Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Jeff Hanneman Passes Away

Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman passed away today aged 49 due to liver failure. Jeff was one of the founding members of the American thrash band, and will certainly be missed by many the world over.

The official statement from the band's Facebook page reads:

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)

Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 03.05.2013 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 4 / 5

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 147   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 877 users
03.05.2013 - 13:27
Kwis

Rest in Peace Jeff. Your spirit will forever live on in Slayer
03.05.2013 - 13:33
Slayerus23
Account deleted
A legend a an influence for me and for many other extreme music guitarists.

See you later, Jeff. Hell awaits.
03.05.2013 - 14:28
Sangre Sani

I'm shocked.
03.05.2013 - 15:05
Abattoir

Rest In Peace... an inspiration for many generations that will follow.
03.05.2013 - 15:18
Mad Arab666

Wow man, didnt think I'd wake up to see such bad news.
Rest in Peace
----
Bring up the wolves head!
03.05.2013 - 15:37
Fritillaria
Account deleted
I didn't feel this sad for the loss any other musician,now I don't have much hope for a slayer show one day !
03.05.2013 - 15:48
bblitz

Very sad day for metal community.He was true legend of metal.I can't say nothing but
RIP Jeff and see you in Hell.
03.05.2013 - 16:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Rest in thrash.
03.05.2013 - 16:10
D.T. Metal

This sucks - so bad - on so many levels.
Folks, cherish the time you have with your friends. This passing shows us once again how limited our time really is
03.05.2013 - 17:14
Jtbmetal123

This is horrible, he will truely be missed.
03.05.2013 - 17:27
Spacerunner

Oh no... Extremely sad and unexpected news... People should not die at this age...
Thank you for your music, Jeff. Rest in peace.
03.05.2013 - 17:57
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Such sad news, R.I.P and will be remembered in metal.
03.05.2013 - 18:07
DeathSlyzer

These are very sad news, indeed. I don't even know what I should say to this. There have been a lot of great people that have passed away in the last couple years, but none of them played in bands I care for. This is the first time that has ever happened to me, and I've been into metal for about 5-6 years.

R.I.P. Jeff. You will be missed!
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
03.05.2013 - 18:41
Pokermask

I really did not see this coming, yet I had this bad feeling before that it probably would. Nevertheless, these are truly tragic news. Slayer is one of the bands that truly opened my mind towards metal and helped me discover the depths of this genre, so Jeff definitely had a very big influence on me.

The band have a choice to make now. Hire a new guitarist (most likely Gary Holt) to bring Jeff's legacy forward, or simply just call it quits. To be honest, I would rather prefer them to just call it quits. I can't see any possibility of this band continuing without him.

R.I.P. Jeff. You will always be remembered.
03.05.2013 - 19:07
okkulta

I grew up with you and now you will be missed, Jeff, great brother of mine... See you in better places....
03.05.2013 - 20:22
Megadeth88

I'm still in complete shock that he's dead. I never thought we'd lose such an influential person in metal this soon. Where ever you may go, stay heavy and thrash on. \m/

R.I.P. Jeff....
03.05.2013 - 21:32
Mr. Blonde

Have to pay respects to a man that was in many ways the driving force of creativity behind a band that (while didn't first introduce me to metal) made me never look at any other music other than metal the same way again. After first hearing Slayer (for me it was in the early 90's), it actually was difficult to even appreciate anything non-metal for a good while. Jeff was known as most of us know for many of the darker toned songs from Slayer that were really years ahead of their time and inspired entire sub-genres of metal in a sense.

Anyways, I'm a fan of the expression that everyone dies twice. Once when you physically expire, and then not again until someone says your name for the last time. In this sense, Jeff Hanneman can live on forever as long as he continues to get the recognition for being such a creative force in a very consistent band.

As for their future. Should they go on without him? How about yes and no. Perhaps they should go on one tour with Holt and give the fans one last swan song tour, but then after that call it quits (as Slayer). Or perhaps they should just continue on, but under a new name.

R.I.P. Jeff
03.05.2013 - 21:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Robb Flynn of machine head and Vio-Lence had some great recollections about Jeff.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.05.2013 - 22:09
In Bone Factory

RIP Jeff \m/
----
The End Is Nigh ...
03.05.2013 - 22:18
neshter
Besiktas
RIP
03.05.2013 - 22:28
JD
Account deleted
R.I.P
03.05.2013 - 22:28
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Lord_Regnier on 03.05.2013 at 06:34
I'm in shock myself. Jeff Hanneman was my favorite guitar player on the Thrash scene, along with Mille Petrozza.
And he wrote most of the songs I love from Slayer.

The guitar tandem Hanneman-King is my favorite ever and renowned (rightfully so) as one of the best guitar tandems in the history of music.

Yes, Slayer should retire now. It wouldn't be Slayer without Jeff Hanneman anyway.

R.I.P
As a huge fan of extreme Metal, I owe much to this man for his invaluable contribution to the genesis and development of extreme music, especially riff-wise. Without his influence, I highly doubt extreme Metal would be what it is today.
Never before as a death amongst Metal musicians touched me so much. Metal-wise, it's the saddest day ever in my life.

Jeff's lead guitar tone, I fell in love with, right from that first moment hearing that scathing lead break during the end section of "South Of Heaven". I know loads of people loved running down Slayer's guitarists, trying to make out that they "couldn't play". But that is simply ignorance. A guitar player doesn't need to be a virtuoso, or a neo-classical shredder to be considered as a great player. Though some narrow minds seem to believe that this is the case. Jeff had a style and tone that was bonechilling, captivating, and most importantly, unique. When I was growing up in my early-mid teens, there were 2 guitar players in particular that inspired me more than any other to pick up a guitar. Marty Friedman, and even more so, Jeff Hanneman. I still remember learning the main riff of "Angel Of Death" on a cheap, nylon string acoustic. Both at home, and locking myself in the music practice room at school during lunch break.

The guitar tag team of Hanneman/King is undoubtedly one the greatest guitar teams in history, and for me, second only to the original masters of the metal twin lead guitar sound, KK Downing and Glenn Tipton of Priest.

As for Slayer retiring, I simply mean they should cease to function as a functioning band in the creative, and writing sense. Although I very much enjoy some of the material that Kerry wrote for Slayer (and I do think his contribution is sometimes unfairly overlooked), it is true that the majority of Slayer's greatest and most classic songs were either written entirely by, or at least co-written by Jeff. No more new albums should be recorded under the name "Slayer", as without Jeff, a key ingrediant would be missing from the mix. A Slayer album without his input, or the guitar team of Hanneman/King is just unthinkable to me. However, I wouldn't be adverse to Tom, Kerry and Dave playing live shows, and honouring Jeff's legacy in that sense.

I did cry shortly after hearing the news, and I guess that I shouldn't be so surprised by that, as Jeff's music and yes, his playing, had such a huge impact on my life, my desire to be a musician, and a greater appreciation for the darker, more aggressive side of the metal sound. His loss is great, but through his music, he is immortal, which is something that I can take some happiness from in this dark day for metal.

@Bittercold: I read Robb Flynn's recollections earlier today. The last memory he shared in particular, was heartbreaking. It makes me wonder how depressed Jeff must have been during the past couple of years, to be out of Slayer for so long, and not being able to play guitar the way he once did.
03.05.2013 - 23:59
belphegor666

What a sad day...my biggest herroe went awya from us...now Slayer is just a word without meaning...Jeff is dead, dave left....without them slayer is nothing...and from 5 years my biggest wish was to see them one day live with the original line-up..but now my dream is ruined...Slayer will never be the same...REST IN PEACE JEFF...We Will Always Have You In Our Hearts ... Lets Raise Our Horns And Shout All Together SSSLLLAAAYYYEEERRR
04.05.2013 - 01:20
afu

This ruined yesterday for me.... Almost every Slayer song I think is great was written by him.
04.05.2013 - 01:40
Timelord

To me this news is surreal. Seems like a week ago I was 14 and buying Haunting the Chapel EP. To me it seems that time is speeding up and all of my generation are dieing out. Bothers me so much that I embraced heroin so I wouldn't have to keep thinking about it every second. All that did was make things worse. Jeff order me a drink be there soon. Until then broheim.............
04.05.2013 - 02:10
Egigantea

I first I thought this was a prank but it seems it's all real enough.
May his influence live on.
04.05.2013 - 02:13
Dedcalm
Account deleted
First of all i need to say that i was truly saddened by the news of Jeff's passing. I've been a fan of Slayer for around 23 / 24 years. I have nothing but the deepest condolences for his family, the band and crew and any one whose life he touched. Slayer helped me through some very hard times including stays in a mental health ward and recovering from a suicide attempt. The recognition for this and all the other people they have helped and some cases I'm sure, saved, goes in no small part to Jeff. His contribution to the band is huge and i have the deepest respect for his colossal talents. R.I.P. Brother. You will be truly missed by very many.

Ok. The second thing i want to say is how can you possibly call for slayer to retire. Do any of you truly believe Jeff would want the band he loved to end because of him? I don't. I think the band should continue as best they can in tribute to this great artist.

One more thing. The person who said 'Why couldnt it have been Kerry?' You disgust me. I'm ashamed to think that one metalhead would wish another dead. How can you even think thats appropriate? One person from our world dies and you want another to go in his place? Please look at yourself in the mirror and think of what you said. I really hope you dislike what you see. Thats wrong man. We are family. We are one. We are metal.

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman.
04.05.2013 - 10:25
unswabbed

R.I.P. Jeff, slayer never be the same without you
04.05.2013 - 10:29
Monolithic
♠♠♠
The world of metal lost a great icon.

R.I.P
04.05.2013 - 12:08
Himedal

With Lombardo gon and Hanneman dead, Slayer won't last longer. I AM SO FUCKING MAD. Why should a legendary band end like this?
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken

Hits total: 13531 | This month: 10