Metal Storm logo
Hair Metal, Glam Rock, Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock

Original post

Posted by Doc G., 14.12.2006 - 10:09
I just noticed that theres no Thread to simply discuss Hair Metal, Glam Rock, and Sleaze Metal/Sleaze Rock. Hair metal is what eventually lead me into all sorts of other types of metal, if it wasnt for bands like Cinderella, WASP, Guns N Roses, and Motley Crue, I never wouldve found things like black metal, death metal etc.

So come and discuss all things that fall under this Genre(s)

PS.-Theres been alot of posts saying that GnR isnt hair metal, thats why I put in 'sleaze rock/sleaze metal'. its simply a small term for bands like skid row, GnR, Aerosmith, and Lynch Mob, who were almost like hair metal, but with a grittier bluesier feel to it. Not so polished as alot of hair metal.

oh, and to those of you who are new to glam/sleaze and are looking for recommendations definitly go to TheRealThing, that guy knows probably more about this subject than anyone on metalstorm combined, believe me, its unholy.
10.12.2007 - 02:11
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock: to be honest, I'm not that familiar with the band, I just ehard their name and knew what genre they were

anyway, i just recently got into Ratt! I love them.
10.12.2007 - 07:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Lowelas
Well, I still owe you one for telling me about them. And yes, Ratt kick ass, both 'Out Of The Cellar' and 'Invasion Of Your Privacy' are solid albums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
11.12.2007 - 01:10
slowdeathchick

Dude! I grew up on hair metal...Listen to house of hair with Dee Snider on saturdays still and im always on the look for bands' older albums
----
The past defines the future, but sometimes you must leave something behind to be able to grow.

Gaahl
14.12.2007 - 00:05
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 29.11.2007 at 01:52

let's see your '80's cut man! post a pic lol.

Written by Judas on 29.11.2007 at 14:53

@Dr. Rock: I'm in total agreement with Lowelas here, we need to see this wild hair! Glam's not dead as long as people still believe in it, and get outrageous haircuts!

Alright guys, so I finally got a picture taken of me in full glam mode last friday, this is a picture of me piss drunk right after the Van Halen concert. check out my glam rock godliness....and no, that car was not parked, I almost got run over:
----
- George Carlin
14.12.2007 - 00:49
slowdeathchick

nice.lol glam godliness is right, my man.
----
The past defines the future, but sometimes you must leave something behind to be able to grow.

Gaahl
14.12.2007 - 01:45
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
wow.......lol!! this is so bitchin'
14.12.2007 - 05:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Lowelas
I finally picked up an album by Beautiful Creatures (the band that you told me about), I seriously owe you, its absolutely fantastic, the album sounds as if it was written by Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue, great heavy driving rock n roll.
----
- George Carlin
16.12.2007 - 08:22
Hyvaarin

Written by Doc G. on 14.12.2007 at 00:05

Alright guys, so I finally got a picture taken of me in full glam mode last friday, this is a picture of me piss drunk right after the Van Halen concert. check out my glam rock godliness....and no, that car was not parked, I almost got run over:

Dude that is AWESOME hair.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
18.12.2007 - 19:25
Demonmayonnaise

Ever listen to Dokken? They are my favorite hair metal band. George Lynch is an amazing guitarist. Ive never listened to Lynch Mob, but when I get the chance to I will. I bet its badass.
18.12.2007 - 23:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 18.12.2007 at 19:25

Ever listen to Dokken? They are my favorite hair metal band. George Lynch is an amazing guitarist. Ive never listened to Lynch Mob, but when I get the chance to I will. I bet its badass.

Lynch Mob is good, I on Revolution by Lynch Mob, they play a bunch of old Dokken songs like Tooth & Nail, there alot heavier and more aggressive with Lynch Mob.
----
- George Carlin
23.12.2007 - 02:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

No I like early Dokken but I havnt hera them in 90tie san dnew album, but 90ties Dokken was good

LA Guns kick ass
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.12.2007 - 21:38
animal

I saw Dokken open up for Sammy Hagar here in April 1985.
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
31.12.2007 - 22:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The strange thing with glam/hair/sleaze is that it was HUGE in the States whereas in Europe many a tour had to be cancelled due to abyssmal ticket sales (except for the UK somehow). Over here glam/hair/sleaze never had the impact it did over Statewise. Maybe due to the fact that Europeans were way less image oriented than the Americans? (just a little theory of mine here btw, so don't shoot me)

Motley Crue at their height coouldn't even sell out a 5,000 seater here in The Netherlands, I thnk that 2,000 showed up at most, and Poison did even worse.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.01.2008 - 16:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 31.12.2007 at 22:39

The strange thing with glam/hair/sleaze is that it was HUGE in the States whereas in Europe many a tour had to be cancelled due to abyssmal ticket sales (except for the UK somehow). Over here glam/hair/sleaze never had the impact it did over Statewise. Maybe due to the fact that Europeans were way less image oriented than the Americans? (just a little theory of mine here btw, so don't shoot me)

Motley Crue at their height coouldn't even sell out a 5,000 seater here in The Netherlands, I thnk that 2,000 showed up at most, and Poison did even worse.

I dunno any band from Europe who play such gare ok fins Hanoi Rocks and amyeb fiew german bands, I had seen soem german band sin MA who realy looks like hair band, but in vibratioinsofdoom thay sounds like Hard rock/HM, so I know only one real hair band from Europa
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2008 - 12:43
Øyvind
Grave Digger
What about the band Europe? They're Swedish and surely get into the category of glam IMO. However, it's true, no big impact around here...
----
02.01.2008 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Øyvind on 02.01.2008 at 12:43

What about the band Europe? They're Swedish and surely get into the category of glam IMO. However, it's true, no big impact around here...

Europe and Whitesnake were only glam image wise never musically. And of course only there image changed after a couple of albums, they never started off glam. So I think there is a huge difference there. look at Van Halen some people ccall them glam as well because of their image but their music was far superiro to the shallow pop rock tunes of the likes of Poison, Motley Crue, Tigertailz etc. and therefore they did have a big following here.
In Europe (the continent) the music was always more important than the packaging.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2008 - 13:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2008 at 12:55

Europe and Whitesnake were only glam image wise never musically. And of course only there image changed after a couple of albums, they never started off glam. So I think there is a huge difference there. look at Van Halen some people ccall them glam as well because of their image but their music was far superiro to the shallow pop rock tunes of the likes of Poison, Motley Crue, Tigertailz etc. and therefore they did have a big following here.
In Europe (the continent) the music was always more important than the packaging.

Europe was glamy but old Whitesnake wasnt glam band it wa smore hard rock, lil like modern Rainbow and about Europe I was tham live in Lulea 2 years ago and it was hard rock and new album are hard rock too , and song 'Final Contdown' are moust overated from band, moust cheesyest, others are good

In UK was Slade and Sweet who was glam rock
----

apos;'
[image]
02.01.2008 - 13:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 02.01.2008 at 13:50

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2008 at 12:55

Europe was glamy but old Whitesnake wasnt glam band it wa smore hard rock, lil like modern Rainbow and about Europe I was tham live in Lulea 2 years ago and it was hard rock and new album are hard rock too , and song 'Final Contdown' are moust overated from band, moust cheesyest, others are good

In UK was Slade and Sweet who was glam rock

Europe dring the first two albums was totally NOT glam only on the Final Countdown were they anything resembling glam. And Whitesnake's from 1987 to about 1992 was glam before that totally NOT
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2008 - 02:10
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
I finally learned the difference between Glam and Sleaze

and recently I got into L.A. Guns They kick ass!! way better than Guns N' Roses!
08.01.2008 - 02:13
RhysTerk

Can't someone just call all these bands for sleaze metal and not have so many descriptions
08.01.2008 - 07:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by RhysTerk on 08.01.2008 at 02:13

Can't someone just call all these bands for sleaze metal and not have so many descriptions

Because to the trained ear there is much difference between glam and sleaze.
----
- George Carlin
08.01.2008 - 09:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.01.2008 at 02:10

I finally learned the difference between Glam and Sleaze

and recently I got into L.A. Guns They kick ass!! way better than Guns N' Roses!

Thay kick ass man realy
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2008 - 15:05
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Rhysterk: well glam came before sleaze.

@K7: indeed, and I heard Faster Pussycat for the first time yesterday, They're pretty good too
23.02.2008 - 07:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 21.02.2008 at 15:05

@K7: indeed, and I heard Faster Pussycat for the first time yesterday, They're pretty good too

I started listening to a lot of FP lately, its been a while. 'Babylon' is definitely my favorite song now, pretty much anything off the self titled album is awesome.
----
- George Carlin
23.02.2008 - 17:41
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@Dr. Rock: I kind of like their second effort that came out in '89 too.
23.02.2008 - 22:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
@Lowelas
Yeah there both awesome. I can't get into the new album, I don't find it too good. Its funny the legal disputes between Taime Down and the old members over the FPC name.
----
- George Carlin
23.06.2008 - 03:53
2bearocknnot2rol

I love almost every Hair Band! Like seriously! I'm so glad this topic was posted! My favorite Glam Band is Motley Crue. My Favorite sleaze band is Guns N' Roses. Ratt Is friggin' Amazing! So are Dokken, CiInderella, Poison, LA Guns, SLeeze Beez and so many others. A really underrated band that i love is Tigertailz. I have their album Bezerk and it's just awesome! If you ever come across it which you won't but it! My favorite songs from it are Heaven, Love Bomb Baby, I Can Fight Dirty Too, Noize Level Critical, Twist & Shake and Action City! I think someone should post more Hair Metal Topics! I have my own Glam WEbsite, link on my profile!
25.06.2008 - 19:39
Jonnz of Steel

I love Hair Metal Anything from Poison, 80s Pantera, Europe, Cinderella, Motley Crue, Skid Row etc...All great stuff
22.02.2012 - 14:31
Opan
Account deleted
Great bands and great songs...80' power ballads are best ever written...Long live bands like Dokken, Motley Crue, Ratt, Stryper etc...
22.02.2012 - 18:03
byng
Account deleted
I was a huge fan of Guns N Roses when I was in high school. Don't Cry, November Rain, Sweet Child o' Mine, Patience and Estranged are my favorite GnR songs. Even up to these days "Welcome to the Jungle" is still used in films. I loved their November Rain music video, which was based on the short story "Without You" by Del James. There was also speculation that the video was about Axl Rose and some girlfriend of his who committed suicide. I'm not really sure about this but for me the music video is a masterpiece.