orchestral, opera or/and symphonic keyboard synths. Suggestions/Recommendations are welcome.

Created by: CyberSymphony | 06.03.2010

1. Adagio - Underworld
2003 - France
2. Aesma Daeva - Dawn Of The New Athens
2007 - USA
3. After Forever - Decipher
2001 - The Netherlands
4. Almôra - Kalihora's Song
2003 - Turkey
5. Ancient Bards - The Alliance Of The Kings
2010 - Italy
6. Anorexia Nervosa - New Obscurantis Order
2001 - France
7. Angtoria - God Has A Plan For Us All
2006 - UK/Sweden
8. Apocalyptica - Reflections
2003 - Finland
9. Avantasia - The Metal Opera Part I
2002 - Germany
10. Bal-Sagoth - Battle Magic
1998 - UK
11. Beto Vázquez Infinity - Beto Vázquez Infinity
2001 - Brazil
12. Carach Angren - Lammendam
2008 - The Netherlands
13. Crimfall - As The Path Unfolds...
2009 - Finland
14. Crysalys - The Awakening Of Gaia
2011 - Italy
15. Dark Lunacy - Devoid
2000 - Italy
16. Dark Moor - Autumnal
2009 - Spain
17. Delain - Lucidity
2006 - The Netherlands
18. Devil Doll - Eliogabalus
1990 - Slovenia
19. Diabulus In Musica - Argia
2014 - Spain
20. Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
2001 - Norway
21. Dol Ammad - Ocean Dynamics
2006 - Greece
22. Dragonland - Astronomy
2006 - Sweden
23. Dreams Of Sanity - The Game
2000 - Austria
24. Edenbridge - MyEarthDream
2008 - Austria
25. Epica - The Phantom Agony
2003 - The Netherlands
26. Epica - The Divine Conspiracy
2007 - The Netherlands
27. Estatic Fear - A Sombre Dance
1999 - Austria
28. Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - Before The Bleeding Sun
2006 - Finland
29. Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
2009 - France
30. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony
2011 - Italy
31. Graveworm - As The Angels Reach The Beauty
1999 - Italy
32. Haggard - Awaking The Centuries
2000 - Germany
33. Haggard - Eppur Si Muove
2004 - Germany
34. Hollenthon - With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell
2001 - Austria
35. Illnath - Cast Into Fields Of Evil Pleasure
2003 - Denmark
36. Imperia - Queen Of Light
2007 - Norway
37. Kamelot - Epica
2003 - USA
38. Leaves' Eyes - Vinland Saga
2005 - Germany/Norway
39. Le Grand Guignol - The Great Maddening
2007 - Luxembourg
40. Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia
1997 - Norway
41. Lingua Mortis Orchestra - LMO
2013 - Germany
42. Mechina - Xenon
2014 - USA
43. Nightwish - Oceanborn
1998 - Finland
44. Nightwish - Once
2004 - Finland
45. Old Man's Child - In Defiance Of Existence
2003 - Norway
46. Profanum - Profanum Aeternum - Eminence Of Satanic Imperial Art
1997 - Poland
47. Rhapsody Of Fire - Dawn Of Victory
2000 - Italy
48. Saturnian - Dimensions
2012 - UK
49. Septicflesh - Communion
2008 - Greece
50. Septicflesh - The Great Mass
2011 - Greece
51. Shade Empire - Omega Arcane
2013: - Finland
52. Sigh - Hangman's Hymn: Musikalische Exequien
2007 - Japan
53. Stravaganzza - Sentimientos
2005 - Spain
54. Stream Of Passion - Embrace The Storm
2005 - The Netherlands
55. Therion - Theli
1996 - Sweden
56. Therion - Vovin
1998 - Sweden
57. Throes Of Dawn - Quicksilver Clouds
2004 - Finland
58. Todesbonden - Sleep Now, Quiet Forest
2008 - USA
59. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Beethoven's Last Night
2000 - USA
60. Waltari - Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death Metal Symphony In Deep C
1996 - Finland
61. Whyzdom - From The Brink Of Infinity
2009 - France
62. Winds - Reflections Of The I
2002 - Norway
63. Wilderun - Olden Tales & Deathly Trails
2012 - USA
64. Within Temptation - Mother Earth
2001 - The Netherlands
65. Xandria - Neverworld's End
2012 - Germany
66. Xerath - III
2014 - UK

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by CyberSymphony ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 6   Visited by: 126 users
08.04.2013 - 22:18
Erik M.
Great list, but I have a few suggestions for you (if you're interested, don't feel obliged to check them all out):
- Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions (my favourite DB album, though you already have a DB album in this list)
- Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse/Anthems to the Welkin' at Dusk (these really need to be on this list in my opinion, classic albums of symphonic black metal)
- Galadriel - The Mirror of Ages (great symphonic doom band with female vocals)
- Graveworm - As Angels Reach The Beauty (symphonic black metal)
- Old Man's Child - In Defiance of Existence (best OMC album for me, symphonic black metal)

These are all albums I give at least a 9/10, so I really like them. That being said, I ignored all the symphonic gothic albums (and I know a lot of great ones, haha) since most of those are already in your other list.
09.04.2013 - 16:09
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Erik M. on 08.04.2013 at 22:18

Great list, but I have a few suggestions for you (if you're interested, don't feel obliged to check them all out):
- Dimmu Borgir - Spiritual Black Dimensions (my favourite DB album, though you already have a DB album in this list)
- Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse/Anthems to the Welkin' at Dusk (these really need to be on this list in my opinion, classic albums of symphonic black metal)
- Galadriel - The Mirror of Ages (great symphonic doom band with female vocals)
- Graveworm - As Angels Reach The Beauty (symphonic black metal)
- Old Man's Child - In Defiance of Existence (best OMC album for me, symphonic black metal)

These are all albums I give at least a 9/10, so I really like them. That being said, I ignored all the symphonic gothic albums (and I know a lot of great ones, haha) since most of those are already in your other list.

I prefer Puritanical... from DB than the one you suggested, but thanks anyway.
I did have Emperor on this list before I deleted them. I didn't feel they were 'symphonic' enough, but more black metal. I will think about them.
I didn't like much of Galadriel's music that much to be honest. I have listened to most of their albums, but I found them a bit 'meh' IMO.
Graveworm are interesting and I do like the album you suggested. Listen to their 'Scourge of Malice' too. Might possibly add them.
OId Man's Child, I agree and will add soon... thanks
09.04.2013 - 22:40
Erik M.
Written by CyberSymphony on 09.04.2013 at 16:09

I prefer Puritanical... from DB than the one you suggested, but thanks anyway.
I did have Emperor on this list before I deleted them. I didn't feel they were 'symphonic' enough, but more black metal. I will think about them.
I didn't like much of Galadriel's music that much to be honest. I have listened to most of their albums, but I found them a bit 'meh' IMO.
Graveworm are interesting and I do like the album you suggested. Listen to their 'Scourge of Malice' too. Might possibly add them.
OId Man's Child, I agree and will add soon... thanks

About DB, fair enough, it's personal preference I guess. I think the first two albums of Emperor do belong here though as they're definitely symphonic black metal. I have only heard two albums of Galadriel so far, but I'll check out every album eventually because I do like their music a lot. About Graveworm, I only know their first two albums and I liked the 2nd one better, hence why I suggested that one. I'll definitely check out their other stuff too. I personally feel Old Man's Child is pretty underrated. After Defiance Of Existence, I think Revelation 666 - The Curse Of Damnation is his (Galder's) best, although it's rated quite low on MS. Incredibly catchy album, but you could think about adding that one too (or The Pagan Prosperity, another very good one). Funny to see your favourite song on that album is the same as mine (Black Seeds on Virgin Soil), that intro is sick.
10.04.2013 - 10:15
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Nice list, I've known most of it, and I agree these are great albums, and you gave me some to check out.
I'm surprised you didn't put Estatic Fear - A Somber Dance here, since it's your all time-favourite album
I also have some suggestions:
Whyzdom's two albums, From The Brink Of Infinity and Blind?, these are great imo

also Waltari - Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death Metal Symphony In Deep C
it's a really underrated and unknown album here, from 1996, when Epica and most of the symphonic bands didn't even exist, yet it's better than a lot of them imo. Great blend of classical music and death metal, with harsh vocals and a female opera singer, who is alto, and not soprano for a change. My favourite song is "A Sign", it's a masterpiece imo.
10.04.2013 - 15:36
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Guest on 10.04.2013 at 10:15

Nice list, I've known most of it, and I agree these are great albums, and you gave me some to check out.
I'm surprised you didn't put Estatic Fear - A Somber Dance here, since it's your all time-favourite album
I also have some suggestions:
Whyzdom's two albums, From The Brink Of Infinity and Blind?, these are great imo

also Waltari - Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! Death Metal Symphony In Deep C
it's a really underrated and unknown album here, from 1996, when Epica and most of the symphonic bands didn't even exist, yet it's better than a lot of them imo. Great blend of classical music and death metal, with harsh vocals and a female opera singer, who is alto, and not soprano for a change. My favourite song is "A Sign", it's a masterpiece imo.

Estatic Fear are in my gothic metal list, they could easily fit here too, but I'm sticking them in the gothic category.
Whyzdom aren't good enough for my list IMO and I've never got interested in band at all. The female vocalists didn't impress me on any of the albums, but musically it was ok though, and thanks for suggesting them too.
I have listened to Waltari's Yeah! Yeah!.... and it definitely does fit here. Adding soon. Thanks
10.04.2013 - 17:30
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Quote:
Estatic Fear are in my gothic metal list, they could easily fit here too, but I'm sticking them in the gothic category.
Whyzdom aren't good enough for my list IMO and I've never got interested in band at all. The female vocalists didn't impress me on any of the albums, but musically it was ok though, and thanks for suggesting them too.
I have listened to Waltari's Yeah! Yeah!.... and it definitely does fit here. Adding soon. Thanks

Whyzdom just changed singers recently, so maybe the new one will be more to your taste. And glad you liked Waltari.

On a side note, in the two Septicflesh albums, the highlights and the album titles are mixed up. Just saying

Hits total: 7513 | This month: 11