Metal Storm logo
Mr. Bungle

19.05.2006 - 23:12
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Who else likes this awesome band of Mike Patton?

It's a shame they're disbanded. Their music is so spontaneous and odd! Mixing so many music styles, I can't even name them all.
And then there's Mike... Singing, growling, shouting, sighing, whispering, rapping and making all kinds of noises with his voice.

How much weirder can it get? Well then there's Fantomas, but that's not what this topic is about!

Does anybody else likes this band as much as I do?

I like the albums Mr. Bungle and California the most. They're awesome (and funny)!
19.05.2006 - 23:48
Alfonso
Perhaps my favorite recording project of the last century. Disco Volante must be the strangest, more-out-of-leftfield record that ever came out on a major label... it's amazing how well they blend such disparate influences as Romanian gypsy music, Italian film soundtracks, jazz, musique concrete and good ol' death metal...

As far as post-Bungle projects go, the Secret Chiefs 3 is where it's at!
----
20.05.2006 - 00:10
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
You mean that Secret Thiefs 3 sounds like Mr. Bungle? And if yes, what album of Mr. Bungle sounds the most like them?

I really enjoy listening to California, although Disco Volante is the most creative. California lacks those silent bleak passages that the previous albums have, it's nothing bad, but I prefer the happier sound on California.
20.05.2006 - 00:42
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
SC3 is ever-changing and unpredictable but if I were to compare it to a Mr. Bungle album, it would be "Disco Volante".

Also, Mr. Bungle is not just "Mike Patton's band". SC3 is good proof that the other members had just as much influence on Mr. Bungle's style as Patton did.
20.05.2006 - 01:17
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Ah well. It's just that Mike affects the music so much with his voice, it's almost impossible for someone else to top him with vocals. Especially those very weird ones.

And I didn't know that SC3 band were bandmembers of Mr. Bungle! I might certainly check them out now.
20.05.2006 - 02:39
Alfonso
Hence, "post-Bungle". Led by Trey Spruance, you could say that the Chiefs are somewhat an extension of Mr. Bungle in the sense that they delve deeper inside the diverse influences Spruance brought to Mr. B., perhaps in a purer/more Traditionalist way. Like jupitreas said, it's kind of an oversimplification to reduce Bungle to Mike Patton. They were SO much more than that.
----
20.05.2006 - 12:15
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Well, I wasn't really saying that Mike Patton had composed everything for Mr. Bungle. I don't really know where you got that from. I'm sorry if I did say that. Other point is that I just don't know the rest of the band members. But I've seen several live clips from them and the rest of the band is performing very well too (of course).
20.08.2006 - 16:41
YHP++ oh no
Account deleted
Well, Mr.Bungle was one of the most creative, open minded and talented bands. All of the group members are fuckin talented musicians and very very smart.

They are not under a specific genre, yet someone could say that they play experimental rock, jazz, alternative pop/rock, ska, metal, noise rock and (allow me) to quote from another site (allmusic):

"Mr. Bungle's sound and approach is a unique mix of the experimental, the abstract, and the absurd (in other words, the finer things in life)."

Disco Volante is an elaborate and beautiful album, quite surreal and avantgarde-like. Wonderful music-wise.

California is more relaxing, pop, happy and smooth, still creative, beautiful and 'clever' music, played with a very wide variety of musical instruments. One of my fav albums of all time and the first bungle record i listened to.

Mr. Bungle's self titled album is energetic, humorous, with nice bass/guitar riffs and melodies, the most close to metal of their albums. It could be the soundtrack to a wicked circus (with serial killing clowns! ) Korn seem to be really influenced by it in my opinion.

As said above, Secret Chiefs is a band run by former Mr.B. members. Their tracks are mostly instrumental and their music is unique, sometimes orchestral-like, sometimes sad and nostalgic, sometimes brutal (yeah, there are a couple of songs with brutal vocals and growls), sometimes oriental with a middle eastern feeling, sometimes epic and sometimes noisy. Cool band.

You might want to take a look at these websites : www.cv.org and www.bunglefever.com
21.08.2006 - 00:45
ylside
staff
Disco Volante is really awesome and disturbing at the same time, sometimes I really enjoy it sometimes I just can't listen to it. Very unique indeed.
24.08.2006 - 14:35
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
i like Mr. Bungle but not always i msut be in good mood to like them
they know to so boring sometime but i do like band, in fact i like anythign that mike do
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil:
04.09.2006 - 22:57
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
why didn't you tell me my ass was on fire?

I have the self titled album and at times love it, at times hate it.

One amusing bit - if you watch Slayer's "Live Invasion" video, one of the little interim clips in between songs features Jeff Hanneman singing "Squeeze Me Macaroni", my favorite song of Bungles.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.09.2006 - 01:06
ylside
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 04.09.2006 at 22:57

I have the self titled album and at times love it, at times hate it.

Exactly!, at least I'm not the only one having this feeling.
10.05.2007 - 00:31
KrystDopey
Account deleted
You know i could never really get into this band. Just like Mike Patton's solo albums i listen to them and they just seem mediocre at best. Now Fantomas, Tomahawk, and Faith no more have put out some amazing albums.
06.06.2007 - 06:01
Herzebeth
It's weird, but I don't like Mr. Bungle at all, the vocals just create headaches in me...though I bought Disco Volante and Mr. Bungle with no hestiation...maybe it's the fact that Mike Patton is the brain or something...I can't really say why I bought those if I kind of dislike the band
----
06.06.2007 - 16:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Herzebeth on 06.06.2007 at 06:01

It's weird, but I don't like Mr. Bungle at all, the vocals just create headaches in me...though I bought Disco Volante and Mr. Bungle with no hestiation...maybe it's the fact that Mike Patton is the brain or something...I can't really say why I bought those if I kind of dislike the band

Pfew I thought I was the only one on eart that thought the same as you. I love Patton's vocals but to my ears Mr. Bungle (all their works) is just plaing and utter shitty crap.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.06.2007 - 18:22
Herzebeth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.06.2007 at 16:26

Written by Herzebeth on 06.06.2007 at 06:01

Pfew I thought I was the only one on eart that thought the same as you. I love Patton's vocals but to my ears Mr. Bungle (all their works) is just plaing and utter shitty crap.

No No No....I feel the same way as you, let me tell you man, I bought both albums I heard one of them once and the other one I just managed to hear until the 6th track...and I haven't even bothered ever since. (I've had those in my shelves since the year 2002 or something)
----
07.07.2007 - 12:37
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Slightly off-topic , but Mike Patton related.

Has anyone heard the new album from Tomahawk?

It's called Anonymous and is inspired by Native American traditional chants.
Surprisingly it works quite well imo.

http://www.myspace.com/tomahawkofficial
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
02.02.2008 - 07:07
LethargyMan
I've listened to California way too many times. Seven of those tracks are in my iPod's top ten. It's quite a feat to make "happy" so dark and horribly depressing.

One of the best albums ever released in history of all time forever period.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
08.02.2008 - 21:14
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Mr. Bungle is on this internet jukebox at a local restuarant. Its 24 hrs so when me and my friends get smashed and decide to go eat at 4 o clok in the morning, I turn on Mr. Bungle. Everyone in the restaurant acts like it'll make their head explode!
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
22.04.2008 - 01:41
EddieGunner
Valkoinen kuolem
well it's been ages since i last time listen Bungle, and today i grab my CD's and listen them after a while and they sounded better then ever Patton is always great im huge FNM fan and everything else Patton involved

but one song they did cover don't get out of my head it's very known Italian song

24,000 baci

h... ma mi...
Ti voglio bene

Con 24 (venti quatro) mila baci
oggi saprei perche' l'amore
vuole ogni tanto mille baci
mille carezze all'ora all'ora
Con 24 mila baci
felici corrono le ore
un giorno splendido perche'
ogni secondo bacio te

Niente bugie meravigliose
frasi d'amore appassionate
ma solo baci che do a te.. ie..
ie.. ie.. ie.. ie.. ie.. ie
Con 24 mila baci
cosi' frenetico e' l'amore
in questo giorno di follia
ogni minuto e' tutto mio

Niente bugie meravigliose
frasi d'amore appassionate
ma solo baci che do a te.. ie..
ie.. ie.. ie.. ie.. ie.. ie
Con 24 mila baci
cosi' frenetico e' l'amore
in questo giorno di follia
ogni minuto e' tutto mio
Con 24 mila baci
felici corrono le ore
un giorno splendido perche'
Con 24 mila baci
tu mi hai portato alla follia
Con 24 mila baci
ogni secondo e' tutto mio
Con 24 mila baci
ogni secondo bacio te...

i totaly love this song, and they way they done it, and oh should i mention that i love patton vocal's in song
----
On pirun vaikea selvitä hengissä hautaan saakka
It is damn difficult to stay alive till the grave
Erno Paasilinna
:devil: