22 users:
Band: Pyrithion
Album: The Burden Of Sorrow
Style: Death metal
Release date: April 2013

01. The Invention Of Hatred
02. Bleed Out
03. Rest In The Arms Of Paralyzed Beast

Ok, I've finally decided to sit down and break my review cherry with a death metal EP that I can't stop listening to. I have tried several times to write a review for several things but could never seem to find the words, however I decided I wanted to sit down and force myself to write something just for the hell of it and to see what this review writing thing is all about.

So, what we have here is the latest and greatest collaboration between vocalist Tim Lambesis, some of you would know him better from his main band As I Lay Dying (and/or his "Ahnold" parody band Austrian Death Machine), and guitarist Ryan Glisan, who many would better know from his main band, Allegaeon. Tim says this of his new side project: "I have wanted to do a heavier and more traditionally metal band for a while. Being that I own a recording studio, I thought a great place to start was by asking my engineer who the best guitar player is that he has recorded. I wanted to team him up with one of my favorite guitar players growing up."

Tim's vocals may be an acquired taste for some since he's more known for his hardcore/metalcore vocals than any death vocals. Nonetheless, I think he suits the style they were obviously aiming for, and nailed very well. He uses a mixed bag of his screams and shouts like in As I Lay Dying (which I've always really enjoyed), but with less of the hardcore element that he employs with his main band. Occasionally this is layered on top of his version of death metal vocals, which I also find to be pretty good and quite enjoyable since they suit the music well.

Now, the music...what we have here is a fine example of catchy, rather speedy, technically proficient death metal that has got plenty of melodies and hooks to keep you coming back over and over again (I know I keep coming back to it!) if you're a fan of good, well-written death metal. Great display of drumming as well by fellow Allegaeon band mate JP Andrade helps keep the back bone of Ryan and Adam's assault of high speed, 8 string technical proficiency and melodic grooves and hooks alive and pounding on the listener throughout.

It's a real shame this is only a 3-track EP because this definitely leaves the listener craving more when that third and final track ends. Definitely recommended for fans of As I Lay Dying and Allegaeon, along with a group of other bands developing a newer trend of late by writing their death metal with more focus on technical proficiency and melody-driven hooks, which include bands such as the aforementioned Allegaeon as well as Ouroboros, Bloodshot Dawn, and Revocation.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by psykometal | 23.04.2013

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 229 users
23.04.2013 - 09:38
Rating: 9
Vermoorden
Love this EP, great review!
23.04.2013 - 09:42
psykometal
A staff guy...
elite
Written by Vermoorden on 23.04.2013 at 09:38

Love this EP, great review!

Thanks!
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.04.2013 - 13:56
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Uuuuuuuuuuummm......Suffocation album art much? Pinnacle of Bedlam vs. this?
23.04.2013 - 14:35
Rating: 6
Nefarious
Doom Knight
staff
Written by LeKiwi on 23.04.2013 at 13:56

That would be because it's the same artist, Raymond Swanland
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
23.04.2013 - 14:43
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Nefarious on 23.04.2013 at 14:35

That would be because it's the same artist, Raymond Swanland

Ahh, that clarifies it I guess there's no issue with plagiarism then. Still holds that there's a lack of creativity, but then again it's death metal...
24.04.2013 - 01:02
Lord_Regnier

That was my own thought as soon as I saw the artwork.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.04.2013 - 23:59
pantherace
Just what Death Metal needs, more uber Jebusy Christian hardcore.

Hits total: 9333 | This month: 5