08. Hadopelagic I: Omen Of The Deep
09. Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe
10. Demersal: Cognitive Dissonance
11. Benthic: The Origin Of Our Wishes

Disc II [Instrumental]

The Best Post-Metal Album Of 2013
Top 20 albums of 2013: 3

Additional info
Recorded between January 2012 and January 2013.
Drums recorded at Bikini Test, La-Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.
Guitars and bass recorded at band members' homes.
Strings recorded at Studio Mécanique, La-Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland.
Vocals recorded at Hidden Planet Studios, Berlin, Germany; at Digisub Studios, Sion, Switzerland and at Fascination Street Studios, Örebro, Sweden.
Drums and strings recorded and engineered by Julien Fehlmann.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Örebro, Sweden.
Produced by Robin Staps and Jens Bogren.
Digipak (CD version) and gatefold (vinyl version) art design by Seldon Hunt.
CD and vinyl boxset art design by Martin Kvamme.
Booklets designed by Marcel Schulz.
Photography by Craig Murray and Robin Staps.
Additional string and piano arrangements and scores by Philippe Glandien.

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
It's clear that The Ocean are out to leave an impression with their latest release. It takes their imagery to its fullest expression yet, combined with lyrical inspiration taken from the 1979 sci-fi film "Stalker." Before you is a listening experience that aims at a thought provoking dive into an environment to which The Ocean are entirely accustomed. The question is do they achieve this goal; is it worth the plunge? Let me tell you, you're going to want more than to just dip your toes into this one.

Read more ››
published 05.05.2013 | Comments (17)

Precambrian part II, at last!! Well, quality-wise, that is; musically it's a different beast...

Are you ready to dive in the deepest of waters?

Darkside Momo's picks | More picks ››

Found in 71 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 38   Visited by: 1294 users
02.08.2016 - 11:31
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Ace Frawley on 02.08.2016 at 10:44

Good album but doesn't sound very original to me. Too often it reminded me of earlier Mastodon.

While that might be true to an extent, the album concept is entirely something else than Mastodon.
30.07.2021 - 03:00
(o> . )

Sounds like Mastodon with a hardcore cadence quite a few times. Sometimes I'm reminded of Gojira, even Tool. There's surely more then I'd like to mention or am even aware of, but 'tis of a problem for me when I'm much too heavily reminded about an influence's presence, because it just sort of makes me want to the original.

Despite that it's a pretty good record still, those moments of being reminded too much are not too long.
29.03.2022 - 18:33
Rating: 10
Jaro

After nearly 10 years since release, this has jumped from an 8 initally, to a 9 after 5 years, to now being a masterpiece in my eyes.
20.08.2022 - 00:15
Rating: 7
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
This is some really good heavy stuff - makes for nice crushing background music!
18.05.2023 - 12:26
Zap
Always liked this album but never enough to listen to it frequently. Somehow, ten years later, I'm suddenly addicted. Just give me Bathyalpelagic (thanks copy/paste) on repeat and I'm good for the rest of the day.
12.09.2023 - 21:58
Rating: 10
Eternity'sChild

I have always loved the concept of this album, but lately, I got super addicted to it. Such an amazing piece of music.
13.02.2024 - 19:39
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
I didn't really get this album at first but it kinda makes sense as to why it's so highly praised after a few spins. The "Abyssopelagic" is probably the stand-out section for me, along with "Mesopelagic: Into The Uncanny".
14.02.2024 - 03:27
24emd
Theory Snob
A great if slightly flawed album. Conceptually and structurally perfect, and there are moments I'm still in love with many listens later. A few moments really nail the underwater atmosphere in an overwhelming way. Too much isn't quite clicking to give it a higher rating unfortunately.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums

Hits total: 24773 | This month: 75