Metal Storm logo
Guide To First Wave Of Black Metal

This list is a guide to the first wave of Black Metal.
Releases here are considered to be a part of the first wave
or they stylistically are similar to the first wave bands.
Some releases are of thrash/death bands but please note that
at the time first wave wasn't really homogeneous style and that
those bands are included cause they were influence to the bands
that will later form Second wave.
Have in mind that First wave ceased to exist somewhere around 1987-1989.
Releases are ordered by release year.
Have fun!

Created by: ANGEL REAPER | 13.05.2013

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by ANGEL REAPER ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 31   [ 5 ignored ]   Visited by: 255 users
13.05.2013 - 03:17
Draven Edge

Cool idea, let's get back to where it all started. Here's a couple
Samael; Worship Him
Rotting Christ; Satanas Tedeum
13.05.2013 - 06:13
Maco
Pvt Funderground
How about mantas and possessed for death metal?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
13.05.2013 - 12:57
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Draven Edge on 13.05.2013 at 03:17

Cool idea, let's get back to where it all started. Here's a couple
Samael; Worship Him
Rotting Christ; Satanas Tedeum

although i would agree if you suggested Merciful Fate ,i am not really sure that Samael and Rothing Christ were a pert of first wave...i will do a little research on that one...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.05.2013 - 13:04
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Maco on 13.05.2013 at 06:13

Possessed were indeed an influence to to many Second Wave bands but they are part of death metal originators.
Mantas? you mean Death? well same as for Possessed ... they were an influence to many bands but a part of death metal originators.
I am not that familiar with early death metal to make similar list btw.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.05.2013 - 15:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I dsiagree with putting Slayer in there, they weren't considered first wave at all, just thrash they were considered as. Just like Possessed and Mantas being influential but not part of the first wave of bm. Btw I am missing a huge influential first wave BM band in your list and that's Mercyful Fate, either be it their self-titled e.p. or Melissa.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2013 - 15:41
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2013 at 15:24

I dsiagree with putting Slayer in there, they weren't considered first wave at all, just thrash they were considered as. Just like Possessed and Mantas being influential but not part of the first wave of bm. Btw I am missing a huge influential first wave BM band in your list and that's Mercyful Fate, either be it their self-titled e.p. or Melissa.

i simply forgot to add Merciful Fate in the list (mostly because i really doent listen to them a lot ) but i will edit this list as soon as i get some spare time...
About Slayer .... well like i said they are not the part of First Wave but i think that Show No Mercy has a lot in common with First Wave releases .In fact if you listen to Bathory's debut you will hear a lot of Slayer there.I think that both bands were influenced by same stuff at the time and ended up with similar material.The only difference ,in what i hear ,is that Bathory had worst production and inhuman vocals,the rest of both records is pretty much the same.I simply put it there because it has stylistic similarities to First Wave releases and to anyone who is new to the First Wave (youngsters that start listening to music) i think its good to listen this record too(to get some perspective).Otherwise i would agree with you.
----
13.05.2013 - 15:50
ANGEL REAPER

There ... i added Mercyful Fate
----
13.05.2013 - 22:06
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.05.2013 at 15:50

But no "Don't Break the Oath?"
I also recommend early Sodom and I.N.R.I. by Sargofago.
13.05.2013 - 22:15
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 13.05.2013 at 22:06

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.05.2013 at 15:50

But no "Don't Break the Oath?"
I also recommend early Sodom and I.N.R.I. by Sargofago.

like i said im not that familiar with Fate.But if you say so i will trust you and add it.
and ...I.N.R.I is here...
Sodom? hmm dunno about them (not a fan) but i will check them out to see if they fits in.
----
20.05.2013 - 23:34
Sirius

Flames of Hell
Early Destruction
Exorcist
NME
Poison(GER)
Slaughter Lord
Tormentor(Hun)
Treblinka
Vulcano
20.05.2013 - 23:47
Vombatus
Potorro
^that, plus Master's Hammer, Mortuary Drape and probably Root too.
21.05.2013 - 03:29
ANGEL REAPER

Btw did you guys also watched "Fenriz's Black Metal University " ...cause all of those releases you mentioned are in fact mentioned there .... i agree on the suggestions ... i will update list soon ...just to gather more info on the releases ...
----
25.05.2013 - 03:55
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Did you forget Celtic Frost''s Emperor's Return, or are you including it as part of Mobid Tales?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
25.05.2013 - 16:39
ANGEL REAPER

Written by M C Vice on 25.05.2013 at 03:55

Did you forget Celtic Frost''s Emperor's Return, or are you including it as part of Mobid Tales?

I included it with Morbid Tales? did i done wrong?
----
26.05.2013 - 03:24
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.05.2013 at 16:39

I was just wondering, cause you had other eps here, but not Emperor's Return, and if you're counting it as being part of Morbid Tales, as newer releases of Morbid Tales includes Emperor's Return (like the Helloween ep is now included with Walls OF Jerecho).
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.05.2013 - 19:56
ANGEL REAPER

Written by M C Vice on 26.05.2013 at 03:24

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 25.05.2013 at 16:39

I was just wondering, cause you had other eps here, but not Emperor's Return, and if you're counting it as being part of Morbid Tales, as newer releases of Morbid Tales includes Emperor's Return (like the Helloween ep is now included with Walls OF Jerecho).

well i think that i might add it to the list...

as of other mentioned bands: i'm working on it..soon i will update this list...
----
09.09.2013 - 12:38
D. Monique

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.05.2013 at 13:04

Possessed were indeed an influence to to many Second Wave bands but they are part of death metal originators.

I agree with that but back in the mid eighties they were often labeled as black metal band (probably because of the lyrics on their first album).
I like your list but maybe you should consider adding the following albums:

Venom - At War With Satan 1983
Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil [EP] 1984
Onslaught - Power From Hell 1985
Exorcist - Nightmare Theatre 1985
Bathory - Blood Fire Death 1988
Tormentor - Anno Domini 1988
Törr - Armageddon 1990
Root - Zjevení (The Revelation) 1990
Master's Hammer - Ritual 1991

The last three bands also released many demos throughout the eighties (by the way, a new compilation of all Master's Hammer's demos has been released http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=72766&band_id=&bandname=Master%26%23039%3Bs+Hammer ).
09.09.2013 - 12:49
ANGEL REAPER

Written by D. Monique on 09.09.2013 at 12:38

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 13.05.2013 at 13:04

I agree with that but back in the mid eighties they were often labeled as black metal band (probably because of the lyrics on their first album).
I like your list but maybe you should consider adding the following albums:

Venom - At War With Satan 1983
Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil [EP] 1984
Onslaught - Power From Hell 1985
Exorcist - Nightmare Theatre 1985
Bathory - Blood Fire Death 1988
Tormentor - Anno Domini 1988
Törr - Armageddon 1990
Root - Zjevení (The Revelation) 1990
Master's Hammer - Ritual 1991

The last three bands also released many demos throughout the eighties (by the way, a new compilation of all Master's Hammer's demos has been released http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=72766&band_id=&bandname=Master%26%23039%3Bs+Hammer ).

i agree with your sugesstions and the suggestions mentioned by others before just i havent gotten time to complete this list ...
however i would exclude
-Venom - At war with Satan cause it is pure NWHOBM/Speed metal with one track containing fairly BM lyrics
-Bathory- Blood Fire Death -its still BM record but the overall style ind the fact that is released in 89 puts it more in Second wave than first
-Possessed -seven Churches -maybe ,ill look into it .
Anyway thanks for suggestions.
----
09.09.2013 - 13:23
ANGEL REAPER

Written by angel. on 09.09.2013 at 13:17

You missed Dissection I guess :/

Dissection are great band but they are part of the Second Wave
----
09.09.2013 - 13:29
ANGEL REAPER

Written by angel. on 09.09.2013 at 13:25

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2013 at 13:23

Written by angel. on 09.09.2013 at 13:17

You missed Dissection I guess :/

Dissection are great band but they are part of the Second Wave

I knew that myself I just wanted to examine your knowledge of BM waves

i knew you were just examining my knowledge of BM when i think of it ,i should write a book in it ...
----
09.09.2013 - 13:58
D. Monique

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2013 at 12:49

...however i would exclude
-Venom - At war with Satan cause it is pure NWHOBM/Speed metal with one track containing fairly BM lyrics
-Bathory- Blood Fire Death -its still BM record but the overall style ind the fact that is released in 89 puts it more in Second wave than first

It's OK if you want to exclude some albums - it's your list after all.
I agree that At war with Satan isn't typical old school black metal album but I wouldn't call it NWHOBM or speed metal. It's still much closer to black metal than e.g. Mercyful Fate.
Some songs on Blood Fire Death are closer to viking metal than black metal but I think that it still belongs to the first wave of BM. It's debatable when the second wave actually started. It looks like Sarcofago, Root, Master's Hammer, Acheron or Samael fall somewhere between those two waves.
By the way, early albums and EPs of many old thrash metal bands were also sometimes labeled black metal (e.g. Possessed, Onslaught, Sepultura, Sodom, Bulldozer, Carnivore, Voivod or even Kreator). The term "black metal" was often used to describe any extreme metal band with satanic or occult lyrics and image (e.g. Mercyful Fate which actually played almost pure heavy metal).
09.09.2013 - 14:07
ANGEL REAPER

Written by D. Monique on 09.09.2013 at 13:58

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2013 at 12:49

...however i would exclude

It's OK if you want to exclude some albums - it's your list after all.
I agree that At war with Satan isn't typical old school black metal album but I wouldn't call it NWHOBM or speed metal. It's still much closer to black metal than e.g. Mercyful Fate.
Some songs on Blood Fire Death are closer to viking metal than black metal but I think that it still belongs to the first wave of BM. It's debatable when the second wave actually started. It looks like Sarcofago, Root, Master's Hammer, Acheron or Samael fall somewhere between those two waves.
By the way, early albums and EPs of many old thrash metal bands were also sometimes labeled black metal (e.g. Possessed, Onslaught, Sepultura, Sodom, Bulldozer, Carnivore, Voivod or even Kreator). The term "black metal" was often used to describe any extreme metal band with satanic or occult lyrics and image (e.g. Mercyful Fate which actually played almost pure heavy metal).

no problem ,like i said some bands with releases are indeed problem to left in or left out of the list.Foe example Marcel criticized my choicer of putting Slayers debut here but the material there was so influential and somewhat similar to later releases (especially Bathory) that i had to include it.
I am of thought that First Wave ended by 89 cause all of its bands changed their FWBM sound till that year or ceased releasing/existing .Also at that point onward a lot of younger bands (especially Mayhem as the oldest example) will make demos/live tapes with new sound on it.But if you want to be technical then Darkthrone's A Blaze In Northern s
Sky marks the start of the Second Wave.So the gap is not 2 but 5 years(87-92).
----
09.09.2013 - 14:10
ANGEL REAPER

Written by angel. on 09.09.2013 at 14:01

So why no Darkthrone ? :/

Second Wave also First album with black metal on it was A Blaze in Northern Sky released in 92.The style and the approach to music of that release is Second Wave BM.
But i am sure you were just examining my knowledge again
----
09.09.2013 - 14:24
D. Monique

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2013 at 14:07

So the gap is not 2 but 5 years(87-92).

Exactly. As I mentioned before, Sarcofago, Root, Master's Hammer, Tormentor and Samael released their black metal albums during this gap (most of these bands changed their style later).
09.09.2013 - 14:46
D. Monique

I forgot to mention two japanese bands which were heavily influenced by Venom: Sabbat and Sacrifice - they also fit somewhere between the "waves".
09.09.2013 - 14:48
ANGEL REAPER

Written by D. Monique on 09.09.2013 at 14:46

I forgot to mention two japanese bands which were heavily influenced by Venom: Sabbat and Sacrifice - they also fit somewhere between the "waves".

wasn't the Sabbat band on Euronymous' DSP label?
----
09.09.2013 - 14:53
ANGEL REAPER

Written by angel. on 09.09.2013 at 14:51

ok you passed the exam

hooray! what did i got?
----
09.09.2013 - 15:04
ANGEL REAPER

Written by angel. on 09.09.2013 at 14:57

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2013 at 14:53

hooray! what did i got?

an A plus score, you might get an admission from Fenriz to study with him

neat! i always liked the first hand experiences
----
09.09.2013 - 16:58
D. Monique

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2013 at 14:07

... if you want to be technical then Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky marks the start of the Second Wave.

I agree that this album started the second wave. Nevertheless, I remember that Fenriz once called Master's Hammer's Ritual (1991) "the first Norwegian black metal album, even though they are from Czechoslovakia". Emperor also named this band among their major influences.

Regarding Sabbat, I'm not very familiar with their discography, I only know that most of their albums have been released by some really obscure labels.
12.09.2013 - 17:41
Aristarchos

Necrodeath

Hits total: 17553 | This month: 27