03. Closer
04. Are You There?
05. Childhood Dream
06. Pulled Under At 2000 Metres A Second
07. A Natural Disaster
08. Flying
09. Electricity
10. Violence

I can't believe these guys, the Cavanagh bros and Co. are talented musicians, there no hint of doubt about that, I mean, Anathema keeps getting better every release, last time we listened them in their new "atmospheric/acoustic" phase with "A Fine Day To Exit", now with "A Natural Disaster" they pushed things further and created another melancholic masterpiece.

Let's start by saying that the cover art is simply gorgeous, definitely an excellent choice, and in my opinion, the best cover Anathema has ever come up with.
Anyway, as I was saying, last time Anathema was leaning towards more acoustic sounds, more like Radiohead or something in that style, but much, much sadder. This time things have changed and A Natural Disaster is more atmospheric than acoustic, is more about feelings and emotional yet sad vocals, is more about piano and Hammond than guitars and distortion, is more about feelings.

The album starts with "harmonium" song that reminds that the Pink Floyd influences are still there, "Balance" is more straight-forward while "Closer" uses interesting voice experimentation. When you reach track 4 "Are You There?" is time to see the world through the eyes of Anathema, is a bleak world my friends, and is a wonderful song, if you don't feel touched in any way by this song, you have no heart, as a matter of fact, chances are that you're made of stone and you didn't notice yet.

"Pulled Under At 2000 Meters A Second" is the only aggressive song of the record, and it just rocks big time! The song " A Natural Disaster" features enchanting female vocals all through the song, reminded me of Portishead?
"Flying" is a incredible song and my favorite of the album, the vocals of Vince Cavanagh are out of this world in this one, and the song has one of the most perfect atmospheres that I've ever listened, next is "Electricity" another great song, more calmer and with an almost hypnotic piano line.

I can't really find the words to describe this album, the only thing you need to know is that this is another masterpiece by these guys, not so metal anymore, but hey! Look at the bright side, your non-metal girlfriend is going to love this! At least mine does.

Written by Undercraft | 00.00.0000

Staff review by
Deadsoulman
Rating:
I must warn you now, A Natural Disaster is not metal, even less than the mainly acoustic Judgement and A Fine To Exit. I guess that when Danny Cavanagh said that it was the heaviest album they had ever recorded, he was either stoned, or completely hammered. No doubt, A Natural Disaster is an album of dark emotional depressive rock that shows the most progressive side of Anathema. And yet the very purpose to this album was to come back to the times of Eternity and Alternative 4 i.e. to make a music more aggressive, definitely more metal than the latest releases. Well this is just not really the case...

Read more ››
published 21.02.2004 | Comments (5)

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 105 users
15.12.2006 - 22:06
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I think this review is quite right. I felt it the same way and it feels special. It is a masterpiece indeed, yet another Anathema's masterpiece.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.04.2008 - 19:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
agree about review but i dont think they r a litte like "radio head" ! NEVER !
9.5 is a good point for this album so i vote for ur review: 9.8 (cause of RADIOHEAD lol
26.09.2008 - 14:19
REGRET.

I feel ...
26.09.2008 - 16:40
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I soooooo need this album.
I remember the time when I was on a cd-store buying Judgement and Schizophrenia of Sepultura and when I was paying my sister go behind me and buy A natural Disaster and shoed it to me...

Damn I was pissed of that day.

This cd would be probably the most depressive of all the albums.
Specially the song "Flying" His vocals are so pure... I almost cried the first time...

"It feels like I'm flying above you..."
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.09.2008 - 20:21
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.09.2008 at 16:40

I soooooo need this album.
I remember the time when I was on a cd-store buying Judgement and Schizophrenia of Sepultura and when I was paying my sister go behind me and buy A natural Disaster and shoed it to me...

Damn I was pissed of that day.

This cd would be probably the most depressive of all the albums.
Specially the song "Flying" His vocals are so pure... I almost cried the first time...

"It feels like I'm flying above you..."

It's heavy stuff, not for the faint-hearted
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
26.09.2008 - 20:24
marillionfan
Account deleted
I need to listen to this album soon - haven't listened to Anathema for quite a while, time to dust off those albums.
26.09.2008 - 20:24
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 26.09.2008 at 20:21

It's heavy stuff, not for the faint-hearted

If you like pain... Then it's ok to be faint-hearted and listen to this stuff all the time as I do.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.12.2008 - 17:42
Italics

Masterpiece
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
30.05.2009 - 05:18
AngelOfDisease

My non-metal girlfriend will love this? oh then this will be a great album xD (though she likes some metal bands but anyways)
great review btw!
21.11.2009 - 01:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Well, ''A Fine Day to exit'' had a lot of atmospheric/acoustic moments, but this one has just too much.

Its boring, except for a couple of songs, the ambient is not as much melancholic as it is boring. At least to me, this album had no effect emotionally.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 5878 | This month: 8