01. Your Fall From Grace
02. Burning All Boats And Bridges
03. Your Heaven, My Underworld
04. Interludium
05. To The Gallows
06. The Wounded And The Dying
07. One With The Sea (Part II)
08. Like Atlas

If you had a beer for every year it has been since Officium Triste released an album, you'd have consumed a six pack, which is about 2/3 of what each Marcel and I put down when we met up in Amsterdam and we spent a good chunk of time talking about how great this release was.

The Dutch death-doomsters are back and sounding better than ever.

For starters the production is awesome. It is deep, lush, and makes everything sound clear and expansive. Considering the emotional impact of (well done) doom metal, the enveloping sound helps further establish the mood.

Ah yes, the mood.

OT have seven songs (and one interlude) which establish a different identity. Mors Viri opens with "Your Fall From Grace", a "romantic loss" style song lamenting the slow demolition of a loved friend due to addiction. The next track switches approaches and rather than romantic loss it focuses on a need to change one's lifestyle by, well, "Burning All Boats And Bridges" to start clean. Later we get the OT wink at one of my favorite doom classics, "To The Gallows", in which the perp willingly accepts their fate? Sorry, they done needed lynching.

One of the other factors that makes this enjoyable is just as the lyrical themes change the music also seems to ramp up in intensity a bit as it goes along. "Your Fall From Grace" is sad, tragic, and a tad symphonic at times, while tracks seem to get slightly harsher as we go, ultimately closing with perhaps the "fastest" of the lot, "Like Atlas."

"Like Atlas" is one of those brilliant closing tracks that incorporates melodies that let you know in no uncertain terms, "this is it, folks, game over, quarter taken? this album is about to end" if you aren't keeping up with the track list.

The musicians do a great job in creating the atmosphere of each song, from doomy riffs to mournful leads, sorrowful keyboard lines? Pim's vocals don't include anything quite as out of the norm as Charcoal Hearts (see: "Love Like Blood"), but beyond the spoken interludes and hellish doomroars, he also tosses in some emotional sung vocals as in the chorus to "To The Gallows."

OT have been making doom for a long time, and while it seems a lot of bands put out their best in their first couple releases, they, instead, are like a good Scotch? getting better with age. The 15 was great, but the 19 even better. (Ok, so Laphroaig used to go 15 to 18, but the point remains even if the math isn't spot on?)

And as with a good Scotch, or an overdue trip to In De Wildeman to meet up with a doomfriend for a few rounds (too many), this one was definitely worth the long wait.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 10.04.2013 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 223 users
10.04.2013 - 01:58
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Agree with this review 100% of the way. Even the rating is exactly what I would give it. Another album that shoves Officium Triste further up the list of fantastic death/doom bands
10.04.2013 - 11:17
Merchant of Doom

Pretty good album... a return to form by OT.
10.04.2013 - 11:32
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
It feels fastest. it is the longest, yet seems to move by so quickly. it is almost an illusory quality.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
10.04.2013 - 12:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 10.04.2013 at 11:32

It feels fastest. it is the longest, yet seems to move by so quickly. it is almost an illusory quality.

it is over before you even notice, that's true.
But for the band it, apparently, truly is the slowest song to play on the album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2013 - 17:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
...or an overdue trip to In De Wildeman to meet up with a doomfriend for a few rounds (too many), this one was definitely worth the long wait.

That brought a tear of doom to my eyes
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2013 - 22:43
Erik M.

Written by Merchant of Doom on 10.04.2013 at 11:17

What do you mean by that exactly? Reason, Giving Yourself Away and Mors Viri are all equally great albums in my opinion. They didn't have any bad or mediocre albums...

Anyway, great review. I agree with most of what you've written here, though I'd probably give it higher: a 9/10.
11.04.2013 - 08:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2013 at 12:06

Written by BitterCOld on 10.04.2013 at 11:32

it is over before you even notice, that's true.
But for the band it, apparently, truly is the slowest song to play on the album.

i really did phrase that quite poorly. i blame the alcohol.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.04.2013 - 11:32
Merchant of Doom

Written by Erik M. on 10.04.2013 at 22:43

What do you mean by that exactly? Reason, Giving Yourself Away and Mors Viri are all equally great albums in my opinion. They didn't have any bad or mediocre albums...

The split with Ophis was sub par, IMO...
11.04.2013 - 13:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Merchant of Doom on 11.04.2013 at 11:32

imo Bittersweet Memories is one of their best songs ever. So not subpar at all
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.04.2013 - 15:40
Merchant of Doom

Quote:
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.04.2013 at 13:24

Really? Two forgettable, overblown, directionless tracks, IMO...
11.04.2013 - 20:43
Erik M.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.04.2013 at 13:24

Written by Merchant of Doom on 11.04.2013 at 11:32

I'll buy that split album nonetheless though. I heard Bittersweet Memories at their cd presentation gig and I really liked it, seemed like a great song. For some weird reason I can't find the other Officium Triste song that's on the album anywhere. I like long songs in general, so that helps too I guess.
12.04.2013 - 11:26
Merchant of Doom

The two Ophis tracks are great, albeit a bit doom by numbers... it's worth it getting the split.
09.11.2015 - 14:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For starters the production is awesome
all OT production, master, mix and sound quality are awesome , even in demo albums, where usually bands don't shine whit good quality , special Death metal and many death/doom demo's also are bad. Other genres bad demo somehow sounds nicer IMO
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6450 | This month: 5