03. Old Mornings Dawn
04. The White Tower
05. Caradhras
06. Of Pale White Morns And Darkened Eves
07. The Wandering Fire
08. Earthshine
09. The Darkening Of Valinor [special edition bonus]
10. With Fire And Sword [special edition bonus]

Rejoice, my metal brethren and fellow LOTR enthusiasts! Earendil has persuaded the Valar with his Silmaril to make war upon Morgoth for the sake of Middle Earth, casting him beyond the Door Of Night into The Void for all eternity (yeah, that was added in there for the nerds like myself that've actually read The Silmarillion). Tolkien references aside, Summoning's new album, no doubt one of the most anticipated releases of the year, is finally upon us, and from the very first moments of its music the band make it quite clear that the 7 years of waiting since Oath Bound back in '06 have been well worth it for 2013's Old Mornings Dawn.

So, let's just get right to what's no doubt on everyone's minds: how does this new chapter in the Summoning odyssey match up to the rest of their discography? Well, my elf and ent friends, get ready, because Old Mornings Dawn may very well be the catchiest album Summoning have yet put out. This may not seem like I'm saying much, really, because the band have always created memorable instrumentation with their keyboards and horns, but something about the formula this time around seems to just have much more of a hook to it than before. From the brief introductory opener "Evernight," to the main riff of "Flamiffer," and even the percussion on "Of Pale White Morns And Darkened Eves," Summoning's music on Old Mornings Dawn comes across as a lot more groovy and riff-heavy than before. The drums are what really keep this rhythmic pace going, Old Mornings Dawn definitely being one of Summoning's best albums in regards to drumming as well.

Other than that, it's the same epic atmospheric black metal we've come to know and love from Summoning. Well-executed keyboard and guitar parts galore create the usual folklore-ish, medieval type of feel perfect for a LOTR-themed band, especially on "Caradhras" and "The Wandering Fire." In addition, there's also a bit of the band's usual clean vocals thrown into the mix, in the vocal harmony in the middle of "Caradhras," and towards the end of the title track.

So, in essence, Old Mornings Dawn is pretty much like any other Summoning album? for the most part. The groovy melodies the band dabble into on this release give the music a whole different dimension, perhaps unlike any they've ever gotten into before, and this 2013 effort is in my opinion a lot better than the more ambient nature of Oath Bound. Regardless of which is better, however, it's pretty safe to say that at this point in their career, Summoning have built up a very well-respected and well-deserved reputation for themselves with their discography. Few bands have displayed such consistency over the course of their albums, and for this Summoning will surely be remembered once their run is at its end. But that's a point (hopefully) far in the future. In the meantime, enjoy yourselves with what will without question end up being one of the best black metal releases of the year, and let yet another installation in Summoning's Middle Earth-ean saga overtake your soul.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 01.05.2013 by Metal Storm’s own Babalao. Comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable since 2013.

Comments

Comments: 68   Visited by: 879 users
01.05.2013 - 03:22
Susan
Smeghead
Now THIS I'm excited to hear. I don't know the band and for one thing, when you say LOTR-themed metal I automatically think power metal. For another thing, I'm really in the mood for some epic black metal with groovy melodies! This might be a nice little surprise
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
01.05.2013 - 03:29
Rating: 10
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Old Mornings Dawn song is a fucking masterpiece!
01.05.2013 - 03:46
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Susan on 01.05.2013 at 03:22

Now THIS I'm excited to hear. I don't know the band and for one thing, when you say LOTR-themed metal I automatically think power metal. For another thing, I'm really in the mood for some epic black metal with groovy melodies! This might be a nice little surprise

Yeah, when one thinks of LOTR-themed metal I can totally understand why Blind Guardian and Cirith Ungol would probably be the first bands to come to mind. But there are quite a few LOTR-themed black metal bands as well, for example Varg's "Count Grishnackh" alias is actually the name of an orc in the trilogy
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.05.2013 - 06:53
Rating: 9
Opethian

I cannot wait! Great review
01.05.2013 - 07:00
scaesura

You havent heard Summoning? Oh man. Listen to Oath Bound and Stronghold, immediately. Post-haste.
01.05.2013 - 08:22
Dinruth

Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.05.2013 at 03:46

Yeah, when one thinks of LOTR-themed metal I can totally understand why Blind Guardian and Cirith Ungol would probably be the first bands to come to mind. But there are quite a few LOTR-themed black metal bands as well, for example Varg's "Count Grishnackh" alias is actually the name of an orc in the trilogy

There's a shitload of bands out there that take their names from the Tolkien universe (and before you start complaining I know some of them are definitely tolkien themed)

see this topic: http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=14906

But anywaaaaay .. how come there's a review out a month before its release?
01.05.2013 - 09:27
theFIST

You are that lazy you can"t even fully write the name of what you supposedly are enthusiastic about?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
01.05.2013 - 10:14
PocketMetal

Can't stop listening , I will buy it the second i get out of this hell-hole. it's one of Summoning's best albums ... enough said .
01.05.2013 - 11:02
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by BloodJuNkie on 01.05.2013 at 03:29

Yes, best song i have heard.

I still need to dig it more before i rate this record. Due to shitty internet connection out here, 9 min songs are taking hell lot of vitamins from my body.
01.05.2013 - 11:12
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Dinruth on 01.05.2013 at 08:22

Ever been reading through a zine (of any kind) and seen an ad for an album that hasn't been released yet that features quotes like:

"This is one of the most brilliant albums ever!" - Metal Storm
"I haven't heard an album this epic and beautiful in years." - No Clean Singing

Where do you think those pre-release quotes come from?

Labels will sometimes give advanced, promotional-only copies of higher profile artists to several zines (paper and online) for reviewing in advance of release. They do this to help hype up an album before release (it's free advertising for them), and so that they can pick and choose quotes from the reviews for use in those pre-release zine advertisements.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

01.05.2013 - 12:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Their strongest albums in my opinion are Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame (I'm yet to hear this one though). Those two albums sum up their sound the best and I get the feeling you might like them. Have a quick taste here and here.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.05.2013 - 12:29
Borgir

09. The Darkening Of Valinor [special edition bonus]
10. With Fire And Sword [special edition bonus]

I tried to look for special edition cd but couldnt find. It seems that those bonus songs are only at vinyl version or at the one you can buy only from theirs record company, right(deluxe edition)?
01.05.2013 - 12:50
PocketMetal

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.05.2013 at 12:03

Their strongest albums in my opinion are Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame (I'm yet to hear this one though). Those two albums sum up their sound the best and I get the feeling you might like them. Have a quick taste here and here.

those two albums are great but I personally prefer Dol Guldur , that record is just full of amazing songs . this one is catchier and more accessible than all their albums (without dumbing down the music) , and it's seriously EPIC . so if anyone wants to get into Summoning , Old Mornings Dawn would be the perfect choice .
01.05.2013 - 12:58
FeskarN

Sounds like they made a fantastic album once again! Can't wait to hear it
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
01.05.2013 - 13:56
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.05.2013 at 11:02

Written by BloodJuNkie on 01.05.2013 at 03:29

Yes, best song i have hard til now from this record.

I still need to dig it more before i rate this record. Due to shitty internet connection out here, 9 min songs are taking hell lot of vitamins from my body.

agreed, too much talent in this song ... the whole album is good .. but this song is just a masterpiece .. the rest songs differ from good to very good!
01.05.2013 - 14:25
Rating: 7
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I was blown away on the first listen, been waiting for this album for so long. After the initial euphoria I'm afraid some of the tracks are just a bit too similar. If you've listened to the previous albums you know that formula and guitar tone very well. It definitely gives the fans what they want, but others may grow weary after the first few songs. Nice review!

Quote:
So, in essence, Old Mornings Dawn is pretty much like any other Summoning album? for the most part.
01.05.2013 - 15:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This album is very decent but far too long I feel. Most of the initial joy wears off by the end, pretty much because of the reason Intro says, that it's just the same formula throughout. 65 minutes of basically the same thing with little to no variation. They should have lopped off 20 - 25 minutes imo.
01.05.2013 - 17:42
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Guest on 01.05.2013 at 15:30

This album is very decent but far too long I feel. Most of the initial joy wears off by the end, pretty much because of the reason Intro says, that it's just the same formula throughout. 65 minutes of basically the same thing with little to no variation. They should have lopped off 20 - 25 minutes imo.

I actually have to disagree on that one. When a band takes on a lyrical concept that's really epic and powerful, like LOTR, really epic music is (at least in theory) necessary to back that theme up. So these long 8+ minute tracks may kinda drag things out a bit, but I feel as though it really helps build up the mood of the music, especially considering the fact that the long movements can sometimes make it feel like a classical piece, which goes along with the whole epic fantasy vibe.
Different tastes though, I can understand why that type of songwriting could get a little stale to some people after a while.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.05.2013 - 19:16
Zombie94

I would listen to this straight away but I want to finish listening to their back catalogue first. Takes a long ass time to get through just one Summoning album!
01.05.2013 - 23:56
Erik M.

Great review man.

I'm really looking forward to this album, although I hate them for having those special editions with bonus tracks because I don't like pre-ordering stuff (I never actually pre-order anything).

Maybe Summoning just isn't your cup of tea? I mean, the longer the songs, the more Summoning, thus the better, in my opinion.
02.05.2013 - 03:18
Opethian

Written by Erik M. on 01.05.2013 at 23:56

Great review man.

I'm really looking forward to this album, although I hate them for having those special editions with bonus tracks because I don't like pre-ordering stuff (I never actually pre-order anything).

Maybe Summoning just isn't your cup of tea? I mean, the longer the songs, the more Summoning, thus the better, in my opinion.

02.05.2013 - 10:38
garmling
Account deleted
Same ol' good story about Summoning as ever...at first I'm not impressed, but then suddenly it clicks in my mind and it gets better and better til ends up being epic and unforgettable. man, this unique band is such a precious thing which never gets old or boring once you're hooked. and they never fail which I cannot say for any other band on the whole fucking planet! so amazing!!!
right now I'm more into new Shade Empire (brutal stuff!), but in time I know Old Mornings Dawn will end up being my favorite of those two. enough said, am about listening this masterpiece once again
02.05.2013 - 10:46
Dinruth

Written by psykometal on 01.05.2013 at 11:12

Ever been reading through a zine (of any kind) and seen an ad for an album that hasn't been released yet that features quotes like:

"This is one of the most brilliant albums ever!" - Metal Storm
"I haven't heard an album this epic and beautiful in years." - No Clean Singing

Where do you think those pre-release quotes come from?

Labels will sometimes give advanced, promotional-only copies of higher profile artists to several zines (paper and online) for reviewing in advance of release. They do this to help hype up an album before release (it's free advertising for them), and so that they can pick and choose quotes from the reviews for use in those pre-release zine advertisements.

yeah I know about that .. I just didn't know that they also send copies to people from websites .. plus if you read the follow up posts it seems like every other person has listened to it
02.05.2013 - 14:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 01.05.2013 at 23:56

Let Mortal Heroes was actually given a 10 by me before I had a mass downvoting spree
02.05.2013 - 16:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress

Plus if you read the follow up posts it seems like every other person has listened to it

It has indeed been leaked elsewhere on the Internet, I'm sure you can find some tracks from it on youtube... or at least the ones that Napalm hasn't yet had taken down
----

~ II. VII
02.05.2013 - 18:09
Fredd
Account deleted
I be pleased.
02.05.2013 - 20:25
Dinruth

Written by Auntie Sahar on 02.05.2013 at 16:51

Plus if you read the follow up posts it seems like every other person has listened to it

It has indeed been leaked elsewhere on the Internet, I'm sure you can find some tracks from it on youtube... or at least the ones that Napalm hasn't yet had taken down

i preordered the special edition so i'm going to wait until i have it .. but thanks for letting me know
02.05.2013 - 22:04
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 02.05.2013 at 10:38

at first I'm not impressed, but then suddenly it clicks in my mind and it gets better and better til ends up being epic and unforgettable

That right there is exactly what happens to me with every album I've heard so far, although LMHSYF and Old Mornings Dawn will probably be no different at all. It always takes a fair amount of listens to fully grasp their music somehow, which happened to Mourning Beloveth recently as well... didn't like any of their albums (talking about the first two and the fourth album) at first, but now I love them.

Written by Guest on 02.05.2013 at 14:43

Let Mortal Heroes was actually given a 10 by me before I had a mass downvoting spree

Wow, that album is hailed as favourite by many people it seems and I still haven't heard it. You still gave it a 9, which means you think it's their best by a long shot. I'm very curious to hear it, but as always I'll take my time... since I never really keep up with (new) music.
03.05.2013 - 01:08
Vombatus
Potorro
Just listening now to a few songs on youtube that aren't taken down (for now ) , and coupled to your review I can't wait for it to be released !!!

It reminded me much more of the Dol Guldur/Stronghold sound which is exactly what I was hoping for
03.05.2013 - 13:29
garmling
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 02.05.2013 at 22:04

Wow, that album is hailed as favourite by many people it seems and I still haven't heard it. You still gave it a 9, which means you think it's their best by a long shot. I'm very curious to hear it, but as always I'll take my time... since I never really keep up with (new) music.

LMHSYF is my favorite too! and actually that one was the only one I liked from the very first time I heard it. such a powerful music, epic keys, wonderful guitar lines (I miss that style on Oath Bound and Old Mornings Dawn), vocals, well everything works for me on this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIkVsM7Kqqs

Hits total: 23400 | This month: 39