Metal Storm logo
Clean vocals vs growl

Original post

Posted by Warman, 16.12.2006 - 14:48
This is a pretty tough question and I do find it interesting to see what we Metalstormers prefer.
If I had to choose between clean vocals or growl I'm certain that I would choose the second option. I am right now into more extreme and heavier metal and that's the reason why I choose growl.

EDIT: Some wish to have a third option which includes both options. I didn't include it because I want a more clear result.

Poll

What do you prefer? Clean vocals or growl?

Clean vocals
Growl

Total votes: 252
01.02.2009 - 15:49
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Clean. No growl I've encountered could have matched the beauty of Jørn Lande's voice.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
01.02.2009 - 22:04
Captain Renor
Account deleted
It depends on the genre and the style of the band sometimes either or both works. But personally i love music as heavy as i can get it, which generally means less singing. Maybe not growling either. Jens Kidman is prollly my favorite vocalist, he does kinda halfway between a scream and a growl.
03.02.2009 - 14:54
Hellbound666
Account deleted
It depends to genre but mostly i liked growling vocals
06.02.2009 - 18:48
benvolent

That really depends on the genre - in some genres you can't even think about clean vocals. And as much as I love bands like Meshuggah and Quo Vadis, I prefer clean vocals in general. There's is just another musical line then, and that's, what I search for...

On the other hand there are such talented growlers like Jason Peppiat from Psycroptic, which have so many versions of growling, shouting and shrieking, that I couldn't figure more versatility!
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
01.11.2009 - 21:26
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Like a lot of other people here, I think that it does depend, but I definitely like growls better. It defines metal nowadays, and clean vocals sometimes piss me off, especially live.
01.11.2009 - 23:53
ToMegaTherion

This is actually harder than you might think for me, because A) it depends on my mood, B) it depends on the voice/growl, and C) I like both equally
04.11.2009 - 18:42
19Ninety-Three

It depends on my mood, really. And it depends on the harmonization(sorry if I spelt that wrong) of the music with the vocals.
03.07.2010 - 00:26
Sulac

I prefer clean vocals, especially power metal
03.07.2010 - 15:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
I love growled vocals. I have nothing against clean, but I just prefer growling (that or thrash shouting).
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
03.07.2010 - 20:52
Kennoth

I'd say clean vocals only because I can live with the song with only clean vocals, but the song with only growled ones wouldn't work out for me.

But the best is combination of the two, of course.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.07.2010 - 07:58
MetalFist
Account deleted
Clean to me is more awesome. But growl is nonthelesss good depends on the genre too.
22.09.2011 - 20:24
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Depends on the mood. But I listen to mostly harsh vocals, so I'll vote for growl, which doesn't mean I don't like clean vocals when they're done good.
28.10.2012 - 11:35
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I mostly prefer clean vocals myself, however I love growls as well, really depends on my mood however. I'll always be in the mood for clean vocals.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.11.2012 - 18:46
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
I like clean vocals because I love good lyrics and I like to be able to understand them. Also growling just doesn't appeal to me in general,it makes me wonder why I am listening to whatever thing it is, even if the instruments are great, which is a shame.
07.11.2012 - 18:52
FourMechALEX
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 03.07.2010 at 15:27

I love growled vocals. I have nothing against clean, but I just prefer growling (that or thrash shouting).

There's a good point. I love thrash metal and I forgot about the concept of thrash shouting being it's own category. I tend to prefer the cleaner side of the thrash shouting thing, (for example Megadeth more than Slayer, though I like both) but much of it is good. I think it falls into the clean category officially, but I don't really think it should be in either. I feel like it's too growl-y for most clean vocals people and too clean for most growl vocals people or else thrash would be more popular.
07.11.2012 - 19:05
IronAngel

This is a no-brainer for me. All other things being equal, would I rather have melody or no melody? Granted, not all other things are equal, since there's timbre, tone etc. to consider. Harsh vocals are very fitting in many styles, and I have no problems listening to an album full of them. But the highlights of many extreme metal albums are the occasional clean vocal melodies, and a person's clean vocal timbre is certainly more often recognizable and unique. There are plenty of great singers out there, but "great growlers" are harder to identify.
10.11.2012 - 16:40
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
It does depends.. But mostly I do enjoy growling more than clean vocals.. For me, there is more power to a song when there are growling, but if there are some REALLY good clean vocals, I do love that. (Mercenary albums The Hours That Remain and Architect Of Lies, and Amorphis)