Olavi Mikkonen - guitars
Fredrik Andersson - drums
Ted Lundström - bass

Guest musicians
Messiah Marcolin - vocals

Additional info
The Special Edition Box features:
- The album as digipack.
- A 2 sided poster with the album artwork and a picture of the band.
- The ultra rare 4 song EP "Under the Influence".
The set is enclosed in a hardcover fliptop case.

The Super Deluxe box includes the two CD special edition of the album and a ten inch Loki bust all housed in a fliptop case. The CD case can be hidden in the base of the bust.

Produced, mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap.
Engineered by Andy Sneap and Scott Atkins.
Recorded at Backstage Studios, Derbyshire, UK in January-March 2013.

Cover art by Tom Thiel.
Packaging art design and layout by Thomas Ewerhard.
Photos by John Memurtrie.

Guest review by
MetalAce
Rating:
The Scandinavian kings have sprung into action once more, releasing another album. As always, they know the deal. At first, I thought it was a very typical album with songs more-or-less all sounding like each other, but after a couple of listenings, my ideas greatly changed.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2014 | Comments (18)

Found in 59 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 91   Visited by: 1856 users
12.04.2013 - 22:25
Rating: 7
FeskarN
I'm sure this will be good, hopefully better than "Surtur Rising"
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
12.04.2013 - 22:40
Rating: 8
Coolingsrock
All of their albums are great. can't see them stop the streak now
13.04.2013 - 17:29
malaikat
Amon Amarth is just a product at this point. Shame.
14.04.2013 - 05:49
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by malaikat on 13.04.2013 at 17:29

Amon Amarth is just a product at this point. Shame.

Isn't all recorded music put on the market for sale just a product? I'm not sure what your point is?
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
16.04.2013 - 22:07
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Well, out of the five albums I've heard, they haven't made a bad album. They just haven't made a great album, either... it's all been decent stuff. This will most likely be the same.
----
25.04.2013 - 07:47
Rating: 10
beerweed
26.04.2013 - 00:30
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Jaeryd on 16.04.2013 at 22:07

Well, out of the five albums I've heard, they haven't made a bad album. They just haven't made a great album, either... it's all been decent stuff. This will most likely be the same.

Twilight and Oden are considerably superior to the remainder of their discography. It may be a personal opinion however the ratings do concur...
26.04.2013 - 01:10
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by LeKiwi on 26.04.2013 at 00:30

Twilight and Oden are considerably superior to the remainder of their discography.

agreed
29.04.2013 - 22:23
Lião
Account deleted
Death Power Metal
06.05.2013 - 08:28
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I'm down to hear what an Amon Amarth/Messiah combo will sound like.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.05.2013 - 22:44
master666
Just Amon Amarth......................
21.05.2013 - 16:00
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Oh the similarities...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/Luca-Turilli-King-of-the-Nordic-Twilight.jpg
22.05.2013 - 09:53
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 21.05.2013 at 16:00

Oh the similarities...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/Luca-Turilli-King-of-the-Nordic-Twilight.jpg

A barely comparable color scheme and a guy shooting bright stuff that goes diagonal? Yeah, Amon Amarth basically ripped them off. I'm surprised there isn't a lawsuit yet.
----
22.05.2013 - 17:44
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 22.05.2013 at 09:53

Written by Guest on 21.05.2013 at 16:00

Oh the similarities...

A barely comparable color scheme and a guy shooting bright stuff that goes diagonal? Yeah, Amon Amarth basically ripped them off. I'm surprised there isn't a lawsuit yet.

It is just me or you got offended? Jeez dude, it's just a joke! Fanboys...;D
23.05.2013 - 05:24
JÄY
Metal slave
Who's that horny fella on the cover?
16.06.2013 - 22:05
Rating: 7
Chobo_jokeR
I haven't seen a large number of bands live, but I have seen a fair few. Amon Amarth was my absolute favourite of all the ones I have seen. An Evening With Amon Amarth is a night I'll never forget. Nearly 3 hours of their music...doesn't get much better than that. I wrote this pre-amble just to indicate how much I enjoy their music. This album didn't disappoint me at all, as a fan of their music. Tons of catchy riffs, Johan is just his consistently awesome self, and everything else you could want out of an Amon Amarth album. Is it revolutionary and ground breaking? No. Is it better than Surtur Rising (which I really enjoyed)? Yes. There is even a longer song on the album (the finale), which is a nice closer to an overall great album.
17.06.2013 - 09:35
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 16.06.2013 at 22:05

I haven't seen a large number of bands live, but I have seen a fair few. Amon Amarth was my absolute favourite of all the ones I have seen. An Evening With Amon Amarth is a night I'll never forget. Nearly 3 hours of their music...doesn't get much better than that. I wrote this pre-amble just to indicate how much I enjoy their music. This album didn't disappoint me at all, as a fan of their music. Tons of catchy riffs, Johan is just his consistently awesome self, and everything else you could want out of an Amon Amarth album. Is it revolutionary and ground breaking? No. Is it better than Surtur Rising (which I really enjoyed)? Yes. There is even a longer song on the album (the finale), which is a nice closer to an overall great album.

Have you got an advanced copy of the album?
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
17.06.2013 - 17:22
X5452
Account deleted
Making statements about albums you haven't been able to listen to yet is pointless and inefficient. Just wait and listen before complaining about how non-changing AA is. As long as they love what they do I don't see the problem, a lot of people like a formula that works everytime for some reason.

Seriously, whenever a band completely changes their approach metalheads complain, when they never change metalheads complain. Sometimes this scene makes me sick and ashamed. If you know things so well start your own band.
17.06.2013 - 19:09
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.06.2013 at 17:22

Seriously, whenever a band completely changes their approach metalheads complain, when they never change metalheads complain. Sometimes this scene makes me sick and ashamed. If you know things so well start your own band.

Then people can bitch about how much you suck at playing blackened atmospheric post-doomgaze.
17.06.2013 - 19:59
X5452
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.06.2013 at 19:09

Then people can bitch about how much you suck at playing blackened atmospheric post-doomgaze.

Why do I even bother...
17.06.2013 - 20:20
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.06.2013 at 19:59

Why do I even bother...

Why, indeed.
We've heard it all before. Don't need to hear it again. So, you should probably take your own advice and stop complaining.
17.06.2013 - 21:46
Rating: 5
Rulatore
Written by Guest on 17.06.2013 at 19:09

I found the album to be slightly above average, only some 3 songs that I can remember well, still I need to listen to it a bit more and learn the lyrics (Yes, I like some of them )
18.06.2013 - 01:17
X5452
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.06.2013 at 20:20

Written by Guest on 17.06.2013 at 19:59

Why do I even bother...

Why, indeed.
We've heard it all before. Don't need to hear it again. So, you should probably take your own advice and stop complaining.

I've heard/read all the complaints about Amon Amarth before as well, don't enjoy reading them over and over again, it offers nothing new.
Making comments sections nearly obsolete.
19.06.2013 - 00:59
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Three songs into it, this album is significantly less boring than Surtur Rising. And this is coming from someone who's never been really a fan of Amon Amarth.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
19.06.2013 - 04:09
quisableed
Account deleted
I'm waiting for release to give a 10
20.06.2013 - 08:34
Metaalkop86
Account deleted
I can't wait to listen to the new album Deceiver of the gods was already one hell of a promising song!
20.06.2013 - 08:40
Metaalkop86
Account deleted
Written by Coolingsrock on 12.04.2013 at 22:40

All of their albums are great. can't see them stop the streak now

I agree
20.06.2013 - 08:56
Dylan
Boring
21.06.2013 - 00:06
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Woooow a 10 score so soon? I guess It's bullshit.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.06.2013 - 06:32
The Benighted
Although the songs aren't as easily recognizable, Deceiver of the Gods is a more consistent and solid release than 2011's Surtur Rising. Each track weaves and winds, and some of the best songs on the album are the ones that tread the farthest from their established sound (Hel especially). Overall, this is one of their better releases, for sure, and will probably see my top ten come the end of the year.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.

Hits total: 34762 | This month: 57