Metal Storm logo
Kozeljnik - Null: The Acheron Of Multiform Negation review

Reviewer:

1 user:
Band: Kozeljnik
Album: Null: The Acheron Of Multiform Negation
Release date: February 2013

01. As If Through A Myriad Of Shades
02. Evoking The Furtive Depths (Reprisal)
03. Time, Neglected In The Wound Of A Martyr
04. Come, Thou Abhorred And Incessant
05. Scourged With Apathy
06. Wrecked In Ruins Of Solitude

Glad I delayed on reviewing Null: The Acheron Of Multiform Negation by Serbia's Kozeljnik a little bit. Aside from taking a couple weeks and more than a half dozen listens to get through Null: The Thesaurus Edition, it took me about that long to get through the vocals.

On first listen, the rather theatrical vocals, which at times seem like something along the likes of Bobcat Kvarforth, at other times Mayhemic, really bugged me.

After repeated listens (perhaps aided by repeated barley sodas) they wore down my resolve and I grew to at least tolerate them if not outright enjoy them.

Kozeljnik's music is predominately mid-paced black metal. Interesting riffs are enhanced by some swell sound - not too polished, nor vbergrim - just right. At some points the tempo slowed and a vocal adjustment ended up with a doomy riff reminiscent of Isole.

All this midpace slogging about, coupled with some harmonies and a little vocal histrionics sort of wears on you so by the time the band kick it up a notch pace-wise with in "Scourged With Apathy" you get an extra bit of a jolt. "Now we're cooking! With gas!"

Ultimately, Null: Lots Of Five Dollar Words isn't going to set the world - or a church - on fire, but Kozeljnik have put together a nice slice of darkness. If you'll give it a couple passes to acclimate yourself to The Koz's vocal patterns.

(Shit. The Koz? I just came up with this at the end of the review? Now I have visions of a corpsepainted, axe and jello pudding pop wielding black metal dvde showing off jazz dance moves in a technicolor vomit sweater. Alas.)

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 15.04.2013 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 105 users
16.04.2013 - 10:59
ANGEL REAPER

Kozeljnik? Never heard of them...also every time i heard some BM from my home country i am more sure that there are no good BM from Serbia.
Nice review man btw.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
16.04.2013 - 23:38
Tristus Scriptor
Rancid Reviewer
Actually clicked on it for both the album cover and the fact that it was a somewhat lower rating than the great reviews, yet quite higher than the embarrassments. I like to see the way unsavory details are presented (i.e. with maturity or just plain subjectivity). To my surprise; I gained a new favorite black metal band already. The vocals are obviously in-your-face with their declarative presentation, which usually makes something "love-it-or-hate-it". I'm a huge fan of odd and expressive vocals (Attila Csihar and King Diamond are examples of singers who trip my tigger), and I "got it" almost immediately. Besides, I've already been raving to people about the compositional skills being masterful. However, I'm being subjective.
17.04.2013 - 08:31
NikolaFranquelli
Account deleted
Your choice of words, at times, is very inappropriate.
17.04.2013 - 08:47
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 17.04.2013 at 08:31

that's why they pay me the big bucks.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.04.2013 - 11:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 17.04.2013 at 08:31

what is inappropriate about the reviewer's choice of words?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2013 - 18:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
No mention of the attention whore to end all attention whores, Niklas Kvarfoth, guesting on 'Come, Thou Abhorred And Incessant'? Whioch is actually by far the strongest song on here due to his vocals.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2013 - 01:00
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2013 at 18:00

No mention of the attention whore to end all attention whores, Niklas Kvarfoth, guesting on 'Come, Thou Abhorred And Incessant'? Whioch is actually by far the strongest song on here due to his vocals.

amusingly I did not know. I glanced at the sheet... the disk itself was just a burned disk with marker denoting what it contained.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.04.2013 - 01:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 23.04.2013 at 01:00

amusingly I did not know. I glanced at the sheet... the disk itself was just a burned disk with marker denoting what it contained.

aha, the sheet (tiny one at that, the one got) doesn;t mention it, indeed. But got the normal with booklet to review and there it was stated. And listening to the song, one can clearly discern the difference between Niklas and the average Kozeljnik guy
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.04.2013 - 01:16
DeathMetalKnight

Deeper the Fall is their best release, and it'll remain ze best.

Hits total: 4349 | This month: 17