Metal Storm logo
Graveworm

Original post

Posted by Thryce, 19.05.2006 - 23:05
Here's the new thread for these Gothic/ (Melodic) Black Metallers from Italy.

I am a very big fan of theirs and I have all their releases so far. My favourite album is 'As The Angels Reach The Beauty'.

You can find a music video of 'Awaiting The Shining' here
And a video of their so far latest single 'I-The Machine' can be found here

Still looking forward to see them live some day.

All current Graveworm tour dates can be found at the band's website http://www.graveworm.de

23.09.2006 - 02:31
Winter Death
Account deleted
^^^ That album rocks. [n]utopia was only so so in my opinion.
23.09.2006 - 20:31
Bengans
Account deleted
(n)utopia is the only album i've heard from this band. But it was really good. Great vocals and atmosphere in this album. 'I-The Machine' is my favourite song with Graveworm for now.
25.09.2006 - 11:25
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Written by Guest on 23.09.2006 at 20:31

(n)utopia is the only album i've heard from this band. But it was really good. Great vocals and atmosphere in this album. 'I-The Machine' is my favourite song with Graveworm for now.

You should definitely also check out "As The Angels Reach The Beauty" and "Scourge Of Malice". I promise you won't be disappointed to get to know this great band better!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
19.11.2006 - 13:25
Mariela.
Account deleted
I really like this band, even though I haven't listened at any of their cds in a while..But perhaps I should search one up and listen to it, because when I saw this thread I just got a feeling for that..Their music is dark and makes me sad, and on a rainy day like this it's the perfect musik for that! =)
20.11.2006 - 00:57
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I saw these guys not too long ago, they were fucking great.
21.11.2006 - 06:04
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
I agree with Thryce on this one, "As The Angels Reach The Beauty" is an awesome disc, perhaps one of the best examples of the gothic/black hybridization I've come across. The first track is one of my favorite metal beginnings I've yet to hear Scourge of Malice - the only disc I don't have of theirs. I'll have to check it out if it's anywhere as comparible to As The Angels.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
21.11.2006 - 19:29
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Written by Jason W. on 21.11.2006 at 06:04

I agree with Thryce on this one, "As The Angels Reach The Beauty" is an awesome disc, perhaps one of the best examples of the gothic/black hybridization I've come across. The first track is one of my favorite metal beginnings I've yet to hear Scourge of Malice - the only disc I don't have of theirs. I'll have to check it out if it's anywhere as comparible to As The Angels.

Well, for me "Scourge Of Malice" is Graveworm's second best album, so I would surely recommend it to you too! Songs are pretty much in the same line as ATARTB, and thus, they all have pretty much the typical Graveworm sound.
Scourge also contains one of my favourite Graveworm songs, namely "Demonic Dreams". Also the opener "Unhallowed By The Infernal One" is a kick-ass song. It also has the beautiful instrumental "Threnody", which is for the most an acoustic guitar song with a blasting ending.
And last but not least, Scourge Of Malice is also the album where the magnificant "Fear Of The Dark" cover can be found. If you like the violins on ATARTB, well you gotta love this song!

I would say go for it and try it out, I don't think you will be disappointed!
----
05.01.2007 - 08:02
Emily
Account deleted
I love this band...
05.01.2007 - 08:40
Emily
Account deleted
Oh yeah, and they are going in the studio soon to make a new album
27.05.2007 - 21:11
Grey_Dandelion
i ve only recently discovered them-its a very interesting band but their last albums luck the atmosphere of the first ones..especially the last(the new one) is an average disk i think!where are the masterpieces of scourge of malice and as the angels reach their beauty???
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
27.05.2007 - 21:13
Grey_Dandelion
Written by Guest on 24.05.2006 at 09:00

I'm listening to "Engraved In Black" right now, pretty good shit. It's one of the Sympho Black bands I like the most, they're not over-bombastic, all the vocals are awesome and they create beautiful atmospheres... two thumbs up.

i agree totally!!!
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
29.05.2007 - 14:49
Wo0dy
Account deleted
Engraved in Black is good fucking shit, really melodic stuff on that cd
29.05.2007 - 23:11
Torelli
Hm, a new album has recently came out and no one is discussing it!? Personal I think the album is great. As usual Graveworm have a weird taste for covers, but the Bonnie Tyler cover actually worked out quite well! The best song on the album would deffently be "Suicide Code", melodic metal as it's finest. The closing song is very good too, a very nice instrumental piece.
04.06.2007 - 09:53
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Well, my thoughts on the new CD are a bit mixed. While I find it a well crafted disc, and find that the tracks are all just as good as the next (except the lame intro), I still miss something. I continue to yearn for the depth of emotion and beauty they showed on their releases up until 2003 that the atmospheric elements provided. It's songs like "A Dreaming Beauty" or "Descending Into Ethereal Mist" are what I'm referring to.

The direction Graveworm started on their "N-Utopia" CD in 2005 seems like it's replacing atmosphere and brooding emotion with a more accessible, heavier direction mixed with their extreme gothic / melodic black sound. I'd say they are better positioning themselves for even a melodic death crowd with their new CD, since it would come off as different and unique if you put it in that perspective, but when it comes to their "gothic" roots, it's weak and distant. I guess it's one's perception that will determine what your opinion is of the new CD. But my personal tastes are what has kept me from having much interest in the new CD on a personal level
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
06.07.2007 - 18:25
Account deleted
I think the reason Graveworm started sounding very mediocre is because their old guitar player that wrote most of the songs decided to leave the band. They tried very unsuccessfully to replace him. As The Angels Reach The Beauty, Scourge Of Malice, and Engraved In Black will always be the true Graveworm for me. [N]Utopia was not that great, but the new CD Collateral Defect is a step in the right direction, but away from their original Graveworm sound.
07.07.2007 - 11:03
Grey_Dandelion
well i think Collateral Defect is in the wrong direction...their music seems somehow tastless and all the songs seem much the same..i hope they wont follow this road in the future
----
09.07.2007 - 00:35
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Written by Grey_Dandelion on 07.07.2007 at 11:03

well i think Collateral Defect is in the wrong direction...their music seems somehow tastless and all the songs seem much the same..i hope they wont follow this road in the future

I agree, I miss the guitarwork found in the work previous to 2005. It just feels empty, despite the continued great unique vocals of Fiori. I don't think the new CD is bad, but it's music I can easily ignore... very few parts seem to stand out, and there is not one epic moment in the songs... The songs definitely sound all the same! I get this feeling the band can't figure out how to evolve, and what to evolve into. They seem mired in this middle ground that just makes me put something else in the CD player.
----
11.10.2007 - 17:52
Nefarious
Doom Knight
staff
I was a little disappointed with Collateral Defect too. It just doesnt stand up well when compared to 'As The Angels Reach The Beauty' & 'Scourge Of Malice'. Those two albums are pure masterpieces.

Actually it was after hearing a song from 'As The Angels Reach The Beauty' all those years ago that made me search the net for more information on the band & as a result i stumbled across Metalstorm haha.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
13.10.2007 - 23:59
Mustis
Account deleted
i love graveworm, i knew them for the song Fear of the dark (iron maiden cover) i was excited with that song so i started to download more songs, this band is awesome
04.12.2007 - 23:38
Olli
Got their "Engraved In Black" cd about a week ago and have been hooked, great album! Dunno what one to get next..
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
05.12.2007 - 21:27
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Written by Olli on 04.12.2007 at 23:38

Dunno what one to get next..

I'd recommend "As The Angels Reach The Beauty" and "Scourge Of Malice" the most.
----
05.12.2007 - 23:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Thryce on 05.12.2007 at 21:27

Written by Olli on 04.12.2007 at 23:38

Dunno what one to get next..

I'd recommend "As The Angels Reach The Beauty" and "Scourge Of Malice" the most.

IMO those are only albums what are good, listeneble, I never realy liked Collateral Defect
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.12.2007 - 22:23
InnerSelf
proofread free
i dont understand why every one was shoked with collateral defect i think its one of thier greatest albums.however,compared to thier old ones its not much of a hit

anyway they are great
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
22.12.2007 - 19:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
I like the new album, it's catchy as hell.
----
23.12.2007 - 03:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by InnerSelf on 21.12.2007 at 22:23

i dont understand why every one was shoked with collateral defect i think its one of thier greatest albums.however,compared to thier old ones its not much of a hit

anyway they are great

Because its not so good like others thay lost them stle into this album, but it isnt such bad like some other band new albums
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.02.2008 - 18:55
NOИ
I like them, they're playing the usual gothic / melodic black metal style with success! but they cannot evolve into something new, unfortunately for us...
22.08.2009 - 07:36
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Never been a fan of this band, thou I really liked ''As the angels reach their beauty''. But the last album kinda sucked, I was hoping for something more melodic, but it ended up too much heavy (compared to what I was expecting). It is just too easy to lose the focus on the music, almost with no soul this album. The Police cover sounded very weird also...

Hell's Creation by far the best song. Wonderful keyboards and the most ''epic'' in the work.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.08.2009 - 13:07
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
After the rather disappointing "(N)utopia" and the atrocity that is "Collateral Defect", I didn't even bother to listen to "Diabolical Figures" yet. If it's anything remotely in the same vein, I don't think I care either.

So how is it? Any more comments?
----
22.08.2009 - 16:39
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Huh, I totally forgot about trying to get ahold of a retail version of the band's new album. The tracks I've heard were empty, and heavy without any excitement or compelling ideas. My expectations, though, were low to begin with so I no emotional investment this time around. I guess it shows how little the new songs affected me if I didn't even put it on my mental list of CDs to find But saying that, I'm going to look for one and at least give it a thorough listen.
----
26.08.2009 - 04:36
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Okay, had a listen to the lastest album, and.... nope, it's not so interesting to me again. However, I do think it's better than their previous effort, like a 7 this time, instead of 6. I found that tracks 2-4 were more interesting, but the only thing really that sticks in my head after 2 full listens is the overly forceful vocal growls between verses and the monotone vocal melodies. Guitarwork is good while listening but can I recall anything? Not really.

The cover of "Message In A Bottle" and how they converted it to their style sums up my opinion on the band, really: forced attempts at heaviness while stripping away any sense of atmosphere that made them interesting in their 2nd-4th albums.
----