11 - Slaves Shall Serve
    12 - Chant For ΕΣΧΗΑΤΟΝ 2000
    13 - 23 (The Youth Manifesto)
    14 - Lucifer
02. The Satanist: Oblivion

Top 20 albums of 2014: 3

Additional info
Deluxe box set includes:
  • Black 10" boxset (with gold hot foil & UV gloss lamination).
  • CD/DVD digibook in silver mirror slipcase (44 page booklet).
  • Supersize posterflag (approx 3x5 feet).
  • Black wooden inverted rosary cross.
  • Metal pin.
  • Black communion waffles in black envelope.

Produced by Behemoth.
    Co-produced by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy and Daniel Bergstrand.
    Engineered by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy.
    Drum tech by Urban Näsvall.
    Recorded at Hertz Studio by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy, February-June 2013 e.v.
    Additional recording at Dug-Out, Radio Gdańsk, Sounsgreat Studio.
    Mixed by Matt Hyde at Hideaway Studio, Los Angeles, August-September 2013 e.v.
    Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, September-October 2013 e.v.

All art and calligraphy by Denis Forkas.

The excerpt from Witold Gombrowicz's 'Ślub' in the song 'In The Abscence Ov Light' used with the kind permission of Rita Gombrowicz.

• Staff review by
    wormdrink414
    Rating:
    Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to.

Read more ››
    published 12.02.2014 | Comments (215)

Guest review by
    flightoficarus
    Rating:
    What's my favorite scary movie? The Shining. With its subtle, psychological terror and slow-build that only Kubrick can pull off, it's a masterpiece. Sure, I get down with the gore-ridden creature features too. Everything from Evil Dead to Friday the 13th is cool in my book. Why is this relevant? Aliens. Okay, now you are more confused. Let me elaborate further. I think a lot of long-time fans come to a Behemoth album expecting a certain level of violence. Demigod, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus; these classics are the "Aliens" of the Behemoth discography. Explosions, flame-throwers, disembowelment, "Game over man, game over!" I'm right with you, popcorn ready. The Satanist, on the other hand, is "Alien." Swarms of xenomorphs are replaced with a single, lurking threat in the shadows. The emphasis is on tension as each innocent is picked off one by one and dragged to their grim (and unseen) demise. While both styles are equally valid, I find the imagination to be a far darker place than anything directly fed to my senses.

Read more ››
    published 09.02.2015 | Comments (42)

Starting with Demigod, Behemoth's albums became more and more soulless. Faster, more brutal, better produced, but devoid of feelings. But no more. This one is spontaneous, wild, unhinged and unpredictable. It has more music than brutality, more feeling than calculation. A fantastic treat.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 111 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 4 / 10

Comments: 278   Visited by: 2427 users
    06.02.2014 - 15:03
    Rating: 9
    s_t_s

Written by ZepaR on 06.02.2014 at 00:29

Written by s_t_s on 05.02.2014 at 14:42

Need to listen to it a bit more before making a firm opinion but so far it sounds nice but not so brutal nor "powerful" as Evangelion for instance. I guess that Behemoth are like Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir, ie growing mature hence not as dark as they used to be. But as said before, I need to give it a few tries before making sure about my feelings

cradle of filth or dimmu borgir!?!?!?!?!
    now, i laugh a lot for your post
    are you ok?? why rigmarole defiance, what do you say for yourself?
    go and listen to BehemotH a lot...then you can understand the things ov behemoth and black metal (death)...
    hey my friend go and kill yourself
    i am waiting for your funeral...it should be dark when i am hearse

I don't know if I should waste time answering this kind of comment... If someone understood it all please forward

To make things clear I like all CoF albums even tho the latest one really lacks identity. The same goes with Dimmu Borgir, tho I enjoy Abrahadabra but would love to see them making music without a 50 person orchestra As for Behemoth, what I meant was that this album reminds me of CoF or DB as it is very different from what they used to do before. Now that I have listened to the full album I think that it definitely lacks something. It sounds good but is not typical of Behemoth. It's not brutal nor powerful and it finds me a bit bored in the end. Maybe I expected too much from it.

@Zepar : I feel sorry for your mental disease ^^
    06.02.2014 - 15:17
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    I really don't understand all the raving about this album.

I'll now go back to Satanica, Thelema.6 and Zos Kia Cultus (Here And Beyond). That's where it's at with Behemoth truly the Pinnacle of their career.
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2014 - 16:16
    Booooooring, sounds like cv
    06.02.2014 - 16:28
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by Reality03 on 06.02.2014 at 16:01

Is it really that bad, because you rate it with a 5?

5 = extremely average and mediocre, not "bad". Competent musicianship, understanding of instrumentation and orchestration but almost no quality and memorable songwriting or variation. I imagine that's how Marcel feels about this, because that's certainly how I do.
    06.02.2014 - 17:09
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Written by Reality03 on 06.02.2014 at 16:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2014 at 15:17

I really don't understand all the raving about this album.

I'll now go back to Satanica, Thelema.6 and Zos Kia Cultus (Here And Beyond). That's where it's at with Behemoth truly the Pinnacle of their career.

Is it really that bad, because you rate it with a 5?

The album is not good. It is below average (which is a 6) so it deserves a 5 (which means not good here). A 7 means good, which it is not.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.02.2014 - 18:15
    VonMal

Stunningly good.
    06.02.2014 - 18:51
    ZepaR

Written by s_t_s on 06.02.2014 at 15:03

I don't know if I should waste time answering this kind of comment... If someone understood it all please forward

To make things clear I like all CoF albums even tho the latest one really lacks identity. The same goes with Dimmu Borgir, tho I enjoy Abrahadabra but would love to see them making music without a 50 person orchestra As for Behemoth, what I meant was that this album reminds me of CoF or DB as it is very different from what they used to do before. Now that I have listened to the full album I think that it definitely lacks something. It sounds good but is not typical of Behemoth. It's not brutal nor powerful and it finds me a bit bored in the end. Maybe I expected too much from it.

@Zepar : I feel sorry for your mental disease ^^

ha ha okay you are right.
    anyway, this band is great with the satanist album.
    07.02.2014 - 05:00
    Auntie Sahar
    Drone Empress
    Through my second listen, and I really am enjoying this. Not excellent, but not too shabby either. Definitely feels more dynamic than Demigod and the terribly generic death metal album that was The Apostasy. Evangelion showed a possible step up, and the band delivered here. However, it's still nothing overly grandiose to the point of blowing your socks off. Typical Behemoth, with some minor improvements. I'd give it a 7, maybe a 7.5
    ----
    I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
    07.02.2014 - 06:17
    Rating: 10
    LascaillesShroud

Some of Nergal's best lyrics as well on this one. A perfect score for me after about 20 listens.
    07.02.2014 - 06:26
    LascaillesShroud

Since it came out. I have an hour-plus ride to work, so there and back I get 2 listens. Plus at home an easy 3-4 more. It's only about 45 minutes so it's easy to rack up the listens of this album
    07.02.2014 - 07:58
    Written by LascaillesShroud on 07.02.2014 at 06:17

Some of Nergal's best lyrics as well on this one. A perfect score for me after about 20 listens.

Lyrics? all t"he lyrics" in this album are: Satan, Satan, Hell, (rare god name) , satan, illuminati .
    07.02.2014 - 11:34
    s_t_s

Hmm definitely I'm not getting into it... Will listen again to Evangelion to compare both.
    07.02.2014 - 12:29
    Rating: 5
    doom777

This band is really boring!
    07.02.2014 - 14:40
    boo-boo

Written by doom777 on 07.02.2014 at 12:29

This band is really boring!

That's a bit too harsh to say I guess.
    ----
    World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.
    07.02.2014 - 14:52
    Uldreth

Come on, the lyrics on this are terrible, hahah.

What little I have heard from this album music-wise is actually not bad, which frankly surprised me as I didn't think I'd like this but lyrics are terrible. Not just in terms of meaning, or lack of thereof, but they also sound quite bad and have really bad flow. I know it is extreme metal, so stuff don't have to rhyme and all but this would even sound awkward if it was read up in prose.
    07.02.2014 - 18:46
    Unhealer
    Eclecticist
    Written by Uldreth on 07.02.2014 at 14:52

I know it is extreme metal, so stuff don't have to rhyme and all but this would even sound awkward if it was read up in prose.

There's no such rule that in extreme metal lyrics don't have to rhyme And the prose thing applies to 95% of metal lyrics probably
    07.02.2014 - 18:48
    Uldreth

Written by Unhealer on 07.02.2014 at 18:46

I know it is extreme metal, so stuff don't have to rhyme and all but this would even sound awkward if it was read up in prose.

There's no such rule that in extreme metal lyrics don't have to rhyme And the prose thing applies to 95% of metal lyrics probably

There is no such rule indeed, but if you clean sing and your lyrics don't rhyme in any way they often come out awkward. If you growl or scream them then that problem evaporates.

And yeah but in general I think most metal lyrics suck. Not a lyricist's genre by any means hahah.
    07.02.2014 - 20:55
    Rating: 8
    Skl3ros

Very mixed feelings about this album. drums are the best I've heard in a loooooong time but still not as good as their previous stuff. some parts sound very un-behemothish and besides a few moments I haven't been impressed that much. (which previous albums did but maybe my taste also just changed)
    album is overall enjoyable and luckily better then expected but it's not a new behemoth masterpiece.
    07.02.2014 - 21:04
    Rating: 7
    Hex_Omega
    Gem Seeker
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.02.2014 at 15:17

After hearing their entire discography I have to say that Zos Kia Cultus and Demigod are the best. The Satanist is somewhere in the middle.
    07.02.2014 - 23:04
    Soheil KD

I rate it 10 because this is amazing
    08.02.2014 - 01:31
    LascaillesShroud

Come on, the lyrics on this are terrible, hahah.

What little I have heard from this album music-wise is actually not bad, which frankly surprised me as I didn't think I'd like this but lyrics are terrible. Not just in terms of meaning, or lack of thereof, but they also sound quite bad and have really bad flow. I know it is extreme metal, so stuff don't have to rhyme and all but this would even sound awkward if it was read up in prose.

Since you have heard so little, I don't really take anything you say with anything other than laughable apathy. When you hear the whole, then I'll just probably completely apathetic. Amazing work in every facet of this album.
    08.02.2014 - 02:02
    Uldreth

Written by LascaillesShroud on 08.02.2014 at 01:31

Since you have heard so little, I don't really take anything you say with anything other than laughable apathy. When you hear the whole, then I'll just probably completely apathetic. Amazing work in every facet of this album.

I have read all the lyrics. But as I said they suck major ass, and I have not commented on anything else really. Aside from the laughable lyrics, probably this would turn out to be another generic "satanic" extreme metal release with some occasionally enjoyable, but absolutely generic music and totally ridiculous and unnecessary imagery that only serves to convince me more and more how childish this genre is .
    08.02.2014 - 03:15
    LascaillesShroud

And yet, the album is still perfect.
    08.02.2014 - 03:37
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Some people are really easily pleased since this album is just not good at all, even within the Behemoth discography it sits underneath the middle era. Damn, it is surprising how loads of people really do believe the hype.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2014 - 04:40
    LascaillesShroud

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2014 at 03:37

Some people are really easily pleased since this album is just not good at all, even within the Behemoth discography it sits underneath the middle era. Damn, it is surprising how loads of people really do believe the hype.

Or maybe...just maybe...your opinion is just your opinion?

I can easily say it's amazing how many people don't hear the perfection, and I am no less wrong or right than you.
    08.02.2014 - 04:50
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Written by LascaillesShroud on 08.02.2014 at 04:40

Or maybe...just maybe...your opinion is just your opinion?

I can easily say it's amazing how many people don't hear the perfection, and I am no less wrong or right than you.

Let's put it this way... Lover's gonna lo\ve. And that is totally clear with this album. There is totally no perfection in this album whatsoever, first of alll the lyrics are totally bad and secondly the music is as mundane as it can get in this subgenre.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.02.2014 - 07:06
    LascaillesShroud

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2014 at 04:50

Let's put it this way... Lover's gonna lo\ve. And that is totally clear with this album. There is totally no perfection in this album whatsoever, first of alll the lyrics are totally bad and secondly the music is as mundane as it can get in this subgenre.

So basically, you don't understand the word opinion? Could of just said that.
    08.02.2014 - 11:07
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.02.2014 at 04:50

Let's put it this way... Lover's gonna lo\ve.

And haters gonna hate.
    08.02.2014 - 12:05
    X-Ray Rod
    Skandino
    Considering the responses by some of you, it's clear that the lovers are more agressive than the haters.
    ----
    Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
    Like you could kiss my ass
    Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
    Rod, let me love you.
    08.02.2014 - 15:37
    LascaillesShroud

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.02.2014 at 12:05

Considering the responses by some of you, it's clear that the lovers are more agressive than the haters.

Hits total: 54778 | This month: 66