Metal Storm logo
Nachtmystium USBM

Original post

Posted by Dead Ohlin, 17.12.2006 - 20:54
One of the most hailed US Black Metal and
One of the most powerfull hordes of the American scene
is without a doubt 'Nachtmystium'.

Azentrius (vocals / guitar / bass), Noctis (drums)

Discography:
2006 Instinct: Decay CD
2005 Visual Propaganda: Live from the Pulpits of Damnation DVD
2005 Nachtmystium mCD
2004 The First Attacks (Demos 2000-2001) CD
2004 Reign of the Malicious Cassette
2004 Demise CD
2004 Eulogy IV LP
2004 Reign of the Malicious / Nachtmystium CD
2003 Nachtmystium mCD
2002 Reign of the Malicious CD
2002 Demise
10.11.2014 - 06:40
Rasputin

Written by Karlabos on 09.11.2014 at 05:32

"Burzum's last decent album was Fallen and Belus in my opinion, what he did afterwords is a mindfuck."

"Deathspell Omega is overrated"

"I said it before and I will say it again, for BM to stop being a joke it needs to rethink everything, and create something new"

"because making another Bathory/Dark Throne/Mayhem XYZ band is not really cutting it anymore. "

"And please, no more corpsepaint and inverted crucifixes, it is as as scary as Kiss and as stupid as ICP. "

Each of these sentences are so... I don't even have comments.
Have you ever heard of 3rd wave of black metal by any chance?

Judas Iscariot, Ildjarn, Mutiilation, Averse Sefira and stuff like that? Vreid? Drudh, Belphegor, Dark Fortress? Stallagh? Blut Aus Nord? Shade Empire or that piece of crap Keep of Kalessin?
10.11.2014 - 14:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Rasputin on 10.11.2014 at 06:18

Please do great sage enlighten me on these great bands you are talking about, since you are right, I guess I must've missed the last 8 years of metal. Also, my argument was directed at the Scandinavian scene. What is BM, please tell me, I'm dying to know.

At the express risk of running into some wry sarcasm and commentary from your good self I won't spend too much time on the specifics, rather I'll just run off a list of bands that might be considered relevant, have gained some measure of recognition and tend to avoid the black metal stereotypes and tropes of old.

Oranssi Pazuzu, A Forest of Stars, Murmuüre, Cult of Fire, Arizmenda, Botanist, Infestus, Cloak of Altering, The Great Old Ones, Wormlust, Hail Spirit Noir, De Magia Veterum, The Meads of Asphodel, Dordeduh, Lychgate, Reverence, Cobalt, Netra, Verdunkeln, Panopticon, Brown Jenkins, Elysian Blaze, Rudra, Smohalla, Negative Plane, Aosoth, Code, Carpe Noctem, Agrypnie, Transcending Bizarre?, Plebeian Grandstand, The Secret. And so on, as well as a few things I don't like which are inarguably modern or fit the profile: Krallice, Gris, Altar Of Plagues, Mgła, Glorior Belli, Woods of Desolation, Deafheaven etc.

Even the likes of Mayhem, Blut aus Nord, Darkspace, Sigh, Enslaved etc. are still perfectly relevant too.
10.11.2014 - 15:39
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I wonder how someone can listen to Blut Aus Nord and state that there's nothing new on the black metal scene.
It's like that saying "The worst blind is the one who doesn't want to see" =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.11.2014 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Karlabos on 10.11.2014 at 15:39

I wonder how someone can listen to Blut Aus Nord and state that there's nothing new on the black metal scene.
It's like that saying "The worst blind is the one who doesn't want to see" =P

If he listens to MVI, MVII, MVIII he is right. But not when it comes to their other stuff.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2014 - 16:33
Rasputin

Written by Guest on 10.11.2014 at 14:10

Written by Rasputin on 10.11.2014 at 06:18

Please do great sage enlighten me on these great bands you are talking about, since you are right, I guess I must've missed the last 8 years of metal. Also, my argument was directed at the Scandinavian scene. What is BM, please tell me, I'm dying to know.

At the express risk of running into some wry sarcasm and commentary from your good self I won't spend too much time on the specifics, rather I'll just run off a list of bands that might be considered relevant, have gained some measure of recognition and tend to avoid the black metal stereotypes and tropes of old.

Oranssi Pazuzu, A Forest of Stars, Murmuüre, Cult of Fire, Arizmenda, Botanist, Infestus, Cloak of Altering, The Great Old Ones, Wormlust, Hail Spirit Noir, De Magia Veterum, The Meads of Asphodel, Dordeduh, Lychgate, Reverence, Cobalt, Netra, Verdunkeln, Panopticon, Brown Jenkins, Elysian Blaze, Rudra, Smohalla, Negative Plane, Aosoth, Code, Carpe Noctem, Agrypnie, Transcending Bizarre?, Plebeian Grandstand, The Secret. And so on, as well as a few things I don't like which are inarguably modern or fit the profile: Krallice, Gris, Altar Of Plagues, Mgła, Glorior Belli, Woods of Desolation, Deafheaven etc.

Even the likes of Mayhem, Blut aus Nord, Darkspace, Sigh, Enslaved etc. are still perfectly relevant too.

Excellent work

You got anymore Psychodelic Black/Doom, maybe some more atmospheric stuff. A Forest of Stars, the vocalist reminds me of Tom Waits, Kind of cool.
10.11.2014 - 17:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Rasputin on 10.11.2014 at 16:33

Excellent work

You got anymore Psychodelic Black/Doom, maybe some more atmospheric stuff. A Forest of Stars, the vocalist reminds me of Tom Waits, Kind of cool.

I recently compiled a list of psychedelic, and psychedelic-like stuff: http://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=3810

There's probably some blackened doomy stuff in there somewhere, and a bunch probably falls under atmospheric music too.
10.11.2014 - 19:42
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.11.2014 at 14:10

how do people not know of half of these bands after eight years?
10.11.2014 - 20:45
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guest on 10.11.2014 at 19:42

I guess that if you make no effort in checking out new bands, the existance of ones mentioned above can easily be ignored.
I even know a couple of avid veteran metal fans that wouldn't be able to recognise half of those, though probably coz they aren't heavily into BM stuff.
11.11.2014 - 17:44
Rasputin

Written by Vombatus on 10.11.2014 at 20:45

Written by Guest on 10.11.2014 at 19:42

I guess that if you make no effort in checking out new bands, the existance of ones mentioned above can easily be ignored.
I even know a couple of avid veteran metal fans that wouldn't be able to recognise half of those, though probably coz they aren't heavily into BM stuff.

Out of that list, I recognized some, and some are quite good, but the thing is, my initial post was reflecting the Scandinavian scene, not the whole BM scene (although there were few bands that were out of that range but oh well). The other thing is, that you are right, I shared the list with some of my friends, and they were even WTF? Which is funny, because in this day and age, when we have internet, there are bands that are still underground.

As far as the list goes, one thing I did notice is that a lot of the bands go for that whole album approach to appreciate the music, instead of individual song by song. So if I listen track 4, it would make very little sense without 3 and 5. Reminds me of Moonsorrow for some reason.
11.11.2014 - 17:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Back to NM or how much a big jerk Blake is, please.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!