Album: Drunken Tales
Style: Psychedelic doom metal
Release date: February 2013

01. Routine Of Life
02. Dirty Game
03. Down The Drain
04. Dregs
05. Cause Follows Effect [bonus]

More reviews from Solitude means more "Same Shit Different Dudes" Post-it notes, extreme doom bands of varying quality, and My Dying Bride disciples of varying quality. But hey, Drunken Tales by Evoke Thy Lords sports a cosmonaut in barfly mode at Moe's Tavern on the cover, so who knows?

Three beers into a lazy Saturday afternoon I popped it in, tuned in, and spaced out.

Yeah, these guys abandoned their copies of Turn Loose The Swans and The Angel And The Dark River for some Down, Corrosion Of Conformity, and a bong.

The net result is five eight-minute plus tracks of doom that sounds like these lads are from NOLA rather than Novosibirsk. Their doom comes not only with some definite rumbly-bass groove, that is reminiscent of (insert Southern Rawk meets Metal band here) at times, Shrinebuilder at others.

Oh, and it also comes complete with Ron Burgundy* laying down jazz flute over the top of the whole thing giving it a pretty unique and enjoyable vibe, particularly when they drop out and go Mellow Moment ? mode.

Vocals are decidedly gruff, but sparsely used and pushed back in the mix so as not to fuck with the groove.

The whole thing definitely has a spaced out floating through the cosmos vibe, the result of cross pollinating doom with southern vibe and maybe some 70's rock.

Drunken Tales on repeat was a great way to spend a lazy afternoon, one I will definitely do again. Don't let the flute freak you out, this was the wildcard of the recent "From Russia With Love Doom" pack (see also Stangala from last year), but was cool enough to immediately leapfrog to the top of my queue of infinite review. Pick a nice spring afternoon, grab some of your favorite firewater and just chill.

*OK, so it's not Ron Burgundy, but Irina Drebushchak has chops and probably melted a copy or two of Cathedral's Forest Of Equilibrium.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 14.04.2013 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 178 users
15.04.2013 - 07:16
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Great review, my thoughts immediately went to Anchorman with the flute as well. This album surprised me, been listening to it regularly and I do think Irina is a talented gal, bringing both that flute and some very interesting vocal work to the album. "Cause Follows Effect" is where she brings it and is definitely my track of choice.
28.04.2013 - 07:22
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by R'Vannith on 15.04.2013 at 07:16

Great review, my thoughts immediately went to Anchorman with the flute as well. This album surprised me, been listening to it regularly and I do think Irina is a talented gal, bringing both that flute and some very interesting vocal work to the album. "Cause Follows Effect" is where she brings it and is definitely my track of choice.

Thanks, and if the review is "great" it's only because the album drew it forth. been in a writing-rut, most of my recent reviews have taken 12-15 listens to adequately develop some thoughts. this review was pretty much written on the second listen through, it just pulled it out of me. so as with any "good" review of mine, far more credit goes to the band.

I do hope more people take the time to check it out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.04.2013 - 14:26
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by BitterCOld on 28.04.2013 at 07:22

Thanks, and if the review is "great" it's only because the album drew it forth. been in a writing-rut, most of my recent reviews have taken 12-15 listens to adequately develop some thoughts. this review was pretty much written on the second listen through, it just pulled it out of me. so as with any "good" review of mine, far more credit goes to the band.

I do hope more people take the time to check it out.

Yeah those kind of reviews are often the best, the ones that come naturally to you. A quality listen like this really would help the words flow I'd imagine, as you say it did.

Certainly well worth checking out from my point of view.
30.04.2013 - 05:08
Susan
Smeghead
elite
Excellent review. Took me several weeks too long to finally listen. I'm amazed and impressed. This has top 10 albums of the year potential. It's different, yes, but it's complex, fascinating, and so well composed, which is what makes it such a stand-out for me. High quality musical composition like this doesn't come around every day.

Also, the mood and atmosphere has a sort of dominant quality to it. Just a quiet confidence, knowing that I'm paying attention and almost daring me to turn away. Quite interesting.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
24.05.2013 - 11:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 30.04.2013 at 05:08

Excellent review. Took me several weeks too long to finally listen. I'm amazed and impressed. This has top 10 albums of the year potential. It's different, yes, but it's complex, fascinating, and so well composed, which is what makes it such a stand-out for me. High quality musical composition like this doesn't come around every day.

Also, the mood and atmosphere has a sort of dominant quality to it. Just a quiet confidence, knowing that I'm paying attention and almost daring me to turn away. Quite interesting.

And it haz flooots!
25.05.2013 - 01:55
Diverge
This is killer material. As Susan pointed out, it has enough fascinating twists and turns to truly engross me. I don't think this will be in my top 25 or even top 50 by the end of the year, but it's great.

Hits total: 5903 | This month: 7