Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Jeff Hanneman's Cause Of Death Explained

While the metal world is still wrapping their heads around the fact that Jeff Hanneman has passed away, Slayer has revealed what caused his death.

The band released the following statement: "While the details are being worked out now, Slayer wants its fans to know that there will be a celebration of Jeff Hanneman's life sometime later this month, along with Jeff's family and friends, the public will be invited to attend. More information will be posted here soon."

"We've just learned that the official cause of Jeff's death was alcohol related cirrhosis. While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent Necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life. Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving - he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record."

Tom Araya and Kerry King also released this message for their European fans: "We know that our fans everywhere are hurting for the loss of Jeff just as we are. We want to let you all know that when we come to Europe this summer in June, July and August, we'll ALL be making noise together for our brother and dear friend Jeff... We'll see you then!"

Both Tom and King remembered some good times they shared with Jeff.

Kerry: "I had so many great times with Jeff... in the early days when we were out on the road, he and I were the night owls, we would stay up all night on the bus, just hanging out, talking, watching movies... World War II movies, horror movies, we watched Full Metal Jacket so many times, we could practically recite all of the dialogue."

Tom: "When we first formed Slayer, we used to rehearse all the time, religiously, 24/7. Jeff and I spent a lot of time hanging out together, he lived in my father's garage which was also our rehearsal space. When he got his own apartment, he had an 8-track and I would go there to record songs I'd written, not Slayer songs, other stuff I'd written. At a certain point, you still have the band but you start your own lives outside of the band, so that 24/7 falls to the side, you don't spend as much time together as you once did. I miss those early days."

Kerry: "He was a gigantic World War II buff, his father served in that war, so when Slayer played Russia for the first time - I think it was 1998 - Jeff and I went to one of Moscow's military museums. I'll never forget him walking around that place, looking at all of the tanks, weapons and other exhibits. He was like a kid on Christmas morning. But that was Jeff's thing, he knew so much about WW II history, he could have taught it in school."

Tom: "We were in New York recording South Of Heaven. Jeff and I were at the hotel and we had to get to the studio - I think it was called Chung King, a real rundown place. So we left the hotel and decided to walk, but then it started raining. We walked maybe five blocks, and it was raining so hard, we were totally soaked, so we decided to get a cab. Here we are, two dudes with long hair and leather jackets, absolutely soaked, thumbing to the studio. No one would stop. We had to walk the entire way."

Tom: "Jeff was a lifeline of Slayer, he wrote so many of the songs that the band will always be known for. He had a good heart, he was a good guy."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 10.05.2013 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   Visited by: 738 users
10.05.2013 - 13:54
mz

Too bad slayer do not seem to call its quit
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.05.2013 - 14:03
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 13:54

It's alright for them to do what they think is best. After all, it's their band and their music and their lives. Sure, as fans we might like them to do certain things, but need to respect that it's their choice and their right.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
10.05.2013 - 14:22
Xylem

I don't think there should be any pressure for them to quit outright or straight away. A farewell tour or something would be what I want; it'd be a way for the band and the fans to say goodbye to Jeff and the amazing music he wrote over the years. Plus I've always managed to miss opportunities to see Slayer and would like to see them perform their music at least once, even without Hanneman.
10.05.2013 - 14:45
Holyhell

I expected that. Their whole life is about writing and performing music, they've been doing this for the last 30 years of their lives. What would you expect them to do? Stop making music and find an ordinary job? That would be impossible. I understand them - they'll call it quits only when they retire, so I believe we'll be able to see them on stage in the next at least 5-10 years. And I agree with that, although Jeff's death is the greatest possible loss.
10.05.2013 - 14:49
mz

Written by Ace Frawley on 10.05.2013 at 14:03

It's alright for them to do what they think is best. After all, it's their band and their music and their lives. Sure, as fans we might like them to do certain things, but need to respect that it's their choice and their right.

I clearly understand what you mean, but after what happened between band and their drummer (which is an undeniable shame for a legendary band as slayer) and death of their long time guitarist, it would be better for band to stop their carrier and save some of their heritage and legacy. Needless to say that I doubt that if they record new album, it would be good.
----
10.05.2013 - 14:52
mz

Written by Xylem on 10.05.2013 at 14:22

I don't think there should be any pressure for them to quit outright or straight away. A farewell tour or something would be what I want; it'd be a way for the band and the fans to say goodbye to Jeff and the amazing music he wrote over the years. Plus I've always managed to miss opportunities to see Slayer and would like to see them perform their music at least once, even without Hanneman.

what if they continue recording new material?
----
10.05.2013 - 15:01
mz

Written by Holyhell on 10.05.2013 at 14:45

I expected that. Their whole life is about writing and performing music, they've been doing this for the last 30 years of their lives. What would you expect them to do? Stop making music and find an ordinary job? That would be impossible. I understand them - they'll call it quits only when they retire, so I believe we'll be able to see them on stage in the next at least 5-10 years. And I agree with that, although Jeff's death is the greatest possible loss.

As I stated earlier, they would have destructive effect on their legacy if they continue in this conditions IMO. These guys are not young, sooner or later they should call their quit because of their age. They are not now able to perform songs from region in blood live to the best of my knowledge and this indicated that they are old guys for running slayers carrier. My point is that they would disband in near future or continue as mediocre band without its main band members.
----
10.05.2013 - 15:23
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 15:01

As I stated earlier, they would have destructive effect on their legacy if they continue in this conditions IMO. These guys are not young, sooner or later they should call their quit because of their age. They are not now able to perform songs from region in blood live to the best of my knowledge and this indicated that they are old guys for running slayers carrier. My point is that they would disband in near future or continue as mediocre band without its main band members.

Geez... there have been lots and lots of bands that continued recording and playing live even after a founding member died. Like another user said, if you've done a thing for 30 years which is a life of a man, then it is hard to give it up. I agree that Slayer is in turmoil, but this event might be a good thing and maybe Araya and King will come to peace with Dave. However, I don't think they will call it quits. It is hard for them since they did not face many line-up changes in the past 30 years... And seriously, they are only around 50. You have other metal artists that are over 60 and they are still recording and touring. This is not a rule that applies to everyone.
10.05.2013 - 15:43
mordecai
Account deleted
Does anybody knows if Lombardo is still a band member?
10.05.2013 - 15:49
mz

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 10.05.2013 at 15:23

Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 15:01

Geez... there have been lots and lots of bands that continued recording and playing live even after a founding member died. Like another user said, if you've done a thing for 30 years which is a life of a man, then it is hard to give it up. I agree that Slayer is in turmoil, but this event might be a good thing and maybe Araya and King will come to peace with Dave. However, I don't think they will call it quits. It is hard for them since they did not face many line-up changes in the past 30 years... And seriously, they are only around 50. You have other metal artists that are over 60 and they are still recording and touring. This is not a rule that applies to everyone.

Well, I have churned out my reasons already and have nothing more to say. If you think I am wrong, that is ok, since I think so you are
Now, peace:beer:
----
10.05.2013 - 15:53
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Alcohol related.....shocker...
----
rekt
10.05.2013 - 15:54
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress

I can understand why they're not, but I agree with you: I wish they would. At this point in the band's career, they've already built up an amazing legacy and discography, it's not as if they aren't well-known and well-respected. So why not just leave that for all it is to be proud of and reflect on? Continuing on at this point just kinda seems like beating a dead horse to me, quite unnecessary. And I mean really now: it's not Slayer without Jeff. Just like how Metallica were never the same without Cliff, would've been better if they had just broken up after his death and honored both his legacy and the legacy of the band up to that point in time.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
10.05.2013 - 19:06
Malphas

You are absolutely right that Slayer isn't the same without Jeff, especially if we mention that he was the main creative force behind the band...who's gonna write riffs for future Slayer albums now? Kerry King? please....and besides, Tom and Kerry were smart enough to kick Dave out of the band a few month ago with that "affair" lol. The only smart thing for them left to do is finish those tours and events in honor of Jeff and call it off.
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
10.05.2013 - 20:26
mz

Written by Auntie Sahar on 10.05.2013 at 15:54

I can understand why they're not, but I agree with you: I wish they would. At this point in the band's career, they've already built up an amazing legacy and discography, it's not as if they aren't well-known and well-respected. So why not just leave that for all it is to be proud of and reflect on? Continuing on at this point just kinda seems like beating a dead horse to me, quite unnecessary. And I mean really now: it's not Slayer without Jeff. Just like how Metallica were never the same without Cliff, would've been better if they had just broken up after his death and honored both his legacy and the legacy of the band up to that point in time.

Finally, tnx for sharing my opinion, I had started to feel lonely here . But seriously, as you stated, they would be more respected in the future if they put an end to their carrier now. It seems that I couldn't state this as good as you.
----
10.05.2013 - 20:41
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Is the band's decision, my respect for them will not change just for future bad albums. And their legacy will not change for that.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.05.2013 - 02:01
Dedcalm
Account deleted
I truly hope Slayer continue.
I wont deny that loss of Jeff is tragic for the band and i for one will miss his incredible talents as a song writter, but, we don't know who would take the second spot on guitar and what sort of writting they could produce.
Cliff Burton was a great loss to Metallica. At the time they didn't have half the experiance or skills that Slayer have now, but that did not stop them going from strength to strength after his passing.
11.05.2013 - 02:37
blacktooth85

I can deal with Gary Holt filling in for good, but if Lombardo doesn't return they should call it a day. Maybe do a few tribute shows... I don't like the idea of them even recording a new album without Jeff...
11.05.2013 - 07:25
nasmith

"Here we are, two dudes with long hair and leather jackets, absolutely soaked, thumbing to the studio. No one would stop. We had to walk the entire way."

LMFAO The story of our lives....
11.05.2013 - 10:47
Machiavelli
Account deleted
I'm a huge fan of Lombardo so it irks me that he is gone but man can you imagine losing a brother like Hanneman? I can't even imagine (never been in a band more than 2 years). That must hurt. ALCOHOL! DEMON ALCOHOL! I am one of those lucky bastards who has discovered HERB as the greatest intoxicant and way to discover new ways of thought. Please, brothers and sisters. Give pot a chance. A couple of tokes and a couple of beers instead of 6 beers. Get a nice sativa strain with uplifting effects they got shitloads of databases online to find specific effects of different strains. Enjoy life and don't die until you are old wise and ready to go.
11.05.2013 - 23:26
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by mz on 10.05.2013 at 14:52

what if they continue recording new material?

Their choice.
----
11.05.2013 - 23:34
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 11.05.2013 at 10:47

I'm a huge fan of Lombardo so it irks me that he is gone but man can you imagine losing a brother like Hanneman? I can't even imagine (never been in a band more than 2 years). That must hurt. ALCOHOL! DEMON ALCOHOL! I am one of those lucky bastards who has discovered HERB as the greatest intoxicant and way to discover new ways of thought. Please, brothers and sisters. Give pot a chance. A couple of tokes and a couple of beers instead of 6 beers. Get a nice sativa strain with uplifting effects they got shitloads of databases online to find specific effects of different strains. Enjoy life and don't die until you are old wise and ready to go.

Is this the same Machiavelli that was ranting and angry in the comment thread for Lambesis' arrest? Classic, I thought pot heads were usually mellow and calm but you've broken the mould. Only common ground I can find with you is being a fan of Lombardo but promoting the cause of pot is a pretty flimsy argument if you ask me. The risks and dangers from it are very serious as well. Better argument is to use alcohol in moderation. Anyway, I hope you don't fly off the deep end because I've disagreed with you. If you feel the anger rising, just take another toke and mellow out dude.
----
12.05.2013 - 06:41
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 11.05.2013 at 23:34

Written by Guest on 11.05.2013 at 10:47

Is this the same Machiavelli that was ranting and angry in the comment thread for Lambesis' arrest? Classic, I thought pot heads were usually mellow and calm but you've broken the mould. Only common ground I can find with you is being a fan of Lombardo but promoting the cause of pot is a pretty flimsy argument if you ask me. The risks and dangers from it are very serious as well. Better argument is to use alcohol in moderation. Anyway, I hope you don't fly off the deep end because I've disagreed with you. If you feel the anger rising, just take another toke and mellow out dude.

Let me be clear: my rant was against those who would defend a misogynist psychopath, and who cares if I think AILD sucks? Sure I smoke pot but why would I not hate stupidity and psychotic behavior when others seem to think it is OK? I'll even use violence to stop violence on the vulnerable. How's that for breaking stereotypes? My anger is a gift and I use it to get shit done.
12.05.2013 - 07:25
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 12.05.2013 at 06:41

Let me be clear: my rant was against those who would defend a misogynist psychopath, and who cares if I think AILD sucks? Sure I smoke pot but why would I not hate stupidity and psychotic behavior when others seem to think it is OK? I'll even use violence to stop violence on the vulnerable. How's that for breaking stereotypes? My anger is a gift and I use it to get shit done.

Fair enough if that was what your rant was about. but it seemed a lot less clear to me from what I read. You seemed to be going off at people for no real reason or justification. You even went off at me. Anyway, I'm glad you've settled down because I prefer it when you make sensible points or give sensible opinions, which you are clearly capable of.
----
12.05.2013 - 09:55
Machiavelli
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 12.05.2013 at 07:25

Written by Guest on 12.05.2013 at 06:41

Fair enough if that was what your rant was about. but it seemed a lot less clear to me from what I read. You seemed to be going off at people for no real reason or justification. You even went off at me. Anyway, I'm glad you've settled down because I prefer it when you make sensible points or give sensible opinions, which you are clearly capable of.

Indeed. You are fairly rational for a drunk bastard from Oz. Good music to you.
13.05.2013 - 13:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 12.05.2013 at 09:55

Indeed. You are fairly rational for an awesome, cool legend from Oz. Good music to you.

Thanks, mate, for your kind words.
----
14.05.2013 - 17:33
Darth Revan

I think it's completely out of place for anyone to tell Slayer to call it quits. Jeff was a pillar of the band's songwriting, and almost all of my favorite Slayer songs were written by him. But it's still the band's decision on whether or not they want to end the metaphorical concert. Personally I'd like to see them make a song celebrating Jeff's legacy and contributions to the world, not hang up the guitars and call it quits, but it's the band's decision on what they want to do in the face of such a crisis, and not anyone else's.
14.05.2013 - 19:42
Big-Al

Still sad...
----

I drink moosepiss
16.05.2013 - 21:24
Dedcalm
Account deleted
Written by blacktooth85 on 11.05.2013 at 02:37

I can deal with Gary Holt filling in for good, but if Lombardo doesn't return they should call it a day. Maybe do a few tribute shows... I don't like the idea of them even recording a new album without Jeff...

It doesn't matter if any of us like them recording a new album or not. They are Slayer. Not us. They should do what they think is right. Our music is littered with bands that have lost one of their members and even their most creative member. But they have carried on and done well. I for one will not give up on Slayer. They will always have my support. As i have said previously, if they find a new guitarist we have no idea how good a songwriter that person will be.
Long live Slayer.
17.05.2013 - 00:03
blacktooth85

Written by Guest on 16.05.2013 at 21:24

Written by blacktooth85 on 11.05.2013 at 02:37

It doesn't matter if any of us like them recording a new album or not. They are Slayer. Not us. They should do what they think is right. Our music is littered with bands that have lost one of their members and even their most creative member. But they have carried on and done well. I for one will not give up on Slayer. They will always have my support. As i have said previously, if they find a new guitarist we have no idea how good a songwriter that person will be.
Long live Slayer.

Yeah i mean i'll still continue to follow them and see them live if they still continue to tour, but it's definitely not going to be the same. Bands have lost their core members over the years and still maintained a fanbase and made some solid material. But to me with Slayer it's different. With the exception of Paul Bostaph in the 90s, they've had the same original line-up for nearly 30 years. It's not like Megadeth or something where line-up changes are a regular thing... I just hope they can work out whatever problems Lombardo has with them and the management.
17.05.2013 - 21:29
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Jeff was the lifeline of Thrash.... I still couldn't believe that he died.. i mean the news hit all of a sudden, and it was totally unexpected.. its more of a shock...
Although his physical form is no more its certain that Jeff will live in the hearts of Metal heads forever....

Hits total: 7685 | This month: 12