Metal Storm logo
Nachtmystium USBM

Original post

Posted by Dead Ohlin, 17.12.2006 - 20:54
One of the most hailed US Black Metal and
One of the most powerfull hordes of the American scene
is without a doubt 'Nachtmystium'.

Azentrius (vocals / guitar / bass), Noctis (drums)

Discography:
2006 Instinct: Decay CD
2005 Visual Propaganda: Live from the Pulpits of Damnation DVD
2005 Nachtmystium mCD
2004 The First Attacks (Demos 2000-2001) CD
2004 Reign of the Malicious Cassette
2004 Demise CD
2004 Eulogy IV LP
2004 Reign of the Malicious / Nachtmystium CD
2003 Nachtmystium mCD
2002 Reign of the Malicious CD
2002 Demise
27.05.2009 - 12:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.05.2009 at 11:39

I heard the album "Assassins..". I like it very much. Do you know similar albums from other bands with same style?

Their new EP, I forget what it's called, is in the same style.
14.12.2009 - 01:31
Detric
King Of Twilight
I think Instinct is a masterpiece, but it seems like im the only who was disappointed with the Black Meddle record. Its like they tried to do a new Instinct, but failed. I dont know..I just never got into it... Instinct however is one of my fav metal records ever.
14.12.2009 - 01:32
Detric
King Of Twilight
By the way, any news on when part II will be released?
25.04.2010 - 08:16
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Stoked for Addicts. Sounds like it's going to be a trippy ride so whoever was digging their more experimental side, get ready for it to be turned up an extra notch.

2010's looking bright amigos.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
25.04.2010 - 23:22
The Turbanator
I think they get boring after a few listens.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
25.04.2010 - 23:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 25.04.2010 at 23:22

Did you try the Instinct: Decay album? It's totally different to Assassins and about 58654500 times better (in my opinion)
26.04.2010 - 18:32
The Turbanator
Written by Guest on 25.04.2010 at 23:29

Did you try the Instinct: Decay album? It's totally different to Assassins and about 58654500 times better (in my opinion)

Yeah actually I only heard Assassins. Not fair for me to judge them from one album, I know. I'll get Instinct : Decay and give it a listen. I'm really hoping this will not be as bad as Assassins.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
26.04.2010 - 18:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 26.04.2010 at 18:32

Written by Guest on 25.04.2010 at 23:29

Yeah actually I only heard Assassins. Not fair for me to judge them from one album, I know. I'll get Instinct : Decay and give it a listen. I'm really hoping this will not be as bad as Assassins.

Nah, it's so different it may as well be by a different band. One of all time fave albums actually.
27.04.2010 - 05:00
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
So a shift back towards the present leaving Assassins and Instinct:Decay behind, what do you all think of the new song ? Sounds promising to me and it's clearly an indicator that they are diving into something maybe even more versatile than on the previous album. Should be good.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
27.04.2010 - 11:53
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Visioneerie on 25.04.2010 at 08:16

Indeed, it is looking bright..a bit too bright and not so, "grim". With that new track it sounds like they're one step closer to being shoegaze with raspy vocals. In fact, the keys on that track very much remind me of a band a few of my US friends are in, which is full blown shoegaze/post-punk. I actually enjoyed the majority of Assassins. Sure, here and there it seemed kind of poppy with some clichè lyrics but, it wasn't bad, I especially enjoyed the instrumental track with the sax - sax or sax like synth, it worked for Carpathian Forest on "Cold Murderous Music" and, it worked for Nachtmystium.

Not diggin this new track though.
28.04.2010 - 01:07
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Bitter Dawn on 27.04.2010 at 11:53

Written by Visioneerie on 25.04.2010 at 08:16

Indeed, it is looking bright..a bit too bright and not so, "grim". With that new track it sounds like they're one step closer to being shoegaze with raspy vocals. In fact, the keys on that track very much remind me of a band a few of my US friends are in, which is full blown shoegaze/post-punk. I actually enjoyed the majority of Assassins. Sure, here and there it seemed kind of poppy with some clichè lyrics but, it wasn't bad, I especially enjoyed the instrumental track with the sax - sax or sax like synth, it worked for Carpathian Forest on "Cold Murderous Music" and, it worked for Nachtmystium.

Not diggin this new track though.

Judging from your tastes I can see why you're not so fond of the new track.

On another note, I'm assuming that this new song takes some inspiration from Killing Joke ? Haven't listened to much of their stuff but I get that impression.
----
30.04.2010 - 06:07
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Very cool and interesting interview with Blake Judd. This guy seems like someone you'd want to sit down and have a beer with, very modest.

Part 1 : http://video.bunch.tv/services/player/bcpid73908954001?bctid=80138207001
Part 2 : http://video.bunch.tv/services/player/bcpid73908954001?bctid=80148289001
----
30.04.2010 - 08:23
spirit_inblack
harshhead
New song bored me, but if your interested in reading about it, the review of the album at stonerrock.com is detailed, and the reviewer is pretty nuts about the new album.

http://www.stonerrock.com/forums2/allposts.asp?summary=1&Forum=ap809241559&ID=49260&access=2&status=1&StartAt=0&subject=Nachtmystium+-+Addicts%3A+Black+Meddle+Part+II
08.06.2010 - 18:59
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Has anyone heard the new album yet ? I'm debating on whether to order it or not. I need some good unbiased criticism here.
----
06.07.2012 - 01:47
BlueMobius
Account deleted
06.07.2012 - 05:38
Waniyetu
Written by Guest on 06.07.2012 at 01:47

Another new track is from the upcoming album is online: http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/07/05/new-nachtmystium-song-decimates-and-annihilates-your-eardrums/

It sounds awesome; definitely one of the best and most courageous USBM bands around.
06.07.2012 - 22:52
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Seems Sanford Parker, formerly integral to Minsk, and involved in the production of recent Nachtmystium albums has been given a full-time keyboard position in the band.

that screams ZOMGWTFBBQAWESOME! to me...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.07.2012 - 02:32
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2012 at 22:52

Seems Sanford Parker, formerly integral to Minsk, and involved in the production of recent Nachtmystium albums has been given a full-time keyboard position in the band.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. The three songs so far have been really promising and I'm enjoying the keyboard elements.
07.07.2012 - 02:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 07.07.2012 at 02:32

Written by BitterCOld on 06.07.2012 at 22:52

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. The three songs so far have been really promising and I'm enjoying the keyboard elements.

i'm just waiting for the album so i can consume all at once. i know Sanford was instrumental in the first Assassins based upon the recording/making of video, particularly in the more bizarre end of effects, including the piece they referred to as the "Mothership".

and Minsk was awesome. i cannot overstate that point, as it seems so few have checked them out.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.07.2012 - 02:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 07.07.2012 at 02:36

and Minsk was awesome. i cannot overstate that point, as it seems so few have checked them out.

Finally checked "With Echoes In The Movement Of Stone" out but sadly it didn't leave me as amazed as I hoped. mid to strong 7. The vocals were probably the weakest part. It was a month ago or so... Will probably try another time since it feels like it could be a grower.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.07.2012 - 03:13
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.07.2012 at 02:54

Written by BitterCOld on 07.07.2012 at 02:36

Finally checked "With Echoes In The Movement Of Stone" out but sadly it didn't leave me as amazed as I hoped. mid to strong 7. The vocals were probably the weakest part. It was a month ago or so... Will probably try another time since it feels like it could be a grower.

Not the awesomest stuff I know, but still bloody damn good. Beware, it's a grower
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.07.2012 - 03:42
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 26.04.2010 at 18:39

Nah, it's so different it may as well be by a different band. One of all time fave albums actually.

How do they differ? I'll definitely pick it up, but I'd like to know since, like The Turbanator, Assassins got really boring after a few listens.
EDIT: Silencing Machine is fucking amazing.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
23.09.2012 - 19:31
spirit_inblack
harshhead
New album is rather 'meh' to me after five listens. Probably my least favorite since before the I:D days (I quite like Assassins and Addicts). The majority of people seem to be loving it, so maybe I need to throw it on the stereo rather than headphones. Maybe it's more meant for that type of format. To me, it seems like there's really not that much going on in the songs, when I expected more effects and such. Hopefully it clicks, because I really want to like the album.
23.09.2012 - 21:26
Oaken
Hipster
Written by spirit_inblack on 23.09.2012 at 19:31

To me, it seems like there's really not that much going on in the songs, when I expected more effects and such. Hopefully it clicks, because I really want to like the album.

It actually introduces nothing new, but it's a hell of an atmospheric black metal album. Not original, but very high quality and done with finesse. Personally, I think that "The Lepers Of Destitution" is the best track on the album. Man it might even be my all-time favorite song
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
23.09.2012 - 21:58
BlueMobius
Account deleted

so maybe I need to throw it on the stereo rather than headphones. Maybe it's more meant for that type of format.

I think you should try that. I know a lot of people like to listen to music on headphones - I guess to get lost in their own personal bubble - but this album sounds really nice turned up on some good speakers. The title track is especially the most effective on a good pair of speakers. When the bass drops at the breakdown, it's so freaking heavy.
24.09.2012 - 03:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

New album is rather 'meh' to me after five listens. Probably my least favorite since before the I:D days (I quite like Assassins and Addicts). The majority of people seem to be loving it, so maybe I need to throw it on the stereo rather than headphones. Maybe it's more meant for that type of format. To me, it seems like there's really not that much going on in the songs, when I expected more effects and such. Hopefully it clicks, because I really want to like the album.

"Meh" is how I'd describe the new one. Then again I:D is the only album of theirs I've ever liked (and boy, do I like it).

Personally, I still think the new ones sounds like a vastly less interesting, but marginally more black metal version of Castevet.
24.09.2012 - 07:10
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I:D is the only one I love note-for-note, where everything was perfect:

- muddy-yet-atmospheric production
- their most relevant usage of effects (as in, not using effects for effects' sake like it seems they have been lately, because that's the niche they fit now)
- consistently killer riffs
- perfect vocals (they've never been as good Post-I:D)
- imaginative cover art
- fairly simple but superb drumming
- and, for the most part, concise song lengths

They've struggled on most of those points on the releases after I:D. I like Assassins and Addicts, but there are songs on them that do not fit in, and quite frankly, are quite a struggle to listen to. Not to mention, a few of them overstay their welcome (the song "Assassins" for example). I am very much a Chris Black fan, so perhaps that's why I enjoy that record (that and the drumming). I just wish they would have had a couple less instrumental tracks and a couple more blackened songs on Assassins.

Addicts is quite a different record, and, to me, is the more consistent of the two. There's at least a couple of enjoyable parts in every song, but again, some songs are too long.
28.01.2013 - 00:41
ajk70
Yep-Instinct:Decay is my favorite of theirs...also really like Demise.
03.08.2014 - 23:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlObtWZjnWQ

Visited the page due to Apothecary's review and Slayer666's comment. Read the first comment. Laughed.

"Blake Judd
3 days ago

Jeremy Littleton is a sad little nobody whos been butt hurt for years that i didnt want to be his buddy after creeping me out with his weirdo fanboy antics when Id met him at our gigs in the past. He likes to take hear-say from the internet and spread it around anywhere he can to try to get a rise out of me. Bottom line is this, for someone who ""hates me" as much as this sad excuse for a man does, he sure spends a lot of time.thinking about me and wasting his time talking about me. Carry on, Jeremy. Not a thing you've said here is true at all. Sure, I used heroin for a few years and it fucked my life up as it does anyone who uses it. Jef Whitehead from leviathan did it right along with me for a couple of those years, as did numerous other people involved in Nachtmystium in the past whom I respect enough not to name drop here...dont hear ya talking abouy any.of them. How about you get a life and do something productive instead.of making an ass of yourself online? You're a sorry sack of shit. Say what you will about me...despite my shortcomings in life, I've actually accomplished something and made things that matter in the world of music. You just sit on your computer talking shit in between jerking off, sleeping and going to a job you undoubtedly hate because you never had the balls to follow a dream and make something of yourself. So carry on, little man littleton. You will never matter."

And the most "liked" response:

"Except you took his money for merchandise and never sent it, much like hundreds of others. You just delete them from your fb and hide in the Millshire hoping the Latin kings don't come after you again. You're a fraud and a wimp who used to be great until your drug fantasy world make it so all of your old friends and supporters hate you. They hate you Blake,for someone as vain as you that has to hurt. Even the editor of stereogum got ripped off and wrote about it. Even your old band mates. You can put up a front to me and everyone but at the end of the day until you get that next rock you know you hate yourself because you've ruined every relationship you've ever had. No one really likes you, they just want what they can get from you before you overdose or someone kills you for theft. Keep up the bravado but you know deep down I'm right and your life is over. No one will miss you."

Shit gets serious on Youtube. Who knew.

On a related note, I don't think a lot of people truly understand what a drug addition (specifically an addiction to heroin) can really do to a person.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.08.2014 - 23:26
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah I went to the Youtube page as well. That Jeremy guy is seriously obsessed.