Metal Storm logo
About sludge metal and stoner metal

05.06.2013 - 06:47
vgmaster9
I've been wondering, are sludge metal and stoner metal just simply variants of doom metal or are they major genres that are related to doom metal?
05.06.2013 - 20:42
Lit.
Account deleted
They're related to doom metal?
06.06.2013 - 00:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Wow, not even close buck-o.

While a lot of sludge and stoner is based around doom, it's not a sub-sub genre of doom by any means.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.06.2013 - 19:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I'm not a metal historian, but as i understand it...

Sludge grew out of Hard Core. everyone played blindingly fast... then the whole Grunge thing in Seattle (started before the bands broke with Nevermind), the Melvins played SLOW. for whatever reason that really caught on in the south, particularly Louisiana (it's also too fucking hot and humid to play fast there) and sort of launched away.

the Sabbath influence is undeniable, a byproduct of slowing down meant expanding influences, so the two genres are tied.

As for Stoner, again, zero historical research here, but i imagine it is an offshoot of doom with Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf".
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.06.2013 - 06:54
vgmaster9
Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.06.2013 at 00:43

Wow, not even close buck-o.

While a lot of sludge and stoner is based around doom, it's not a sub-sub genre of doom by any means.

I guess so, just like how groove metal is based around thrash.
14.09.2013 - 19:29
Aristarchos
Written by BitterCOld on 06.06.2013 at 19:07

As for Stoner, again, zero historical research here, but i imagine it is an offshoot of doom with Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf".

The roots of stoner could be traced back more far to at least to Sir Lord Baltimore
14.09.2013 - 19:32
Aristarchos
This may not answer your question, but if you are interested to read my attempt to a history of the genres you can read it here: http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=1255. I'm not an expert of the genres so I'm not saying my attempt of describing it necessarily is fully correct. It is more based around research than my own listening experiences, unlike my other articles which are based on both.
27.09.2013 - 15:46
Aristarchos
But if I should try to answer your question:

Sludge is the meeting of doom and hardcore, why it was originally called doomcore.
Stonerrock has nothing to do with doom, while stoner metal I think could be seen as the meeting between stoner rock and doom.
29.09.2013 - 16:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Aristarchos on 27.09.2013 at 15:46

But if I should try to answer your question:

Sludge is the meeting of doom and hardcore, why it was originally called doomcore.

no idea where you get the idea from sludge was ever called doomcore, because it never was.
Doomcore is however a subgenre of techno. It is a slower form of hardcore techno.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.10.2013 - 05:03
metalpeer
----
METALPEER.COM - HEAVY METAL AUCTIONS
10.10.2013 - 19:57
SmokyPeat
As BitterCold said, I believe they're both an offset of Sabbath's music at the very root. Although Sabbath decisively has a more direct influence on Stoner.