Metal Storm logo
Recommend Me New Bands & Albums

17.05.2013 - 13:55
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
If you want to introduce some new bands and albums to a newbie (me), do it now! I like these genres: Power Metal, Thrash Metal and Folk Metal mixed with other genres. What would you guys recommend me?
17.05.2013 - 14:06
R Lewis

Uhm, in the Power department I'd recommend you the great classics: Avantasia, Helloween, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, HammerFall, DragonForce. I'd strongly advice you Týr, Alestorm, Falconer and in particular Elvenking. Each one of these four bands melts in its own way Power and Folk Metal. About Thrash I only enjoy the early Metallica, I'm not so into that genre.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
17.05.2013 - 14:11
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Written by R Lewis on 17.05.2013 at 14:06

Uhm, in the Power department I'd recommend you the great classics: Avantasia, Helloween, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, HammerFall, DragonForce. I'd strongly advice you Týr, Alestorm, Falconer and in particular Elvenking. Each one of these four bands melts in its own way Power and Folk Metal. About Thrash I only enjoy the early Metallica, I'm not so into that genre.

Ok, I know most of those bands and don't like Stratovarius, Helloween and DragonForce. Hammerfall is okay I guess. Anything more non-common stuff? Also, I have been getting into the death metal sound in some folk metal bands like Ensiferum.
17.05.2013 - 14:16
R Lewis

Written by Redn1ght on 17.05.2013 at 14:11

Ok, I know most of those bands and don't like Stratovarius, Helloween and DragonForce. Hammerfall is okay I guess. Anything more non-common stuff? Also, I have been getting into the death metal sound in some folk metal bands like Ensiferum.

Then you should try Wintersun, they're pretty similar to Ensiferum. On the Power side, there's also the great Kamelot, the cheesy Freedom Call, the super-epic Rhapsody Of Fire and Luca Turilli's Rhapsody, the wolves Powerwolf... It's full of good bands.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
17.05.2013 - 14:26
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Written by R Lewis on 17.05.2013 at 14:16

Then you should try Wintersun, they're pretty similar to Ensiferum. On the Power side, there's also the great Kamelot, the cheesy Freedom Call, the super-epic Rhapsody Of Fire and Luca Turilli's Rhapsody, the wolves Powerwolf... It's full of good bands.

Wintersun is pretty cool (Time I album), if I see that album in the local CD store I might buy it.
17.05.2013 - 14:48
ANGEL REAPER

Check this list ...there are plenty of different style bands and performers ...a lot of (pretty much) underground releases and more :
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=944
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.05.2013 - 20:08
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Darn it, now I'm hooked on to the melodic Death type stuff. Thanks. Any other bands of this genre?
19.05.2013 - 02:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Redn1ght on 18.05.2013 at 20:08

Darn it, now I'm hooked on to the melodic Death type stuff. Thanks. Any other bands of this genre?

My favorite band in that genre is:

Fractal Gates
----
rekt
19.05.2013 - 11:24
Risto
Wandering Midget
Some of my melodic death metal favourites:

Be'lakor
Insomnium
Dark Tranquillity
Amorphis (early albums)
Omnium Gatherum
19.09.2013 - 09:00
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by Redn1ght on 17.05.2013 at 13:55

Since you're into melodeath stuff:

Slumber
Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Godgory
IMO The only melodeath band that kept a consistency in their music.
30.09.2013 - 04:06
Guib
Thrash Talker
Ok... I think I'll be the one introducing you to Thrash you've never heard of... forget your Metallica for today

1. Crisix (band), Rise...Then Rest (album): Pretty darn good modern thrash from spain...
2. Havok (band), Time Is Up (album): ...well if you don't know this already, wtf are you doing ?
3. Municipal Waste (band), The Art Of Partying (album): To me this is their best work ever... get into it now bro.
4. Hexen (band), Being And Nothingness (album): Yeah alot of people don't know about Hexen, well they should.
5. Skeletonwitch (band), Breathing The Fire (album): You probably know this band, but if you don't you will love it trust me.

Ok so that was for the modern part...
and then.. some oldschool you might enjoy

1. Forbidden (band), Twisted Into Form (album): Classic thrash... really. If you don't like this O.o you're hopeless.
2. Testament (band), The New Order (album): Another classic, well actually all the following albums are classics if you ask me.
3. Toxik (band), Think This (album): This is so overlooked, no clue why.
4. Coroner (band), Punishment For Decadence (album): A personal favorite, I dig their sound so much.
5. Razor (band), Violent Restitution (album): Had to give something from my country, classic once again.

So 5 of each should suffice for now and if you need more, check out my list, there's plenty of it.

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=1233
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
02.10.2013 - 03:17
Nuendo

Check out www.vargahq.com Canadian Metal.
03.11.2013 - 22:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat

As far as the power department is concerned Lingua Mortis Orchestra's debut this year is my favourite and I strongly recommend it if you haven't already heard it. I checked out the latest from Gloryhammer, Helloween, Stratovarius and they were all underwhelming whereas Derdian's Limbo was quite good.
12.11.2013 - 21:01
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Children Of Bodom
Dimmu Borgir
Slayer
At The Gates
Dissection

Well I got into metal with those bands.