Metal Storm logo
Nachtmystium USBM

Original post

Posted by Dead Ohlin, 17.12.2006 - 20:54
One of the most hailed US Black Metal and
One of the most powerfull hordes of the American scene
is without a doubt 'Nachtmystium'.

Azentrius (vocals / guitar / bass), Noctis (drums)

Discography:
2006 Instinct: Decay CD
2005 Visual Propaganda: Live from the Pulpits of Damnation DVD
2005 Nachtmystium mCD
2004 The First Attacks (Demos 2000-2001) CD
2004 Reign of the Malicious Cassette
2004 Demise CD
2004 Eulogy IV LP
2004 Reign of the Malicious / Nachtmystium CD
2003 Nachtmystium mCD
2002 Reign of the Malicious CD
2002 Demise
13.09.2014 - 22:36
Symmachus

So, I'm just curious what type of legal consequences Blake can have for scamming. Now that he is outed as such and has done so to hundreds, maybe thousands of people, shouldn't he get arrested or something similar? This should not go without consequence.
15.09.2014 - 02:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Again, there's really nothing to suggest he's impoverished either. He seems to have enough cash to lend to junkie friends that he apparently doesn't need back, as well as record his own albums, and others etc. He has a steady job and a well known band. I'm not sure what Neill Jameson you're seeing but I don't think it's the same one that I am. Then again I don't see fat people or black metallers the same way you do either. By which I mean seeing groups in the form of generalised, reductive armchair psychology.
15.09.2014 - 03:37
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 15.09.2014 at 02:54

Again, there's really nothing to suggest he's impoverished either. He seems to have enough cash to lend to junkie friends that he apparently doesn't need back, as well as record his own albums, and others etc. He has a steady job and a well known band. I'm not sure what Neill Jameson you're seeing but I don't think it's the same one that I am. Then again I don't see fat people or black metallers the same way you do either. By which I mean seeing groups in the form of generalised, reductive armchair psychology.

Deadone just generalizes way too much.
15.09.2014 - 03:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 15.09.2014 at 03:37

Deadone just generalizes way too much.

Generalisations and extreme black and white examples and logic.
15.09.2014 - 05:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Alright guys, try to stay on topic. Say what you want about Judd and Nachtmystium, but avoid the personal remarks. If you want to talk about generalizations and whatnot then open a statistics thread.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.09.2014 - 12:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm perfectly fine with generalisations, they can be useful, but there's no skirting around the fact they're a poor substitute for genuine, nuanced insight, especially when your answer to everything is a generalisation. All a generalisation is is boiling a subset down to its most basic and broad interpretation. Apparently through extrapolation deadone seems to think he understands everything about everyone, from me (or my type rather), to famous black metal members, to fat people across the world, but we aren't talking about a large group of people without any specific facts, we're talking about an individual. As deadone says:

Quote:
We can sit here with 20-20 hindsight and no personal experience all we want, but the true situation is unknown.

Actually we're given reasonable amount of insight from Jameson to speculate off. To generally ignore this and blanketly "infer" the argument: "Oh, Jameson is mildly overweight, poor and in a black metal band means he's lacking in confidence in this situation, and in general" not only shows an unwillingness to engage in the topic at hand, but to once again fall back on limited (very limited in deadone's case as he's demonstrated) personal life experiences and vague extreme stereotypes in judging an individual. You can come across as an expert in statistics and demographics but as I've said dealing in false dichotomies, especially in situations like this with specific individuals, is a totally pointless and weak mode of discussion as it provides zero insight into the topic at hand. Discussion should be about balance, especially when judging human beings who can't defend themselves.

And to comment on the 50 dollar thing. I think a poor person is someone who worries about where their next meal is coming from, or whether or not they'll have a roof over their head in a month's time. Not someone who wonders if they'll be able to record their 7th studio album next week, or if they can afford that 6th flight / petrol guzzling road trip away from their job this year to get to that extra slot on the tour they're doing.
15.09.2014 - 22:09
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by deadone on 15.09.2014 at 05:51

On topic, Judd's a piece of shit that gives metal a bad name.

Yeah, because of this fiasco, I read in Us Weekly that all metal musicians, and most fans are thieving junkies.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.09.2014 - 06:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by deadone on 16.09.2014 at 02:21

Written by Doc G. on 15.09.2014 at 22:09

Yeah, because of this fiasco, I read in Us Weekly that all metal musicians, and most fans are thieving junkies.

Whoa that's fucked up. Metal doesn't need this kind of thing, especially in an era of increasing religious fundamentalism and conservatism in government (at least here in Australia).

I believe he was being sarcastic
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.09.2014 - 07:02
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
As far as Judd/Nachmystium is concerned...

It's really tough for me to get too far into this, have a lot of mixed emotions on the subject, especially having struggled with substances myself in the past. I've always loved the music Blake puts out, both under Nachtmystium and otherwise. Touchy-feely moment, Addicts is easily one of the albums most near and dear to my heart, and I've cried over Every Last Drop on more than one occasion. Judd I think is a very talented songwriter who reflects his turmoil in his music, so I can really relate and identify there, because I do as well. I didn't talk to him much, but the few times I did he was always nice and more than willing to respond to my questions about his creative process.

Then again, addicts are great liars, and can fool you the world over. The "he's hooked, he doesn't know what he's doing" argument is legitimate, but after a while it can only go so far. It's fucking complicated, because we'll never be inside the guy's head. I (and I'm sure others as well) just want to say "dude, get your shit together and seek out the help you need." But I can tell you from personal experience that it simply doesn't work that way. He'll get it when he's ready, or when he hits a hard enough brick wall (assuming death doesn't come first). I'll tell you, what Blake really needs is a good amount of time in the joint. Rehab is simply too easy (he's done it two or three times before), a more controlled environment behind bars would be much better to get him to come down from all the smack and take a good time to fully absorb the reality of all the people he's harmed.

The mental sickness of drug abuse is very real, and should never be underestimated. While some of Blake's actions absolutely infuriate me, I definitely feel for him, and I can only hope that in the (hopefully near) future he seeks out the help he needs and begins to make amends. Question is whether or not some people even want his amends at this point, but I suppose he'll cross that bridge when (and if) he comes to it.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
11.10.2014 - 02:52
Rasputin

USBM...what a joke.
11.10.2014 - 18:34
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Rasputin on 11.10.2014 at 02:52

USBM...what a joke.

Compared to Norwegian black metal?

11.10.2014 - 18:43
Rasputin

No about the same. BM is a joke in general.
11.10.2014 - 18:44
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Rasputin on 11.10.2014 at 18:43

BM is a joke in general.

But you're the best joke in whole history of humanity.
----
The Fangirl.
11.10.2014 - 21:59
Rasputin

Written by angel. on 11.10.2014 at 18:44

Written by Rasputin on 11.10.2014 at 18:43

BM is a joke in general.

But you're the best joke in whole history of humanity.

Glad to be of service
23.10.2014 - 13:27
EntombedRainfall

This whole situation surrounding Blake Judd is a sad one although I imagine it's more common than we think. It was heavily publicized so naturally a lot of people are talking about it. You know, it's sad on my part too in a way because I don't even like Nachtmystium but yet I have read the stories and such. Anyway, black metal generally supports anti-social ideas so I do find it a bit strange that fans and musicians alike are critizing an artist and drug addict who, more than most, actually lives the so-called "black metal lifestyle" including genuinely anti-social, hateful, malevolent behavior. A good number of the respected musicians in the scene have murdered another person (Burzum, Dissection) and I don't exactly think such a thing is cool or admirable. Furthermore, I noticed the fellow from Krieg who posted that big "open letter" or whatever about Blake Judd has supported the whole "never stop the madness" campaign himself which, at its foundation, supports hard drugs and all that is involved therein. I don't know, it all just seems a bit hypocritial and pitiful in the end. Again, I am not a fan and am even a bit ashamed that I got caught up in the drama of the whole thing through the metal press but, at the same time, it's undoubtedly an enlightening look into the often horrifying world of drug addiction and even black metal.
23.10.2014 - 16:55
Ilham
Giant robot
Because in that case let's all just live like savages, get addicted to hardcore drugs and steal each other because we listen to black metal. Which according to you advocates a hardcore anti-social lifestyle. I'm sorry but all that anti-social attitude is for show 99% of the time. It's not real. Just like Lady GaGa doesn't walk around in 40 cm heels in her home, and Mariyin Manson actually pays his taxes just like everyone else. Same for bm, the Satanism and all that shit, it's not real. People behind bm are mostly normal people, and it is for okay for normal people to be annoyed when a guy spends years lying to you and robbing you off your money.
23.10.2014 - 17:52
EntombedRainfall

Written by Ilham on 23.10.2014 at 16:55

Because in that case let's all just live like savages, get addicted to hardcore drugs and steal each other because we listen to black metal. Which according to you advocates a hardcore anti-social lifestyle. I'm sorry but all that anti-social attitude is for show 99% of the time. It's not real. Just like Lady GaGa doesn't walk around in 40 cm heels in her home, and Mariyin Manson actually pays his taxes just like everyone else. Same for bm, the Satanism and all that shit, it's not real. People behind bm are mostly normal people, and it is for okay for normal people to be annoyed when a guy spends years lying to you and robbing you off your money.

Eh, I was not attempting to advocate some savage lifestyle. I do agree that image plays a big role when it comes to entertainment and/or art in general but, then again, black metal is rooted in extremity moreso than metal's other sub-genres. Part of the reason the black metal guys went in the direction they did was because they didn't think it was cool for regular dudes to be playing death metal in sweat pants or whatever. The black metallers yearned for something, through their eyes, that was more real and genuine than what metal had given them up until that point and therein lies some of the motivation for the church burnings and murders and whatnot. In other words, they wanted to "walk the walk" instead of just "talk the talk". Anyway, what Blake Judd has done is terrible and disappointing in many ways and I cannot condone it in any way, shape or form. The point I was trying to make is that, to some extent, certain black metal musicians and fans have promoted the kind of behavior he has portrayed in some way or another - beyond mere lyricism and metaphor - although when the reality hit suddenly the "anti-social" sentiments seemed to go out the window in favor of more moral ones (which I fully support, by the way) so, again, it just seems a bit silly. Why act like you support murder and hard drugs when you really don't?

It should probably be noted that I am not exactly a black metal fan although I am rather familiar with the genre as a whole anyway. Black metal has since evolved, of course, and in many ways it's now the most accessible and easy-to-digest sub-genre of metal since many of its contemporary acts are more rooted in alternative and independent rock than metal. Furthermore, some of these artists promote things like serenity and unity instead of hatred and malice so I can also see the perspective that black metal has since become something more and different then when it first came to fruition.
07.11.2014 - 08:32
Rasputin

I'm still quite curious to find out what makes this band so...special? I listened through their last two albums, and was not impressed. What are you guys seeing and hearing that makes this band so good?
07.11.2014 - 12:05
Slayer666

Written by Rasputin on 07.11.2014 at 08:32

I'm still quite curious to find out what makes this band so...special? I listened through their last two albums, and was not impressed. What are you guys seeing and hearing that makes this band so good?

The last two didn't particularly impress me either. You should give Instinct: Decay a shot.

If, of course, you're ready to actually listen to the album instead of trying to find reasons to validate your "BM is a joke" bullshit.
07.11.2014 - 12:42
angel.
Evil Butterfly
But I'm an anti-social and proud of it, and you don't know how hard people like me and Judd try for these anti-social attempts, we'll ditch you social guys by stealing beating you hard, after all we're the hardcore of universe.
----
The Fangirl.
07.11.2014 - 13:43
Ilham
Giant robot
What are you on about Mary?
07.11.2014 - 13:47
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Ilham on 07.11.2014 at 13:43

What are you on about Mary?

Nothing special, just trying to make fun of the idea that the whole scene of BM is always into being anti-social and it is an obligatory to practice it in their personal life and behind the scene and such
----
The Fangirl.
08.11.2014 - 08:49
Rasputin

Written by Slayer666 on 07.11.2014 at 12:05

Written by Rasputin on 07.11.2014 at 08:32

The last two didn't particularly impress me either. You should give Instinct: Decay a shot.

If, of course, you're ready to actually listen to the album instead of trying to find reasons to validate your "BM is a joke" bullshit.

I'll check it out. BM is a joke, I'm sorry but the time for it is long gone, and especially when it comes to freaking USBM. I still listen to BM, but I don't belong to the culture like I used to 10 years ago. I still die laughing when I see a band giving an interview on how "Anti-Christian and Satanic" they are. Ne treba ziveti u proslosti, vec stvarati nesto novo i bolje, zar ne?
08.11.2014 - 12:40
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Rasputin on 08.11.2014 at 08:49

I'll check it out. BM is a joke, I'm sorry but the time for it is long gone, and especially when it comes to freaking USBM. I still listen to BM, but I don't belong to the culture like I used to 10 years ago. I still die laughing when I see a band giving an interview on how "Anti-Christian and Satanic" they are. Ne treba ziveti u proslosti, vec stvarati nesto novo i bolje, zar ne?

Christ how hard is it to provide a translation? If you want this to be private just PM the guy with your question.
09.11.2014 - 00:38
Rasputin

Written by Ilham on 08.11.2014 at 12:40

Written by Rasputin on 08.11.2014 at 08:49

Christ how hard is it to provide a translation? If you want this to be private just PM the guy with your question.

Yes my child? Have you sinned lately? Five hail Mary's and an act of contrition. In nomine patri e filli e spiritu sancti. Amen.

To translate, I asked him that was it better to create something new and better or living in the past? The days of BM are long gone. The style can stay to an extent, but it is not relevant either in the grand scheme of things. Immortal does not give a shit, Cradle of Filth has not been BM for a while now, their first two albums up until the Median and maybe Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder, Satyricon is doing something that I am still trying to figure out, their artistic approach should've been reserved for a side project, and the band name should've been retired, now you have Mother North and Phoenix in the same sentence and ask yourself what the fuck is going on? It's as bad as Alcest and their last offering, with complete clusterfuck of an album. Endstille did not have an original idea in a while and after 100000 blast beats you don't give a shit anymore, Burzum's last decent album was Fallen and Belus in my opinion, what he did afterwords is a mindfuck. Dimmu Borgir is a gimmicky money making scheme that keeps selling edgy rebellion to teenagers, and their last album was a bitch fest directed at their former members, so very inspiring. Gorgoroth for the span of 3 albums before breaking up was nothing revolutionary, but Godseed's debut was actually pretty damn good although a decade too late. Deathspell Omega is overrated, Watain is another gimmick like Sothis from the USA, Wolves in the Throne Room, first few Alcest albums, maybe Agalloch and few other acts are doing something different and I respect that. Satanic Warmaster still thinks he is in the 80's, which I don't mind but I can't take it seriously. Craft went into Punk territory, Ruins of Beverast is decent...must I go on? Basically, the Scandinavian BM is still living in the past where they think it is cool and edgy to bash Christianity, yet for the descendants of Vikings their balls must have fallen off or got frozen in the process, since not a single motherfucker did a song against a religion that is my current fan favorite, that starts with an I and ends with an M So much for that "we are total bad asses." For the new kids on the block, I imagine when they pick up some of the bands I mentioned, or some others they truly think that it is great and awesome and dangerous and tough, but it really is not. I said it before and I will say it again, for BM to stop being a joke it needs to rethink everything, and create something new, because making another Bathory/Dark Throne/Mayhem XYZ band is not really cutting it anymore. And please, no more corpsepaint and inverted crucifixes, it is as as scary as Kiss and as stupid as ICP.

On that note, I am still waiting to hear what it is with this band in particular that I should watch for? I just hope it is not another mob mentality like fears ago when Earth, Coalesce and Enslaved came out with Vertebrae and every magazine was ranting and raving how great the albums were, when they were only ok.
09.11.2014 - 04:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Cool. The guy above me knows about the 10 bigger named bands that were once the thing in black metal (and maybe a couple of fringe underground but on-the-cuff bands) and thinks that's a good representation of the current black metal climate. Great for you, son. I'd love to discuss more with you; I miss my younger self on this site when those bands were actually part and parcel of what BM currently was.

Really though, I'm having trouble thinking back to when BM thought it was tough and satanic and edgy, and when Darkclones and corpsepaint was actually in proliferation and when those bands you mentioned actually meant something significant. It's like a weird echo from the past that somehow surfaced after getting lost in Metal Storm's bowels. "...must I go on?" Yes actually, you should go on to actually reference, I don't know, the last 8 years of black metal perhaps if you want to critique what black metal is and should be doing?

Also... Vertebrae? Who the hell cared about that album? Axioma Ethica Odini is the one people flipped their shit over.

And who the flying arse is Coalesce? I must have missed out on that issue of Out In The Middle Of Nowhere monthly.
09.11.2014 - 05:32
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

"Burzum's last decent album was Fallen and Belus in my opinion, what he did afterwords is a mindfuck."

"Deathspell Omega is overrated"

"I said it before and I will say it again, for BM to stop being a joke it needs to rethink everything, and create something new"

"because making another Bathory/Dark Throne/Mayhem XYZ band is not really cutting it anymore. "

"And please, no more corpsepaint and inverted crucifixes, it is as as scary as Kiss and as stupid as ICP. "

Each of these sentences are so... I don't even have comments.
Have you ever heard of 3rd wave of black metal by any chance?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.11.2014 - 06:18
Rasputin

Written by Guest on 09.11.2014 at 04:53

Cool. The guy above me knows about the 10 bigger named bands that were once the thing in black metal (and maybe a couple of fringe underground but on-the-cuff bands) and thinks that's a good representation of the current black metal climate. Great for you, son. I'd love to discuss more with you; I miss my younger self on this site when those bands were actually part and parcel of what BM currently was.

Really though, I'm having trouble thinking back to when BM thought it was tough and satanic and edgy, and when Darkclones and corpsepaint was actually in proliferation and when those bands you mentioned actually meant something significant. It's like a weird echo from the past that somehow surfaced after getting lost in Metal Storm's bowels. "...must I go on?" Yes actually, you should go on to actually reference, I don't know, the last 8 years of black metal perhaps if you want to critique what black metal is and should be doing?

Also... Vertebrae? Who the hell cared about that album? Axioma Ethica Odini is the one people flipped their shit over.

And who the flying arse is Coalesce? I must have missed out on that issue of Out In The Middle Of Nowhere monthly.

Please do great sage enlighten me on these great bands you are talking about, since you are right, I guess I must've missed the last 8 years of metal. Also, my argument was directed at the Scandinavian scene. What is BM, please tell me, I'm dying to know.
10.11.2014 - 06:33
no one
Account deleted
Grab your popcorn Karlabos
10.11.2014 - 06:34
Rasputin

Written by Guest on 10.11.2014 at 06:33

Grab your popcorn Karlabos

Indeed. Troll time