Metal Storm logo
The Dark Side of Death Metal

Original post

Posted by mz, 04.06.2013 - 16:53
It seems that lately, a new trend in Death Metal has started and bands like Portal,Impetuous Ritual, Abyssal, Mitochondrion, Ulcerate,Ævangelist ,Owl and Antediluvian (which I have yet to check out) managed to create some of the darkest forms of death metal. These bands, while not being exactly empty of technical or brutal elements, are mostly famous because of their harsh atmosphere and often have some non death metal inspiration (like post metal elements in Ulcerate's sound or ambient layers in the music of Mitochondrion,Ævangelist and Owl) . Since most of these bands appeased me and seemingly some other MSers around here, I though it would be appropriate to have an integrated topic about them to promote/discuss/suggest interesting band with similar sound. So, here it begins:what you think about this trend? Can we have a separate category in death metal realm in future for this trend? Also, new suggestions, both MS and non-MS bands, are appreciated.
30.09.2013 - 23:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Rather nice stuff from from Aussie land.
20.10.2013 - 22:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Stumbled onto this accidentally. Seriously good old-school death with an almost stoner groove feel about it at times (on this track anyway). Amazing riffs.

20.10.2013 - 23:38
mz

It seems that this year is pretty good for OSDM. thanks
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.10.2013 - 00:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yep, shaping up very nicely indeed. Death metal is definitely outshining all others genres this year I'd say.
21.10.2013 - 19:43
A.Ghosheh

I really think Pseudogod should be included in this list, Maveth as well. Still I'm finding a hard time liking this new genre (new for me). I've tried listening to Portal alot since they're well known and everybody is talking about them, but I find them boring and can't even finish a whole song.
Mmm... I also think Lykathea is dark enough too, right?
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
21.10.2013 - 19:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by A.Ghosheh on 21.10.2013 at 19:43

Mmm... I also think Lykathea is dark enough too, right?

I always found Lykathea to be one of the least dark death metal bands, quite possibly THE least. I'd even go so far as to call them uplifting. They even sing about hope and salvation apparently

But yeah, this song is totally uplifting in almost every way.

21.10.2013 - 20:26
A.Ghosheh

Written by Guest on 21.10.2013 at 19:51

I always found Lykathea to be one of the least dark death metal bands, quite possibly THE least. I'd even go so far as to call them uplifting.

Yes they do have some cheerful riffs and melodies, yet I find them dark and bleak. Maybe they tried to sound happy and joyful but they failed.
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
21.10.2013 - 23:24
mz

Lykate lacks the suffocating and harrowing atmosphere of most of bands on these pages. Great band nonetheless
----
21.10.2013 - 23:33
mz

Written by A.Ghosheh on 21.10.2013 at 19:43

I've tried listening to Portal alot since they're well known and everybody is talking about them, but I find them boring and can't even finish a whole song.

portal might be too filthy and their production is a little especial. I think that you should try impetuous ritual ( a more straight forward side project of portal with somehow normal production) and abyssal ( really well produced, which works for them pretty well)
----
03.11.2013 - 23:09
3rdWorld
China was a neat
04.11.2013 - 10:59
mz

Written by 3rdWorld on 03.11.2013 at 23:09

You've got fetish recently right?
----
04.11.2013 - 18:57
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by mz on 04.11.2013 at 10:59

04.11.2013 - 21:53
mz

Written by 3rdWorld on 04.11.2013 at 18:57

Written by mz on 04.11.2013 at 10:59

fine by me
----
04.11.2013 - 22:20
3rdWorld
China was a neat
True that Death is very strong this year and tons of them released as well but surprisingly I found Techdeath as well to have a lot of excellent releases.

On the dark waters though, Logos from Antediluvian was mindpwning.
04.11.2013 - 22:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Huh... Would something like this count?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
04.11.2013 - 22:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 04.11.2013 at 22:43

Huh... Would something like this count?

Sounds like symphonic brutal death metal. Not really sure this fits on the dark side. More like the tongue in cheek side. Also sounds a little too whimsical to be called dark.
20.12.2013 - 13:46
Uldreth

This band was introduced to me as a mixture of chaotic death metal like Portal, avantgarde/unorthodox BM like DSO and post-black like AAFCC or Alcest. Quite unique and should appeal to the post-death metal crowd. At least I hope so because I haven't fully listened to this yet but what I heard so far seems to back it up.

http://thesuncameupupontheleft.bandcamp.com/album/and-the-dreams-so-rich-in-color
21.12.2013 - 12:05
mz

Written by Uldreth on 20.12.2013 at 13:46

This band was introduced to me as a mixture of chaotic death metal like Portal, avantgarde/unorthodox BM like DSO and post-black like AAFCC or Alcest. Quite unique and should appeal to the post-death metal crowd. At least I hope so because I haven't fully listened to this yet but what I heard so far seems to back it up.

http://thesuncameupupontheleft.bandcamp.com/album/and-the-dreams-so-rich-in-color

This is some really wierd mix. Still not sure how I like it.
Also, their logo reminds of this

One more thing: I never understood this post-death metal thing. Ulcerate is the only band I could associate with this term. Is post-death really a combination of death metal and post rock/metal?? or just a convention to categorize certain bands with somehow similar approach to mega-dense death metal?
----
21.12.2013 - 14:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by mz on 21.12.2013 at 12:05

One more thing: I never understood this post-death metal thing. Ulcerate is the only band I could associate with this term. Is post-death really a combination of death metal and post rock/metal?? or just a convention to categorize certain bands with somehow similar approach to mega-dense death metal?

Hi, my name is Flourishing. Nice to meet you:

A Momentary Sense Of The Immediate World [EP]
The Sum Of All Fossils
Intersubjectivity [EP]

Another band with some clear post influences (and some sludgy touches here and there)... Quite some post-hardcore on it too. One could also debate that some bands like Baring Teeth, Owl or Mitochondrion also have some of that post-death sounds.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.12.2013 - 15:55
mz

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.12.2013 at 14:31

The Sum Of All Fossils
Intersubjectivity [EP]

Another band with some clear post influences (and some sludgy touches here and there)... Quite some post-hardcore on it too. One could also debate that some bands like Baring Teeth, Owl or Mitochondrion also have some of that post-death sounds.

I'm familiar with these bands and actually was thinking about Mitochondrion and Owl when I was writing my previous post as bands that post-death is over used to describe them. Admittedly, I totally forgot about Flourishing and this band also deserves post death tag (although I'm just slightly familiar with post hardcore) but in the case of the rest of bands you named, I don't really think that post metal/rock/hardcore etc elements are omnipresent enough. Also, what do you think about bands like portal, Aevangelist, Gorguts and Antediluvian being described by that term??
----
21.12.2013 - 15:56
mz

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.12.2013 at 14:31

The Sum Of All Fossils
Intersubjectivity [EP]

I'm familiar with these bands and actually was thinking about Mitochondrion and Owl when I was writing my previous post as bands that post-death is over used to describe them. Admittedly, I totally forgot about Flourishing and this band also deserves post death tag (although I'm just slightly familiar with post hardcore) but in the case of the rest of bands you named, I don't really think that post metal/rock/hardcore etc elements are omnipresent enough. Also, what do you think about bands like portal, Aevangelist, Gorguts and Antediluvian being described by that term??
----
20.01.2018 - 08:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
17.06.2018 - 02:29
Portal is a great band, they sounds so dark.
03.05.2020 - 21:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Resurrecting thread. The first bands that originally pioneered this style of death metal must be here.

Incantation - Onward To Golgotha (1992)

Deteriorot - Demo (1992)

Infester - To The Depths, In Degradation (1994)

Molested - Blod-Draun (1995)

Immolation - Close To A World Below (2000)

I will post modern bands later on but everyone should suggest, this kind of death metal is best death metal.
----
04.05.2020 - 03:38
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Now moving on to the new millenium. Compared to the decade that started since 2010 until 2019, The Death Metal revival was still weak and under development, however there are still some remarkable albums worth checking.

Vomitor - Bleeding The Priest (2001)

Funebrarum - Beneath The Columns of Abandoned Gods (2001)

Kaamos - Kaamos (2002) Available in Spotify

Drawn And Quartered - Extermination Revelry (2003)

Verminous - Impious Sacrilege (2003)

Necros Christos - Grave Damnation Demo (2004)

Dead Congregation - Purifyng Consecrated Ground Demo (2005)

Repugnant - Epitome Of Darkness (2006)

Mitochondrion - Through Cosmic Gaze (2006)

Portal - Outre (2007)

Deathevokation - The Chalice Of Ages (2007)

Mefitic - Devouring Torment (2007)

Vassafor - Vassafor (2007)

Sepulchral Aura - Demonstrational CD MMVII (2007)

Cemetery Urn - Urn Of Blood (2007)

Necrovation - Breed Deadness Blood (2008)

Bastard Priest - Merciless Insane Death Demo (2008)

Karnarium - Karnarium (2008)

Ascended - The Art of Necromancy Demo (2008)

Krypts - Open The Crypt (2009)

Slugathor - Echoes From Beneath (2009)

Excoriate - On Pestilent Winds (2009)

Ignivomous - Death Transmutation (2009)

In the next decade Death Metal revival would be much stronger and lots of new bands would also emerge.
----
05.05.2020 - 08:30
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.08.2013 at 15:21

Chilean bands

Don't forget about this one.

----
08.05.2021 - 23:30
mz

Still my favorite type of death metal.
----
10.06.2021 - 22:09
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Brutal Death Metal In general is usually pretty dark lyrically to me, because it's usually themed around dark subjects like dying and brutal killing. Would you consider blackened Death Metal Dark? Bands like Behemoth, Aeternus, Benighted, Archgoat etc..