04. War For War
05. Order/Fade To Black
06. Dog Face Boy
07. All Gone To Hell
08. Make 'Em Blind
09. Don't Waste Your Time
10. Another Time
11. Out Of The Sun

Motorhead is a band very close to our hearts. After 27 years in the metal business, the filthiest band in the world is still going on strong. 2 years after the release of 1993 "Bastards", Motorhead, always eager to please, teamed up yet again with producer Howard Benson and hammered out a bunch of motor-songs called "Sacrifice".

You can't tell from the songs, but guitarist Wurzel was on his way out of the band. He did not take part in much of the writing process. He used to let everyone else do the work while he just sat there with his guitar across his knees. Needless to say, after the release of "Sacrifice" Wurzel officially left the band.

Despite the atmosphere in the studio, Motorhead left the fans gob-smacked once again. As heavy and as solid as ever, Lemmy has written some amazing songs with anthemic choruses and amazing twin guitar work. The songs changed a huge number of times. In typical Motorhead fashion, they went in with one thing and came out with something completely different. Lots of the songs were improvised on the spot!

The song "Sacrifice" and "Order - Fade to Black" are not very impressive but there is plenty more to feed on! "Sex and Death" is a very fast, raw, traditional motor-song written in ten minutes on the last day of recording. Other songs that stand out is the head-banger "Dog Face Boy", which is actually written about Phil Campell, "Don't Waste your Time", which features a piano and a saxophone (and is one of my favorite songs of all time) and "Over your Shoulder", which is truly fascinating. On one spot Phil does a brilliant solo which sounds like it is being played backwards. In fact nearly all solos on this album are chilling! Truly legendary!

"Sacrifice" has more nonsense on it than previous albums. Not bad nonsense!
The lyrics don't really mean anything, but they set the mood perfectly and make most songs strong and deep.

The dirtiest band in the world is still as fast and aggressive as it was back in 1975. Always eager to rock our minds, Motorhead record one heavy anthemic song after another. Just for us?

Written by | 20.10.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 65 users
19.12.2006 - 02:44
Rating: 6
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
yeah definitly not the one of the best Motorhead albums...in fact probably my least favorite. Not bad though....not terrible. 'war for war' is probably the best song.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.06.2008 - 16:30
Rating: 9
Martin_metal

This is the motörhead album that sounds most dirty I think..
29.03.2020 - 16:42
Rating: 9
blackwreath13

Very underrated here, super gritty and heavy. My favourite tracks are Over Your Shoulder and In Another Time.

Hits total: 6971 | This month: 12