Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Jeff Hanneman Passes Away

Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman passed away today aged 49 due to liver failure. Jeff was one of the founding members of the American thrash band, and will certainly be missed by many the world over.

The official statement from the band's Facebook page reads:

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)

Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 03.05.2013 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 2 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 147   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 877 users
03.05.2013 - 03:00
Mattybu
Awful news, too soon to say goodbye to someone who wrote some of the most definitive metal of all time.

Rest in peace Jeff
03.05.2013 - 03:10
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
At this point I really just hope the band breaks up out of respect for their legacy and the role Jeff contributed to it. For them to continue from here on just kinda seems to me like beating a dead horse (no pun intended)
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
03.05.2013 - 03:12
Lião
Account deleted
End of the band?
03.05.2013 - 03:18
Iceland_Norway
RIP Jeff Hanneman. You will be remembered for what you did with Slayer.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
03.05.2013 - 03:20
.Nemesis.
R.I.P. is all I can say...
----
You try to awaken me, the flesh dripping with blood
My body is there, but my soul a perilous void
Aethereal existence coming off in ambient waves
I am nothing. I AM N1H1L.
03.05.2013 - 03:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Wow... I totally wasn't expecting this. This news has hit me harder even than the death of Ronnie James Dio, as at least I was half expecting that. Slayer really need to do the right thing now, and retire the name with dignity. Slayer without Jeff is not Slayer at all. He may not have been a virtuoso on the axe, but he had a murderous tone that was uniquely his, and his songwriting... well it goes without saying that he came up with some of the most memorable and timeless songs and riffs in all of metal, and a massive influence on the world of extreme metal in particular.

Jeff's searing lead guitar partnership with Kerry King was one of the main reasons I wanted to pick up a guitar in the first place. I still remember clearly being chilled to the bone by Jeff's vicious solo at the end of "South Of Heaven" the first time I heard it. That was my first ever taste of Slayer, and it was one of the defining moments for me as a young metal fan and wannabe guitarist. It's not often that the death of a musician really hits me for six, but this news has left me feeling numb, and genuinely upset. I really hoped he would overcome his recent health troubles, and return to Slayer...

I won't speculate at the moment regarding his liver failure, as it is not the time... RIP Jeff, the metal world has lost a true giant today, and his loss will be felt hugely for quite a long time to come. A true legend. <3
03.05.2013 - 03:48
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'm still in shock about this. My thoughts are with his family and I hope they get the support they need at this time. It must be upsetting for the other guys in the band because they've been making music together for so long. There must be a real closeness in being together in a band for all your adult life. Great guitarist and great songwriter and this is a massive loss for metal.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
03.05.2013 - 03:56
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Totally shitty knews. he drank like a fish, but 49 seems a little young even for a heavy drinker, it must have been the touring coupled with it. from my perspective I'd say he led a full and kickass life.. Rest in Peace Jeff Hanneman you will be remembered.
----
Coldgrits
03.05.2013 - 04:00
Unhealer
Eclecticist
What.the.fuck.

Seriously, wasn't expecting this at all. Got to see Slayer twice but never with him...
03.05.2013 - 04:19
CWA
This calls for a Slayer marathon.
Jeff Hanneman is now thrashing from the beyond.
03.05.2013 - 04:38
Mad Mike
This is just sad, and we are nearing the 3 anniversary of Dio's passing... Too many feels right now.
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
03.05.2013 - 04:49
mikeprado30
Well, so the best generation of musicians of the last times is going to the far beyond, one by one...

The law of life...

And another one...

ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG, ALL THE EVIL SEEMS TO LIVE FOREVER!!!

Thanks for your legacy, Jeff!!! (even when I didn't heard too much from Slayer, but I know to give respect to the great musicians)
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
03.05.2013 - 05:06
Rulatore
Fuck, I'm speechless... just wow =/ =/ =/

RIP
03.05.2013 - 05:19
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
I couldn't even begin to say how many restless and angst-ridden mornings & afternoons these guys got me through back in high school. RIP Jeff, may your music continue "on and on, south of heaven..."
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.05.2013 - 05:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Dreadful. Shocking. Stunned.

This...wasn't expected even he was in hospital from 1.5 years. I thought he gonna recover it and will be hitting the fucking stage soon.

This has hit me pretty hard too. You and your incredible riffs will be highly missed.

RIP Jeff.
03.05.2013 - 05:34
Opethian
Why couldnt it have been Kerry, oh well. Jeff is up there with Dimebag now
03.05.2013 - 05:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
R.I.P Jeff , u will be rehemembered and will love forever in the spirit of slayer.
03.05.2013 - 05:50
3rdWorld
China was a neat
R.I.P Jeff , u will be remembered and will love forever in the spirit of slayer.
03.05.2013 - 05:53
Andresopeth
Wow!!! I just spent all my day in the hospital with my girlfriend because she was ill and was unaware of all news, just checked twitter right now and what a sad surprise.
Totally unexpected, REST IN PEACE trash legend!!
He will be remembered for all eternity!!!:cry:
03.05.2013 - 05:56
Jiri
RIP, Jeff. Respect.
03.05.2013 - 05:57
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Well, now what?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
03.05.2013 - 06:03
Machiavelli
Account deleted
I agree with others who feel they have lost a brother. When you see and hear your metal heroes over and over they become so familiar to you that their death would make you feel such a loss. RIP brother.
03.05.2013 - 06:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Damn, what a shocker. I honestly think the band should retire, but we'll see how it plays out...

R.I.P. Jeff.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.05.2013 - 06:08
nasmith
Written by Opethian on 03.05.2013 at 05:34

Why couldnt it have been Kerry, oh well. Jeff is up there with Dimebag now

*Down there

03.05.2013 - 06:24
Big-Al
RIP...
----

I drink moosepiss
03.05.2013 - 06:28
BreadGod
Account deleted
R.I.P. You may be gone but your work will live forever.
03.05.2013 - 06:33
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Very sad news. Just like a bolt out of the blue.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
03.05.2013 - 06:34
Lord_Regnier
Written by Angelic Storm on 03.05.2013 at 03:24

Wow... I totally wasn't expecting this. This news has hit me harder even than the death of Ronnie James Dio, as at least I was half expecting that. Slayer really need to do the right thing now, and retire the name with dignity. Slayer without Jeff is not Slayer at all. He may not have been a virtuoso on the axe, but he had a murderous tone that was uniquely his, and his songwriting... well it goes without saying that he came up with some of the most memorable and timeless songs and riffs in all of metal, and a massive influence on the world of extreme metal in particular.

Jeff's searing lead guitar partnership with Kerry King was one of the main reasons I wanted to pick up a guitar in the first place. I still remember clearly being chilled to the bone by Jeff's vicious solo at the end of "South Of Heaven" the first time I heard it. That was my first ever taste of Slayer, and it was one of the defining moments for me as a young metal fan and wannabe guitarist. It's not often that the death of a musician really hits me for six, but this news has left me feeling numb, and genuinely upset. I really hoped he would overcome his recent health troubles, and return to Slayer...

I won't speculate at the moment regarding his liver failure, as it is not the time... RIP Jeff, the metal world has lost a true giant today, and his loss will be felt hugely for quite a long time to come. A true legend. <3

I'm in shock myself. Jeff Hanneman was my favorite guitar player on the Thrash scene, along with Mille Petrozza.
And he wrote most of the songs I love from Slayer.

The guitar tandem Hanneman-King is my favorite ever and renowned (rightfully so) as one of the best guitar tandems in the history of music.

Yes, Slayer should retire now. It wouldn't be Slayer without Jeff Hanneman anyway.

R.I.P
As a huge fan of extreme Metal, I owe much to this man for his invaluable contribution to the genesis and development of extreme music, especially riff-wise. Without his influence, I highly doubt extreme Metal would be what it is today.
Never before as a death amongst Metal musicians touched me so much. Metal-wise, it's the saddest day ever in my life.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
03.05.2013 - 06:37
Aetherius
R.I.P Jeff
03.05.2013 - 06:58
Butters49
Rust in Peace, Angel of Death

\m/
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond