07. Cathedral
08. Night On Earth
09. Lavender
10. Cypher
11. Arteries

Additional info
Produced by Christer André Cederberg
Artwork by Eliran Kantor
The track "Cathedral" is missing on Napalm Records' first CD pressing.

Staff review by
Susan
Rating:
Dear Divided Fanbase of Tristania,

If you found the last album, Rubicon, to be too scattered, or were turned off by the jagged edges and right turns, it's ok: you can come home now. Darkest White is streamlined, focused, and solid as hell. If (like me) you found Rubicon to be quite a masterpiece, then you'll still find the band's haunting essence very present here? and ready to carry you away in gothic bliss like never before.

Read more ››
published 31.05.2013 | Comments (22)

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 536 users
30.05.2013 - 23:06
annodomini

This could be surprise of the year!!!
----
the riddle wants to be...
31.05.2013 - 04:46
Rating: 9
Susan
Smeghead
It's getting ridiculous at this point. How can one band continue to have so many amazing albums? I'll just abandon all hope of ever listing them in order of how much I love them.. there'd be like a 4-way tie in there somewhere.

This really is an album that I can see anyone liking, whether you prefer older or newer Tristania, weird or streamlined Tristania, etc. This is just solid and fucking good.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
31.05.2013 - 05:22
theembryo

I think the esteemed Susuan has said it best here!

I earlier mentioned something along Mariangela not singing in title track, but whatever, I found that actually, each track is first-time listen essentially damned great!

Is available a limited edition with "Cathedral"???
31.05.2013 - 05:49
Susan
Smeghead
Written by theembryo on 31.05.2013 at 05:22

I earlier mentioned something along Mariangela not singing in title track, but whatever, I found that actually, each track is first-time listen essentially damned great!

I noticed that as well. At first I thought she didn't sing enough on this album for my tastes, but eventually I changed my mind. She's not the "lead singer," she's one singer on an incredible team. And the team put out a great album. Plus, she gets like MOST of the amazing melodies here so it's not like she wasn't put to good use

I love her voice. I thought it was more dark, smoky, and raw on Rubicon and I miss that. She seems to have "improved" as a singer but lost a tiny bit of her unique quality. Just a tiny bit. I hate when singers do that. Still amazing, though.

One day I will see them live!!!!!!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
31.05.2013 - 06:46
theembryo

I have seen a video of her perform "Down in a Hole" with Francesco Marras acoustic - her voice seems to be 'matured', if you will, for the setting, but still like I recall. They also do "The Widow". I really dig the sounds on those. I like to check out "Requiem", to compare.....

Oh shit - I just found "Soldier of Fortune" by the two. They should do a damned album!
31.05.2013 - 12:35
Rating: 5
Jeeers

Extremely annoying female vocals - I can't stand her singing. This album melody-wise is a step down from Rubicon. And Rubicon was also a huge dissapointment for myself.
Weak!
The title song is possibly the only song at least passable in my opinion. And I'm not even trying to compare this album to old Tristania - the album is rubbish in its own right.
31.05.2013 - 20:05
Rating: 8
Vonpire

Way superior to Rubicon. In fact after 2nd listen I could say this is very good to my ears.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
31.05.2013 - 21:13
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
I have listened to Darkest White for numerous times now and I find to be Tristania's worst work ever. It's just too bare, nothing fits, except for a few songs, it's so forgettable. They wan't to go extreme and can't carry it, they wanna be atmospheric, but everything get lost in that pile of noise. I liked Rubicon better, and even Rubicon wasn't exactly my cup of tea.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
01.06.2013 - 07:00
Ap46

Don't think it's bad at all, pretty good indeed. But as i said, there are some songs that do nothing for me, they go nowhere and i just can't listen to them when i'm replaying Darkest White. But good nonetheless.
01.06.2013 - 19:35
Rating: 7
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I was hoping for this to be an improvement from the weak-sounding Rubicon, instead I found it boring and predictable. The female vocals don't help either (when they appear), although they are slightly better on here than on Rubicon. Not totally bad though, as couple of good moments here and there.
01.06.2013 - 19:43
Susan
Smeghead
Written by CyberSymphony on 01.06.2013 at 19:35

I was hoping for this to be an improvement from the weak-sounding Rubicon, instead I found it boring and predictable. The female vocals don't help either (when they appear), although they are slightly better on here than on Rubicon. Not totally bad though, as couple of good moments here and there.

That is EXACTLY what I thought after the first spin or two. Let me suggest giving it a few more tries. It takes time to reveal itself!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
01.06.2013 - 21:14
PocketMetal

So far Himmelfall is the best song for me , I really like this album ... it's not hard to please me with Gothic Metal though .
02.06.2013 - 17:51
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Yes, I'm definitely liking this. I like how Mariangela's voice fits the music now, similar to what happened with Anette in Nightwish... it took her one album to successfully melt her voice into the bands sound.
I also dig the music itself a lot more than on the previous one (and Illumination, btw) where I couldn't stand a single track. I'm wondering if Moen took a main role in composition again instead of just one song...

Anyway, I'm happy that these guys put something like this out. I still think they shouldn't carry on with the name Tristania though... but I might consider assisting to their live show this time if they get over here again. I don't know how she handles the old stuff or how much of it they usually play...
03.06.2013 - 15:00
Rating: 7
The Melting Snow

The melodies are great in almost every song, catchy and deep. The vocals are attractive. Lyrics get high marks too.

But the music seems so non existent. One would expect frequent keyboards, violins and an occasional riff here and there... but all I hear are similar guitar intros with no attraction at all...
03.06.2013 - 18:27
Erik M.

After one listen I'm going to say it's better than I expected. However, it's still rather mediocre and nothing compared to the first few albums.

The female as well as the male vocals are annoying and whiny sometimes, especially when both vocals are combined (like on the song Scarling, which I didn't like at all because of this reason). There isn't much originality and overall it sounds a bit too "poppy" for my taste. This is really good music for people who aren't into metal and are just getting into the genre, since it's very tame metal.

It actually reminds me of Ashes quite a bit, although I think Ashes is definitely a lot better than this, because it has Vibeke who is by far the superior singer, but also because it's less poppy and has a more magical feeling to it.
03.06.2013 - 21:50
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 03.06.2013 at 21:40

So this is where the leftovers from the three previous albums ended up. I find all the vocals annoying, the This Part Here Is Dangerous-clichés very tiring, and what comes to their current style; it's way too poppy and lacking ideas.

Totally agreed.
03.06.2013 - 23:29
Rating: 1
Ismarmlp

"Darkest White" is a real shit. Pete Johanssen collaborated on "Rubicon" (which also sucks), but "Darkest White" is even worse. I suffered a lot to hear that shit.
04.06.2013 - 12:54
Rating: 10
Ethan1994

Written by Unhealer on 02.06.2013 at 17:51

Yes, I'm definitely liking this. I like how Mariangela's voice fits the music now, similar to what happened with Anette in Nightwish... it took her one album to successfully melt her voice into the bands sound.
I also dig the music itself a lot more than on the previous one (and Illumination, btw) where I couldn't stand a single track. I'm wondering if Moen took a main role in composition again instead of just one song...

Anyway, I'm happy that these guys put something like this out. I still think they shouldn't carry on with the name Tristania though... but I might consider assisting to their live show this time if they get over here again. I don't know how she handles the old stuff or how much of it they usually play...

On the iTunes downloads of these songs, the composer is listed as such on all songs: "Mariangela Demurtas, Kjetil Nordhus, Anders Høyvik Hidle, Ole Vistnes, Tarald Lie & Christer André Cederberg". So, I don't think Einar helped much with the composition on this album. When somebody asked them on their Facebook page if Einar is still a member of the band, they responded, "Yes, but he hasn't had an active role in Darkest White." Hopefully we'll see more of his writing in the next one.
04.06.2013 - 17:01
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Ethan1994 on 04.06.2013 at 12:54

On the iTunes downloads of these songs, the composer is listed as such on all songs: "Mariangela Demurtas, Kjetil Nordhus, Anders Høyvik Hidle, Ole Vistnes, Tarald Lie & Christer André Cederberg". So, I don't think Einar helped much with the composition on this album. When somebody asked them on their Facebook page if Einar is still a member of the band, they responded, "Yes, but he hasn't had an active role in Darkest White." Hopefully we'll see more of his writing in the next one.

That makes sense. It's a beautiful and excellent album but at times it does feel like it lacks some of the "Tristania" sound we've had on the other albums.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
04.06.2013 - 19:46
Rasa

Written by Susan on 04.06.2013 at 17:01

Written by Ethan1994 on 04.06.2013 at 12:54

That makes sense. It's a beautiful and excellent album but at times it does feel like it lacks some of the "Tristania" sound we've had on the other albums.

And what is "Tristania sound"?
05.06.2013 - 05:00
Susan
Smeghead
Quote:
Written by Rasa on 04.06.2013 at 19:46

I have tried but can't quite put my finger on it. There is a certain "spooky" vibe they usually have that here has been replaced by a more "sad" vibe. Stunningly beautiful, but just a tiny bit different. Sorry, I can't explain better than that!

And I really miss Østen Bergøy's vocals. His rich bass brought so much more to that band than I ever realized till he was gone! Thought that's not really what I was referring to above. Just commenting on his beautiful voice.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
05.06.2013 - 05:42
Rasa

Quote:
Written by Susan on 05.06.2013 at 05:00

Written by Rasa on 04.06.2013 at 19:46

I have tried but can't quite put my finger on it. There is a certain "spooky" vibe they usually have that here has been replaced by a more "sad" vibe. Stunningly beautiful, but just a tiny bit different. Sorry, I can't explain better than that!

And I really miss Østen Bergøy's vocals. His rich bass brought so much more to that band than I ever realized till he was gone! Thought that's not really what I was referring to above. Just commenting on his beautiful voice.

Well, for me Tristania's sound changed with times. Like in late '90s they sounded gothic in every sense of the word as the "gothic metal" genre was at it's peak with bands like Theatre of Tragedy and so on, and they kept changing. I mean, come on, you can't possibly hope for them to release another Beyond the Veil in 2013. As much as I loved their music from that period these times are long gone.

Totally agree with you about Østen, though. When I first started listening to Tristania some years ago I couldn't stand his vocals, I mean really, couldn't! But after a while I started to dig this hollow baritone of his and was indeed sadened when I heard he is leaving.. So foolish of me. And most of my favourite lyrics of Tristania are written by him, so yeah.. double loss (in no way saying that they are bad now, but he has this distinctive type of writing).
07.06.2013 - 18:32
Rating: 6
Kajisu

Written by Erik M. on 03.06.2013 at 18:27

After one listen I'm going to say it's better than I expected. However, it's still rather mediocre and nothing compared to the first few albums.

The female as well as the male vocals are annoying and whiny sometimes, especially when both vocals are combined (like on the song Scarling, which I didn't like at all because of this reason). There isn't much originality and overall it sounds a bit too "poppy" for my taste. This is really good music for people who aren't into metal and are just getting into the genre, since it's very tame metal.

It actually reminds me of Ashes quite a bit, although I think Ashes is definitely a lot better than this, because it has Vibeke who is by far the superior singer, but also because it's less poppy and has a more magical feeling to it.

totally agree with you.
07.06.2013 - 20:20
chrisʇrenounced

Requiem is the best individual song of Tristania's career, pre and post Morten. Kjetil's vocal harmonies are magical.
08.06.2013 - 03:51
Susan
Smeghead
Written by chrisʇrenounced on 07.06.2013 at 20:20

Requiem is the best individual song of Tristania's career, pre and post Morten. Kjetil's vocal harmonies are magical.

That's a bold claim BUT the syncopation they use in Requiem: damn! Gets my attention every time. Magical indeed!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
09.06.2013 - 17:05
Erik M.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
12.06.2013 - 10:35
Jeeers

Wow, LOL!
13.06.2013 - 19:55
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro

You just went full retard dude, never go full retard! (no offense )

Requiem is a good song, but it's not even the best from this album, let alone from their entire discography. Darkest White is their second worst album, even though I still like it a lot.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
13.06.2013 - 20:25
chrisʇrenounced

Written by Dark Forever on 13.06.2013 at 19:55

You just went full retard dude, never go full retard! (no offense )

Requiem is a good song, but it's not even the best from this album, let alone from their entire discography. Darkest White is their second worst album, even though I still like it a lot.

Wow that's cool. Sure, man.
13.06.2013 - 21:44
Erik M.

Written by Jeeers on 12.06.2013 at 10:35

Wow, LOL!

Indeed. Although I must admit I was actually laughing when I read that... or crying... or both, I don't know. All I know is that it's his opinion and my opinion is that his opinion is totally ridiculous. Sorry if I'm being harsh, but some things I just can't ignore... That being said, the guy has redeemed himself in my book by handing out a 10 to Old Mornings Dawn.

Hits total: 13475 | This month: 27