07. The Beginning Of Sorrow
08. The Blackest Crow
09. Forget To Remember
10. Don't Turn Your Back...
11. Cold Sweat [Thin Lizzy cover]
12. All I Want [limited edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
13. A House Divided [limited edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
14. Symphony Of Destruction [Live in Pomona, CA] [Japanese bonus]

So MegadavE is back with album 14 now (Jebus, really, that many? I stopped paying attention after The Black Alb?Countdown To Disappointment about 20 years ago!), entitled Supercollider.

It seems across the interw3b there have been a lot of super-deriders, but the band is of significant enough stature that we really should review them and since no one else at Metal Storm Towers was chomping at the bit, I figured I'd take this on as a change of pace from Slavic doom.

Supercollider starts off well enough with "Children of the Grave" errrr "Kingmaker". While it's not the Megadeth I grew up with, it's about on par with what I'd expect from them since the opening strains of "Skin O' My Teeth" off Countdown left me every bit as let down as The Black Album. Upbeat tune, some Satriani-like wah-drenched, two-hand tapped soli? but none of the anger, venom, balls, vigor, aggression, attitude that they once had. You know what made Megadeth well, Megadeth.

The anti-bullying campaign insists "it gets better", but in the case of Supercollider it doesn't.

Sure, there are lots of impressive solo bits to air-guitar along to and the production is a hell of a lot better than, say, World Painted Magnetic, but the tracks themselves just fell largely listless and limp.

Take the e-chugging primary riff off the first half or so of "Dance In the Rain" - it's got some rapid e-string chugging going on, just like my favorite Megadeth riff (the asphalt ripping one off "Good Mourning/Black Friday"), but the song flow around it makes the whole song feel lethargic. At least that song erupts a bit at the end.

Too much of the album just feels like it's trying to walk the line between having some sort of edge, but doing so without sacrificing playability on your average hard/classic rock station.

The album isn't terrible. It's not mortifying horrid, but it's not particularly good either. I mean it's well produced and created by skilled musicians, but it just doesn't have the grit or bite that I was hoping for. I honestly cannot imagine myself intentionally queuing this one again once the review gets posted.

And "Cold Sweat"? suffice it to say somehow Megadeth manage to do pretty much to Thin Lizzy's track what Winger did to Hendrix' "Purple Haze". (Click here if feeling masochistic.) Somehow they managed to suck all the soul and life out of the track. A lot like their "Paranoid", the notes are there, but somehow the "it" that made the original so significant is absent.

But hey, I'm sure a lot of folks will love it. At least it's not Risk, right? Then again, at least there was some risk to Risk...

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written on 02.06.2013 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 65   Visited by: 1010 users
03.06.2013 - 22:20
bblitz

Yes,album is not good,I agree,but please for the reviewer,why do you have to mention
metallica's shame which was black album?Ha? Countdown for extinction was NOT megadeth's
black album for sure,therefor it is one of the finest pieces of metal history ever created,c'mon people
stop putting metallica together with this holy band!Only a die hard metallica fan can talk like you so there...
03.06.2013 - 23:19
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 03.06.2013 at 07:57

But to me, as someone who did appreciate a lot of that material, there is quite a big, noticeable difference in quality between an album like say, "Youthanasia" and "Super Collider". Someone who just can't get to grips with the commercial aspect probably can't see much difference, but to me it's clear one thing the former album has that the latter album doesn't, is cohesion. It feels like a focussed, cohesive effort. Also, back in the early 90's, Dave's voice was in much better shape than it is now.

My only gripe with Youth is that for a long album, the lack of variation on offer can be a bit grating. But individually, I can't fault the songs themselves. Whereas on "Super Collider", it's the content of the songs themselves that is the issue. There's 2, maybe 3 songs on there that I'd say would warrant inclusion on Youth. The rest wouldn't make the cut quality wise. For me, the difference is like chalk and cheese.

Interesting. I haven't even listened to the new Megadeth yet so I really can't say anything just yet, but I think I get what you're saying. I actually enjoyed Youthanasia quite a bit, as long as you aren't expecting your neck to get thrashed off its a nice little album. And I agree with basically everything you said about it too.

I'm actually interested to hear this new album not that I expect great things it just intrigues me.
04.06.2013 - 04:26
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Quote:

"The anti-bullying campaign insists "it gets better", but in the case of Supercollider it doesn't."

lel
Good review, probably going to pass on the album. I haven't even bothered checking out the last couple of Megadeth's offerings, don't know why I should break my streak now.
04.06.2013 - 15:14
Rating: 6
Monolithic
♠♠♠
As a Megadeth fan, you didn't even bash the album but I'm amazed to see you getting a lot of criticism for that. I don't approve of that, as it is written in a mild manner and you noted that there's some hope for people to like it.
04.06.2013 - 18:57
# (HASH)

Classics are made and they don't happen so often. Maybe thats why they are classics. So its difficult to break back again (by any band probably!). Again why they are called classics coz they deliver something beyond any musical creation. Megadeth did with some albums, but guys be realistic, we already raised the bar so high for them that it almost gets so difficult to get satisfied now. Dave is like god to me and I grew up practically in Megadeth. I don't deny this album is not good, but it isnt so worse (I felt the score given by the reviewer is justified...bt I didnt like reviewer's sarcastic way of opening it). Probably we would have been saying different things if the name MEGADETH wouldnt have been tagged with the album。。。:banger2:
----
Stay \M/etal!!
04.06.2013 - 21:52
Rating: 5
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
And the responses to the review demonstrate why this album is likely to win biggest letdown and surprise.

in response to the post above, i probably would have said different things had "Megadeth" not been affixed to the album, because a huge chunk of the comparisons would no longer have been applicable. whether Megadeth or the band in the garage down the street, it's still relatively boring and listless. i guess i'm wrong to expect more from dave than the dudes up the block.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.06.2013 - 08:48
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Guys, should I buy this or not!
05.06.2013 - 10:44
chrisʇrenounced

I think Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia are the only Megadeth albums worth owning. Haven't heard this one yet, but I can't imagine chicken-dave squeezing out a golden egg after 19 long years.
05.06.2013 - 11:19
nonsense tuckoo

What I find absurd is that most of the comments come from people who were obviously fans of Killing?, Peace? and So far?, so why would you consider yourselves capable of evaluating the band you are not a fan of. I would never comment on Blind Guardian; I like a couple of their songs, but I basically know nothing about them. However, I can also start hating the frontman and post a spiteful comment (Guardian is just an example). I personally enjoy all of Megadeth's albums; some songs are the best, some are not but that's the case with every single band on the planet. I will always prefer Andy Sneap as a producer, but still? Stop expecting RIP 2 and cut the Metallica crap already. Cheers
05.06.2013 - 11:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mattybu on 03.06.2013 at 23:19
Interesting. I haven't even listened to the new Megadeth yet so I really can't say anything just yet, but I think I get what you're saying. I actually enjoyed Youthanasia quite a bit, as long as you aren't expecting your neck to get thrashed off its a nice little album. And I agree with basically everything you said about it too.

I'm actually interested to hear this new album not that I expect great things it just intrigues me.

Yep, I might actually try giving a go to reviewing this album in a few days time. I think it'll be interesting to see how two people with vastly different opinions on the worth of the band's post-RIP material, still came to relatively similar conclusions about the quality of the new album.
05.06.2013 - 19:45
Zap
Written by BitterCOld on 02.06.2013 at 19:45

boy, someone really doesn't like my way of expressing myself. fwiw, though, if you are going to insult my "choice in words", it would be either "even worse" or "is the worst". While the merits of my writing style are certainly debatable, "even worst" is flat out the wrong choice of words.

Worst means sausage in Dutch. I don't know why I'm saying this.
05.06.2013 - 20:17
# (HASH)

Megadeth album due...everyone's excited (strangely, even they pretend not to be)....album not so good?....bring on reviews and start pretending they were never into it anyways...they're basically forced at a gun point to review and comment!

Megadeth is megadeth...brings excitement...dissapointment?...say the album was bad and move on....

At one time I wouldn't listen nothing less than death, doom & thrash...other genre I would think its gay...now a decade after (with a 3 yr old kid!) I even enjoy funk, blues and jazz, although love for thrash seems to be still in my viens...thats evolution (I dunno good or bad!) but thats how it is! You cant compare this album with peace sells or youthanasia with rust in peace...similarly u can't compare badmotorfinger with king animal or recent ozzy's works, anthrax, metallica, iron maiden and so on....

I'm very dissapointed with this album and dude! ur not wrong if u can expect nothing from dave anymore....but I'll still be excited for every other albums of his to come (unless dave chooses to go electronic & trance!...remember rob zombie!?) and I'll still be buying those anytime...
----
Stay \M/etal!!
05.06.2013 - 20:24
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Zap on 05.06.2013 at 19:45

boy, someone really doesn't like my way of expressing myself. fwiw, though, if you are going to insult my "choice in words", it would be either "even worse" or "is the worst". While the merits of my writing style are certainly debatable, "even worst" is flat out the wrong choice of words.

Worst means sausage in Dutch.

And, boi, I love sausage.
05.06.2013 - 20:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

because current Megadeth material is like a tasteless worst
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.06.2013 - 21:52
Zap
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.06.2013 at 20:49

because current Megadeth material is like a tasteless worst

I knew it had some relevance!
05.06.2013 - 22:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've heard of BratWURST sausages, but not Worst.... you learn something new everyday!
06.06.2013 - 05:15
sladetroityer

Commas and periods go inside the quotations.
08.06.2013 - 07:01
Lustful Maid

Written by Guest on 02.06.2013 at 08:53

Things change. Megadeth (and as you have already mentioned them, Metallica) have changed. Just cause you don't like it thats tough. Your musical taste maybe stuck in a rut but others aren't and we are willing to embrace new ideas and styles.

What the hell are you talking about ? This is defferent from Thrash but still a very comon musical genre - Heavy Hard Rock. Nothing much to do with "Musical Taste". 5.5 is an accurate rating.
08.06.2013 - 07:21
Lustful Maid

5.5 is accurate.
Musically they have maintained their "standard" in recent years.
08.06.2013 - 15:50
Dedcalm
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 08.06.2013 at 07:02

Things change. Megadeth (and as you have already mentioned them, Metallica) have changed. Just cause you don't like it thats tough. Your musical taste maybe stuck in a rut but others aren't and we are willing to embrace new ideas and styles.

What the hell are you talking about ? This is defferent from Thrash but still a very comon musical genre - Heavy Hard Rock. Nothing much to do with "Musical Taste". 5.5 is an accurate rating.

Well you missed the point entirelly, didn't you!?
08.06.2013 - 22:07
Rating: 7
Necdilzor

I'm still hoping Megadeth can release a damn good album again.
09.06.2013 - 00:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.06.2013 at 16:43
Megadeth released a new album? Oh.

Heh, I wasn't the only one who reacted like that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.06.2013 - 16:27
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.06.2013 at 00:42

Written by tea[m]ster on 02.06.2013 at 16:43
Megadeth released a new album? Oh.

Heh, I wasn't the only one who reacted like that.

Yep. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE Megadeth it's just I haven't liked anything by them since RIP.
----
rekt
09.06.2013 - 21:41
Ewokki

So lame album. I like system has failed-> endgame-albums, and classics of course, but this has no good songs. What happened !?
10.06.2013 - 19:10
Scuzzy McDouche

It's a fact that Megadeth has been total shit since RIP, and should go ahead and change their name to Megafail, but god dammit how can you compare Countdown to Suckage to The Black Album? I actually liked the Black Album! Leave it alone!
11.06.2013 - 16:57
Daniell
_爱情_

It's perfectly fine if things change. I absolutely loved "Countdown to Extinction", and quite liked "Youthanasia". These were 2 albums that marked a change in Megadeth's sound. Their later albums were so-so, but most of them had some highlights. "The System Has Failed", "The World Needs a Hero", "Endgame" - these were decent releases with quite a few solid songs each.

But this new album is simply bland, uninspired, lifeless and booooooring. Even "Risk" was better, because it had 2 good songs, while this turd has one...
11.06.2013 - 17:42
Dedcalm
Account deleted
Im not keen on this album either. Personally i love Risk. Always have. Hated Endgame and Cryptic writings.
15.06.2013 - 19:33
Sepulnation

I'm losing my interest on MegadetH... all my respects Dave, but your last productions are extremely boring, "soul-less", even bad... where's the anger??? RIP...
----
fuck shit up!
24.06.2013 - 00:09
Murder

I'm a huge Megadeth fan, but God... this album is lack of EVERYTHING, it has nothing to offer. I'd really enjoyed the last two albums, specially the last one, but listening this was really hard for me... one or two songs, no more. I'm disappointed with Super Collider, boring as hell.
28.06.2013 - 20:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Coolingsrock on 02.06.2013 at 17:20

Burn! baby Burn! Disco inferno! that's sad........ I hear that everytime on the song Burn lol

Not sure how i missed this comment earlier... while not a fan of disco (aside in an ironic sort of way which could now be considered "hipsterish", only i purchased the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack in '91, long before hipsterdom), i legitimately like this song. the bass line, the "sermon" in the middle - "I ain't talking 'bout burning down no building..." has a fun, good vibe to it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 23483 | This month: 39