Metal Storm logo
Gems From 2013, Now with Pad Thai!

Track of the year: Prayer for Ascetic Misery- Ævangelist
Runners-up: Dyodyo Asema- Gnaw Their Tongues & Alkerdeel / Hereditaria- Lords of Bukkake /In Silence - The Prophecy/ Overcome- Hacride/ Atlas Stone- Haken/ s1- Blindead
--
Great Lists to check out: R'Vannith, MechanisT, musclassia, tea[m]ster, Alex Fenger, !J.O.O.E.!, Nefarious, coolingsrock, 3rdWorld, any list by mz, Moose, etc.

Thanks for following this, everyone! I will update this far less frequently from here on in. I do listen to fewer albums than most members on here, but that's mostly because many albums warrant a large number of listens to reveal themselves truly to me. I also tend to listen to a lot of older albums over the year. That being said, I hope you'll follow some of my later lists. I'm planning to start an all-time favourite list soon, but it may be the end of the year before that materializes. A 2014 list will be forthcoming. Cheers, and have a wonderful 2014!

Created by: Diverge | 29.03.2013

1. Ævangelist - Omen Ex Simulacra
[9.3/10] The most challenging album of 2013, by a good margin. This swirling homogeneity of Omen Ex Simulacra's tracks make this an extremely daunting listen, and one that probably won't reveal itself to listeners without headphones. Even then, there is no guarantee that this will ever unlock itself, unfortunately, and I expect many pre-existing fans will be disappointed by the effort here. That being said, to say that the album is a failure is a colossal exaggeration. Through and through, the album is harrowing, juxtaposing creepy ambient instrumentation with non-decipherable vocal passages which defy classification. The band rattles at the cage, especially at the end of the album, leaving only an aural assault; it never truly breaks loose, however. I would like to recommend tracks, but I think it would be best to think of it as an entire entity, since none of those are really "song-like." On the surface, they feel like songs, but when I thought about it a little bit more, I realized there was definitely more at work there. It is very hard to differentiate one song from the next. This is a challenging, corrosive and incoherent album, meant to stymie and puzzle you; for some lucky souls, this may be 2013's ultimate statement. In fact, each successive listen only bolstered this album up until I realized it was probably one of the best albums I've heard all year (I initially ranked this as #8 on my list); this is death metal pushed to the very limits, beyond what has been explored by Gorguts, Ulcerate or Portal. If you're at all into death metal, get this now; I can't guarantee you'll like it, but you will be challenged if you put any kind of investment into it.
2. Cult Of Occult - Hic Est Domus Diaboli
[9.2/10] French outfit Cult of Occult has made the definitive sludge/doom album of the year for me, without question. The opening track, In Vino Veritas, is an absolute punch in the face. Absolutely brutal vocals emerge with a character that perfectly emphasizes the subject matter of the lyrics: "I'm drunk. Fuck you. I hate you." If one superficially judged the band based on the lyrical matter, they would be deterred from listening to the album; however, I am going to argue that this album is a worthwhile listen because the band executes music that perfectly accompanies these lyrics. In Vino Veritas' slow, anxious drawl and memorable drive is an ideal introduction and the cornerstone to the album, simply because it makes us unambiguously clear why Satan (the subject matter of the rest of the album) is entirely necessary: we are carnal beings, we are all thoroughly intoxicated and we, above all else, value our own desires first and foremost above the superfluity of the rest of mankind. The rest of the album is precisely the execution of this game plan; Opus Ad Odio, another highlight, features a few memorable opening riffs for headbangers, and a nice psychadelic guitar passage that once again perfectly accompanies the lyrical subject matter. Most listeners have found this to be a slightly boring listen, which is understandable given the extended playing time. Needless to say, however, I thought this was a spell-binding listen and well worth any sludge fan's time; I don't think I will find a better album this year in the genre, although perhaps I will be happily surprised.
3. Lords of Bukkake - Desagravio
[9.1/10] Lords of Bukkake is a Spanish psychadelic sludgy doom outfit that plays an unrelenting experimental metal. The vocalist's shrieks are pretty much exactly what I want out of a harsh vocalist-- he recalls Coldworld at times, but they have a more unrefined aspect to them that is really appealing. The songs are intermingled with solid bluesy riffs a la Church of Misery and Pentagram (eg. Relente and Boca Acida), but also have satisfying, funky psychadelic experiments that avant-garde fans might enjoy. This is ambitious and fascinating stuff, filled with surprises at nearly every turn. As a result, this album is thoroughly engrossing and worthy of a score above a 9. Just listen to Hereditaria-- filled with bluesy riffs, incredible improvised soloing, unique vocals, and a great outro. After three years of near silence, these guys have generated a magnum opus that will, in all likelihood, remain fixed in the underground (unfortunately); after an album this glorious, their name would be a household one if the world was just. It is simply an inimitable experience beyond your wildest expectations.
4. Eloa Vadaath - Dead End Proclama
[9.1/10] FUCKING AMAZING AVANT-GARDE PROG. A late 2014 discovery, but clearly the best prog/avant-garde album of the year for me. These guys takes all the best features of Ne Obliviscaris and Dissona and countless other prog outfits, and combine them into one enormously tasty package. Brilliant.
5. Haken - The Mountain
[9.1/10] In all likelihoods, the progressive metal album of the year. An album that takes in its fair share of influences, especially Gentle Giant, but remains seamless and unmistakably Haken. Haken has finally fulfilled all the immense potential they proved they had on their other records, and have given us here nothing less than a total masterpiece of the progressive metal genre. Ross Jennings delivers a masterful performance here as well, and long sinewy tracks like Falling Back to Earth with its Riverside-y leanings help me forget the disappointment of Riverside's most recent album. The chops of the musicians are indeed on display, but the focus is on the emotional intensity of the album and vocal-oriented prog; in essence, the technicality of the arrangement is used solely to construct atmospheres that Haken's vocalist, Jennings, strives to explore around.
6. Persefone - Spiritual Migration
[8.8/10] There may very well be prog albums that are better in 2013, but this album features some of Carlos' most provocative and technical guitar work in the Persefone canon (The Majestic of Gaia, the Consciousness instrumental songs, Returning to the Source). The complexities are apparent from an initial listen, although the album excels whenever it makes the music accessible and tasteful. Given a few listens, I tend to think that this is Persefone's greatest work so far, with perhaps a small lapse for a few minutes in Inner Fullness; the incorporation of ambiance into the musical structures (the title track, in particular) gives Spiritual Migration a sophistication rarely seen in melodic death metal, while the complexities and nuances of several songs reveal themselves over many listens. Other highlights include the masterful fluidity of the record as a whole and the excellent outro.
7. Castevet - Obsian
[8.8/10]
8. Rosetta - The Anaesthete
[8.8/10] Absolutely brilliant post-metal, with aggressive moments that cannot be found in the other 2013 contenders in this genre. Rosetta turned a skeptic from ADOM into a full-fledged believer, and The Anaesthete has achieved a sprawling, flowing cohesion that I haven't found since Fen's Epoch album (which was in the atmospheric black/post-metal crossover genre). An extremely consistent offering, available at your own price on their Bandcamp page.
9. Owl - You Are The Moon, I Am The Night
[8.8/10] A slight shift in sound from the debut, but Owl never ceases to amaze me. It will not please any of the genre diehards, but it had many great moments. I clearly overrated this one on an initial listen.
10. Omb - SwineSong
[8.7/10] Fucking unreal prog with lots of avant-garde tendencies on display. If you thought David Dubenic from Dissona had a broad range of personas that he managed to cover in last year's groundbreaking Dissona, you should check out Omb's Davidavi Dolev. You may not like all the characterizations this man is capable of performing (for example, an older gentleman recalling aspects of his past), but this man handles everything from harsh vocals to operatic cleans very close to flawlessly. The band generates some very rich textures, and Dolev's performance ensures that the albums feels genuine from start to completion. It's a multifaceted, intricate journey Omb brings you on, and while you may not like every little bit along the way, it does feel oddly satisfying when all the elements start to click. They do have some Unexpect-y tendencies that are quite visible, but honestly Dolev's ability to shift from character to character and the feeling prominent in Israeli metal noticeably separate them from any of their peers. An astounding debut and very likely the best avant-garde metal album of the year.
11. Hammerhands - Glaciers
[8.7/10] Another album in contention for debut of the year; atmospheric sludge metal with progressive tendencies from Canada= very tasty.
12. Gris - À L'Âme Enflammée, L'Äme Constellée...
[8.7/10] I'm not a huge black metal fan, and I don't really find the classics that appealing to the ear (at least right now). That being said, Gris manages to pull together an astonishing black metal album driven heavily by classical undertones. The intricacies of the release suggest that this was conceived very meticulously; for two discs, it also manages to cover a lot of terrain but the brisk feeling definitely propels listeners through. Stunning.
13. Eibon - II
[8.6/10] A mind-blowing psychadelic doomy-sludgy affair; this is some of the finest metal you will listen to this year, since it flows naturally and is extremely well executed as a whole. It's not overly original or groundbreaking, but albums done this well are few and far between. The climaxes of the two tracks are great, and as a prog fan, I love it when bands maintain their momentum throughout a track until they manage to pull off the crushing finale. Great stuff.
14. Dissona - Ten Masks
[8.5/10] Technically, this album is an unofficial debut album that the band didn't want to release back in 2009. Released by the band this year as a "high school Dissona," it is clear that this is a really stellar demo and demonstrates just how much work the band put into refining their unique sound. It also features an interesting effort to combine prog with heavy doom metal (Under the Wing), and a prog epic that has become one of my all-time favourites (Delirium). Fans of prog should check this out to see the origins of the mighty band; it may help other listeners to more fully appreciate Dissona's self-titled album all the more. It was a pretty rough year for prog, so it's surprising to me that the Dissona demo actually came this far up on the list.
15. Blindead - Absence
[8.5/10] My expectations were high for this one after the single s1; admittedly, however, the transformation suggested by Blindead's singles was one that had the potential to disappoint. But rest assured that this album slays, with a fluidity and an unpredictability that took me off guard. I am hard-pressed to think of what this still is: it maintains a post-metal base, but it is very much a vocal-oriented alternative metal album and continues the concept album theme explored on albums like Affliction XXIX II MXMVI. It even incorporates symphonic instrumentation, clarinets and saxophones, so Ihsahn fans should immediately take notice; Blindead has you in their sights. Let me mention that, right from the first note of Absence, I LOVED the melodious turn in direction here, and the emphasis on the clean vocals that I always considered to be a strong point of the group. Clean vocals were painfully under-emphasized in their earlier records, to the point in which their absence became Blindead's only flaw. But now the formula has been modified in a move that is obviously going to alienate some pre-existing fans. That's not to say that there aren't aggressive moments, though (b6, in particular, is pretty grating and intoxicating). What makes Absence a success, then? In spite of the obvious turn in sound, it still manages to capture the feel of a typical Blindead record, with a remarkable level of maturity. Electronic nuances in s1 are gorgeous; the sensation of vacancy and removal from the transient environment are perfectly accentuated, with crisp transitions between the tracks and a wonderfully audible production. n4's opening also happens to be one of the sexiest, serene moments in metal this year, with a subtle living room vibe that reaches a terrifying breaking point towards the end, the pinnacle of uncertainty punctuated by spoken word and shrill clarinets. In sum, Absence seldom suffers from boring moments (indicative of post-metal sometimes), and furthermore, gives a band like Process of Guilt a good run for their money. Alternative metal album of the year?
16. Big Big Train - English Electric (Part 2)
[8.4/10] A more guitar-driven effort by the prog masters, and one that should definitely not go unnoticed. As far as I'm concerned, it is even better than Part 1. Leopards is an incredible song, and East Coast Racer is an ideal opening track. An incredibly well done album, which meets the hype I placed upon it after Part 1.
17. The Prophecy - Salvation
[8.4/10] Traditional doom with a heavy prog influence and a dash of death metal and atmosphere for taste. The vocalist Matt Lawson is simply astounding, and although he is unique, he would resonate with fans of Patrick Walker, Albert Witchfinder, Mikael Åkerfeldt and Damian Wilson. Its liberating, melodic nature would easily convert prog fans, although the cross appeal might be lost to doom fans. I guess it suffers from the same dilemma that DispersE's album has; both are well-thought out amalgamations between two genres with large cross-appeal, but will either succeed or falter based on a listener's taste. As someone who is primarily into progressive music (with doom a secondary genre), this album is an absolute gem. When Lawson demands "Follow my voice; I'll take you to the other side" at the end of Reflections, I can only respond with absolute psychological submission; this is one of many spine-tingling moments for me. Open-minded prog fans should definitely give it a listen. An early contender for death-doom metal album of the year.
18. Monte Penumbra - Heirloom Of Sullen Fall
[8.4/10] A really nice atmospheric/ambient avant-gardey black metal album that is very reminiscent of bands like Fen. Shoegazey-ness is kept to a minimum, and the ambiance and psychadelia come to the forefront on this record. In addition, the stunning cover art by Mories (Gnaw Their Tongues) is not to be missed out on this year. Highlight: Kinaesthetic Smoke. This is in contention for debut album of the year for me.
19. The Moth Gatherer - A Bright Celestial Light
[8.4/10] Ambitious and very well executed post-metal, with great synth work at times. This is an extremely mesmerizing piece of work, with The Water That We All Come To Need, Intervention and A Falling Deity being the key highlights. Thanks to R'Vannith for bringing it to my attention through his list.
20. Hacride - Back To Where You've Never Been
[8.4/10] Hacride is a rare phenomena, even in the French metal world filled with masterful bands-- these guys are underappreciated compared to Gojira (perhaps unfairly, given the strength of Hacride's albums before this one and Gojira's slight decline in quality over the last few years), and not as accessible or playing to the same audience as Klone. Needless to say, their return has been noticed by the humble listener over here. If you expected Lazarus part two, prepare to be disappointed; it's definitely not as ambitious as that album, and the average song length is around 4 minutes on this record. Overcome suggested that maybe they would give us a straight-up alternative prog-djent album with accessible songs, but I can verify that the album is a little more complex than that. The new vocalist Luiss Roux delivers an astonishing performance on that track, harnessing the reins of the band and reaching a power that until then had only been fantasized by the band; his last hardcore-growl is fucking killer. Introversion and Synesthesia feature stylistic surprises and interesting moments of ambiance, and this is what sets these guys apart from their contemporaries. They are still djenty, although not as much as on their last record; I think this is good, since the djenty elements on Lazarus seemed to alienate people. While much more immediate than Lazarus on the whole (as Darkside Momo put it, the emotional intensity makes the difference), the songs are well formed and, to put it bluntly, this is a mesmerizing record.
21. Subsignal - Paraìso
[8.4/10] The German prog masters return with a thoroughly engrossing affair, which was arguably the most anticipated album for me this year. If you think you are a prog fan and haven't heard Sieges Even or any of the prior Subsignal records, you need to correct that. Beautiful and Monstrous is an extremely consistent, melodious prog album that gravitated to me on repeat listens, and this album definitely continues in that tradition. Let me make one thing clear: there is no let-down here. Subsignal, headed by the smooth lacquered vocals of Arno Menses, has here attempted to focus on melody more than ever before, and is supplemented by a very audible, crisp production and some nice samples that are incorporated extremely well. I think it is really important to note that, upon an initial listen, the album doesn't feel as complex and sophisticated as Touchstones; it is far more immediate, and focuses on HOW this melody is presented. At points, you'll hear vocals and melodies sounding deep and far away from the "main sound", interesting touches that almost sound like they descended from a carnival; you'll hear excellent, non-gimmicky orchestral work, and at points you will get absolutely lost in the evocative, emotional architecture that Subsignal has (arguably) never done better. I was impressed by a slight turn in sound by Subsignal; it feels like there is slightly more vitality to the album than the others in their library (it is certainly more energetic at points, and chooses immediacy over sparsity for once). A Heartbeat Away is the definitive highlight, with its Riverside leanings and trademark Subsignal/Sieges Even chorus and song structure; the track even manages to adapt the effects used in tracks like The Trick is to Keep Breathing. In sum, that song is spellbinding in its entirety. If you wanted to find out if Subsignal is right for you, that is the track to check out. Another highlight includes the heavy The Colossus That Bestrode the World, with an excellent change in momentum and a bold demeanor. The backing vocals on that track are something I find really palatable, and the keyboard work here is tight. Overall, this is a great album that Subsignal fans will almost surely enjoy; I must warn that if you expect the complexity of Touchstones, you might be immensely disappointed. This is emotionally-oriented prog executed to a T and a distillation of Subsignal's strengths; rest assured that their slight twist in sound makes up for the lack of complexity here. Well done, boys.
22. Primitive Man - Scorn
[8.4/10]
23. Gorguts - Colored Sands
[8.4/10] A great return from the dissonant, tech-death masters. I can't say I loved every minute of it, but it was damn well better than I expected. It sits nicely next to From Wisdom to Hate; Enemies of Compassion is an absolutely unreal track. From a preliminary listen with the unmixed record, all I can say is that some songs could have been shortened by a minute and that The Battle of Chamdo is slightly too long for what it actually accomplishes; that being said, all of the songs are of an impressive level of quality, even An Ocean of Wisdom which made me worry about the album slightly. Great job from Lemay and Gorguts!
24. Leprous - Coal
[8.4/10] One hell of an album. This is coming from someone who was mildly disappointed with Leprous' last album, Bilateral, which was way too cheerful and not nearly as emotionally sensitive as Tall Poppy Syndrome. That being said, Leprous' new sound is pretty salient- a glorious vocal performance (especially on Foe, The Cloak, Contaminate Me and Salt), intricate melodies and guitar work, and a dark brooding, alternative atmosphere. At points, it does become too melodic and soft (in particular, The Valley, which Fat and Sassy! compared to a Depeche Mode song, even), that being said, the emotions of this record resonate with me far more than the prior record (an album whose vitality and energy overshadowed some decent song-writing), and the songs are full of very interesting moments and unexpected turns, without resorting to the awkward technicality of tracks like Forced Entry. It also helps that Ihsahn appears on a few tracks, and that the harsh vocals are back for a few segments. Overall, it is a very strong return. While this pales in comparison to Tall Poppy Syndrome, THIS is the album that I believe reaffirms Leprous as one of the great prog bands of our time.
25. Exivious - Liminal
[8.4/10]
26. Light Bearer - Silver Tongue
[8.4/10] What a great album; in a few words, post-metal done well, with enough prog sprinkled throughout to make it a thoroughly great experience. I can see this being a trying listen for some people due to its extreme length, but taken in small doses, it still does wonders. :)
27. Nocte Obducta - Umbriel (Das Schweigen Zwischen Den Sternen)
[8.4/10] German avant-garde has been very solid over the last few years. Nocte Obducta are no exception. With an extended discography that I haven't checked out, I cannot compare it to their previous ventures. That being said, Dinner Auf Uranos and Leere are very solid melodic pieces; while the former features a very interesting dubsteppy ambient interlude, the latter has David-Lynchy moments and light, delicate instrumentation that defies easy classification. The music is extremely subtle, perhaps even more so than bands like Lazuli; while a very accessible album, there are subtleties that escape realization for a long time, and salient motifs take a few listens to truly process and recognize. Everything feels bound together, coherent and sturdy; it's clearly a sound that has been pre-meditated and experimented with, exemplified with the crisp production and the vacuous tone of the guitars. I don't think this will be generally regarded as a classic, but this is incredibly well done. For all intents and purposes, Nocte Obducta is the avant-garde phenomenon of the year so far.
28. Obscure Sphinx - Void Mother
[8.3/10] Wow, someone pick me up off the floor. A stunning sludge-metal masterpiece, with a mystique that is absolutely captivating. Don't even hesitate. The Patient (from Lateralus-era Tool) is brought to mind, especially with the tribal instrumentation, while the riffs evoke Black Gives Way to Blue era AiC and Meshuggah's Koloss. This is a mesmerizing album, and the vocal performance here is probably the best 2013 has to offer.
29. Nero Di Marte - Nero Di Marte
[8.3/10] Heavily influenced by Hacride, Nero di Marte's debut manages to achieve a very unique identity by incorporating fair shares of death, post-metal and maybe a little bit of doom, with Ulcerate-like atmosphere. The drummer is a beast, managing some unique rhythms and pounding the kit like there's no tomorrow-- one of the best instrumental performances this year, and one you will remember for awhile. It also helps that the album ends on its best track-- Anoptikon is filled with esoteric moments, unrelenting emotional outbursts, and, as a whole, is cathartic bliss.
30. Kongh - Sole Creation
[8.3/10] I sincerely wish I had checked this out earlier. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Mastodon and figure they are probably one of the most overrated bands in heavy metal today; that being said, this sludge-stoner metal manages to attain a very heavy-sounding verocity with nice stoner vocals, with a slight Mastodon tinge that I actually don't mind. It doesn't quite fit what I like in sludge-metal (I generally prefer it mixed with a bit of post-metal, swirling doom a la Alkerdeel or Cult of Occult, or psychadelia a la Lords of Bukkake), but that's not to say it's simply a good record; it is of high quality relative to what normally comes about with this sound. It's also a very immediate album relative to all of the sludge I've listened to this year, which positively sets it apart. It gets a few rotations here and there, and every time I like it better than the last time (the ultimate sign of a great record). So, for me at least, there were some engagement issues with the record, but for sludge fans, it will not be a mistake.
31. The Ocean - Pelagial
[8.3/10] Really splendid, dynamic post-metal; the best album The Ocean have produced since Precambrian. The absolute highlight for me is Impasses, which builds momentum perfectly throughout the track.
32. Progenie Terrestre Pura - U​.​M​.​A.
[8.3/10] Apothecary was right. This is sci-fi ambient avant-garde music of the highest order, at a point in the year when I was about to dismiss the avant-garde scene this year. I highly recommend this album to fans of Arcturus and even so far as Darkspace- admittedly, however, it is far more "proggy" than anything on Darkspace's catalogue. This Italian duo smash onto the scene with a sound of seismic proportions-- Progenie Terrestre Pura (the track) and Droni best exemplify the cosmic journey ahead, a collage of electro-industrial noise bridged with the ambition and foresight of Arcturus. I can only imagine many retroactively adding this one to their lists at the end of the year, upon the band's inclusion in the Metal Storm Awards.
33. Fen - Dustwalker
[8.3/10] Epoch was an absolutely brilliant record, probably my favourite in the post-metal, atmospheric black-metal crossover genre. Words cannot describe how magical that journey was for me. But Dustwalker is also relatively impressive on its own terms, with moments of rawer brutality (Hands of Dust, Wolf Sun) and one of their greatest ever tracks, Spectre, a sexy post-metal song tinged with a warm guitar tone reminiscent of the 1960s and steeped in the serenity that has continued to make shoegaze relevant, in spite of its naysayers. It falters at points due to some relatively mundane post-metal moments, but it's a genre of music I find overly palatable and Fen's newest album does little to disturb me. It remains, however, the only Fen album with an asterisk-- it does little to redefine the genre and is not progressive in any sense of the word, but it is well executed. If you want to get to truly know the band, listen to Epoch (The Malediction Fields is also good, but it still sounds like every other shoegazey band).
34. Evoke Thy Lords - Drunken Tales
[8.3/10] This is fucking unreal. Incredibly well executed stoner doom with the gorgeous addition of a flute.
35. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
[8.3/10]
36. Tribulation - The Formulas Of Death
[8.3/10]
37. Botanist - IV: Mandragora
[8.3/10]
38. Karnivool - Asymmetry
[8.3/10] I'm not going to peg these guys as a mixture of Tool, The Mars Volta, Dredg, etc. (as the reviewers on Metal Storm and the Youtube commenters have done) because that approach overlooks some of the unique things that they are doing on this record. I love the incorporation of noise and other idiosyncratic electronic touches to this album, which is done very deliberately and sets them apart from their peers. Asymmetry is truly a great album, and one that will equally gain new converts and lose some pre-existing fans of Karnivool. Some aspects of the record are very withdrawn (AM War, for example, is more complex and interesting than one might expect), but everything from melodical delicacy to moments of unbridled aggression are performed very nicely. Aeons, We Are, Nachash, The Refusal, and other tracks are highlights screaming to be heard, and while the album does drop somewhat in quality towards the end, the other tracks are still spell-binding in their own rights (although not quite as accessible). The longer tracks on this album are done far better than the longer tracks on Sound Awake, and feel less Lateralus-like, which may obviously disappoint those who loved Sound Awake; in addition, the vocalist is very good but still relatively disappointing at points for me, mainly because he doesn't rely on range or power like the vocalists I thoroughly enjoy (Damian Wilson, Kelly Carpenter and Chris Cornell, for example). It is a challenging record at times, and it is by no means a perfect record, but the power of the highlighted tracks will very likely entice the appetites of even the most discerning prog/alt metal fans.
39. Lalu - Atomic Ark
[8.3/10] Take the technical virtuousity and vocal performances of Headspace, and combine it with the catchiest instrumental elements of the French metal scene (Gorod, Trepalium, Klone, Gojira, etc.), and you get Lalu. The first two tracks are one of the best one-two punches this year, with incredibly catchy riffs that astounded me in the beginning. But the real highlight is the massive finale. At points, the later tracks are too short and never really get their groove going, but repeated listens does make this a grower. I really enjoy this sound so it gets a high rating from me, but if you don't really like what I've described, I think you might be safer listening to the other prog albums on my list.
40. Thaw - Thaw
[8.3/10]
41. Abnormal Thought Patterns - Manipulation Under Anesthesia
[8.3/10] The guys from Zero Hour return with some solid instrumental metal, displaying both chops and a level of creativity that simply blows away most of the other instrumental metal that has been released this year. The tracks themselves are remarkable, never really overstaying their welcomes, and their ventures into jazz fusion (ie. Calculating Patterns) and progressive metal (The Velocity and Acceleration movements) are done very tastefully, indeed. It's a very different path from Zero Hour, but it is one that also has a lot of nuances and interesting paths that are worthy of being dissected by fans of the band. Harmonic Oscillators is an absolute beast of a track, and stacks up with the best tracks of the year so far. An astounding instrumental album, especially for someone who doesn't really care for instrumental metal.
42. Beyond - Fatal Power of Death
[8.3/10] If you were disappointed with Morbid Angel's newest, check out Beyond's debut. The aesthetic here is a very faithful mimicry of Morbid Angel's earliest records, and Beyond manages to remind listeners of the vitality of exactly what was happening with the dawn of death metal. But I would say that although Beyond get caught up in this worship, they also manage to sound like Vektor at points instrumentally; in other words, I don't get the sense that this album is entirely derivative, and although the songs themselves are remarkable, these guys still need to find their place. Perhaps over the next few years we will see what they have in store.
43. Ulver - Messe I.X-VI.X
[8.3/10] Because Ulver (Sorry if that wasn't exceptionally helpful and descriptive).
44. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
[8.3/10]
45. Bölzer - Aura
[8.3/10]
46. CHON - Newborn Sun [EP]
[8.3/10] If you are a fan of creative music, please give CHON a chance. The guitarists are doing extremely intriguing things that very few would even consider; while some would be hard-pressed to call this "metal", there is no doubt that djent and Cynic fans will eat this up. In particular, Dew is a standout track that is alone worth the price of admission. Of all the bands on this list, they are the hardest to characterize-- they really aren't fixed in the metal/djent genres, and are at some sense removed from these movements. Perhaps that is why the album feels so refreshing, complemented by a wonderful crisp production. As an EP, it shows a lot of promise.
47. Inter Arma - Sky Burial
[8.3/10] A very tasteful amalgamation of sludge, doom, and post-metal that is blended naturally (without appearing artificial); The Survival Fires and Destroyer are highlights in this heavy affair.
48. Ulcerate - Vermis
[8.3/10]
49. Anciients - Heart Of Oak
[8.3/10] A heavy metal debut steeped in stoner rock, black metal, and post-metal, with an appropriate focus on melody; like Inter Arma's newest album, it manages to blend disparate elements very naturally together, although admittedly the hard-rock basis of the record and the blues-based riffs are highlighted in the production. Raise the Sun, Falling in Line and Flood and Fire are great tracks, and they manage to evoke a lot of atmosphere during those songs, which are the perfect length. In addition, the blues-based guitar solos are quite impressive at times and extremely well-executed. The vocalist also seems to hold his own during the record. Worthy of the accolades they have been receiving in the underground.
50. Spew - World of Shit
[8.3/10] Local thrash from Halifax, Nova Scotia, with a hardcore aftertaste. It's not particularly original, but it has been immaculately mastered and produced by the band; the guitar is painstaking brought to the forefront and the production turns the album into an aural assault. At less than twenty-two minutes, the length is a large positive! The movie clip interludes are also inspired choices, enhancing their presentation as a thrash band that is unable to be disentangled from alcohol. Their influences are obviously Slayer, Napalm Death and bands like SSS, if I had to place them. The title track is energetic and among some of the better tracks to come from the scene here, in my opinion. Slimey's vocals are tantalizing, and Troy's guitar work is extremely solid. http://spew.bandcamp.com/music is the site if you wish to pay a fair price and download their album directly from them, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0UJ8D6DF_0 is great if you want to listen to stream the album for free.
51. Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
[8.3/10] Great hardcore/thrash crossover album, filled with great heavy riffs and excellent hardcore vocals that remind me of Helmet at times. Heretic's Fork is a beast.
52. Sanktuary - Something Fierce
[8.3/10] A selection to graciously represent my local scene. These Halifax-based heavy/thrash metallers produce a long awaited debut that will be enjoyable for metalheads interested in groovy, heavy metal with a conventional character (Hail the Villain, Fire in the Sky). There is a NWOBHM feel to the album as well. A fledgling band that I have watched grow and develop from the mosh pit-- here's hoping these guys get underground recognition to propel them to the spotlight! http://spreadthemetalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/something-fierce is the link to their album!
53. Argus - Beyond The Martyrs
[8.3/10]
54. Portal - Vexovoid
[8.2/10]
55. Wormlust - The Feral Wisdom
[8.2/10]
56. Terra Tenebrosa - The Purging
[8.2/10]
57. Consciousness Removal Project - Tacit
[8.2/10] I really like this album; entrancing instrumental prog metal fully designed to remove you away from your worldly affairs and into a space CRP governs. Mercurial is a highlight; I won't spoil the experience by attempting to describe it, but needless to say, it is highly recommended, even for those who aren't into instrumental music.
58. Palms - Palms
[8.2/10]
59. Caligula's Horse - The Tide, The Thief & River's End
[8.2/10]
60. Cynthesis - ReEvolution
[8.2/10] The progressive metal boys from Zero Hour return for their second appearance on this list, this time with their Cynthesis outfit. As a concept album, this has currently been unparalleled in 2013; it is truly masterful and stays to the point, with lyrics that are meaningful and worth the investment of your thoughts. Musically, it sometimes tends to be a bit over the place; the two short tracks on the beginning tend to impede listeners, in my view, but with more listens, the album progresses and becomes more interesting. At points, the Tipton brothers are in top form, but for the most part, their talents are toned down and made extremely accessible, to the point where their music almost feels derivative. The strategy was clearly to evoke a more open, contemplative atmosphere, but sometimes it does feel mundane. I do find the singer Erik Rosvold (original singer of Zero Hour) to be a little lacking in the range department, but there are moments of surprising emotional poignancy throughout the record that do take time to fully appreciate; Release the Deity is a gem, and Rosvold is in top form there. In sum, this album definitely requires a lot of listens to get behind; I began to recognize its songwriting strengths and its more emotional sides with each additional listen, and I can finally say it is a release of a very high calibre (which is to be expected from the California outfit). Definitely worth a listen for progressive metal fans.
61. Pomegranate Tiger - Entities
[8.1/10] Do yourself a favour and check out New Breed.
62. Intronaut - Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words With Tones)
[8.1/10]
63. Abyssal - Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius
[8.1/10]
64. Altar Of Plagues - Teethed Glory & Injury
[8.0/10]
65. Ramage Inc. - Feel The Waves
[8.0/10] A really nice prog album, especially for fans of Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine: Biomech album. Muse is a clear influence as well, but it is always secondary to the Heavy Devy vibes. I can't say that it is particularly original, but it is well-executed and worth a prog fan's time.
66. Pryapisme - Hyperblast Super Collider
[8.0/10] Nice avant-garde album with electronic touches executed very well. As an album that is primarily instrumental, it isn't something that I'm that into, but it's done very tastefully. Additionally, their video for Un druide... is probably one of the funniest metal videos I have yet witnessed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rim-m4Wtcqo). It has its moments (the last few tracks are awesome), but it is a little bit too schizophrenic and suffers whenever it goes too deeply into electronic.
67. Antediluvian - λόγος
[8.0/10] A blackened death album that sounds positively evil compared to some of the others infesting that genre. These Canadians sound like residents in Hell for the most part; the brief run-time of the album is also a large positive.
68. Cult Of Luna - Vertikal
[7.9/10] Wonderful ideas, but a boring execution here. If you love Cult of Luna, it is by all means a must-listen, but the approach wasn't something I found particularly engrossing. That's not to say it is a bad album, as it is a very good quality record; it just didn't resonate with me as much as I think it was intended to. The post-metal albums above are of a slightly higher quality, even if they are a bit safer.
69. Dreadnought - Lifewoven
[7.9/10] A breakout performance by an interesting progressive metal band, with a noticeable amount of post rock, black metal and alternative thrown into the mix. Instrumentally, the group is astounding; long, sinewy melodies are intoxicating, although not really in a shoegazy kind of way. The keyboards and flute solos are real strong points; the only real con, in my honest view, is the shoddy production, which will ultimately improve as they rise the ranks. Deluge is a convincing track and feels quite well-developed, smooth and performed as if with ease; Renaissance is also a splendid track to close off this unique album, which thankfully doesn't overstay its welcome. This year's Dissona, I would say; that is, a new rising star to pay attention to. I was really into these guys when I first heard them, but I didn't want to hear them as much months later for some reason.
70. Highgate - Survival
[7.9/10]
71. Dust Sculptures - Nostalgia
[7.9/10] Relaxing, acoustic progressive music; sinewy and long, contemplative tracks perfectly designed for unwinding. If you're weary of the angst permeating most of heavy metal, this is your prescription.
72. State Urge - White Rock Experience
[7.8/10] Really digging this album-- a worthwhile listen for all fans of Riverside, Enochian Theory, Genesis, Jethro Tull and Big Big Train. Very influenced by classical prog, but there's definitely some modern prog in there for taste. Good debut, but not ground-breaking in the slightest.
73. The Albion Codex - Summon The Ancients
[7.6] Progressive doom metal that is quite solid. In my opinion, it lags behind primarily because the instrumentation is a little bit too reminiscent of the Australian clean sound (ie. the instrumentation sounds like Be'lakor and Ne Obliviscaris if they made a doom album). The vocalist is decent, but rather unremarkable, in my view. He gets the job done and there aren't any issues with his vocals; that being said, The Prophecy outranks them on all accounts. Man or Antlered Man and Swordwielder are highlights in a nice little album. There's no doubt in my mind that this would attract the crowd that devoured Anciients and many of the proggy-minded denizens here at Metal Storm, so definitely check it out.
74. Seeds Of Iblis - Anti Quran Rituals
[7.6/10]
75. Orphaned Land - All Is One
[7.5/10]
76. Deafheaven - Sunbather
[7.5/10] Nothing less than a very good black-post-shoegaze album. Extremely unremarkable at points, but the album is poignant and powerful slightly more (especially during the interludes and Vertigo). It suffers from the same problem as the new Fen album does: it does little to innovate or move beyond the confines of their respective genres, but it is well executed. The only difference here is that I was bored more often than on Fen; the songs on this album are sturdy and ambitious, but overstay their welcome. Not quite good enough to round to 8.
77. Shade Empire - Omega Arcane
[7.5/10] Some excellent moments, followed by some good moments of melodic symphonic black metal with slight industrial tinges. Despite its length and overall attempt to make complex music, it comes across as extremely accessible to me, and hence lacks the nuances that made albums like Spiritual Migration one of my favourites this year. I can see this album going to the top of many lists, though.
78. Thrawsunblat - Thrawsunblat II: Wanderer On The Continent Of Saplings
[7.5/10]
79. DGM - Momentum
[7.4/10]
80. Trials - In The Shadow Of Swords
[7.3/10]
81. Shining (NOR) - One One One
[7.3/10] As a fan of Blackjazz, I can honestly tell you that Shining was unable to produce an album of similar quality this time around. One One One is brief, catchy, and is not devoid of the madness that they were renowned for on their prior album. It's slightly too safe (My Dying Drive, for example, is well done, but I get the sense that they are restraining their madness somewhat), and the vocals have declined slightly. But these complaints are quite minimal; it is clear the band wanted to experiment in shorter, catchier segments, and the direction is somewhat fruitful. Maybe it isn't a direction I'm particularly invested in, but Shining rock nonetheless.
82. Boil - aXiom
[7.3/10] This album would definitely suit the progressive metal sensibilities of many on Metal Storm. It's not accurate to describe them as a mixture of Klone and A Perfect Circle (with a bit of djent tossed in the mix), but fans of the groups are clearly the target audience here. It's one of those albums that lacks any discernible flaw, but doesn't exactly overwhelm the listener either. The vocalist is sensational-- the growls are very tasteful and used sparingly, while his voice is catchy (perhaps even more so than the vocalist for Klone); it is also a surprisingly diverse album (although in saying so, I must admit that it is fairly generic when you first listen to it; the diversity comes as you listen to the record more). The musicians aim for clarity and restraint instead of bombastic, over-the-top instrumentation. At the Center of Rage and Vindication are my personal favourites.
83. Disperse - Living Mirrors
[7.3/10] As a djenty, melodious affair, DispersE manages to reach moments of brilliance (Enigma of Abode, mainly), but it is tepid and stagnant by prog standards and not djenty enough to truly capture my attention like Monuments, Meshuggah, and Bend the Sky. In bridging the two genres, they manage to produce a few highlights, but you have to wade through a lot of mundane moments just to get there. Wildly inconsistent, but still highly recommended for prog-heads/djent fans, since I get the sense that it has a broad appeal, even though it alienates me. It is a bit of a grower, though, so the rating could certainly change.
84. Octopus - Into The Void Of Fear
[7.2/10]
85. Pensées Nocturnes - Nom D'une Pipe!
[7.2/10] Sigh. The album is really not that engaging, in spite of how creative the sound is. The incorporation of circus-eque instruments are appreciated, but the music itself is stagnant and boring and all over the place. Additionally, people seem to rave about the neoclassical elements of this album, but they are actually few and far between, in my honest opinion. It doesn't even feel like something that would improve when I "think about it a little bit more," like an Unexpect album. It's just a mess all around, with meritable tracks sprinkled here and there. Le Berger is at least a standout track, and some of the orchestral moments in La Chimère are notewothy. Honestly, I cannot help but think about how great this would have been if the musicians showed signs of vitality. It's a good album, but it is disappointing solely because of how close it was to being excellent at points.
86. Clutch - Earth Rocker
[7.2/10] Solid, although lacks anything to get me emotionally involved. Great tunes to listen on car rides, but I already had BTO for that... That being said, I can see the hype that people are giving to this album, and I am intrigued enough to check out their extended discography. So consider that a win, Clutch.
87. Noumena - Death Walks With Me
[7.1/10]
88. Jolly - The Audio Guide To Happiness (Part 2)
[7.1/10]
89. Riverside - Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
[7.1/10] Solid, albeit unspectacular prog that has been well executed, although lacks the creativity and energy I expect from progressive music. Compared to Riverside's other records, I cannot help but feel disappointed.
90. Lesbian - Forestelevision
[6.8/10] While the band is able to pull off great transitions through the massive track, it ends up feeling like a shallow, boring meaningless exercise. They end up treading too much ground, to the point where almost none of it is very well executed; if they had the foresight to develop some of the great moments for longer than 30 seconds, they would have captured my attention for far longer. The doomy beginning is definitely not one of the finest moments of the year, in my view. There are some great moments (especially 10 minutes in, 17 minutes in and 20:30 in), but for the most part it fails to dazzle. Some people also seem to praise the riffs, but I don't think there are many unique ones that popped out at me. It is also falsely advertised as incorporating lots of genres (I've seen prog/grunge/black/stoner/doom/funeral doom/psychadelia/shoegaze mentioned), whereas I would simply characterize it as expansive psychadelic/doom metal with a few King Diamond moments. To be clear, this is not an album reminiscent of bands like Nachtvorst, whose latest album straddled shoegaze/doom/black quite masterfully and allowed the listener to clearly see and discern all the genres. This is still a fine album, but, in my view, the general tedium will likely prevent most listeners from being fully dedicated to the musical experience presented; I will be listening a couple more times before I give it a final grade. They will likely gain converts with this work, but maybe their next album will grab me.
91. Mourning Beloveth - Formless
[6.7/10] Well, who could see this one coming? Mourning Beloveth delivers an album with a few good moments, but for the most part, it is uninspiring, drab and lifeless compared to the rest of their ultimately quite stellar discography. The last three tracks are tedious at best, in spite of some great tracks at the beginning (Ethics on the Precipice and Old Rope, in particular).
92. Dividium - The Scourge
[6.5/10] Progressive metal done very adequately, but it can't find a niche and escape its influences. There is some great musicianship, but in terms of songwriting, I must admit that almost all of the songs overstayed their welcome. I see some promise here, but as a debut, I was not instantly satisfied and felt reluctant to return for repeat listens.
93. Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
[6.3/10] Simply dreadful relative to AiC's other output. There is nothing on this album that Alice in Chains didn't do better on Black Gives Way to Blue. As I've mentioned elsewhere, mostly unremarkable tracks on this album that is approximately SEVENTY MINUTES LONG. This is coming from a band consistently renowned for their songwriting abilities, and rightfully so. That's inexcusable in my book. There are some redeemable moments, whether it's Lab Monkey, with interesting Bon-Jovi-like instrumentation at times, and Phantom Limb, with effective instrumentation and impressive vocal harmonizing a la Black Gives Way to Blue. Hung on a Hook is my personal favourite. As you can see, it's not entirely deplorable- in fact, I recommend you listen to it, since AiC are masters. That being said, AiC went from making their second best album (in my opinion) to the single, indisputably worst album of their long career.
94. Todtgelichter - Apnoe
[5.2/10] Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Todtgelichter's Angst was an incredible album, moving tastefully from black metal to post metal to prog to the seldom vocal-oriented shoegaze in an inimitable way. With Apnoe, however, they erase most of their radical successes and drown it in melody, poppy vocals and strange art-rock; while not entirely unsuccessful, they establish little new ground. Embers and Torn are great, and the rest of the album has its moments, but it's so repetitive that it annoyed me even on an initial listen. The new male vocalist is a real step backward as well; there are a billion other guys like him out there, and he does nothing to differentiate himself. Kudos to the band for taking the risk, but it's ultimately a failure in my books. Ah well, Akphaezya's latest album was one I perceived to be an absolute bummer and I've reconsidered it, ultimately thinking it was a very good album. But this one is just so much worse... LET YOUR COLOURS BURST TO LIFE.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Diverge ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 29   Visited by: 170 users
27.05.2013 - 04:33
Susan
Smeghead
I just saw your comment in the Evoke Thy Lords review where you said it was a great album but probably won't be in your top 50 albums of the year. I was about to make a snarky comment about along the lines of "you think you're going to find FIFTY better albums than this?!" but decided to first check to see if you had a list Just skimming through, it seems to have some awesome titles! I will check out many more of them.

And major, major props to anyone who creates a list with actual descriptions of the album. Lists that are simply titles are worthless; this list actually makes me want to hear the albums!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
27.05.2013 - 05:52
Diverge

Written by Susan on 27.05.2013 at 04:33

I just saw your comment in the Evoke Thy Lords review where you said it was a great album but probably won't be in your top 50 albums of the year. I was about to make a snarky comment about along the lines of "you think you're going to find FIFTY better albums than this?!" but decided to first check to see if you had a list Just skimming through, it seems to have some awesome titles! I will check out many more of them.

And major, major props to anyone who creates a list with actual descriptions of the album. Lists that are simply titles are worthless; this list actually makes me want to hear the albums!

Hahah it grew on me a lot after listening! At first I was deterred by the vocals, but I realized that they are so sparse that they aren't actually a problem for me at the moment. I withdraw my comment for the time being, haha.

Glad you like the list. I'm trying to have comments for every single album, but it's certainly a challenge with all of the other things I have to do. musclassia's list is also great-- he describes every single album. I have a pretty withdrawn taste in metal, but I'm sure you'll find a couple of gems here. If I had to give you a general recommendation, I would say: listen to The Prophecy- Salvation. It's a nice album, and hasn't been getting the recognition I think it deserves. On a side note, you have a very good taste in music, so do send me some recommendations if you find the time. Cheers, and thanks for the comment.
27.05.2013 - 14:15
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I'll need to give that Pensees Nocturne another go but I agree with what you wrote there, seemed very mismatched and incoherent. Some albums start like that for me from initial impressions and then I find something which pulls it all together, maybe a few more tries and it might happen with that album.

Nice to see your writing has been noticed by the artists themselves (Lords of Bukkake)! And as Susan said your writing itself is nicely descriptive and useful, so thanks for taking the time.
28.05.2013 - 05:21
Diverge

Written by R'Vannith on 27.05.2013 at 14:15

I'll need to give that Pensees Nocturne another go but I agree with what you wrote there, seemed very mismatched and incoherent. Some albums start like that for me from initial impressions and then I find something which pulls it all together, maybe a few more tries and it might happen with that album.

Yeah, admittedly I've only listened to it twice, but I should give it another shot. I think my first impressions were pretty strong, so maybe a few more listens will help me calm myself down. I always want to make sure I take every band for its merits, even though sometimes the many incoherent/mundane things going on seem to overshadow the great elements.
21.07.2013 - 04:45
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Thanks for The Albion Codex suggestion, they have a very appealing sound to me, a drawn out mix of heavy, doom and prog. A bit of a stoner feel as well, would make it something for fans of that Anciients album I agree.
I do get caught up on the vocals but the songwriting is really good!
16.09.2013 - 04:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Your descriptions are almost like reviews. +1 for the effort alone. Agreed with your opinion on Riverside's latest, it was mostly forgettable.
16.09.2013 - 06:36
Diverge

Written by 3rdWorld on 16.09.2013 at 04:58

Your descriptions are almost like reviews. +1 for the effort alone. Agreed with your opinion on Riverside's latest, it was mostly forgettable.

Haha thanks a lot! I do find it helpful to try and put my sentiments about this music into words, although it can be a pretty difficult task and one that can certainly be subjected to a lot of criticism from more-familiar listeners. I hope my words don't lead people too far astray from what they can expect from an album. Thanks for the +1.

Yep, Riverside's newest has kind of grown on me a little bit once I had their ADHD album out of my head, but it still runs a terrain that I don't find particularly admirable. But that's the nature of prog-- it's inevitably going to alienate some long-time fans who anticipate a certain sound. I listen at a fairly slow pace relative to other MS users, but do send me recommendations if you come across anything fascinating.
30.09.2013 - 13:36
mz

Vermis, my most favorite album of year is not featured here
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.10.2013 - 06:01
Diverge

Written by mz on 30.09.2013 at 13:36

Yeah, I have heard it and I haven't quite made my mind up about it. It's fucking amazing (don't get me wrong), but I'm trying to see if it is just because of the hype that has been placed upon it.
Rest assured it will be here soon enough.
01.10.2013 - 12:18
mz

Written by Diverge on 01.10.2013 at 06:01

Written by mz on 30.09.2013 at 13:36

Yeah, I have heard it and I haven't quite made my mind up about it. It's fucking amazing (don't get me wrong), but I'm trying to see if it is just because of the hype that has been placed upon it.
Rest assured it will be here soon enough.

Ok, fair enough
I do not think that it's over hyped at all.
----
13.12.2013 - 23:01
mz

I really appreciate the effort you've put into your reviews. More list makers, including myself, should take notes here
----
13.12.2013 - 23:32
Diverge

Written by mz on 13.12.2013 at 23:01

I really appreciate the effort you've put into your reviews. More list makers, including myself, should take notes here

I appreciate the sentiment, especially coming from someone who doesn't particularly agree with my #1 selection of the year so far.
As always, feel free to send me recommendations.
14.12.2013 - 00:01
mz

Written by Diverge on 13.12.2013 at 23:32

I appreciate the sentiment, especially coming from someone who doesn't particularly agree with my #1 selection of the year so far.

I was actually going to point out that I disagree with you #1 album of the year and cut it out because we already knew that
I haven't listened to many 2013 albums that you haven't checked yet since I rarely check new albums as they are harder to download for me. Some bands you might be interested in locking at:

wormlust (just checked it last night), Lithotome, primitive man,blut aus nord, Paysage d'Hiver, botanist (not a fan myself),Moth , Bölzer , Svart Crown, Grave Miasma,Mitochondrion, Nervecide , Castevet , Lychgate, The Meads of Asphodel, Aosoth and Carpe Noctem. My own top 3 from this bunch are blut aus nord, Carpe Noctem and Castevet .
----
14.12.2013 - 01:25
Diverge

Written by mz on 14.12.2013 at 00:01

Written by Diverge on 13.12.2013 at 23:32

I was actually going to point out that I disagree with you #1 album of the year and cut it out because we already knew that
I haven't listened to many 2013 albums that you haven't checked yet since I rarely check new albums as they are harder to download for me. Some bands you might be interested in locking at:

wormlust (just checked it last night), Lithotome, primitive man,blut aus nord, Paysage d'Hiver, botanist (not a fan myself),Moth , Bölzer , Svart Crown, Grave Miasma,Mitochondrion, Nervecide , Castevet , Lychgate, The Meads of Asphodel, Aosoth and Carpe Noctem. My own top 3 from this bunch are blut aus nord, Carpe Noctem and Castevet .

I've actually checked out a few of those bands already (Bolzer, Lychgate, Carpe Noctem), but not thoroughly since school has been absolutely destroying me. Rest assured the last few weeks of December will be productive and I anticipate a lot of changes to my list.
Thanks for consolidating all of those bands I want to check out into one spot.
31.12.2013 - 06:49
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Hey man, I have a suggestion which might interest you. They go by the name Nami and they've got some Persefone influence about them, which is only natural considering that they're also from the small country of Andorra. They must have a thriving prog scene it appears. Anyway this album sounds like what you would get it if you took the progressive tendencies out of The Ocean, removed some of the post-metal and sludge and replaced them with something more akin to Gojira or a very proggy death metal. Some guest appearances from Persefone as well, and also from Rossetti (vocalist from The Ocean).
I've just discovered it recently, and it's a grower!
01.01.2014 - 04:26
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Don't I feel like the biggest horse's ass..."thumbs uping" this list on the last day of the year. Great job - I love the mini-synopsis's you've provided. Also, you and I are in agreement once again: Todtgelichter's release was one of my biggest letdowns in recent memory.
----
rekt
02.01.2014 - 22:24
Diverge

Written by tea[m]ster on 01.01.2014 at 04:26

Don't I feel like the biggest horse's ass..."thumbs uping" this list on the last day of the year. Great job - I love the mini-synopsis's you've provided. Also, you and I are in agreement once again: Todtgelichter's release was one of my biggest letdowns in recent memory.

Cheers, man! I still think that Apnoe was the most disappointing record, and a calamitous step down from Angst. It's just a very strange album; I know what they were trying to accomplish, but it feels like a totally different band now.
Thanks for the +1, and definitely check out Obscure Sphinx if you haven't already. I think it might give your Altar of Plagues #1 spot a bit of a challenge, hehe.
02.01.2014 - 22:25
Diverge

Written by R'Vannith on 31.12.2013 at 06:49

Hey man, I have a suggestion which might interest you. They go by the name Nami and they've got some Persefone influence about them, which is only natural considering that they're also from the small country of Andorra. They must have a thriving prog scene it appears. Anyway this album sounds like what you would get it if you took the progressive tendencies out of The Ocean, removed some of the post-metal and sludge and replaced them with something more akin to Gojira or a very proggy death metal. Some guest appearances from Persefone as well, and also from Rossetti (vocalist from The Ocean).
I've just discovered it recently, and it's a grower!

Holy shit that sounds like something that would be up my alley. I'll let you know how I feel about it, but it certainly sounds like an amazing formula.
02.01.2014 - 22:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Diverge on 02.01.2014 at 22:24

Thanks for the +1, and definitely check out Obscure Sphinx if you haven't already. I think it might give your Altar of Plagues #1 spot a bit of a challenge, hehe.

I literally just did. Just finished listening to it for the first time minutes ago! No bullshit! Ha...too funny!!! Oh, and I love it!
----
rekt
17.01.2014 - 02:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I thought of you when I played this for the second time in two days. It was on my list but at the bottom alphabetically, now it's climbing up the chart... so in case you missed this bombshell, check it.

Vaura - The Missing
----
rekt
17.01.2014 - 04:51
Diverge

Written by tea[m]ster on 17.01.2014 at 02:50

I thought of you when I played this for the second time in two days. It was on my list but at the bottom alphabetically, now it's climbing up the chart... so in case you missed this bombshell, check it.

Vaura - The Missing

I missed this. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll let you know how I feel about it.
18.01.2014 - 10:57
mz

MechT suggested this great band named altars to me a while ago and since they are unnoticed, I'm going to spam them everywhere Did you check them?
Think about the beloved child of gorguts and portal.
----
18.01.2014 - 15:02
Diverge

Written by mz on 18.01.2014 at 10:57

MechT suggested this great band named altars to me a while ago and since they are unnoticed, I'm going to spam them everywhere Did you check them?
Think about the beloved child of gorguts and portal.

I've heard of Altars, but I haven't heard a single track. That definitely sounds up my alley, though. Thanks!
07.04.2014 - 06:06
Coolingsrock

Lot's of descriptive information. very nice. oh and I feel like I need to listen to Ævangelist next.
07.04.2014 - 20:09
Diverge

Written by Coolingsrock on 07.04.2014 at 06:06

Lot's of descriptive information. very nice. oh and I feel like I need to listen to Ævangelist next.

It's not a very widely received record, but it's one that I think marks the path future evolutions of death metal will follow.
Thanks for the comments.
11.10.2014 - 06:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Your lists are awesome, wish I could be as in-depth as you. Loads of discoveries to be found within.
11.10.2014 - 06:57
Diverge

Written by Introspekrieg on 11.10.2014 at 06:32

Your lists are awesome, wish I could be as in-depth as you. Loads of discoveries to be found within.

Appreciate the message, friend. I don't have time to explore metal to this level of depth these days, but I'm definitely trying to maintain my current list even if I cannot make extensive reviews like I did with this one. I'm hoping some time at the beginning of next year I'll have time to unveil my comprehensive alternative metal list; I might send you a message or two for a little bit of advice to see if I'm missing anything key.

Hope you find some good prog selections on here. I have two choice prog/avant-garde cuts, really. Eloa Vadaath really impressed me in 2013, but I think I probably overrated their album on here since I heard it at the end of the year. I also think very fondly of The Prophecy's latest album, which is essentially a melo-doom album AIMED for progheads, imo. It hasn't been as well received as it should be, though, because doom fanboys were outraged and the prog community essentially never noticed it, but I think it's a very valid new template that might be the definitive gateway from prog to doom.
11.10.2014 - 07:51
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Diverge on 11.10.2014 at 06:57

Appreciate the message, friend. I don't have time to explore metal to this level of depth these days, but I'm definitely trying to maintain my current list even if I cannot make extensive reviews like I did with this one. I'm hoping some time at the beginning of next year I'll have time to unveil my comprehensive alternative metal list; I might send you a message or two for a little bit of advice to see if I'm missing anything key.

Hope you find some good prog selections on here. I have two choice prog/avant-garde cuts, really. Eloa Vadaath really impressed me in 2013, but I think I probably overrated their album on here since I heard it at the end of the year. I also think very fondly of The Prophecy's latest album, which is essentially a melo-doom album AIMED for progheads, imo. It hasn't been as well received as it should be, though, because doom fanboys were outraged and the prog community essentially never noticed it, but I think it's a very valid new template that might be the definitive gateway from prog to doom.

Will check them out, as you said unnoticed. What I love about this site is that they value quality over quantity, inactive members who have a lot going on in their lives are usually the most legendary when they decide to share their opinions.
12.10.2014 - 05:25
Diverge

Written by Introspekrieg on 11.10.2014 at 07:51

Will check them out, as you said unnoticed. What I love about this site is that they value quality over quantity, inactive members who have a lot going on in their lives are usually the most legendary when they decide to share their opinions.

That's a mighty comment coming from one of the biggest Internet legends I've seen around these parts. Thank you again.

I'll also pass along Trepalium's newest EP as a suggestion. They've reached a whole new level with their newest work, I think.

Hits total: 6956 | This month: 9