11 - Slaves Shall Serve
    12 - Chant For ΕΣΧΗΑΤΟΝ 2000
    13 - 23 (The Youth Manifesto)
    14 - Lucifer
02. The Satanist: Oblivion

Top 20 albums of 2014: 3

Additional info
Deluxe box set includes:
  • Black 10" boxset (with gold hot foil & UV gloss lamination).
  • CD/DVD digibook in silver mirror slipcase (44 page booklet).
  • Supersize posterflag (approx 3x5 feet).
  • Black wooden inverted rosary cross.
  • Metal pin.
  • Black communion waffles in black envelope.

Produced by Behemoth.
    Co-produced by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy and Daniel Bergstrand.
    Engineered by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy.
    Drum tech by Urban Näsvall.
    Recorded at Hertz Studio by Wojtek and Sławek Wiesławscy, February-June 2013 e.v.
    Additional recording at Dug-Out, Radio Gdańsk, Sounsgreat Studio.
    Mixed by Matt Hyde at Hideaway Studio, Los Angeles, August-September 2013 e.v.
    Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, September-October 2013 e.v.

All art and calligraphy by Denis Forkas.

The excerpt from Witold Gombrowicz's 'Ślub' in the song 'In The Abscence Ov Light' used with the kind permission of Rita Gombrowicz.

• Staff review by
    wormdrink414
    Rating:
    Not too many bands could throw a spoken-word, Kenny G sax muzak thing into the middle of a song called "In The Absence Ov Light" and not get laughed away into obscurity. Behemoth can get away with shit like that. They're just too cool to be dismissed. They sound cool and, with a theatrical sense that rivals well over half a Lady Gaga, they LOOK cool. I mean, I'm not gay, but I'd let Nergal and Orion double team me if they still want to.

Read more ››
    published 12.02.2014 | Comments (215)

Guest review by
    flightoficarus
    Rating:
    What's my favorite scary movie? The Shining. With its subtle, psychological terror and slow-build that only Kubrick can pull off, it's a masterpiece. Sure, I get down with the gore-ridden creature features too. Everything from Evil Dead to Friday the 13th is cool in my book. Why is this relevant? Aliens. Okay, now you are more confused. Let me elaborate further. I think a lot of long-time fans come to a Behemoth album expecting a certain level of violence. Demigod, Thelema.6, Zos Kia Cultus; these classics are the "Aliens" of the Behemoth discography. Explosions, flame-throwers, disembowelment, "Game over man, game over!" I'm right with you, popcorn ready. The Satanist, on the other hand, is "Alien." Swarms of xenomorphs are replaced with a single, lurking threat in the shadows. The emphasis is on tension as each innocent is picked off one by one and dragged to their grim (and unseen) demise. While both styles are equally valid, I find the imagination to be a far darker place than anything directly fed to my senses.

Read more ››
    published 09.02.2015 | Comments (42)

Starting with Demigod, Behemoth's albums became more and more soulless. Faster, more brutal, better produced, but devoid of feelings. But no more. This one is spontaneous, wild, unhinged and unpredictable. It has more music than brutality, more feeling than calculation. A fantastic treat.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 111 lists
    Top lists

Comments page 5 / 10

Comments: 278   Visited by: 2428 users
    08.02.2014 - 17:28
    Rating: 9
    Dark Forever
    Ruído Sonoro
    Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 07.02.2014 at 07:58

Written by LascaillesShroud on 07.02.2014 at 06:17

Some of Nergal's best lyrics as well on this one. A perfect score for me after about 20 listens.

Lyrics? all t"he lyrics" in this album are: Satan, Satan, Hell, (rare god name) , satan, illuminati .

Satan and hell appear 6 times each on the lyrics, illuminati not even once. As for god/demons names, the only ones that appear are Akephalos twice and Agathos Daimon once in the last song. After a quick copy paste of the lyrics on Notepad++ and checking the word count, all the things you said combined consist of 1% of the lyrics. If you're gonna criticize something, at least do it for valid reasons
    ----
    Taste the DARK...
    ... and you'll live FOREVER!
    08.02.2014 - 19:04
    Zap
    Written by Dark Forever on 08.02.2014 at 17:28

Satan and hell appear 6 times each on the lyrics, illuminati not even once. As for god/demons names, the only ones that appear are Akephalos twice and Agathos Daimon once in the last song. After a quick copy paste of the lyrics on Notepad++ and checking the word count, all the things you said combined consist of 1% of the lyrics. If you're gonna criticize something, at least do it for valid reasons

Is the word count by any chance 666?
    08.02.2014 - 19:09
    Dark Forever
    Ruído Sonoro
    Written by Zap on 08.02.2014 at 19:04

----
    Taste the DARK...
    ... and you'll live FOREVER!
    08.02.2014 - 19:15
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by Dark Forever on 08.02.2014 at 19:09

So close to 1349.
    08.02.2014 - 21:41
    koob

Written by Zap on 08.02.2014 at 19:04

I died hahahaha
    08.02.2014 - 22:05
    Chobo_jokeR

I was initially unimpressed by the album, but after several more listens I have come to enjoy it quite a bit. It's certainly been a grower.
    08.02.2014 - 22:16
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by Chobo_jokeR on 08.02.2014 at 22:05

I was initially unimpressed by the album, but after several more listens I have come to enjoy it quite a bit. It's certainly been a grower.

It's a grower. Now I like it even more than I did initially. the album breathes and lives. It's devoid of that soulless, calculated clinical technicality that permeated The Apostasy and Evangelion. It seems more honest and straightforward.
    08.02.2014 - 22:25
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.02.2014 at 12:05

Considering the responses by some of you, it's clear that the lovers are more agressive than the haters.

The album's biggest hindrance on the way to appreciation is the hype. If The Satanist was released by an obscure band from out of nowhere, it'd be hailed as a revelation.
    08.02.2014 - 22:28
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by Daniell on 08.02.2014 at 22:25

The album's biggest hindrance on the way to appreciation is the hype. If The Satanist was released by an obscure band from out of nowhere, it'd be hailed as a revelation.

Not by me it wouldn't There's nothing revelatory about this album at all.
    08.02.2014 - 22:31
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by Guest on 08.02.2014 at 22:28

Not by me it wouldn't There's nothing revelatory about this album at all.

you know what? I think this is just good music. Forget genres, contexts, expectations, names and ideologies. This album is simply a set of good, memorable songs. Very much unlike what Behemoth has made us grow accustomed to, but great nevertheless.
    08.02.2014 - 22:34
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by Daniell on 08.02.2014 at 22:31

you know what? I think this is just good music. Forget genres, contexts, expectations, names and ideologies. This album is simply a set of good, memorable songs. Very much unlike what Behemoth has made us grow accustomed to, but great nevertheless.

I'm glad you think so. To me this is lifeless, soulless drivel, regardless of genres, contexts, expectations, names and ideologies.
    08.02.2014 - 22:47
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by Guest on 08.02.2014 at 22:34

I'm glad you think so. To me this is lifeless, soulless drivel, regardless of genres, contexts, expectations, names and ideologies.

As long as your opinion is unbiased, I'm perfectly fine with it.
    08.02.2014 - 22:59
    Hellcult

And this is where the nasty surprise comes when You do think it can't go any better and it is their top ov a mountain,
    than their serve us ' The Satanist' an album which i have desired since fantastic ' Evangelion '
    and hmm what can i say it is incredible and it will last for long in my hi-fi
    ----
    And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
    And Darkness falls upon the end of history
    While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
    08.02.2014 - 23:17
    Chobo_jokeR

Written by Daniell on 08.02.2014 at 22:16

Written by Chobo_jokeR on 08.02.2014 at 22:05

It's a grower. Now I like it even more than I did initially. the album breathes and lives. It's devoid of that soulless, calculated clinical technicality that permeated The Apostasy and Evangelion. It seems more honest and straightforward.

I absolutely 100% agree with those comments. I feel like Nergal gave a pretty good description of the album before it was released. I was expecting just another blast-fest and everything played as fast as possible, but this album has a nice ebb and flow to it. It picks up and slows down. I think he called it "organic" or something along those lines, and I'd agree with that. I've been able to listen to it while at home focusing on just the music, while working and while working out. Depending on which of these activities I'm doing at the time, I've picked up something that I hadn't noticed before in the album. It's not going to be my favourite this year ,I wouldn't think, but it is one hell of a start to it.
    09.02.2014 - 01:37
    Rating: 6
    Boxcar Willy
    yr a kook
    I should prolly listen to this.
    ----
    14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
    I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
    09.02.2014 - 01:45
    Rating: 8
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.02.2014 at 01:37
    I should prolly listen to this.

Same. It's interesting reading all the different opinions but eventually I'm just gonna have to hear it myself.
    ----
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    09.02.2014 - 02:37
    ManiacBlasphemer
    Black Knight
    Wow, I read someone saying that the lyrics are stupid. Well, expecting something different than the overall trademark of Behemoth is entirely out of the question, but stupid? The only song that really has stupid lyrics is the self titled one. The rest have some of the most inteligent lyrics you could ever find.

Here is an in depth review of lyrical meanings for all songs:

http://www.steelforbrains.com/post/75844795838/behemoth-the-satanist

Now, off to the music, I think that this album represents the identity of Behemoth. It is clear that, unlike other albums where the gang preferred to go all out brutal, this one has some consistency and it is more dynamic. Somebody here called it 'organic' which is a very nice word for this record.

If anything, The Satanist is Behemoth's best, not only because of the concepts behind the lyrics, but musical-wise too. While it is still way too soon to call it the best album of the year, it is a serious contender for that place.
    09.02.2014 - 11:19
    Rating: 7
    Hex_Omega
    Gem Seeker
    It looks like this album is a "hate it or love it" one, but to be honest I don't know why. This album is not as controversial as some people think. For me its just a typical Behemoth album. They have not changed their style. This is still Blackened Death Metal, a bit more blackish this time, nothing new.
    09.02.2014 - 11:25
    Risto
    Wandering Midget
    Firmly heading to the Top 200 of All Time list. If this is really that good according to most people then I don't think I'll bother with the rest of the catalog.
    09.02.2014 - 13:21
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by Risto on 09.02.2014 at 11:25

Firmly heading to the Top 200 of All Time list. If this is really that good according to most people then I don't think I'll bother with the rest of the catalog.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't check out Zos Kia Cultus. Great record that.
    09.02.2014 - 13:57
    X-Ray Rod
    Skandino
    Disservice is an understatement... Honestly, who would say "this album is great, I won't bother with the rest of the potentially great catalogue". Huh?
    ----
    Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
    Like you could kiss my ass
    Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
    Rod, let me love you.
    09.02.2014 - 15:56
    Rating: 6
    Cynic Metalhead
    Paisa Vich Nasha
    Written by Guest on 06.02.2014 at 16:28

Written by Reality03 on 06.02.2014 at 16:01

Is it really that bad, because you rate it with a 5?

5 = extremely average and mediocre, not "bad". Competent musicianship, understanding of instrumentation and orchestration but almost no quality and memorable songwriting or variation. I imagine that's how Marcel feels about this, because that's certainly how I do.

It's amusing that one of the staff picked up this record and rated it 9 while guys you have rated it extremely average. No no, i'm not heating up the flame and have a fight. I'm totally with you on this.

The Satanist doesn't have anything except of groovy elements in some songs. Groovy elements.

If you comparing with Zos Kia and Satanica, this is worse than Demigod(I found it, well, good).
    09.02.2014 - 16:03
    Risto
    Wandering Midget
    Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.02.2014 at 13:57

Honestly, who would say "this album is great, I won't bother with the rest of the potentially great catalogue". Huh?

Except this album isn't great Could've worded that post better to be honest.

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 09.02.2014 at 15:56

The Satanist doesn't have anything except of groovy elements in some songs. Groovy elements.

Pretty much the problem here, at least the opening track is interesting.
    09.02.2014 - 16:08
    X-Ray Rod
    Skandino
    Written by Risto on 09.02.2014 at 16:03

Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.02.2014 at 13:57

Honestly, who would say "this album is great, I won't bother with the rest of the potentially great catalogue". Huh?

Except this album isn't great

I completely missunderstood your post then. Sorry, but back to the topic: You should really check out Satanica, Thelema and Zos Kia Cultus (the last one being my personal favorite). Easily their best triology of balanced and solid black/death metal.
    ----
    Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
    Like you could kiss my ass
    Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
    Rod, let me love you.
    09.02.2014 - 16:41
    s_t_s

Been listening to Demigod, The Apostasy and Evangelion again and there's no doubt I think Behemoth is missing something on this new album Will check older releases instead, maybe I'll get that "rage and power" feeling again
    10.02.2014 - 02:16
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Good job feeding the troll everyone. Now let's get back to bitching about how bad this is or jerking off over its brilliance.
    ----
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    10.02.2014 - 04:34
    DyingWorld

I have yet to listen to this album in full but what I have heard from it sounds like their most interesting work since "Demigod."
    10.02.2014 - 09:37
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Finally listened to this (twice) - can't explain the hype, the rating, or the hate. Behemoth's best in over a decade but too inconsistent and mundane at times to be considered a masterpiece.
    ----
    10.02.2014 - 13:19
    !J.O.O.E.!
    Account deleted
    Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.02.2014 at 09:37

Finally listened to this (twice) - can't explain the hype, the rating, or the hate. Behemoth's best in over a decade but too inconsistent and mundane at times to be considered a masterpiece.

I don't think "hate" is necessarily accurate. Criticism probably just looks like hate when reflected off the deluge of blind-love going on here.
    10.02.2014 - 15:06
    Daniell
    _爱情_
    Written by Guest on 10.02.2014 at 13:19

I don't think "hate" is necessarily accurate. Criticism probably just looks like hate when reflected off the deluge of blind-love going on here.

Love can be blind, but criticism can't?

Hits total: 54793 | This month: 81