Metal Storm logo
U.K. College Offering Two-Year Course In Heavy Metal

10.05.2013 - 13:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
According to BBC News, New College Nottingham (NCN) ? which is said to be one of the largest further education colleges in the U.K. ? is offering a two-year degree in heavy metal music.

The course was developed over a seven-month period by Liam Maloy, a lecturer in music performance at NCN, who describes the class as "academically rigorous."

"In the past, heavy metal has not been taken seriously and is seen as lacking academic credibility when compared with other genres such as jazz and classical music," he adds. "But that's just a cultural construction."

During the course, which is due to start in September, students will acquire skills in how to compose and perform heavy metal songs and will learn about the music business, the history of heavy metal and its role in films and video games. They will also perform at venues around the country during the course's second year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-22467155
https://www.ncn.ac.uk/search/CourseInfo.aspx?id=2175&rwndrnd=0.30487052161781813
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.05.2013 - 13:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Here are your chance at graduate
----

apos;'
[image]
10.05.2013 - 13:24
Fritillaria
Account deleted
WOW are kidding me ! :O if only they grant scholarships !!!!!
10.05.2013 - 15:25
ANGEL REAPER

Another interesting but totally worthless (in sense of making money for life) course...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.05.2013 - 03:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 10.05.2013 at 15:25

Another interesting but totally worthless (in sense of making money for life) course...

making money is not worthless, even cheeting is good if money goes to your pocket
----

apos;'
[image]
11.05.2013 - 03:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BTW I can applay for a job, same Marcel
----

apos;'
[image]
11.05.2013 - 17:09
Vombatus
Potorro
Interesting.... yet not very useful to base one's career around it....

The best thing of such initiatives is probably the growing awareness of metal as a legitimate subject of study on an academical level. Some time ago I saw this page of FB:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Society-for-Metal-Music-Studies/155690037851820

Which is another excellent project, eager to see how it evolves.
11.05.2013 - 17:10
Bulletdodger

This.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
11.05.2013 - 17:16
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Bad English on 11.05.2013 at 03:16

making money is not worthless, even cheeting is good if money goes to your pocket

dude i suggest you to closely and slowly read my post again....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
11.05.2013 - 17:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.05.2013 at 17:16

shit man you shoid say be sobber and read it agan
----

apos;'
[image]
11.05.2013 - 17:19
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Bad English on 11.05.2013 at 17:17

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.05.2013 at 17:16

shit man you shoid say be sobber and read it agan

what is meant by my post is that this course is sure interesting to attend ...but it is useless for making money ...
----
11.05.2013 - 17:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.05.2013 at 17:19

post is that this course is sure interesting to attend ...but it is useless for making money ...

I know it, I read yesterday I was drunk a lil bit
----

apos;'
[image]
11.05.2013 - 17:24
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Bad English on 11.05.2013 at 17:22

post is that this course is sure interesting to attend ...but it is useless for making money ...

oh...OK man...
----
12.05.2013 - 06:12
FOOCK Nam

I would join if they have scholarship, if any, remember to announce to me : )))
12.05.2013 - 06:27
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 11.05.2013 at 17:24

oh...OK man...

but most of the courses are useless isn't it ?
12.05.2013 - 12:02
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 12.05.2013 at 06:27

oh...OK man...

well if you study technical studies (applicable in industry ) then courses are usable...same goes to math,and cutting edge technologies ....if you study anything related to human studies (sociology) than its useless of course...
----
12.05.2013 - 13:03
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.05.2013 at 12:02

well if you study technical studies (applicable in industry ) then courses are usable...same goes to math,and cutting edge technologies ....if you study anything related to human studies (sociology) than its useless of course...

and it's really sad to hear it ! me and many other people are not interested in technical courses and industry or business and economy, and in the first glance the sociology and other humanity fields are not useful at all but actually it's not true !
12.05.2013 - 13:10
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 12.05.2013 at 13:03

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.05.2013 at 12:02

Written by Guest on 12.05.2013 at 06:27

oh...OK man...

and it's really sad to hear it ! me and many other people are not interested in technical courses and industry or business and economy, and in the first glance the sociology and other humanity fields are not useful at all but actually it's not true !

trust me ...when shit hit the fan ...when country's power start to crumble,economy to decay and society go downhill (like where i live) first occupations to be cut off and fired are administrations and humanity studies based ones.... today here of all people with university degree who are unemployed are 70% those with some degree of humanity studies (or law and economics). Engineers however even today find decent jobs in matter of months after graduation and in my branch the jobs are payed good.Even big company like Microsoft ,Google ,HP are hiring people from my faculty even before they finish studies because there is high demand for them.On the other hand this studies are hard but i am not worried about job when i finish with them.
----
12.05.2013 - 14:23
Sophist

If you study humanities you must accept that you won't be swimming in money from that alone, but if you're good and find a nice field to dig your teeth in you can make a living. Also, there's no chance in hell I'm gonna spend 4+ years in education studying something I detest just to be able to earn more money, no cash can bring that time and effort back, so I'm gonna study what interests me.
As for Sociology, there are plenty places where you can apply your expertise, but that spot won't fall in your lap, you gotta present yourself and show you're valuable, and in case for my country, have connections which I sadly lack at the time.
12.05.2013 - 15:00
Bulletdodger

The direction this thread is taking:

I like it
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
13.05.2013 - 04:00
F.N.S.C.A.C

Is this course necessary though? Can't you just do all this yourself anyway? And on the website one of the aims is "Develop employability skills", what does that even mean?!
13.05.2013 - 09:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
This type of course work will be for people interested in being professional musicians, producers, and/or managers in the rock and metal world. Beyond that, it's entirely impractical and a waste of time.

This is like when members of metal bands go to college to get a degree in whatever their preferred instrumentation is, it's not practical unless you actually apply it in a band and are 120% devoted to making a life for themselves as professional musicians. So this would be a great opportunity for anybody who dreams of being a rock star some day.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

13.05.2013 - 17:26
FOOCK Nam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.05.2013 at 13:10

oh...OK man...

trust me ...when shit hit the fan ...when country's power start to crumble,economy to decay and society go downhill (like where i live) first occupations to be cut off and fired are administrations and humanity studies based ones.... today here of all people with university degree who are unemployed are 70% those with some degree of humanity studies (or law and economics). Engineers however even today find decent jobs in matter of months after graduation and in my branch the jobs are payed good.Even big company like Microsoft ,Google ,HP are hiring people from my faculty even before they finish studies because there is high demand for them.On the other hand this studies are hard but i am not worried about job when i finish with them.

It has happened here too. There is so high demand for technology/computer/administration after economically system changed. Computer student ably find good jobs with nice pays. The only thing I wonder is that if employed for Computer science jobs, the beginning even starting already with good salary, but how is the prospect of the career development ? if you employed as code writer, will you in that position for permanent with no promotion of level...?
13.05.2013 - 17:31
ANGEL REAPER

Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.05.2013 at 17:26

It has happened here too. There is so high demand for technology/computer/administration after economically system changed. Computer student ably find good jobs with nice pays. The only thing I wonder is that if employed for Computer science jobs, the beginning even starting already with good salary, but how is the prospect of the career development ? if you employed as code writer, will you in that position for permanent with no promotion of level...?

it depends on what are you : only code writer of engineer.Code writer only is basically stuck with same job (usually slowly promoting up ) . Engineers start as code writers/debuggers but usually got promoted into developers/project managers very fast.
----
13.05.2013 - 17:40
FOOCK Nam

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.05.2013 at 17:31

Written by FOOCK Nam on 13.05.2013 at 17:26

it depends on what are you : only code writer of engineer.Code writer only is basically stuck with same job (usually slowly promoting up ) . Engineers start as code writers/debuggers but usually got promoted into developers/project managers very fast.

Thanks dude clarifying me. It's such a huge gain for Computer graduate here, ably starts at $2 grands even in the begining : )))
12.12.2013 - 21:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----

apos;'
[image]