Metal Storm logo
Hair Metal, Glam Rock, Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock

14.12.2006 - 10:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I just noticed that theres no Thread to simply discuss Hair Metal, Glam Rock, and Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock. Hair metal is what eventually lead me into all sorts of other types of metal, if it wasnt for bands like Cinderella, WASP, Guns N Roses, and Motley Crue, I never wouldve found things like black metal, death metal etc.

So come and discuss all things that fall under this Genre(s)

PS.-Theres been alot of posts saying that GnR isnt hair metal, thats why I put in 'sleaze rock/sleaze metal'. its simply a small term for bands like skid row, GnR, Aerosmith, and Lynch Mob, who were almost like hair metal, but with a grittier bluesier feel to it. Not so polished as alot of hair metal.

oh, and to those of you who are new to glam/sleaze and are looking for recommendations definitly go to TheRealThing, that guy knows probably more about this subject than anyone on metalstorm combined, believe me, its unholy.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
14.12.2006 - 12:28
Eternal Flames

It was glam rock/metal that lead me into metal also. I started out listening to a lot of Bon Jovi, WASP, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Aerosmith etc. I still listen to quite a lot of these bands on a regular occasion nowadays, but not as much as I once used to. I suppose Bon Jovi and Guns N' Roses were probably my favourites as they were the first bands I had heard and I suppose if it wasn't for those two in particular I would not be listening to metal today. Although nowadays, along with those two WASP would have to be another of my favourites.
14.12.2006 - 16:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i still like bon jovi, motley crue and van halen. they're probably the best hair metal bands(although that's not saying much )
but i forgot guns n roses, although they're almost not in the whole cock metal movement
14.12.2006 - 17:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 14.12.2006 at 16:08

but i forgot guns n roses, although they're almost not in the whole cock metal movement

Oh yes they were 100% part of the cock rock movement. Partying and getting wasted and getting laid was more important to them than playing music and delivering the goods on stage. At least Bon Jovi was serious about their performances as well. GnR cancelled a shitload of shows because they either didn't feel like it or were way too stoned or/and drunk to even perform.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.12.2006 - 17:27
Sunioj

Those Hiphoppers!! ( sorry couldnt help it ) Ontopic, I have so much awesome memories and emotions from the likes of Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, GnR, Twisted Sister etc. true classics and great drinking music.
15.12.2006 - 01:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 14.12.2006 at 16:08

i still like bon jovi, motley crue and van halen. they're probably the best hair metal bands(although that's not saying much )

Yeah thats why I put down Sleaze rock, which is really close to hair metal, but has more of a bluesy greasey dirty feel to it, like guns n roses, whereas alot of hair metal has a real polished clean and safe feel to it, like Dokken.
----
- George Carlin
15.12.2006 - 02:48
danzig111
Account deleted
Dude......bands like W.A.S.P , Motley Crue and Twisted Sister.....I mean okay, they looked very 'shocking' or very 'wild' and they had crazy spandex......But I really hesitate to call them Hair Bands, because they didn't play that girly glam rock music, they were actually very Metallic in way they deliver their sound . They just dressed crazy for hell of it and them being American I guess they were pressured. But I cannot call them Glam, the musical aspect of them were above all that pretty, glittery crap.
15.12.2006 - 17:37
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
Gnr ain't glam band maybe they were dressing like idiots, bubt hteir music was fuckin awsome not glam fore sure , maybe bo jovi was but gnr not for sure, skid row ain't glam too
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
16.12.2006 - 10:42
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by EddieGunner on 15.12.2006 at 17:37

Gnr ain't glam band maybe they were dressing like idiots, bubt hteir music was fuckin awsome not glam fore sure , maybe bo jovi was but gnr not for sure, skid row ain't glam too

Once again, thats why I put in 'sleaze rock/sleaze metal' alot like hair metal in some ways, but far more gritty almost bluesy feel to it, even Aerosmith could be put under this category.
----
- George Carlin
17.12.2006 - 15:11
=Machine=
Account deleted
Glam and sleaze genre is very close to each other if you see the music. Only the image is different.
Glam: lipstick, hair spray, pink duds etc.
Sleaze: raunchy clothes, tatoos etc.
And the lyrics are reflecting it back too.
Hair metal, cock rock etc. are all used as sobriquets for this two genre, and sometimes for some melodic rock too.

So the first Guns n' Roses LP (Appetite for Destruction) is a sleaze rock milestone, and it's not glam. Later albums (UYI I/II) are hard rock.
The best glam rock album ever is Shout at the Devil by Mötley Crüe!
And there is a briliant band named VAIN. Their first LP (No Respect) also perfect. Everyone should check it, who likes glam/sleaze rock!
17.12.2006 - 21:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 17.12.2006 at 15:11

Glam and sleaze genre is very close to each other if you see the music. Only the image is different.
Glam: lipstick, hair spray, pink duds etc.
Sleaze: raunchy clothes, tatoos etc.
And the lyrics are reflecting it back too.
Hair metal, cock rock etc. are all used as sobriquets for this two genre, and sometimes for some melodic rock too.

So the first Guns n' Roses LP (Appetite for Destruction) is a sleaze rock milestone, and it's not glam. Later albums (UYI I/II) are hard rock.
The best glam rock album ever is Shout at the Devil by Mötley Crüe!
And there is a briliant band named VAIN. Their first LP (No Respect) also perfect. Everyone should check it, who likes glam/sleaze rock!

Are you talking about Vains of Jenna? or is the band actually called Vain?
----
- George Carlin
17.12.2006 - 21:50
=Machine=
Account deleted
Just Vain. Their singer called Davy Vain. He was the Roadcrew singer also, which band was Steven, the ex-Guns drummer's band
18.12.2006 - 07:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 17.12.2006 at 21:50

Just Vain. Their singer called Davy Vain. He was the Roadcrew singer also, which band was Steven, the ex-Guns drummer's band

Oh I see, cus theres also a band called Vains Of Jenna, who are a new band but are like 80s sleaze rock-hair metal. pretty good band.
----
- George Carlin
18.12.2006 - 11:46
=Machine=
Account deleted
Vain also reunited this year, but i didn't heard their new LP yet
18.12.2006 - 12:56
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I'm not into this kind of music at all EXCEPT for Guns N' Roses. Man, I still remember back (even though I was just a lil kid!) all of the fuss about them... The clothes, the models, the videos in which they did nothing but get drunk and stoned, the stories about Adler and Slash's addiction and Axl's moodiness... Dam that was fun

Nonetheless, Appetite For Destruction is one hell of an album and the fact that Gn'R is the first band I ever listened to, I think I could never stop adoring them.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
18.12.2006 - 16:40
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Guest on 15.12.2006 at 02:48

Dude......bands like W.A.S.P , Motley Crue and Twisted Sister.....I mean okay, they looked very 'shocking' or very 'wild' and they had crazy spandex......But I really hesitate to call them Hair Bands, because they didn't play that girly glam rock music, they were actually very Metallic in way they deliver their sound . They just dressed crazy for hell of it and them being American I guess they were pressured. But I cannot call them Glam, the musical aspect of them were above all that pretty, glittery crap.

I will speak about Motley Crue, because i love them. They ARE glam/sleaze metal, one of the first acts in this scene and no, they were not pushed by anyone to put on the glam n' sleaze clothes, make up etc, at least in the beginning! Motley Crue were not made by a label, their image was something they owned, no-one took them and told them "hey guys, you have to dress this way", same goes for Hanoi Rocks, which along with Motley Crue were the originators of the glam/sleaze, rock or metal, movement in the 80s.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
18.12.2006 - 16:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
There is one glam rock album I'm dying to hear and get: Celtic Frost's Cold Lake! I wanna hear it because it has been called the worst rock/metal album ever and it destroyed the fathers of death and black metals career. The only thing is that the album is so damn hard to find here in Sweden
----
26.12.2006 - 19:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
First of all i dont agree Guns n Roses belong to this genre, I just coppy what one women say in VH1 ''Sexy band, who play awsome musical and write moust incredibile lyrics''
Its hard rock, realy hard rock its dont meter if tahy locks like glammers, even 2 mabers Steave Adler who wa skick out of band, replace mat Sorrum ex The Culd Drummer, and Duff and Izzy lil' bit but Slash hahah

In this point metallica was glam band 2, Lars Ulrih in begginig

I like only ok let there be GnR, L.A Guns, The Cult, Cinderella, WASP otehr band slike Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, Wingr ehh to boring but also you forgot fatsre Pussycat 2 songs are great and well Fins Hanoi Rocks

About Glam I lobe Sweet, T-Rex, but can not lsien much Glam metal Twisted Sisters and Motely Crue and Posion

Well I woud not say if this gernre wasnt then there wa sno BM and death M
Bands liker venom, Bulldozer, Merifull Fate/Kind Diamond and early thrash band sthose are basse to music, BM band stake make up only from glam
And in glam music are to much women BTW(I talk about videos )
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.12.2006 - 19:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by KwonVerge on 18.12.2006 at 16:40

Written by Guest on 15.12.2006 at 02:48

I will speak about Motley Crue, because i love them. They ARE glam/sleaze metal, one of the first acts in this scene and no, they were not pushed by anyone to put on the glam n' sleaze clothes, make up etc, at least in the beginning! Motley Crue were not made by a label, their image was something they owned, no-one took them and told them "hey guys, you have to dress this way", same goes for Hanoi Rocks, which along with Motley Crue were the originators of the glam/sleaze, rock or metal, movement in the 80s.

I agree about what you say, but Hanoi Rocks was finish abnd, i dunno when thay start play, but I like them more how Motley Crue
I agree because I doubt Motley saw them and mace up, it was original think what thay choose, but still ist like Kiss mix whit New York Dolls
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2006 - 01:09
danzig111
Account deleted
Celtic Frost did a Glam Rock album? hahahah I must hear this
29.12.2006 - 03:14
danzig111
Account deleted
A critic once told me that "Glam" stood for

Gay Los Angeles Music

30.12.2006 - 01:38
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Ah wow, What a topic.

But anyway, there are some Glam bands That I think are really good, and others I feel are just sheerly untalented. I hate it when people say that all glam bands are the same, because really they're not. Then again the Glam bands that I like I don't even really consider glam, these are just bands unfortunate enough to have been stuck in this category simply because they had long hair and were famous in the 80's, seriously, calling the scorpians a glam band is a deathworthy tresspass in my book.

Here are some "Glam" Bands that I like.
Guns N' Roses
The Scorpians
Ratt
WASP
Cinderella
Skid Row

Here are Glam bands I don't like
Motley Crue
Stryper
Poison (Even though C.C. Deville is a decent guitarist)
Cheap Trick
White Snake
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
30.12.2006 - 04:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 29.12.2006 at 03:14

A critic once told me that "Glam" stood for

Gay Los Angeles Music

Its like AC?Dc - Ani Crist devil Child where pll get those crappy names
----

apos;'
[image]
30.12.2006 - 04:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Arian Totalis on 30.12.2006 at 01:38

Ah wow, What a topic.

But anyway, there are some Glam bands That I think are really good, and others I feel are just sheerly untalented. I hate it when people say that all glam bands are the same, because really they're not. Then again the Glam bands that I like I don't even really consider glam, these are just bands unfortunate enough to have been stuck in this category simply because they had long hair and were famous in the 80's, seriously, calling the scorpians a glam band is a deathworthy tresspass in my book.

Guns N' Roses
The Scorpians
Ratt
WASP
Cinderella
Skid Row

Motley Crue
Stryper
Cheap Trick
White Snake

Firts Guns n Rosses isnt Glam, read firts post and its hard questen because if USE YOUR ILLUSON are glam then Cezare Prandelli are my father

The Scorpians you mena German band Scorpions?
Its hard rock/heavy metal band who likeds ballads so ist not glamm
Or youn mean other band what I dunno

WASP, Cinderella I like them too but RATT not that song about I wanna wome

Cheap Trick - Not lam thay wa splaying in 70ties and its hard to dininy style but its not Glamm

White Snake man man man haw eyou hear early Whitesnake in 80ies, in begining and in 70ties its glamy sound only in ''Whitesnake 1987'' and those chicks but early albums are hard rock, metal whit infulencies, latin, blues and ..................
----

apos;'
[image]
30.12.2006 - 05:11
danzig111
Account deleted
yeah Scorpions were hevay Metal from Germany, they were around before the Glam age.
30.12.2006 - 13:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 27.12.2006 at 01:09

Celtic Frost did a Glam Rock album? hahahah I must hear this

Of course they did, Cold Lake! The album that ruined Celtic Frost's career 19 years ago. Without doubt one of the most hated albums ever, it's funny but at the same time very sad
----
30.12.2006 - 14:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.12.2006 at 05:11

yeah Scorpions were hevay Metal from Germany, they were around before the Glam age.

And thay still are alive and around BTW nowhere thay hawnt sad thay split up BTW
----

apos;'
[image]
30.12.2006 - 20:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Bad English on 30.12.2006 at 04:20

Written by Arian Totalis on 30.12.2006 at 01:38

Ah wow, What a topic.

Guns N' Roses
The Scorpians
Ratt
WASP
Cinderella
Skid Row

Motley Crue
Stryper
Cheap Trick
White Snake

Firts Guns n Rosses isnt Glam, read firts post and its hard questen because if USE YOUR ILLUSON are glam then Cezare Prandelli are my father

The Scorpians you mena German band Scorpions?
Its hard rock/heavy metal band who likeds ballads so ist not glamm
Or youn mean other band what I dunno

WASP, Cinderella I like them too but RATT not that song about I wanna wome

Cheap Trick - Not lam thay wa splaying in 70ties and its hard to dininy style but its not Glamm

White Snake man man man haw eyou hear early Whitesnake in 80ies, in begining and in 70ties its glamy sound only in ''Whitesnake 1987'' and those chicks but early albums are hard rock, metal whit infulencies, latin, blues and ..................

Well dude, I don't think you fully read my post, I said that some of the bands listed arn't really glam, but there are people who for some reason classify them as such. I don't like it when people do, but it's the truth, all the bands I listed are considered by some people to be glam. That's why when I listed bands I like I Put the word Glam in quotation marks, to show that I didn't really think of them all as glam, hell I said "calling the scorpians a glam band is a deathworthy tresspass in my book.". So maby now you see what I mean.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
31.12.2006 - 18:27
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I hate glam... Its so gay! Though music is often very good, its too gay for me... I can't stand that.
----
02.01.2007 - 08:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Stalker on 31.12.2006 at 18:27

I hate glam... Its so gay! Though music is often very good, its too gay for me... I can't stand that.

Possibly one of the most intelligent posts ive ever fucking read.
----
- George Carlin