3 - The Embracing Circle
    4 - The Pursuit Of Truth
    5 - Surrender, Trust & Passion

Disc II [DVD][deluxe edition bonus]
01. 5.1 Audio Mix

Additional info
Released as:

Standard album:
- Features the nine-track disc and a 28-page booklet designed Hugh Syme.

Deluxe Edition CD
- The digipak includes a bonus disc of 5.1 audio mix and expanded packaging by Juno Award winning graphic artist, Hugh Syme.

180-gram 2-LP
- Embossed gatefold vinyl

Limited Edition collector's box set bundle
- Custom 2GB Majesty Symbol USB Stick containing:
* Isolated stems of "Behind The Veil"
* Take This For The Pain (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)" - 30 minute documentary.
- Exclusive 7" of "The Bigger Picture" on clear vinyl, wrapped and sealed with a custom wax seal.
- Gel-skin iDots of Majesty Symbol for iPhone.
- 2-Disc embossed Deluxe Edition digi with bonus disc of 5.1 audio mix + expanded packaging.
- 180-gram 2-LP embossed gatefold vinyl with high quality FLAC files of full album.
- Artwork by Hugh Syme.

Found in 49 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 4

Comments: 120   Visited by: 1399 users
24.09.2013 - 16:19
diamondblack
Written by Hollberr on 24.09.2013 at 06:20

For me, it's a completely uninspired album. Way too pop. Bigger Picture is probably their worst song ever.
Bad transitions throughout the album (Behing the Veil starts so well, but the rest of the song doesn't connect with the intro). Illumination Theory has its moments, but I feel it's just a sequence of riffs that dont' really make a whole. And let's face it, the song is 19minutes long, not 22. What comes a minute after it's finished is completely irrelevant.

I feel it's an album made by amateurs. Truly.

Hi Hollberr,

What you consider a professionally made album? If you recon that DT is amateurs. I'd like to know your opinion.
24.09.2013 - 19:17
Rating: 7
Lethrokai

And let's face it, the song is 19minutes long, not 22. What comes a minute after it's finished is completely irrelevant.

What comes a minute after it is still music, and possibly one of the greatest ways they could have finished off the album. That one section alone was what showed me that DT actually can make simple, decent, emotion-tugging music. One of my favourite parts of any of their songs, period. Possibly some of the best music for reminiscence or reflection that I've heard.

I don't know how you could consider that part to be irrelevant when it was like the band was personally gift wrapping the album for you.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
25.09.2013 - 06:23
Rating: 5
Hollberr
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Hollberr,

What you consider a professionally made album? If you recon that DT is amateurs. I'd like to know your opinion.

This album seems amateurish to me because it has no internal structure. Songs like Behind the Veil, Surrender to Reason, and Illumination Theory are poorly structured, and each have very questionnable transitions (for example the acoustic part in Surrender to Reason. I still don't get that).
The album is full of generic, tasteless choruses. It seems they tried to keep the heavy, popish sound of ADTOE (like Outcry of Bridges in the Sky), but failed in making their melodies as catchy.
Also the album seems too much compressed. Drums sounds almost fake, especially the snare. Labrie sings too high at the end of Illumination Theory and screws the possibly beautiful solo of Petrucci (we only hear half, first half being hidden by Labrie's now disgusting high voice.

I can recognize the goods also. Petrucci's sound is fantastic, Myung is back in the mix, Enemy Inside is great, and Mangini rocks the drums. Individually they are phenomenal, but to my taste and to what level I'm used to with these guys, they made a poor album.
25.09.2013 - 06:38
Hollberr
Written by Lethrokai on 24.09.2013 at 19:17

And let's face it, the song is 19minutes long, not 22. What comes a minute after it's finished is completely irrelevant.

What comes a minute after it is still music, and possibly one of the greatest ways they could have finished off the album. That one section alone was what showed me that DT actually can make simple, decent, emotion-tugging music. One of my favourite parts of any of their songs, period. Possibly some of the best music for reminiscence or reflection that I've heard.

I don't know how you could consider that part to be irrelevant when it was like the band was personally gift wrapping the album for you.

I have nothing against gift wrapping an album. Beneath the Surface was a nice way to gift wrap ADTOE. But Illumination Theory still ends at 19min07. What comes after is still irrelevant, gift wrapping or not, beautiful or not. But then, the song has a poor structure so why not?
25.09.2013 - 16:05
Lethrokai
Written by Hollberr on 25.09.2013 at 06:38

Written by Lethrokai on 24.09.2013 at 19:17

I have nothing against gift wrapping an album. Beneath the Surface was a nice way to gift wrap ADTOE. But Illumination Theory still ends at 19min07. What comes after is still irrelevant, gift wrapping or not, beautiful or not. But then, the song has a poor structure so why not?

Ah, I see what you mean now. Still don't exactly agree with the whole "irrelevant" thing, but to each man his own.
----
26.09.2013 - 15:16
Rating: 9
(o> . <o> )
If you love Rush and DT then this is it.
27.09.2013 - 02:32
Opethian
Sounds like i should stay away from this one for awhile
27.09.2013 - 02:33
Opethian
Written by (o> . <o> ) on 26.09.2013 at 15:16

I like these guys to some extreme point, but dude ... Ayreon is where its all at
27.09.2013 - 14:04
Lethrokai

Pretty much this, except Megadeth should possibly be added as well. The more metal songs at points sounded like a progressive version of Megadeth.
----
27.09.2013 - 14:51
Mc_Twist
They're doing the same album again and again.
Not bad but could be MUCH better!
27.09.2013 - 22:53
Nicko's Nose
The same album again and again? What the fuck? This album sounds nothing like Systematic Chaos or BC&SL.
27.09.2013 - 23:03
Daniell
_爱情_
elite

Whether or not you like the album is entirely your business, and that's fine with me. But what you said here is beyond ridiculous. You're either deaf or insane.
27.09.2013 - 23:56
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think it's really good, but nowhere near my Dream Theater standards. The only songs which really stands out for me are "The Looking Glass" and "Along for the Ride". The rest is absolutely good, but they don't make me wanna come back over and over again.
----
28.09.2013 - 10:24
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Very radical opinions about this album. No surprise for me, since every new DT album since Six Degrees is quite controversial.
28.09.2013 - 18:14
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
This album obviously needs some time, but still this is pretty standard DT stuff. I keep thinking of Images and Words on many songs, but False Awakening Suite really surprised me: I like that kind of epic music. Besides that intro, there is no song which I like in its entirety, but overall the album is heavily good.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.09.2013 - 05:48
MaxDP

For me, it's a completely uninspired album. Way too pop. Bigger Picture is probably their worst song ever.
Bad transitions throughout the album (Behing the Veil starts so well, but the rest of the song doesn't connect with the intro). Illumination Theory has its moments, but I feel it's just a sequence of riffs that dont' really make a whole. And let's face it, the song is 19minutes long, not 22. What comes a minute after it's finished is completely irrelevant.

I totally agree with Hollberr,
This album is way too uninspired for such a band, i liked about 2 songs on the whole album (enigma and illumination theory) but the rest are really bad songs. If you compare this album to other prog stuff, you can see they aren't a force in progressive metal anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love DT, they are great musicians but their newests album aren't good at all. James Labrie's vocals are so boring, hell Rebecca Black sings better...
They should have named this album all filler no killers...
29.09.2013 - 13:23
(o> . <o> )
Written by Opethian on 27.09.2013 at 02:33

I like these guys to some extreme point, but dude ... Ayreon is where its all at

Never heard of Ayreon.
29.09.2013 - 13:46
Rating: 8
Masonics
Written by MaxDP on 29.09.2013 at 05:48

I totally agree with Hollberr,
This album is way too uninspired for such a band, i liked about 2 songs on the whole album (enigma and illumination theory) but the rest are really bad songs. If you compare this album to other prog stuff, you can see they aren't a force in progressive metal anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love DT, they are great musicians but their newests album aren't good at all. James Labrie's vocals are so boring, hell Rebecca Black sings better...
They should have named this album all filler no killers...

No band singer can sound worse than Rebecca black! Thats Treason to suggest!
29.09.2013 - 14:50
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by (o> . <o> ) on 29.09.2013 at 13:23

Never heard of Ayreon.

You are officially a metal newbie No offence
29.09.2013 - 16:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Hex_Omega on 29.09.2013 at 14:50

Never heard of Ayreon.

be glad someone has actually not heard of that overrated Arjan Lucassen project
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.09.2013 - 23:11
Lethrokai
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.09.2013 at 16:28

Never heard of Ayreon.

be glad someone has actually not heard of that overrated Arjan Lucassen project

Overrated it may be, but it's one of the only overrated projects that actually deserves and earns the hype it gets.
----
30.09.2013 - 11:27
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never heard of Ayreon.

best answer EVER!
30.09.2013 - 16:58
(o> . <o> )

Never heard of Ayreon.

C'mon =( I was listening to metal since I was 7.
30.09.2013 - 18:47
Rating: 10
Groby94
Written by (o> . <o> ) on 30.09.2013 at 16:58

Never heard of Ayreon.

C'mon =( I was listening to metal since I was 7.

Give them a try if you haven't listened to them yet, it's worth it . You can't really compare Ayreon with DT. Except for the fact that they both are prog bands, they don't have anything similar, in my opinion. But in terms of quality, both are amazing bands. I still prefer DT though .
02.10.2013 - 04:03
Opethian

Written by Opethian on 27.09.2013 at 02:33

Never heard of Ayreon.

.................................................. Into the Electric Castle RIGHT FUCKING NOW!!!
02.10.2013 - 07:44
Hollberr
Written by Daniell on 27.09.2013 at 23:03

Whether or not you like the album is entirely your business, and that's fine with me. But what you said here is beyond ridiculous. You're either deaf or insane.

And you're either retarded or disrespectful.
I didn't say it WAS an album made by amateurs, I said I FELT like it was an album made by amateurs. There's so much bad stuff in this album, and so few hot spots in their songs, that to me it really doesn't seem like they're been doing this for 25 years. Or maybe the opposite. It's been 25 years and now they're not inspired anymore. I don't know. But one thing I do know is that I hate this album. And that it's fine with you.
02.10.2013 - 12:54
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
This is truly a disappointment for me - most songs sound like they're meant for the radio, 4/4 time signatures overwhelm the most part of the album, solos just for the sake of soloing followed by overly cheesy choruses, rigid and predictable song structures.

I'm not convinced by this album at all.
02.10.2013 - 13:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Carl Berg on 02.10.2013 at 12:54

solos just for the sake of soloing followed by overly cheesy choruses, rigid and predictable song structures.

they have been guilty of that for the largest part of their career
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.10.2013 - 13:19
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.10.2013 at 13:09

Written by Carl Berg on 02.10.2013 at 12:54

solos just for the sake of soloing followed by overly cheesy choruses, rigid and predictable song structures.

ABSOLUTELY !
----
The Fangirl.
02.10.2013 - 13:57
mz
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.10.2013 at 13:09

QFT
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.

Hits total: 29083 | This month: 36